Dog Schwarz - Flying Dog Brewery

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Consumed on 1/17/09

750ml bottle

Popped this one open at the January Twin Cities BA Gathering. Poured a pitch black color with a petite brown head. The aroma was that of smoke which is not my favorite. The taste was plein de smoke along with some fruit. Although a smooth mouthfeel, this one just isn't that drinkable to me. I do not like smoky beers and this one definitely isn't worth its $17 price tag. Go ahead and try this one if its free but you're better off not wasting your money.

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance is good. Dark and smokey looking, with a decent head of tan bubbles. Smell is very smokey with a bit of dry malt and no really noticable hops. Taste is bacon grease... that is the only thing I can describe it as. Mouthfeel is pretty decent, low carbonation and medium in body. Drinkability is ok.

2.81/5  rDev -29.2%

This is my first Schwarz or Rauchbier. So I am reviewing partially to my taste and partially to the style.

A very dark brown pour. Not much head to speak of.

Scent is of peet, and a bit smokey. was this aged in scotch barrels?

Tangy flavor, with an overpowering smokey flavor. It attacks the top of my mouth aggressively. The smoke is the 2nd taste I get, but then overpowers everything and I keep tasting it in my nose. As the smoke dies, I get that peety flavor on the front of my tongue again. Maybe this is what a schwarzbier is supposed to be, but I'm not a fan. Am I missing something?

There's a decent thickness to the body, but it's still thinner than I was anticipating. Reminds me of a thin porter.

I personally cannot finish this bottle, but like I said, I think it is just that I'm not familiar with the style. At least I tried something new this week!!

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last