Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,111 | Hads: 3,726

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass

A- Pours hazy amber color with solid 2 finger creamy head that slowly dissipates to a decent 1 finger that stays around. Killer lacing!

S- Aroma is mostly that of an American IPA, mostly piny and slightly citrus hop nose. Some Belgian malt and yeast nose creep through

T- Starts out with a strong Belgian malty taste while the hops slowly fade in and finish out moderately bitter with a good Belgian yeast character to finish it all out. Flavors definitely change as this beer warms and opens up.

M- Smooth silky mouth feel, a little more carbonation wouldn't hurt but also doesn't cost it any points either.

D- Definitely very drinkable, refreshing yet satisfying for all the hop heads out there. Best of both worlds if your a fan of Belgians and IPA's , a perfect harmonious balance between the two. Wish I could find this on the shelf more often, definitely my favorite American spin on a Belgian!!

This beer had the pleasure of being my very first IPA and I was not disappointed. Beautiful pour with a nice pillowy head. I could not wait to dig in. Has a really great fruity aroma that just permeated through the whole tasting. I loved the lingering bitterness that just keeps building as you drink it. Flying Dog has a winner with this beer.

A bitter one, but she's so good. I may get my pleasure from a variety of beers, but I go home to her. Pours a copper/golden color. Bitter and hoppy flavor with a bit of tang. Pleasant aroma. Alcohol content is up there, but not high as to overpower the flavor. Delicious and soothing.

Took one look at this beer and as soon as i read that it was a Belgian style i was sold, let alone that it was an IPA, fuck ya!!

A: Very heavy amber color to it, looks like there is not much carbonation or life inside, yet unable to see through the glass so there must be allot of malty ingredients added to the batch.

S: Smell is slightly intense, heavy in the pine smell, can totally tell that is in IPA just based off the smell.

T: smooth, sweet and so easy to drink. Has a sharp entrance at first, but after goes down the throat all it leaves you with is such and IPA bitter flavor it will keep you begging for more.

M: After just taking sips of the beer tho, it kinda shows you the complete opposite of its taste. Allowing you to leave it in your mouth so smooth and subtle, until your ready to swallow it whole in which you encounter its full wrath and flavor.

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

Poured a cloudy amber color with a large amount of fluffy off-white head, very good retention.

The second I got a whiff of this I knew it was going to be awesome. Citrus was first then floral and piney, some spicey malts.

I was unprepared for how delicious this beer was, I felt my life was made better somehow after the first sip. First it was sweet and lemony, also some grapefruit and a bit piney. Then more floral and earthy. Ultimately finishing with a dry bitterness.

Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, also a bit chewy.

After a few sips I though I couldn't imagine a better beverage. This was packed with flavor, complex and very easy to drink. It was only my first Belgian IPA, I will certainly be on the lookout for more of the same.

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

An absolutely amazing IPA. Well worth the "20 year wait" for this beverage.

the aroma is heavenly; saturated with glorious hops
Taste is hops, hops, hops
I could drink this every day.

Its winter and I normally don't drink pale ales in the winter, but I had to try it, and I'm VERY glad that I did. I wish this to become a permanent fixture in the flying dog line of fine beverages

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

A great Belgian-style beer! Just experienced Stone Vertical Epic 10 and to be honest reminds me a lot of it's taste. (Belgian Influence) Smells of grapes, pears, bananas, and apples! Love it, too bad it's just an anniversary ale. Good Job Flying Dog!

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

From my experience with American-brewed Belgians (ESPECIALLY IPA's), many are hit and miss. THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is a punch square in the face.

A good one.

Yep. Right up there with Stone's Cali-Belgique, Flying Dog has found what I'd even go so far as to call a good candidate for a flagship.

POURS a slightly hazy, light copper with an excellent 2 fingers of super-fine head (especially from the tap, it is important to use a wide-mouth glass, as the foam tends to rise much more in narrower glasses; as the name implies, Belgian style tulips work best). Slow to recede and packs a rich, beautiful NOSE of caramel, resiny pine and a hint of lemon and apricot.

The TASTE is smooth and balanced, sweet malt intermingling with hints of the tell-tale clove/banana character imparted by the Belgian yeast that are actually allowed to shine as pine and orange rind from the hops impart very little bitterness; making an overall sweet Belgian beer while still remaning distinctly IPA.

Dangerously smooth and delicious for a +8%. I'd petition to make Flying Dog keep this year-round!

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

Slightly hazy amber with a whipped off white head. Lots of pine, grapefruit, and orange initially in the nose. Digging a little deeper you get some banana, spice, and caramel. Resiny pine right off the bat in the taste. Lots of bubblegum leads to banana and clove. Bitter citrus hops on the finish. There's also a vanilla note that pops up here and there. I absolutely love this stuff. I'm a big fan of Belgian influenced brews as well as IPA's so a combo is right up my alley. Just a hint of warming alcohol, but it's felt rather than tasted. Superbly drinkable.

*A couple sixers later and, after going back and forth a few times, I'm bumping this score up a touch. I keep waffling as to give this a five or not. Right now this is the best beer I've drank as far as my buds are concerned. If I have to add, I'd mention that the bubblegum really comes in after a few of these

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

One of my favorite beers
12 once bottle poured into snifter glass

Appearance: Crystal clear carbonated well lots of tiny bubbles.

Smell: Very Belgium smell easy for a beginner to identify

Taste: Taste bitter and hoppy. 8.3 abv is not evident at all.

Mouthfeel: First few sips are a shock to the taste buds, after a few sips flavor is smoother,

Drinkability: Great

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

I had this beer on tap in Clovis California.

A. Pours a beautiful orangish, amber color. Thick, fluffy, slightly off white head with great retention and lacing.

S. The Belgian yeast scent is definately noticable. Hops are there as well, citrus and pine aroma.

T. Wonderful beer. A great balance between the unique flavor of Belgian yeast and a hoppy American IPA.

M. Medium bodied with nice bitter hop feel. The alcohol warming is a little more present than in most IPAs but it is quite pleasant.

D. This beer merges my two favorite styles and does a fabulous job at it. I could drink these all day long.

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

One of my new favorites. Big on hops - great aroma - overall well made beer.

Something about this hop characteristic sets it apart. The aroma is almost that of fresh / raw hops. Very strong, gives it a great bite, but not overwhelming.

I have bought more than one human should consume in the last two weeks, and I fear that once the production run is over I may be curled up on the bathroom floor calling liquor stores to see if I can get a quick fix. They need to make this a fulltime production beer.

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

This is the first beer I have reviewed and I confess to a preference to heavily hopped ales. I am surprised there are so few reviews for this beer.

Beautiful color, nice head, crisp aroma and a taste that will knock your socks off.

May they never retire this one!

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

A fave of mine! Who doesn't love Ralph Steadman's art work and hilarious write ups! As Ralph says, this beer is pure Gonzo! I think it's very tastey. I love the sweet malt and grapefruit hops. If my local liquor store runs out, I grab Flying Dog's "Snake Dog IPA".

4.87/5  rDev +23.3%

Every now and then a beer comes along that slaps you in the face and tells you "you know
nothing." Raging bitch is the latest of these beers for me.

Poured from a tap into a standard pint glass, this beer glows a welcoming deep golden-amber
color with a decent amount of dark white head remaining in the glass. The smell is, simply put,
incredible. - a rich, crisp, citrusy bouquet with hints of sweet tropical fruits (mango, maybe?)

Now, the taste... It hits your tongue with a nice, spicy hoppiness up front but then, instead of the
usual lingering bitterness that people find the most off putting aspect of ipas, it turns sweet..
Raging bitch has this pervasive ruby red grapefruit sweetness that most ipas don't have, with hints
of citrusy thyme and sweet apple. I was with friends who generally dislike bitter beers- ipas especially-
but they all enjoyed it.

Its not too light and not too heavy on the tongue, with an almost silky mouthfeel- a perfect beer to pique
someones interests in ipas and bridge the (long) gap between hoppy and sweet. I would normally not
recommend such a seemingly intimidating ipa to just everyone, but I think most people will enjoy it.
What else can I say?
Just go find one and see for yourself.

P.S. Sorry for the weird breaks, I did this on my blackberry and can't seem to fix it...

4.87/5  rDev +23.3%

Pours a great mid-to-dark copper color with a slight orange tint at the bottom of the glass; it has great initial head, very nice lasting head, and wonderful lacing. Very deep hoppy scent with a nice citrus tone; also has an interesting bubble-gum scent (guessing from the Belgian yeast); very nice deep malt back bone. Great taste, a wonderfully thick IPA; great malt presence with a wonderful pale sweetness; excellent hop attributes, with great citrus and slightly earthy tones; a nice bubble-gum sweetness in the end that merges with a very nice and deep hop aftertaste, that has a slight pine edge to the other aforementioned hop tastes. Goes down thick with a bit of hop roughness.

4.87/5  rDev +23.3%

I love the hops in this stuff. Very floral and strong citrus flavors with the bitterness of good grapefruit. For 8.3% ABV, this is a very drinkable hi-abv beer. I didn't realize the strength at first.

The belgian characteristics of this IPA make for a nice soft mouthfeel. I know it's labeled "Belgian-style IPA", but I'm calling it an IPA because the hops clearly dominate this brew.

I've had more IPAs than I can count and I consider the IPA my preferred style. So it's saying a lot that I put this in my top-5 IPAs of all time!

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

This beer was fantastic. I would have to say this is a top3 beer in my book. Glad I made the purchase.

A= wonderful copper light brown look

S= you get notes of all types of fruit essence just a nice smell

T= exceptional taste, hoppy yet not bitter at all

M= very clean feel with a nice tastey yet clean finish

D= way too drinkable..8.3% ABV..

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Great name... Great taste... Perfect beer....
Belgium style IPA's are my favorite of all beer types, so I am slightly swayed on my opinion of this beer, but it is outstanding.
It doesn't seem like an almost 9% content beer. Very drinkable and perfect blend of taste. Pours nice, not too much head for this type of beer. Typically you have to be very cautious with the pour, but it was not bad at all. Overall this beer finds it way near the top of my beer list, maybe even into the 10 top all time.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

I've been savoring this six-pack over the past 2 weeks. Poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a deep ruby red with a huge, thick white head. Took a couple of minutes for that head to die down. Fine lacing. If you showed me a photo of this glass when I was at work, you'd break my heart.

Herbal hops and a little bubblegum in the smell. Moving on.

I love the Belgian IPA style, but this is a cut above. Bubblegum, a light breadiness, heavy carbonation has it dancing across my tongue. Bitterness is moderate, but there's a huge rush of spicy/herbal hops. Bready finish with a tiny bite from the alcohol.

Good body to this one- actually a little heavy in the body considering there's almost no discernible sweetness. Victory malt? Heavy carbonation keeps it from feeling syrupy.

Alcohol content be damned, I'm going to drink a ton of this in 2010. I hear it's selling fast, so I'll probably buy it by the case. Each beer begs for another to follow.

I think this is going to be huge for Flying Dog. A lot of people are mixed on them, and this is going to do huge things for their reputation.

It'll also be good for the style. It's not a common one among U.S. brewers right now, but I think we'll see a lot more Belgian IPAs come next year.

4.84/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I love this beer, one of the best imperial IPAs you can find on the east coast, let alone Baltimore. Absolutely delicious and definitely worth a try. On tap in the Baltimore/Washington area is best but from bottles delicious nonetheless. definitely worth a try.

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured into a tulip glass, only printings on the bottle say 109B11..whatever that means.

Appearance is gorgeous, a hazy golden copper with a 3 finger head after a semi-aggressive pour.

Smell is very interesting, giving up candy, little bit of hops, and citrus fruit.

In tasting, I don't get a lot of the Belgian styling that is advertised. I can certainly see the yeast, and taste it, but this is not a Belgian beer. It stands alone very completely as having nothing like it, to my knowledge. Citrus abounds here. It's the most interesting blend of subtle bitter hops, that turn into a sugary citrus, grapefruit and lemongrass. Two sips in rapid succession yield the slightest amount of bite, but nothing that would suggest 8.5%. IMO, it is nothing short of electrifying to the tastebuds. I think this might be an American masterpiece of a beer.

Mouthfeel has an oily taste that turns effervescent on the drydown. Perfect amount of carbonation. Sort of coats the inside of the mouth though. I enjoy this, as it allows for a lingering flavor, but I could see how YMMV.

Drinkability is dangerously phenomenal at 8.5%ABV. I could kill three of these without a problem back to back to back.

This may be my favorite beer yet, and one that I absolutely am going to have to have a constant supply of. It eludes categorization. Thus, it's not a one trick pony, and may very easily appeal even to those who don't exactly love IPAs. I wouldn't even hesitate to recommend to honestly anyone with any sort of palate for beer.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

This was my first ever beer on cask and I absolutely loved it. The fact that it wasn't cold took a bit of getting used to but by its end this turned out to be one of the best beers I've had. I'm not sure how much of a difference the cask makes but regardless I plan on ordering a few more of these.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Poured a dark copper color, and was lievly and foamy, with a good two finger head. First smell was of the Belgian Yeast, almost instantly followed by a lovely citurs hop presence. In addition, it smells slightly herbal, like it has a touch of Rosemary. Taste was also herbal, and starngely a combination of hoppy citurs mixed deeply with the Belgian yeast slightly musty tastes. What I'm tryint to say, as an IPA lover and a Belgian lover, is that the taste is, wow, almost perfect for me. It has everything I love about beer all in one bottle.
Mouthfeel? Euphoric. Can't wait to buy more of this stuff, and am left wondering how thisd escaped me for so long...

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Had a big bottle but that didn't taste right. Jeffo insisted I try it fresh so I did.

Had these bottles taken straight from the case it came in at Bert's bierhuis.

Came out a little red, copper if you will but very clear. Almost no head.

Nice aroma. Citrus and Hop. Very West Coast.

BOOM it's in my mouth. I already know I love this beer from the very first taste. Bittersweet malts, a little citrus and lots of bitterness.

Very crisp with just the right amount of carbonation. 8.3% abv but I could drink this all night long.

Having grown up on Belgian Pale Ale's I don't quite see where this would fit in that style. A US West Coast IPA this is imho and a very good one. The best is that I can get this fresh and for a reasonable price on my end of the pond. Will make get on my bike to buy a few fresh one's whenever I can.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery