2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,734 | Reviews: 1,030 | Show All Ratings:
apache119

United Kingdom (Wales)

This beer had the pleasure of being my very first IPA and I was not disappointed. Beautiful pour with a nice pillowy head. I could not wait to dig in. Has a really great fruity aroma that just permeated through the whole tasting. I loved the lingering bitterness that just keeps building as you drink it. Flying Dog has a winner with this beer.

09-04-2010 16:05:48 | More by apache119
yotyz250f

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass

A- Pours hazy amber color with solid 2 finger creamy head that slowly dissipates to a decent 1 finger that stays around. Killer lacing!

S- Aroma is mostly that of an American IPA, mostly piny and slightly citrus hop nose. Some Belgian malt and yeast nose creep through

T- Starts out with a strong Belgian malty taste while the hops slowly fade in and finish out moderately bitter with a good Belgian yeast character to finish it all out. Flavors definitely change as this beer warms and opens up.

M- Smooth silky mouth feel, a little more carbonation wouldn't hurt but also doesn't cost it any points either.

D- Definitely very drinkable, refreshing yet satisfying for all the hop heads out there. Best of both worlds if your a fan of Belgians and IPA's , a perfect harmonious balance between the two. Wish I could find this on the shelf more often, definitely my favorite American spin on a Belgian!!

12-21-2010 02:12:08 | More by yotyz250f
Bernardkowalski

Took one look at this beer and as soon as i read that it was a Belgian style i was sold, let alone that it was an IPA, fuck ya!!

A: Very heavy amber color to it, looks like there is not much carbonation or life inside, yet unable to see through the glass so there must be allot of malty ingredients added to the batch.

S: Smell is slightly intense, heavy in the pine smell, can totally tell that is in IPA just based off the smell.

T: smooth, sweet and so easy to drink. Has a sharp entrance at first, but after goes down the throat all it leaves you with is such and IPA bitter flavor it will keep you begging for more.

M: After just taking sips of the beer tho, it kinda shows you the complete opposite of its taste. Allowing you to leave it in your mouth so smooth and subtle, until your ready to swallow it whole in which you encounter its full wrath and flavor.

02-19-2013 04:01:06 | More by Bernardkowalski
scorched

4.97/5  rDev +27.4%

An absolutely amazing IPA. Well worth the "20 year wait" for this beverage.

the aroma is heavenly; saturated with glorious hops
Taste is hops, hops, hops
I could drink this every day.

Its winter and I normally don't drink pale ales in the winter, but I had to try it, and I'm VERY glad that I did. I wish this to become a permanent fixture in the flying dog line of fine beverages

01-13-2010 01:52:25 | More by scorched
BeerCon5

4.97/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured a cloudy amber color with a large amount of fluffy off-white head, very good retention.

The second I got a whiff of this I knew it was going to be awesome. Citrus was first then floral and piney, some spicey malts.

I was unprepared for how delicious this beer was, I felt my life was made better somehow after the first sip. First it was sweet and lemony, also some grapefruit and a bit piney. Then more floral and earthy. Ultimately finishing with a dry bitterness.

Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, also a bit chewy.

After a few sips I though I couldn't imagine a better beverage. This was packed with flavor, complex and very easy to drink. It was only my first Belgian IPA, I will certainly be on the lookout for more of the same.

05-07-2010 19:38:04 | More by BeerCon5
Givemesome

4.97/5  rDev +27.4%

A great Belgian-style beer! Just experienced Stone Vertical Epic 10 and to be honest reminds me a lot of it's taste. (Belgian Influence) Smells of grapes, pears, bananas, and apples! Love it, too bad it's just an anniversary ale. Good Job Flying Dog!

10-18-2010 01:35:37 | More by Givemesome
alkemy

4.95/5  rDev +26.9%

Slightly hazy amber with a whipped off white head. Lots of pine, grapefruit, and orange initially in the nose. Digging a little deeper you get some banana, spice, and caramel. Resiny pine right off the bat in the taste. Lots of bubblegum leads to banana and clove. Bitter citrus hops on the finish. There's also a vanilla note that pops up here and there. I absolutely love this stuff. I'm a big fan of Belgian influenced brews as well as IPA's so a combo is right up my alley. Just a hint of warming alcohol, but it's felt rather than tasted. Superbly drinkable.

*A couple sixers later and, after going back and forth a few times, I'm bumping this score up a touch. I keep waffling as to give this a five or not. Right now this is the best beer I've drank as far as my buds are concerned. If I have to add, I'd mention that the bubblegum really comes in after a few of these

02-07-2010 00:52:53 | More by alkemy
whiskeysoda

4.95/5  rDev +26.9%

From my experience with American-brewed Belgians (ESPECIALLY IPA's), many are hit and miss. THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is a punch square in the face.

A good one.

Yep. Right up there with Stone's Cali-Belgique, Flying Dog has found what I'd even go so far as to call a good candidate for a flagship.

POURS a slightly hazy, light copper with an excellent 2 fingers of super-fine head (especially from the tap, it is important to use a wide-mouth glass, as the foam tends to rise much more in narrower glasses; as the name implies, Belgian style tulips work best). Slow to recede and packs a rich, beautiful NOSE of caramel, resiny pine and a hint of lemon and apricot.

The TASTE is smooth and balanced, sweet malt intermingling with hints of the tell-tale clove/banana character imparted by the Belgian yeast that are actually allowed to shine as pine and orange rind from the hops impart very little bitterness; making an overall sweet Belgian beer while still remaning distinctly IPA.

Dangerously smooth and delicious for a +8%. I'd petition to make Flying Dog keep this year-round!

07-06-2010 23:59:40 | More by whiskeysoda
PhillaTheSpilla

4.95/5  rDev +26.9%

One of my favorite beers
12 once bottle poured into snifter glass

Appearance: Crystal clear carbonated well lots of tiny bubbles.

Smell: Very Belgium smell easy for a beginner to identify

Taste: Taste bitter and hoppy. 8.3 abv is not evident at all.

Mouthfeel: First few sips are a shock to the taste buds, after a few sips flavor is smoother,

Drinkability: Great

09-10-2010 15:16:14 | More by PhillaTheSpilla
ButlerBeerworks

4.93/5  rDev +26.4%

One of my new favorites. Big on hops - great aroma - overall well made beer.

Something about this hop characteristic sets it apart. The aroma is almost that of fresh / raw hops. Very strong, gives it a great bite, but not overwhelming.

I have bought more than one human should consume in the last two weeks, and I fear that once the production run is over I may be curled up on the bathroom floor calling liquor stores to see if I can get a quick fix. They need to make this a fulltime production beer.

01-19-2010 22:03:34 | More by ButlerBeerworks
Bevitore

Maryland

4.93/5  rDev +26.4%

This is the first beer I have reviewed and I confess to a preference to heavily hopped ales. I am surprised there are so few reviews for this beer.

Beautiful color, nice head, crisp aroma and a taste that will knock your socks off.

May they never retire this one!

04-09-2010 17:40:36 | More by Bevitore
californiakulak

4.93/5  rDev +26.4%

I had this beer on tap in Clovis California.

A. Pours a beautiful orangish, amber color. Thick, fluffy, slightly off white head with great retention and lacing.

S. The Belgian yeast scent is definately noticable. Hops are there as well, citrus and pine aroma.

T. Wonderful beer. A great balance between the unique flavor of Belgian yeast and a hoppy American IPA.

M. Medium bodied with nice bitter hop feel. The alcohol warming is a little more present than in most IPAs but it is quite pleasant.

D. This beer merges my two favorite styles and does a fabulous job at it. I could drink these all day long.

10-20-2010 15:38:33 | More by californiakulak
TonyReaves

Maine

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

I've been savoring this six-pack over the past 2 weeks. Poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a deep ruby red with a huge, thick white head. Took a couple of minutes for that head to die down. Fine lacing. If you showed me a photo of this glass when I was at work, you'd break my heart.

Herbal hops and a little bubblegum in the smell. Moving on.

I love the Belgian IPA style, but this is a cut above. Bubblegum, a light breadiness, heavy carbonation has it dancing across my tongue. Bitterness is moderate, but there's a huge rush of spicy/herbal hops. Bready finish with a tiny bite from the alcohol.

Good body to this one- actually a little heavy in the body considering there's almost no discernible sweetness. Victory malt? Heavy carbonation keeps it from feeling syrupy.

Alcohol content be damned, I'm going to drink a ton of this in 2010. I hear it's selling fast, so I'll probably buy it by the case. Each beer begs for another to follow.

I think this is going to be huge for Flying Dog. A lot of people are mixed on them, and this is going to do huge things for their reputation.

It'll also be good for the style. It's not a common one among U.S. brewers right now, but I think we'll see a lot more Belgian IPAs come next year.

01-20-2010 07:31:48 | More by TonyReaves
dtreindl

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

I love the hops in this stuff. Very floral and strong citrus flavors with the bitterness of good grapefruit. For 8.3% ABV, this is a very drinkable hi-abv beer. I didn't realize the strength at first.

The belgian characteristics of this IPA make for a nice soft mouthfeel. I know it's labeled "Belgian-style IPA", but I'm calling it an IPA because the hops clearly dominate this brew.

I've had more IPAs than I can count and I consider the IPA my preferred style. So it's saying a lot that I put this in my top-5 IPAs of all time!

01-24-2010 22:22:39 | More by dtreindl
beejayud

Delaware

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

Great name... Great taste... Perfect beer....
Belgium style IPA's are my favorite of all beer types, so I am slightly swayed on my opinion of this beer, but it is outstanding.
It doesn't seem like an almost 9% content beer. Very drinkable and perfect blend of taste. Pours nice, not too much head for this type of beer. Typically you have to be very cautious with the pour, but it was not bad at all. Overall this beer finds it way near the top of my beer list, maybe even into the 10 top all time.

03-13-2010 22:26:32 | More by beejayud
SmasNadroj

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

Every now and then a beer comes along that slaps you in the face and tells you "you know
nothing." Raging bitch is the latest of these beers for me.

Poured from a tap into a standard pint glass, this beer glows a welcoming deep golden-amber
color with a decent amount of dark white head remaining in the glass. The smell is, simply put,
incredible. - a rich, crisp, citrusy bouquet with hints of sweet tropical fruits (mango, maybe?)

Now, the taste... It hits your tongue with a nice, spicy hoppiness up front but then, instead of the
usual lingering bitterness that people find the most off putting aspect of ipas, it turns sweet..
Raging bitch has this pervasive ruby red grapefruit sweetness that most ipas don't have, with hints
of citrusy thyme and sweet apple. I was with friends who generally dislike bitter beers- ipas especially-
but they all enjoyed it.

Its not too light and not too heavy on the tongue, with an almost silky mouthfeel- a perfect beer to pique
someones interests in ipas and bridge the (long) gap between hoppy and sweet. I would normally not
recommend such a seemingly intimidating ipa to just everyone, but I think most people will enjoy it.
What else can I say?
Just go find one and see for yourself.

P.S. Sorry for the weird breaks, I did this on my blackberry and can't seem to fix it...

03-31-2010 12:57:48 | More by SmasNadroj
JamesS

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

Pours a great mid-to-dark copper color with a slight orange tint at the bottom of the glass; it has great initial head, very nice lasting head, and wonderful lacing. Very deep hoppy scent with a nice citrus tone; also has an interesting bubble-gum scent (guessing from the Belgian yeast); very nice deep malt back bone. Great taste, a wonderfully thick IPA; great malt presence with a wonderful pale sweetness; excellent hop attributes, with great citrus and slightly earthy tones; a nice bubble-gum sweetness in the end that merges with a very nice and deep hop aftertaste, that has a slight pine edge to the other aforementioned hop tastes. Goes down thick with a bit of hop roughness.

04-18-2010 23:18:35 | More by JamesS
derekmorris7

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

This beer was fantastic. I would have to say this is a top3 beer in my book. Glad I made the purchase.

A= wonderful copper light brown look

S= you get notes of all types of fruit essence just a nice smell

T= exceptional taste, hoppy yet not bitter at all

M= very clean feel with a nice tastey yet clean finish

D= way too drinkable..8.3% ABV..

01-31-2011 21:20:34 | More by derekmorris7
doopiedoopiedoo

Netherlands

4.85/5  rDev +24.4%

Had a big bottle but that didn't taste right. Jeffo insisted I try it fresh so I did.

Had these bottles taken straight from the case it came in at Bert's bierhuis.

Came out a little red, copper if you will but very clear. Almost no head.

Nice aroma. Citrus and Hop. Very West Coast.

BOOM it's in my mouth. I already know I love this beer from the very first taste. Bittersweet malts, a little citrus and lots of bitterness.

Very crisp with just the right amount of carbonation. 8.3% abv but I could drink this all night long.

Having grown up on Belgian Pale Ale's I don't quite see where this would fit in that style. A US West Coast IPA this is imho and a very good one. The best is that I can get this fresh and for a reasonable price on my end of the pond. Will make get on my bike to buy a few fresh one's whenever I can.

02-03-2011 18:31:05 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
Crossmd

4.85/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured into a tulip glass, only printings on the bottle say 109B11..whatever that means.

Appearance is gorgeous, a hazy golden copper with a 3 finger head after a semi-aggressive pour.

Smell is very interesting, giving up candy, little bit of hops, and citrus fruit.

In tasting, I don't get a lot of the Belgian styling that is advertised. I can certainly see the yeast, and taste it, but this is not a Belgian beer. It stands alone very completely as having nothing like it, to my knowledge. Citrus abounds here. It's the most interesting blend of subtle bitter hops, that turn into a sugary citrus, grapefruit and lemongrass. Two sips in rapid succession yield the slightest amount of bite, but nothing that would suggest 8.5%. IMO, it is nothing short of electrifying to the tastebuds. I think this might be an American masterpiece of a beer.

Mouthfeel has an oily taste that turns effervescent on the drydown. Perfect amount of carbonation. Sort of coats the inside of the mouth though. I enjoy this, as it allows for a lingering flavor, but I could see how YMMV.

Drinkability is dangerously phenomenal at 8.5%ABV. I could kill three of these without a problem back to back to back.

This may be my favorite beer yet, and one that I absolutely am going to have to have a constant supply of. It eludes categorization. Thus, it's not a one trick pony, and may very easily appeal even to those who don't exactly love IPAs. I wouldn't even hesitate to recommend to honestly anyone with any sort of palate for beer.

02-17-2011 21:06:14 | More by Crossmd
at1234

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

What's not to like about this beer? An IPA brewed with the glorious simcoe hop, finished with Belgian yeast. The beer will pour a golden orange hue that is topped with a sumptuous white head. The aroma of the simcoe hop and mild clove and coriander create a beautiful bouquet. As for the taste, this is easily one of the more satisfyingly flavorful yet refreshing IPA I have had for a long time. The Belgian IPA is a great trend for other breweries to catch on to, I look forward to see what other places have up their sleeve.

12-27-2009 13:50:29 | More by at1234
tapman

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

light amber/dark orange body (standard I/APA color, adequate carbonation trails, light tan head. The head is less aggressive than I would expect from 90% of anything with the name 'Belgian' in it. Head is sturdy, mostly small bubbles leaving a sticky cobweb lacing.

(Warning: Am a little stuffed up. I apologize.) Belgian yeast that isn't too yeasty smelling with very mellow aroma hop character. Smells like an exotic gelato. Hint of vanilla (Tahitian).

Deliciousness! Subdued, but clean hop bitterness followed by flavorful, grassy, piney hops (some dry hopping?) balanced with a candy malt sweetness that I would guess comes from unfermented non-maltose sugars (cane? honey? what's belgian candi sugar again?) and a healthy dose of a moderate, malty crystal (60L?). Bitterness extremely clean as it hits moderately hard, mellows, and then softens until gone; elapsed time, 1 min. 30 sec. As it warms the malt and yeast mellow to a banana cream pie filling with a mild vanilla cushion. Also, for the ABV this one goes down nice and smooth with nary a taste of alcohol, even at 65F.

At 8.3% I'm sipping this one so a lot of carbonation really doesn't hurt. Each sip is full bodied, yet not sticky. Is this the work of some sucrose additions as a body lightener? Whatever it is, it works. Sweet, not very dry.

I love it. Great malt backbone, alcohol balanced nicely, masterful additions of hops. I especially appreciate the strong, yet not face-melting degree of clean bitterness. Excellent aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. I could session the crap out of this beer which would probably kill me with the alcohol lever, but that's how good it is.

Edit* Some bubblegum in the nose. I was wondering what it was when I came upon TonyReaves' review. You hit the nail on the head, man.

01-21-2010 03:19:23 | More by tapman
greengorilla

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle into an oversized snifter. It is caramel brown color with a nice white head that dissipated quickly.

The smell is awesome the hops are mouthwatering.

The taste is even better. The hops are ever-present, but not dominating. The Belgian yeast taste comes through. It is quite a complex taste.

The mouthfeel is good, but not quite on par with most Belgians from Belgium that I have had.

It is very drinkable, and overall it is a great beer and a great value. It was only 9 bucks for a six pack. I will drink this regularly.

10-09-2010 16:00:57 | More by greengorilla
PubliusII

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance- HOLY HEAD BATMAN!! This beer starts off with a frothy three finger head with a retention of two fingers. Beautiful, clear amber pour. Great columns of visible carbonation. It has a decent, bubbly lace that clings to the top of the glass as you drink.
Smell- Scents of hops and a sweet, fruity smell tickle the nose as they erupt from this head.
Taste- The sweet, fruity taste that I cannot pinpoint compliments the bitterness of the hops nicely to create a balanced taste with quite a bite.
Mouthfeel- The light body pleasantly glides over the tongue with decent carbonation.
Drinkability- This beer is a fantastic drink. Its sweet, smooth flavor is complimented by the great feel of this beer to create a taste that I would love to purchase again.

10-25-2010 23:55:41 | More by PubliusII
arboristfish

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

I wish Belgian IPA was an official style! This beer is amazingly drinkable. Even though it is high in alcohol it doesnt have that alcohol burn to it. Its amazing how simple the malt bill is on this beer and yet how complex the flavor is thanks to the 'El Diablo' yeast. I think the hops that the brewer used in this beer pair very well with each other, has a nice American IPA citrus flavor and aroma to it. Awesome beer Flying Dog!

10-30-2010 22:39:53 | More by arboristfish