Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,109 | Hads: 3,697
4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

I'll never see the supposed genius of Steadman, and he's outdone himself here, with the bitch on the label and all her flagrantly bared anatomy. Though it coheres with the name in the feathers that they are certain to ruffle -and I understand it to an extent- it just seems cheap and desperate, as gimmickry is not needed here.

Clear brassy gold with a whipped pale, sandy cream. The lacing is excellent and the retention isn't half bad.
A phenolic bomb on the nose. Bubblegum, allspice, cinnamon, clove. Laid on top of round, sweet, bready maltiness...an analog of warm, sugar glazed donuts. Hopping adds electric notions of wintergreen, pineapple, wildflowers, and grapefruit, but is the third most prominent trait, aroma-wise.
It carries into the mouth that donut-esque, sweetly, chewy, sugary, bready maltiness from the nose. Phenols are a bit calmer, but clove and allspice and pepper still shine through. Hopping ups the ante with full bitter grapefruit pith, resins from pine and prairie grass, a whole bouquet of florality, and a lilting, fuzzy, sweet/sour peach ride-out. Alcohol is an absolute non-factor.
Pushing towards full bodied, but stunted a bit with its plush, moderate, lasting carbonation. There is a muscularity here, yet it flows down the throat like so much fluffed silk.
This is cripplingly drinkable. Flying Dog's finest moment by far, and one of the best bargains in beerdom...while it lasts.

4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Golden-amber color with a large, bubbly off-white head that dissipates slowly and leaves behind thick, spotty lace.

Smell: Toasty aromas, and mostly hops- earthy and nutty aromas are prevalent with slight woodiness.

Taste: Buttery sweetness backed up by an earthy flavor, finishing bitter with more earthiness and woodiness in the background. Leaves lots of bitterness in the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with balanced carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: It's been a while since I have had a Belgian-style IPA, and I haven't had many, but this is what I think an IPA really should be- this has mostly very unique hoppy flavors, though they arent extremely overwhelming or bitter. Not necessarily balanced, but this is very hoppy while not overwhelming- highly recommended. VERY drinkable for its ABV, though the hop profile makes it more of a savory beer.

4.64/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

A - light copper color mostly clear with a little cloudiness to it.

S - my worst sense. I did not pick up any of the hops that followed, but it did not smell like a beer, not a BMC at least, very pleasant.

T - Wow. Talk about an explosion, I have never had a beer with as much taste as this one. It was almost overwhelming with the first sip but not too overdone. The alchohol was very present and the hop finish was quite a kick. I loved, put in my personal hall of fame. Not for the new beer drinker or anyone who has not turned the hop corner but anyone else should enjoy it.

M - Slick, carbonated, perfect.

D - If it wasn't 8.3% I would give it a 5 but I am afraid this would sneak up on you.

Flying Dog is fast becoming one of my favorite breweries. I don't care for their marketing but I love every beer I have had.

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured this beer from a 12oz. bottle into a Weissbier Vase.

Beer has a copper hue; has a vegetal aroma. The beer has a bitter flavor from the first time it touches your lips which lingers though the whole sip. The beer has nice white head with lacing as it's consumed. The belgian yeast is evident from the first sip and followed by a distinct american IPA flavor. It's a very interesting combination which would be a perfect gateway belgian for someone wishing to explore belgians.

I definitely enjoyed this beer and I will stock it in my cellar for a future sampling.

4.62/5  rDev +17%

Purchased from a locally-owned beer/spirits shop in town as part of a 'Build Your Own 6 Pack'.

A: 3/4 finger of bone-white head quickly dissipated. Strong lacing on the glass with excellent retention. The beer itself is a semi-opaque medium amber color.

S: Orange, apricot, peach and cantaloupe tones come through immediately, with a wheat-y finish (likely where the "Belgian style" comes in)! It's a fresh, uplifting hop scent. Very nice!

T: First, the resinous, piney hops strike your taste buds up front with notes of raisin and cantaloupe...then they step out of the way and you get a lovely, classic wheat-beer finish. I don't know if it's the best tasting beer I've ever had, but definitely one of the most INTERESTING!

M: A wet, slightly oily mouthfeel with medium carbonation. While I'm more a fan of a traditionally dry, crisp IPA feel, I definitely understand where they're coming from with this beer and why it feels the way it does on the tongue. Not bad at all!

O: IPAs (and DIPAs/IIPAs) are my favorite brews in the world. I can't say the same for wheat beers, whether they be Belgian style, or Weizens, or whatnot. However, Flying Dog's Ragin Bitch 'hybrid', is absolutely phenomenal. It kicks your ass and leaves you refreshed all at once. This would be the IDEAL beer to cool down with on a hot summer day! Magnifique.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at KnB wine cellar in SD, CA. Got the last few ounces of the keg. Pours a clear golden into the glass, thick foamy head atop. Great lacing.

Smells green and citrusy. With a lot of Belgian yeast eathiness. A bit different than the bottle I had a few days ago. Tase is a great blend of american hops (citrusy, juicy) and the belgian yeast flavor. Really nice beer, one of the top Belgian IPAs. Better than anything from Belgium I've had in that regard.

pours golden orange with a 1+ finger head that left spotted lacing

smells of belgian yeast and fruity esters backed up by strong american hops some tropical some a bit grapefruit

taste - most of the begian ipas i have had just didnt have the punch of american hops needed to make them exceptional - but this one does

mouthfeel is a medium body beer with plenty of carbonation it give it some life and be very smooth

drinkability - this beer is 8%+ abv so you may want to pace yourself - i drank this bottle a little fast it was so tasty

C. Perfectly clear
H. Amber, sort of burnt orange
N. Whoaaaa hops!

Wow, this beer is properly named...she really is a bitch. Great banana notes from the yeast, strong hops and a little kick of sweetness not sure if its from the yeast or malt. This is a fun beer, but be careful and watch your tone, cause you just might get slapped in the mouth from this Raging Bitch.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Belgian IPA huh? Havent had too many of these before. This one is a clear golden colored brew, big cream-colored head, fluffy. Really bitter hop scent, oily. Raging Bitch is an apt moniker for this one. Very bitter taste, seems like the hops are some that you might find in an American IPA, but the yeast is all Belgian. Gets a bit spicy from the alcohol as it warms up. Other spices as well, pepper for sure. Pretty active mouth. Cool beer, well done

4.62/5  rDev +17%

Couldn't pass it up, not with a name like that. Already gave me a little sour taste in the mouth reminding me of all the times I've been in the presence of ultra pissed off people!

Poured from a bottle into an arrogant bastard pint glass. Creamy white head gets to the perfect height and slowly dissipates leaving a thin foamy layer at the top. It has a golden color, very opaque orange that you can see through quite easily.

The smell has me intrigued, seriously there is something strong I get in there that I can't place and it's bugging me. Initially I gave it a 4 but I bumped it up .5 because seriously...the name, it just goes with the smell.

Great flavoring, seems like a subtle spiciness, like that of a good amber but not as overt. I swear it has a sour taste to it and it's not a bad thing, definitely a one of a kind beer in my book so far. Not super hoppy, the malt definitely takes precedence in this style brew I think. But overall pretty intense flavors without a hop-slap in the face like the big west coast ipa's which I think takes some talent to be able to get without over-hopping (well actually I don't think over hopping is possible but theoretically speaking...). Fruity as well, not too sweet but I get more and more of it as I go on, reminds me of apricot.

The mouthfeel is one of my favorites in this beer, it feels solid, it's creamy and spicy at the same time with minimal carbonation. Leaves a great tingle after the swallow which I've only experienced a few times. Was definitely suprised by the amount of creaminess the malt gives it with having such an opaque coloring I didn't expect it to feel as full-bodied as it does.

Super super drinkable in my book, it's intriguing like I said before, and that seriously just makes me want more and more to discover all the layers in this bitch...literally, Ha! I like it, if you see it I recommend it for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +17%

A- Right off the bat this sucker has a right thick head and the looks of stinging carbonation. Has a light yellow color to it when poured like a golden ale should... but this is no golden ale. Looking into it top-down it looks crimson... weird.

S- The hoppy awesomeness screams, "I am an IPA drink me," so yeah there's a lot of hoppiness going on here with a spicy sweetness that kind of sticks to the inside of your nose, citrusy kind of like lemon or lime, not entirely sure.

T- Bitter, yes, like most IPAs but this one is more like a hoppy golden ale. A hint of spicy hops maybe amarillo hops? A little more citrusy and less earthen than many IPAs and just a tad sweet, not really noticeable until it's been sipped a little. Definitely not a lot of carbonated taste for how much foam there was, perhaps hiding underneath the hops, either way it's hardly noticeable. A nice splash of grapefruit takes the cake.

M- Even though the taste of the carbonation isn't entirely there, one can feel it and its pretty blatant but certainly not overwhelming. The spicyness leaves kind of a stinging sensation on the tongue.

D- A little smooth a not too rough, pretty much a perfect balance. Very drinkable for an IPA lover like myself, maybe not so much for one who doesn't, but either way it goes down right.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice Two Finger creamy white head, Orange (About an 11 on SRM Chart), Awesome lacing

Nose: Massive Tangerine, Earthy (like mary jane to be honest, only not the skunky part. Oddly a really nice thing. No doubt the belgian yeast playing it's role here.), Spice, Honey, Pine, Sage, Light Roast, Yeasty, Woody

Taste: Citrus, Light Roast, Earthy, Creamy, Biscuity, Yeasty, Wood, Honey, Nutmeg, Nice Hop Bite, Full mouth feel, Nice balance

Final Thoughts: Wow. This is an amazing beer. It hits everything just right. I can't really say much more then Flying Dog did an amazing belgian style IPA. It's like a DFH 60 Min IPA meets Belgian Yeast and they did it perfectly. I saw the brothers weren't impressed, and Im suprised but everyone has different tastes/conditions. One of my favorites now.

Food Pairing: Spicy Foods, Pork, Chicken, Beef, Fish, Green Vegetables, Medium Cheeses (goat cheese, aged chedder), Tofu, Soy Products, Potatoes, Pasta.

4.61/5  rDev +16.7%

A: pours a clear amber color into a six sided pint glass with a thin skim of slightly off white head.

S: citrus, sweet citrus, and sweet tart fruits. Oh yeah and soft malts. Some caramel and tart apples.

T: some of the softer citrus fruits are up front, oranges and lemons. Light sweet malts mingle well, caramel and apples both sweet and tart baking apples. Some of the more intense citrus and tart fruits are in next, grapefruits, blood oranges and tart grapes. There is a pine like undertone to the beer and a pine flavor defiantly hanging on the tongue.

MF: its on the heavy side with a great effervescence.

O: an amazing BIPA and a great beer! I have no qualms with this whatsoever except maybe the head and head retention.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Chimay glass at around 55 degrees.

A: Golden to pale amber with a good two finger creamy white head. Lots of fine lacing.

S: Very champagne like at first, then some grapefruit and piney aromas poke through as the glass warms.

T: Amazing. Lots of citrusy flavors, yeasty, spicy and a nice hoppy finish.

M: Smooth

D: This one is highly drinkable for me. Very smooth. I could easily put back 2-3 of these in a sitting.

I have never really been drawn to Flying Dog before but this one changed that for me. This is an amazing brew that I hope makes it into the seasonal line. I hate to think this is a one time brew.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A Picnic in the Park

We're in the process of selling our house. The closing date was two weeks ago, but the buyers' bank has been delaying and delaying. The loan is approved. But they just keep delaying. We can't buy our new house until we sell the old one. Our house is vacant. We've been living in a hotel for two weeks. So needless to say, when I saw the name of this beer sitting on the shelf, it seemed like it was just like I needed. And with 8.30% ABV, I'll be feeling better after a couple more bottles.

Precious got me a nice beer drinking glass at Salvation Army. I pour it in, and in pours a beautiful rust color with a slight head. The smell reminds me of a picnic. I can't explain it, but smelling it gives me visions of a sitting in the shade of a tree in the middle of a meadow on a cool spring morning. Or maybe I'm losing my mind. Either way, I'm happy. And it has a wonderful IPA taste but with a little less bitterness than IPAs that I've grown to love. Going down I can taste the high alcohol content almost getting a slight hint of a bourbon flavor, but then again I still could be losing my mind.

Either way, as I sit in the hotel cursing this bank, I find it very appropriate that I'm drinking a beer with a name that matches how I feel.

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

I guess there are really TWO Belgian-IPA styles.
One is the more assertively C-hopped Belgian Golden Ale.
The other is an American IPA recipe fermented with one of thosekinky Belgian yeast strains.

This is the latter.

Appearance: poured comfortably from a chilled bottle into a standard wine glass the ale is mildly amber and tops with a froth head. Nice pacing. Head holds up after settling from pour, remain a constant feature until finish. A picture-perfect beer.

Aroma: crisp Belgian action. I smell it as tart, mild banana notes, Christmas spice, then some lemon and grapefruit. Interest combination. Malt finally protrudes with some sweet and slightly toasted notes. Very inviting, but clearly a lot is going on.

Flavor: Sweet. But that's only a background feature, granted a staple of every sip. Kinky, wild, untamed phenols bite through, forcing you to acknowledge Belgian yeast CAN stand up to American hops. They carry over the tongue and leave a puckering feeling on the side of the mouth.
Juicy citrus hops soon take over and you really wanna pucker. There are more aggressive IPA's, but this one can hang. Prickly battering hops then takeover. As this beer drinks the bitterness becomes more forward and the other features mellow/mute each other.
Minor alcohol warming in the finish.

Man, oh man, she has got a bite! But its a very satisfying beer and definitely interesting.

Mothfeel: nice and lean.... really that's where these two styles meet. I like a big beer, but I can't know I'm drinking a big beer. Alcohol should be muted, malts should be of premium quality and kept in balance, and the beer should finish DRY. RAGING BITCH pulls that off.
It's lean, crisp and balanced. Sure, the hops and phenols are all over the place, and there's Crystal and Toasted malt to be detected, but the body of the beer holds on responsibly.
The way this beer drinks makes it a success, otherwise the hopping and yeast profile would've been in vain.

Conclusion: Got dayum, a prickly beer. This one might be catalogued in the "Love it-or-Hate it" category. Personally I loved it, as did the guys I drank it with, but none felt we could drink more than one except if really in the mood.

It's like HEDONISM resort, a kinky trip to the tropics. Most will say they prefer the other Belgian-IPA format, a Belgian Strong Pale Ales with C-hops: Pyrat and Houston Chouffe come to mind. But I think that's because they're attempting something more subtle and can be all hoity-toity, as opposed to an IN YO' JOKA' FACE brew from yet-another American Micro-brewery.

Give this one a try! While a bit crude, and definitely from deep in left field Flying Dog is onto big things with this one!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite breweries for consistently good suds. 12oz single for $2.25 at The Beer Store in Nashua, NH. Code 151A13 printed on the front label. Served cold in a tulip.

A: A hard pour gives 1/2" of frothy white foam that settles after a minute or so to a stable meniscus and a single clump of large bubbles that clings to the glass. Mostly clear, coppery orange brew.

S: Light crisp candy malty sweetness and a nice mix of soft citrusy and citrus rind hops. Smells just like sour apricots, or the part of a peach right next to the pit. Very nice, salivagenesis ensues.

T: Super pungent bitter hop slams the palate with hardcore bitter apricot stuff, leaving a strong grassy hop aftertaste that lingers for quite a while. Tastebuds are slaughtered with IBUs, I can't believe this is only 60IBU (according to FD's website). The malt body plays a small supporting role, providing just enough body to support the hop, with a little of it lingering in the finish to keep that balanced as well. Also some mango, pineapple, tropical type stuff going on in there, especially when belching. Moderate peppery alcohol heat, but the hop dominates it and keeps it under control, so it's almost a positive.

M: Crisp clean body with just a bit of viscosity. A little EtOH heat present in the finish, but not offensive. Good carbo.

O: Delicious. I REALLY REALLY love the combo of Belgian yeast with citrusy American hops. Phenomenal combo, somewhat similar to what I've done with some of my homebrews (saison yeast, wheat, citrusy US hops).

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

12oz bottle into snifter.
A: Pours a one finger head that reduces into a foamy layer on top. Lace is left and head holds good retention. Lively carbonation is expressed within the body. The head is a cream white in color and the body is a deep, glowing amber. The body looks medium in body and is relatively clear.
S: At first note, there is a strong Belgian-yeast note. This is a sweet and caramel undertone. A nice blend of hops come through and make this aroma truly as complex as the beer is. The aroma is a medium in intensity.
T/M: A thick and creamy mouthfeel is met on the palate at first. The hoppy undertones project a bold herbal presence throughout. The Belgian notes on this make it a nice comparison to the many great Belgian Tripels. A sweet grassy hop profile, mixed with a dry, strong notes of hops on the finish. A mainly malt finish, brings even more Belgian candy to the palate, that has you coming back for more. A truly well done brew.
D: This is a extremely drinkable, brew. Light on the palate and non-filling. I have kicked through most of the bottle just going back to gain a new light on the complexity of flavors.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

This is very good. I really liked the first whiff I got while pouring it. It's very thirst-quenching, and I can drink this gulp after gulp, despite its strength. Very liberal with the hops, but without that bonk you over the head hops taste that a lot of these strong American ales have. They seem to have taken that bonk you over the head taste and tucked it into the drink better, so props for that.

I drank this out of a Chimay goblet.

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

The beer pours a clear dark amber with a pillow topped head. Toasty amber malt aromas sneak through the dank, earthy, hop stink that plumes off of this nuclear IPA. Hop flavor dominates, but is propped up grainy maltiness. A light citrus character and a deep "purple" earthiness that're indicative of Amarillo, fill all corners of the palate and are chased by pleasant alphaic acid bitterness. A crisp light medium body delivers round lingering hop wonderfulness throughout the mouth. For an 8% and change abv beer with 60 IBU's Raging Bitch is dangerously drinkable. This beer epitomizes the class of beers we, in America, call IPAs, Belgian Style IPAs, Double IPAs. Whatever we call these hoppy ales they're awesome and this one is one of the best.

Poured into a pint.
A: Gentle pour yields 1/4 finger of white head with poor retention, leaving just a ring. Clear copper-orange liquid. Good lookin'. I'd like more head, or may be I'll pour harder next time since I see it's filtered now.
S: Slight clove, bubblegum, some volatile booze (negative). Some faint tropical fruit floats on the booze.
T: Jumbled at first with the hops settling out in dominance. Well bittered! Open is swet with a dash of Belgian clove ester and funkiness - very nice! Excellent perhaps even. One of the best BIPAs I've had. Pronounced Belgian character, but generally skews towards AIPA.
M: Terrifically bitter, west coast IPA territory. Slight breathy heat is almost a negative.
O: Great. I'd love another and will buy 6. Glad this one finally made it into MI!

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours lovely hazy orange with a rather large white head that leaves pretty darn nice lacings.

S: Dried hops, just like they do it in Belgium. Yeast and spices. Semi-sour. Citric freshness.

T: Citrus galore, but also an almost hard-candy-like sweetness. Bitter and malty. But in the back the Belgian yeast and spices lingers. Some sourness. Red berries, NICE!

M: Sour and bitter aftertaste, lingers for a longer time than most in this style. Body is smooth and creamy, on the fuller side. Carbonation is surprisingly rich, but still smooth.

O: This one kicks ass. The fellows at Flying Dog sure know what they are doing. I've had so many Belgian IPAs from Belgium - this one is better than most of the ones I've tried.

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, light brown color. Has a large, frothy head that dissipates quickly but leaves some absolutely stunning lacing.

Smell: Smells sweet, malty, and yeasty like most Belgian-style beers. Smells spicy, earthy, and citrusy like most American IPAs. Really a nice combination and a nice aroma.

Taste: Aggressively hoppy up front with piney and earthy notes. Develops a sweetness with a yeasty character towards the back. Hints of spiciness and a little caramel are also present. Highly complex with exquisitely balanced hoppy and sweet flavors.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with an expressive carbonation.

Drinkability: A delightful beer and a true exemplar of an emerging style. To be honest, I didn't have the best opinion of Flying Dog before this beer; I found most of their line-up to be severely disappointing. However, this beer nearly (if not completely) makes up for it. It is a complex and interesting beer from a style that I can't wait to try more of. It is a true marriage of brewing cultures and one that no one should miss...

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%

A- Clear dark orange, very little head, dissipates quickly.

S- Strong hops smell right off the bat, with a little carmel or molassas up front. A nice balance to the nose of floral and citrus hops, nice.

T- The malts are present with the hops in a nice balance right away. Very hoppy, as promised, but more mellow and smooth than expected. A very complex flavor, with nice citrus and light caramel tastes, and just a hint of vanilla. The hops become more noticeable with each sip, with the floral tastes getting stronger. The taste doesn't so much match the nose as triumph over it.

M- Decent body, no major complaints.

D- Amazing for an IPA, I want ten more right now.

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 10oz, Raging Bitch '20th Anniversary' short-stemmed glass...Best By Date: 190B14 - This translates it being bottled on (or about) March 9, 2014.

A- Pours an absolutely beautiful, clear, deep sunset orange with about 1 fingers' worth of white, sea-foam head. Being a Belgian inspired ale, I would have thought it would be a bit lighter in color. (4.75)

S- Being that I've never consumed Raging Bitch this fresh, the aroma is absolutely crazy! Pine, Lemon/Lime, Grapefruit, Passionfruit, Bubblegum and Spice all blend in harmony. The aromatics are aggressive and on the bitter side of the spectrum...very intense. (4.75)

T- Sweet malt at the front of the palate, followed by some tropical fruitiness and then a pretty significant pine/grapefruit rind bitterness to finish things out. The flavors move rather quickly across the palate and the beer finishes quite dry. (4.25)

M- The beer has a medium body and the carbonation is moderate (much less than a traditional Belgian Golden Strong or Belgian Pale Ale). Additionally, the palate is coated with an oily, piney, resinous character making this an aggressive brew. (4.50)

O- Not for the faint of heart, this is a high octane brew with regards to aroma, flavor and alcohol. For its proclaimed status of 'Belgian IPA,' I think Flying Dog has absolutely nailed the style. I am happy that this is a year-round offering and will be back for more. (4.75)

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery