Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros

4.97/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured a cloudy amber color with a large amount of fluffy off-white head, very good retention.

The second I got a whiff of this I knew it was going to be awesome. Citrus was first then floral and piney, some spicey malts.

I was unprepared for how delicious this beer was, I felt my life was made better somehow after the first sip. First it was sweet and lemony, also some grapefruit and a bit piney. Then more floral and earthy. Ultimately finishing with a dry bitterness.

Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, also a bit chewy.

After a few sips I though I couldn't imagine a better beverage. This was packed with flavor, complex and very easy to drink. It was only my first Belgian IPA, I will certainly be on the lookout for more of the same.

4.97/5  rDev +28.4%

An absolutely amazing IPA. Well worth the "20 year wait" for this beverage.

the aroma is heavenly; saturated with glorious hops
Taste is hops, hops, hops
I could drink this every day.

Its winter and I normally don't drink pale ales in the winter, but I had to try it, and I'm VERY glad that I did. I wish this to become a permanent fixture in the flying dog line of fine beverages

4.97/5  rDev +28.4%

A great Belgian-style beer! Just experienced Stone Vertical Epic 10 and to be honest reminds me a lot of it's taste. (Belgian Influence) Smells of grapes, pears, bananas, and apples! Love it, too bad it's just an anniversary ale. Good Job Flying Dog!

4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

From my experience with American-brewed Belgians (ESPECIALLY IPA's), many are hit and miss. THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is a punch square in the face.

A good one.

Yep. Right up there with Stone's Cali-Belgique, Flying Dog has found what I'd even go so far as to call a good candidate for a flagship.

POURS a slightly hazy, light copper with an excellent 2 fingers of super-fine head (especially from the tap, it is important to use a wide-mouth glass, as the foam tends to rise much more in narrower glasses; as the name implies, Belgian style tulips work best). Slow to recede and packs a rich, beautiful NOSE of caramel, resiny pine and a hint of lemon and apricot.

The TASTE is smooth and balanced, sweet malt intermingling with hints of the tell-tale clove/banana character imparted by the Belgian yeast that are actually allowed to shine as pine and orange rind from the hops impart very little bitterness; making an overall sweet Belgian beer while still remaning distinctly IPA.

Dangerously smooth and delicious for a +8%. I'd petition to make Flying Dog keep this year-round!

4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

Slightly hazy amber with a whipped off white head. Lots of pine, grapefruit, and orange initially in the nose. Digging a little deeper you get some banana, spice, and caramel. Resiny pine right off the bat in the taste. Lots of bubblegum leads to banana and clove. Bitter citrus hops on the finish. There's also a vanilla note that pops up here and there. I absolutely love this stuff. I'm a big fan of Belgian influenced brews as well as IPA's so a combo is right up my alley. Just a hint of warming alcohol, but it's felt rather than tasted. Superbly drinkable.

*A couple sixers later and, after going back and forth a few times, I'm bumping this score up a touch. I keep waffling as to give this a five or not. Right now this is the best beer I've drank as far as my buds are concerned. If I have to add, I'd mention that the bubblegum really comes in after a few of these

4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

One of my favorite beers
12 once bottle poured into snifter glass

Appearance: Crystal clear carbonated well lots of tiny bubbles.

Smell: Very Belgium smell easy for a beginner to identify

Taste: Taste bitter and hoppy. 8.3 abv is not evident at all.

Mouthfeel: First few sips are a shock to the taste buds, after a few sips flavor is smoother,

Drinkability: Great