Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,103 | Hads: 3,671
1.74/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This brew was way too sweet for my taste. My favorite brew is a DIPA, so I guess that I am a hop head. I bought a six pack of this beer with the intriguing name and gave away 5 of the bottles. I guess I will never again try a beer that has "Belgian style" on the bottle. (270 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -51.6%

I want so much to like Flying Dog beers. However, every time I buy one with high hopes...raspberries.

This beer had a head that was too big and just didn't look appetizing.

The smell was a mixture of skunky, flowery...I couldn't tell what was Belgian about it.

The taste was heavy on the IPA and zero on the Belgian.

I want to like their stuff, but I just can't. (366 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -48.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a copper color with about a finger worth of head. Slowly disappears and leaves a slight coating of head on top. Decent lace.

S - I get a really strong ginger taste. I hate ginger tasting beer, so we're not off to a good start. Other random spice notes come across, but I can't pick out anything else individually as the ginger over powers everything.

T - Loads of ginger comes across. As it goes down other spice notes and some sweetness emerges, but then gives way to more ginger as the beer goes down my throat. Not really that hoppy. Others have remarked on floral notes ... I get none.

M - Mild carbonation, relatively creamy.

O - A huge disappointment for me. The ginger is a real turn off. If ginger and tons of spice is your thing though, give it a shot. (816 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -47.9%

I want to like Belgian IPAs, I really do. This one makes it tough...

A: Hazy. A little filtering would have been nice. My home brews aren't this cloudy.

S: Citrus, musty/earthy, funky like Belgian brews, floral and hoppy.

T: Not balanced. This beer has issues. There is too much competition between the flavors and the styles. I'm going to struggle to finish the 6-pack.

M: Spot on Belgian and IPA... Carbonated but doesn't sting.

O: Not buying this again. (461 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -46.9%

This beer really didn't do it for me. I've drank plenty of Belgian beers and plenty of IPAs, many high alcohol beers, but this beer was not enjoyable. Not sure where to put my finger on it, and I won't stoop as low as gross, but I'd almost rather have bud light. (262 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -46.6%

3/4/11

On tap at URGE.

A: Transparent golden orange. Creamy cap. Looks inviting.

S: Coriander, clove, and orange, with bready malt. Very spicy. Some light grapefruit. A little alcohol. Perhaps some pepper. Smells like a generic Belgian beer. Average at best.

T: Moderately bitter grapefruit rind up front with prominent spicy phenols, reminiscent of clove and white pepper. There's a lot astringency in there. Far too spicy for my taste, and not enough of the IPA showing through. Alcohol is noticeable in the bitter astringent finish. There's a definite clash of spice and bitterness in the end that reminds me of aspirin. That's terrible.

M: Lower medium body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is creamy and sticky.

Overall: Not recommended at all. Avoid. Looks deceived me. (785 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured from 12once bottle in to pint.

Nice red gold coloring inch of think head that hung around fairly well.

Smelled of hops hops and hops... and pine tree maybe.

At first taste it was bitter with tastes of pine and maybe citrus as the beer went on the tastes became harder to define and left me wondering where this beer was going. At least the taste of the alcohol was subdued.

The mouth-feel was pleasant and carbonated but nothing special.

while this wont be my last Flying Dog brew it will be my last Raging Bitch! (526 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

A: Apearnce was surprising and looked like it had a good carbonation by simple eyesight. Had a deep gold color and good head

S:smell of this bear throws it off had a strong yet palatable aroma a hint of spices to it, at least to me

T: This IPA had one of the worst and most pungent tastes I have had in a beglian style IPA I dont know if its the batch or the recipe it made it the beer hard to drink....the flavor was hoppy and very bitter. the batch number was 027B14

M: was very rough and had a very hard flavor for the palette so the mouthfeel wasn't all bells for me. It did have a deep bodiness to it but that is all I can say for now

overall I did not enjoy this IPA, and Its sad cause I really wanted to like this beer.
Hope this review helps*
*note: I am not a professional beer taster, the opinions in this review are mine and mine alone. (852 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

I did not love this. No subtlety to the flavor and you can really taste the high ABV. I do, however, love Flying Dog's labeling and general attitude towards the world, so I'll continue buying their beer, just not the Raging Bitch. (230 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Have to say I am not a great ipa fan. But wanted to give some of them a try.

I opened the bottle poured it in a Duvel glass. Smell was really nice, first taste not too bad, but i can't stand the bitter aftertaste that keeps sticking for ever.

The more I drink it the worse it gets. Probably not a bad ipa but really not for me (328 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Nice Amber color, and some good head that lingers for a moment. Pretty clear too.

S: Let it breath a minute. At first whiff this really doesn't appeal. However on the second snifferoo the sweet Belgian notes come out along with the hops.

T: Eh, like most Flying Dog brews this is hit or miss. If you are in the mood for a straight up hop beer with little balance (which several are from time to time) give it a whirl. But if you are more like me, and you like a little balance and complexity with your brew, you can pass on this.

M: Medium and "gamy". I hope that word gives the connotation I'm going for.

D: Nope. That is all. (662 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -37.8%

Bros are right here. I had this right after a rochefort and thats an A. This, not so much. It is nice compared to the rest of flying dogs stuff that ive had. ive yet to try to their barleywine which I am somewhat eager to try.
quite hoppy for a belgian style ipa. in fact it doesnt remind me too much of a Belgian ipa. (318 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Just meh. I'm not a huge fan of IPA's to begin with, but even with that considered this is in the lower quartile of IPA's I've tried. Too much spice, the aroma clashes with the flavor instead of works with it, and it feels rough in the mouth.

It's a shame because Ralph Steadman is one of my favorite artists, and this label is one of the neatest I've ever seen. (363 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from bottle to a tulip glass

Color is dark orange to a golden brown with an off white 2" head.

Smell is full of hops and yeast with an almost sour hint to it.

Taste is overwhelmingly complex with a powerful hint of hops followed by sour hint and following up with the after taste of dry bitterness left in your mouth.

The mouth feeling is very poppy not so much the carbonation as it being burst of favors that you get after the first sip.

Overall this beer is a great taste testing beer other then that I couldn't see myself drinking 2 or 3 bottles before my taste buds are shoot from complexity and the bitter after taste (636 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A nice looking golden amber color with a white one-finger head. Nice bubbles and lacing.
It all goes downhill from here.

S- offensively bitter and sour yet sweet and caramel malty. I tried to find the spices and citrus and grass that I read about but failed.

T- I love hops but this beer simply killed my tastebuds until the very last second of each sip, just then did I pick up it's Belgian IPA
dry wheat and grain flavors.

M- it's carbonated and oily, but it sucks the life out of my mouth, the same way a tart lemon does.

O- this beer is too over the top for me. Note to brewer- tone it down so the flavor has a chance. (660 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -34.6%

The body is a burnished amber, clear and bright, filtered to death for a Belgian IPA. Smells like bubblegum, Pepto-Bismol, sweet pale malt, grandma's spice rack and perhaps a touch of fruity hops. The palate has a stronger hop presence, juicy and tropical with grapefruit undertones. Whatever yeast strain they're using for this beer is awful, it's heavy on the bubblegum and medicinal flavors, while finishing with a phenolic kick that almost overwhelms the bittering hops. This isn't outright awful, but it's not great; it's hard for me to get past the cloying yeast profile. (577 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

A - Nice belgian phenolics in aroma, clove & pepper with a sweet pils malt behind it. Very nice perfume quality. Very low stale cardboard

A- Deep gold, pale off white head fades to thin lacing very quickly

F- Extremely harsh, a combination of hot alcohol and moderately high hop bitterness. Makes it hard to pick up what I think are possibly good malt/ yeast flavors in there.

M- Med full, fairly effervescent.

O- This must be a bad batch, code on bottle is 338A13. I can't believe people drink this and give it decent reviews if this is consistently the beer's flavor. (574 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -33.6%

Pours a bright semi-hazy orange/amber with a decent yet active head which slowly recedes.

Smells of lots of clove, bananas, and some oily hops. Can definitely tell that some Belgian yeast is involved with this brew. Hop presence comes forward more on the nose as the brew warms.

Another flying dog brew with incredible lacing after my first sip. You can definitely taste the belgian influence here through a clovey, nutty, banana bread like sweetness but the hops are over the top. There's definitely a nice belgian sweetness up front, but this ipa is taking it to the next level hop wise. Bigger in body than most other ipa's as well as being bigger in hop presence, this is jut a big beer all together. The only problem I have with the beer though is that the belgian presence and the hop presence dont seem to collide correctly.

While the flavors are all there, they act separately on your tastebuds.

Unique brew if nothing else. (936 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -32.6%

I'd always wanted to try this. On tap at Beer Temple in Amsterdam. From notes.

A - Poured bright with mild carbonation. Dark gold colour with a two finger creamy, eggshell head. Great lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

S - Fruity yeast. American style hops. Not exciting or nostril grabbing compared to other examples of the style. Tame aroma.

T - Odd. Not enough yeast character. Seems they just added 'Belgian' to the name fo the beer. Lot's of fruity hops, showing off grapefruit and pineapple. Sweet up front for balance.

M - Mild carbonation seems light. Medium to full body. Seems more like a IIPA.

O/D - Definately not to style and not what I would expect for a style I enjoy. I didn't mind it at all but it wasn't what A Belgian IPA typically represents. (773 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Nirmal over at Bobby's Liquor in Santa Clara, CA for this bonus brew. I poured into a large tulip to review.

About an inch of white, tightly-knit head. Glowing orange in color; similar to that of a good DIPA. Strong lacing and a nice foamy lining of retention.

Aroma is quite spicy with white pepper and clove similar to a tripel. Also quite bready and yeasty. There is an underlying balanced hoppiness, but definitely more on the spicy Belgian side of the style.

Taste is more balanced with the hops coming more into play. Still the beer is dominated by bready spiciness. I'd call it more of a slightly hoppy triple than a Belgian IPA.

Nicely carbonated, but there is something flat about the mouthfeel to me. Light to medium in body.

Oh well, even trying to get away from getting this beer an identity, I don't think I"ll be getting it again. Just a bit too spicy for my taste. (895 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

Orange and cloudy.. A/T floral hops, Yeast, woody earthiness, banana and clove.. Very yeasty and astringent.. Not great the taste seems harsh with netiher style really coming out..maybe I'm just not a fan of this style.. Rather have just a ipa or Belgian ale not mixed together. (278 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -29.3%

Enjoyed in a tulip glass

A: pours a medium golden color which is nicely clear with a slight amber hue and an ample amount of carbonation bubbles working their way up to the head which is two fingers thick and pure white with a slight yellow note and lingers beautifully, the character of the head is very light and fluffy, leaves
S: very nice grassy hop notes, like wet grass after a summer storm, also has a nice bready character from the belgian background which i would compare to a sort of sweet bread or the french baguette from paneras
T: quite nice, dont find much of the belgian characteristics in the taste that i has seen in the nose, im definitely picking up a bit of an artificial sour note like green apples, there is a nice hop character but its not citrusy or even grassy as i had seen in the nose, im not really sure how to describe it other than as a bitter hop note
M: medium carbonation tingle, leaves the mouth feeling noticably dry, stings a bit on the underside of the tongue,
O: i was impressed by everything up until the taste, the sour note i described above just doesnt fit with the style or really help to make it a drinkable beer at all, i know this beer gets much praise in the community but im not seeing it here, i plan on trying it again soon to figure out if i found a bad bottle or if im just not aclimated to the taste notes (1,362 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -29.1%

Aural: opening, carbonation, pour

Aroma:7 out of 10

Intensity: Very strong

Balance: Sharp Flavor

Impression: Immediately put off by the roasted cardamom scent.

Malt Aroma: Like a cross between sourdough and dark pumpernickle
Hops Aroma: sharp hoppy aroma
Other Aroma: almost like a burnt cardamom. very overpowering scent.

Appearance: 3/5

Color: orangey dark copper

Clarity: opaque

Head Retention: poor

Lace: almost none to be seen

Flavor: 5/10

Intensity: very strong

Balance: very bitter

Impression: off (628 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.

A – Clear light amber with some red. Thin head but a very inviting caramel color

S – Strong Fruity, ester smell. Mostly banana, and some citrus with an overall sweetness

T – Tastes very similar to the way it smells. Strong fruit flavors up front accompanied by citrus. A sweet caramel, somewhat biscuit after taste. Strong bitter notes, clean finish. The balance between fruits and citrus is off. Heavy on the fruit.

M – Heavy body with light carbonation. Feels typical for an IPA

O – Overall a very nice Belgian style IPA. A little heavy on the fruit flavors and lacking on hops for my taste. Recommended more for the Belgian Ale drinker than IPA (706 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -27.1%

this is an IMPOSSIBLE beer to rate. it is somehow so weird. and when a beer is just weird a word like "Average" has no place.
this is in no way an AVERAGE BEER. but thank gods i did not buy a six and just this one bottle. FLYING DOG is a quality brew house, so this beer is well made, but there is a medicinal quality that is undesirable. the alcohol is the only thing saving this beer.

THE BROS used a lot of appropriate words in their review:

"Hints of bubble gum, ripe tropical fruit and medicinal herbs from the yeast ... Trace phenols are soon chased away from the fruity warming alcohol. Bitter finish has a faint aspirin flavor."

this is why i like this site! ^ yes, yes it is an aspirin flavor! i never would have made that connection. but it is right and true.

pours a very good light amber with a good foam. the smell hints at thyme and a sort of sickly sweetness. i find the drink a little chalky, soapy even. i do not get any solid malt flavor -- it is dry and the hops provide solid bitterness but it all happens on a bad platform.

i don't know if this beer is a near miss or a belly flop. EITHER WAY, this does not diminish Flying Dog in my eyes -- they made a weird beer. but they made it well;> (1,220 characters)

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery