Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,093 | Hads: 3,635
2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Very nice light yellow amber, clear with good lace and head. Pleasant hoppy scent with flowers in the background. Flavors are a battle between hoppy ale and yeasty floral ale that never reconciles itself with balance. Part of the reason is the differing types of water that go with these two experiences. Overall an o.k. brew. (326 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

I was disappointed in this beer. I have had it in the past, and thought that it was pretty decent, but for some reason, it didn't taste all that great this time around. It seemed pretty fresh, with a 2014 brew date.

The smell is... strange. I read lots of references about "citrus" and "grapefruit." To me, it smelled a bit sour with... I know this sounds crazy... a hint of burning hemp. Kind of like sitting in the nosebleed section of an indoor arena during a Pink Floyd concert, circa 1977.

The taste is also kind of sour rather than hoppy. This one definitely leaves an aftertaste, not unlike the taste some of us sometimes have when we first wake up in the morning.

I am glad that I only purchased a single bottle of this one this time around. I don't know... maybe this bottle was from a bunch that wasn't stored properly for awhile before being refrigerated at the retailer. I am willing to come back to this one again after some time to give it another shot. (970 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

An interesting twist pinning an IPA with Belgian (I assume they mean Abby) style. It seems like they were trying to outdo the Arrogant Bastard Ale in the Hops department, whilst compensating with citrus flavours. This IPA is an overly full bodied experience, encouraging my tasting associates to make comments like; “She is a raging bitch,”
“So hoppy it’s got a bunny in it,” and my personal favourite; “It’s got an orange aftertaste, but it’s still bleeding hops.” Makes for good conversation. (513 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Amber gold with thick lacing. It looks good for a regular beer, but most BIPAs have a two to three finger-sized head. So this brew is just mediocre in appearance. 3.5

Smell: yeast, orange peel, and a light amount of hops. 3.0

Taste: Pepper, orange peel, yeast, citrus hops. This is more of a triple than a Belgian IPA. Hops and orange peel/pepper flavor don't mix well. 3.0

Drinkability: This brew need more hop character and also needs be dry hoped. This beer is more of a mediocre triple than a Belgian IPA. 2.5 (559 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured into Maudite tulip glass from bottle with freshness date 8/24/2010.

A: Orange amber, fairly clear with a tan head. Slight retention and little lacing.

S: Sharp hops and Belgian yeast. The alcohol content is evident in the aroma. Sweet flowers, such as honeysuckle, and leathery scents are also noticeable. Although it has a fairly complex aroma, not all of the smells are good. It possessed a certain burnt smell, almost the smell of burnt rubber. As it warmed, a bubblegum smell increased almost to the point of sickly sweet, particularly when the beer was agitated.

T: The initial taste was a mild Belgian spice with hints of floral and leather flavors. This beer didn't seem to hide its higher ABV very well, though. The aftertaste was uncommonly bitter. Although the label claims 60 IBU, it tasted far more bitter than beers with a significantly higher IBU content (such as Stone Ruination).

D: This beer was far too bitter for me to truly enjoy. The only enjoyable aspect was that it does possess a certain complexity, I just don't think its flavors worked that well together. It didn't seem to strike me as much of an IPA (and I am an IPA lover), other than being bittter.

This is the first beer I've tried from Flying Dog, and I must admit I'm turned off a bit. However, the Ralph Steadman artwork on their bottles is cool enough to make me willing to give some of their other beers a chance. (1,411 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -25.1%

A Tale Of Two Beers (with the same name and style billing)

Last year I was lucky enough to procure way too little of Flying Dog's 20th anniversary beer. I thought it was an amazing example of an American style IPA using a Belgian yeast. It was a well balanced but sharp bottle conditioned brew and, I thought it was the best beer Flying Dog had ever done.

This year I bought a six pack, and I miss the beer I remember. What is this I'm drinking? Is it even bottle conditioned? Given that there's no sediment, it's obvious they gave up on that aspect of this beer. Where is the unfiltered quality of last year's batch? This is totally different beer from last year. I assume the same yeast was used, but there is only a hint of it. What you get is nothing more than a run of the mill IPA, and not even a very good one. I've been looking forward to this beer ever since I had it last year, and I have never been more disappointed.

Do yourself a favor and try Rock Art's Belgo-American IPA, it's a revelation. (1,009 characters)

For the right person this is definitely an extremely great beer, unfortunately my palette wasn't able to enjoy the intense hoppy taste the beer has. It is enjoyable, but it's not something I would consistently pick up. The name is great though. (244 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a stange glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a clear orange/amber color with a bubbly ¼" off white head that leaves some light lacing. The head recedes fairly soon and for most of the beer there is no lacing at all when sipping.

Smell: The aroma leaves no doubt that a Belgian style yeast has been at work here, creating a nice fruity, herbal aroma that includes some citrus, floral and earthy character from the hops.

Taste: The flavors include sweet, bready malt laced with some citrus and pine. The medium length finish is signaled by a sudden switch from a nice malt and hop balance to a not very pleasant earthy or medicinal bitterness that persists far to long

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and smooth with some reasonable carbonation.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: While I was interested to try this I didn't think it was all that drinkable. I found myself not looking forward to sipping and probably won't have this beer again. My overall impression is of a beer that was targeted to be a Belgian IPA where the grains worked reasonably well but the hops were way wide of their mark. (1,191 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

Nothing much to say about this one other than, it's your typical beer that soooorta satisfies my hoppy thirst. Clearly, ratebeer's rating of a 98/100 shows me ratebeer is really loose with giving high grades for mediocre beers.

Aroma, you get a little citrus and a little malt. The end.

Taste, some sweetness, some grapefruit, and some malt. It wasn't a bad beer, but the fact that this is supposedly their best beer, I had high expectations and this fell short of those expectations. It really was just your ordinary beer you would get off tap at any local bar. I will have forgotten the taste of this beer by tomorrow. In this day and age where breweries are REALLY stepping up their games, this one would fall in the bottom 40% of beers that are not worth your money. Paid $13 for a 6-pack, really should not have exceeded $10. (833 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -23.8%

Purchased this after a recommendation from the "beer guy" at the store. It was on-sale and he recommended it as a great "hoppy" beer. I wasn't impressed.

A: Very nice amber with a foamy head that sticks around for a while.

S: Bitter smell, some lemon scent

T: Intense bitter initial taste. Very hoppy. Strange bitter/metallic aftertaste. I really didn't care for the aftertaste.

M: Nice carbonation, crisp feel

D: The aftertaste really affects drinkability

Although I really didn't care for this beer initially, the 2nd bottle wasn't as bad. The aftertase is a real negative. Very hoppy though. I wouldn't purchase this one again. (636 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Pours a clear golden color with a one finger off right head that has good retention. There is little to no lacing but there is a great amount of carbonation going to the top.

S - Not too great of a nose here, even right after being poured. Very slight hop and wheat smells.

T - Taste kind of goes along with smell. Nothing too spectacular here. All the flavors kind of blend together into a mash of flavors that is hard to decipher. There is a mix of wheat, somewhat pinny hops and maybe a wee bit of vanilla. It's not good, but it's not bad. there is a very clean finish however.

M - A lack of carbonation for sure. I think this contributes for the lack of boldness with the flavors. Very smooth though.

D - Considering the ABV, and the lack of prominent hoppy flavors it helps, but I wouldn't call it good.

Considering my bellow average review, I'm thinking I maybe got a bad batch. (894 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Slightly clouded amber color. 1-finger off white head with moderate retention. Carbonation looks light. Good lacing.

S - Belgian yeast are up front, citrus and grassy hops underneath. Some bready malts as well.

T - Hmm, not sure how a feel about this one. The flavors of Belgian yeast come through, along with the sweetness of a belgian style beer. The IPA notes are also very much present, but are overpowered to me by the belgian style sweetness. Finishes with a nice malt backbone like a good IPA. Very conflicting on the tongue.

M - Okay, a little bit of slick oiliness.

O - Really not sure what to think. I'm not a fan of the sweet tripel style beers, and I am a fan of IPAs, and this reminds me of a cross between those two. I'm not sure that it works for my taste. The tripel style is just a little too overpowering, almost like I poured a tripel into a glass after drinking a pale ale and didn't clean the glass out or get a new one. Interesting concept, and really not a bad beer. I could see this working for some, but it's not for me. (1,055 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -23.1%

Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA was a crystal clear amber with a one-inch beige head that faded to a collar.

The aroma was so pine hoppy that it strongly reminded me of turpentine.

Thankfully, the taste did not follow suit with the aroma. Definitely hoppy, but a more normal citrus flavor.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with sufficient carbonation.

Drinkability was only average; the aroma was a big turn off for me.

I am not looking forward to the remaining 5 bottles of the sixer I bought. (523 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

I had high hopes for this one but came away fairly disappointed. It looks nice - amber-orange transparent liquid with a mess of fine white bubble on top. The aroma is pretty good - orangey/floral/cat piss hops, clean wood, honeyed malt and light Belgian earth. It's actually a tad boring for the style, to be honest. The taste is just disappointing. There's a lot of bland bitterness from both hops and wood. I've never much cared for Amarillo hops, so that could be to blame, but this beer just doesn't have much going on. The more delicate hop notes have faded, the wood doesn't provide much interest and the yeast is understated. For the style, it's harsh on the palate and drinkability is poor. (698 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%

20th anniversary beer from Flying Dog. Poured into a Poursmouth Brewery tulip.

This beer is a crystal clear, rustic amber color. A foamy white head rested on top which reduced to froth and some nice lacing.

Awesome grapefruit and floral notes hit the nose. This definitely smells like an IPA. The hop aroma has a beautiful marriage with the belgian yeast/malt scent. It's bright, fruity and spicy. Hints of lemon, coriander and cinnamon.

The taste is a little too sweet. There's a strong grapefruit taste combined with this musty hop taste. Alcohol is very well hidden. I would think this is no where near 8.5%. I'm not sure the hops combine with the belgian characteristics as well as in the aroma. It's just a little too sweet and fruity and then this musty flavor comes off in the finish.

Carbonation is a little high. I find it good for the style. Mouthfeel is decent, slightly syrupy.

I was excited to try this and I'm still glad I got to. But I'm also glad I only bought a single. I don't think the aggressive hopping of this beer combines well with the belgian style aspect. Its just too many things going on at once. I can definitely see what they were trying to do though. (1,187 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This should be the mold of what Belgian Style IPAs are made from. There's no denying this is a strong pale ale. You can taste everything, the hops, malt, wheat, etc. Flying Dog usually makes things strong, this one is no different. It was almost too much IPA though, but I did have two of them at the bar. (305 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -21.8%

12oz pour.

A: the range of colors - from gold to red to brown - is attractive, but the relative lightness of color makes me think this will be lighter-bodied than I'd expect. Yields a thin, off-white head that disappears quickly; I'd expect more from any Belgian-styled beer.

S: Lot of banana, some clove; not picking up much that suggests the hops here. It smells good, but again this keeps running up against expectations without piquing curiousity.

T: A nice mix of sweetness and spices arrives up front, but a potent but nondescript hop bitterness cancels that out fast. I can't get around the thought that I'm drinking perfume. Each sip repeats the same pro-con arc.

M: This keeps with the prevailing theme for this beer - the carbonation is a little too mild, the body is a little too thin. Hops do have some sticking power, though.

O: Flying Dog makes some good stuff, but this is underwhelming. It's far from undrinkable, but there's no single redeeming positive, either. I'd like this to either assert it's hop/booze-bomb traits, or aim for a more complex blend of Belgian and American flavors. This is caught unfavorably in-between. (1,147 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

Bought a six pack at the local bottle shop after hearing all the hullaballoo. Ultimately a tad disappointed.

Pours a clear copper with minimal bubbling. One finger off white head with minimal retention. Thin lacing.

Belgian yeast aromas with ample citrus and grass. Alcohol/ketones are prevalent.

Taste is overly bitter. Ultimately this beer comes across not as Belgian but as an extremely aggressive IPA with what tastes like a rye backbone. The ABV is readily apparent, and, when combined with the bitter citrus/aspirin finish this beer packs, is just too much. Belgian complexities are lost in hoppy astringency.

MF is thin and overcarbonated. Alcohol sensation burns the palate like cheap wine. No resins.

Overall, this beer strikes me as an underwhelming attempt at a style becoming increasingly popular. Flying Dog's focus seemed to be not on the beer as a cohesive whole, but rather on making a voluminously hopped IPA with some fancy yeast in it. (960 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

Light, clear amber topped by foamy white head that leaves thin lacing along the sides of the glass. Sweet aroma of caramelized sugar, apples soaked in liquor, slight raisin bread, prunes. The taste isn't as exciting as the aroma: faint apple fruitiness, booze, burnt bread towards the finish and rides out grassy with patches of mud and some candle-wax. Light-medium in body. The raging bitch must have hit menopause. There's no mojo here, no great flavor, no lasting impression. Flying Dog never ceases to fall short of expectation. (533 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

Subtle yeast character with apricot playing a nice role. Good hop aroma with notes of overripe and tropical fruit.

Good clarity. Gold colour with a moderate, foamy off-white head.

There is a lot going on in the flavour but it doesn't all work for me. I get overripe fruits, sweat, a hefty dose of harsh bitterness, a touch of onion and a tiny bit of malt. On the whole, the Belgian IPA thing isn't pulled off well.

Medium-low body with moderately-high carbonation. Suitable.

A disappointing beer. The yeast and hops are not integrated well and the bitterness is just a bit too high. (586 characters)

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #45 (Oct 2010):

Curtain of lace dresses the glass; very clear amber color. Hints of bubble gum, ripe tropical fruit and medicinal herbs from the yeast with clementines coming from the hops. Smooth and creamy with a hefty medium body. Lots of bready malt, a bit toasted. Hops grab a hold of the palate and slap it around some, almost to the point it missed the Belgian aspects that the yeast had tried to lay out. Trace phenols are soon chased away from the fruity warming alcohol. Bitter finish has a faint aspirin flavor. Belgian style? Perhaps just inspired 'cause of the popular- ity of the style? Good but too clean and overly bitter. The raw marketing does not match what is inside. (729 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a wine glass.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a half finger head and light lacing.

S: Fruity and floral hops along with a slight funk.

T: Malty, but with a hop presence. Somewhat sour and funky.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: I thought this beer had promise, but I just can't get over the funk... (343 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%

Love many of the Flying Dog beers, and love most Belgian IPAs if done right, but if they're not done right they can be pretty bad. Hopefully this is a good combination of good brewery and good style.

A: Creamy 1 finger head covering a very clear golden orange pink hue color.

N: Nose has a very fresh spicy wet hop bite! I mean like it was freshly hopped yesterday with tons of fresh musty wet hop aromas. Some light Belgian malt aromas. Some pine and citrus as well. I think this might be too hopped for a Belgian IPA.

T: Much better, a strong Belgian malt and some Belgian sugar sweetness hits first this time. Then more bitter hops hit with more fresh musty wet hop flavors as well. It starts to build with more bitter hop flavors and pine and citrus lightly. Some spicy flavors as well. Hints of malty boozy taste, but lightly. The spicy and heavy hops just way overpower any of the actual Belgian aspects after the first .5 seconds of the first sip and no more Belgian.

M: Semi thick with quite a bit of carbonation.

F: Very bitter again, too bitter for a Belgian IPA. Dries off quite a bit as it bitters, way over the top bitter. Spicy flavors and some lingering malt flavors.

This beer would be a great AMERICAN IPA, but not Belgian. For a Belgian IPA it needs to be a lot more subtle on the hop bitterness and much less aggressive. I'm not sure why they even call this a Belgian IPA. This shows how Americans can take styles too far. Flying Dog I love most of your beers, but this is just too far! (1,512 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%

A- Bottle to a pt. It pours a caramel amber color. Not a huge head.

S- Citrusy and yeasty, not much in the way of hops.

T- Either complex hops or just a fruity/spicey yeasts. Biscuity malt on the back.

M- Med bodied and good carbonation

D- Med. When looking for IPA this isn't it. But it's interesting and has great flavor inspired by a belgian style. (355 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I have been giving Raging Bitch many second chances for about ten years now. I just can't do it. Every time I see the cool label and the 8.2 percent and get exited, buy it and take it home..., well it gets popped, i sip and am utterly disappointed. It's a true struggle to finish a six pack of this stuff and I'm a 12 year craft brew (wtf does that even mean these days) veteran.

You want a belga/IPA yada yada? Go with the Ruination. Heaven... (446 characters)

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery