Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,111 | Hads: 3,720
3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

On-tap 1/27/2010 at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a dark amber color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of floral hops, some Belgian yeast and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts with a harshly strong bite of hops bitterness. Then a caramel and citrus sweetness comes in along with an odd-tasting Belgian yeast breadiness. The malt character is hearty. The hops presence eventually pulls everything together somewhat, but there doesn't seem to be much balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, not the best representation of style, there are definitely better beers in the style that I would pick before this one.

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

I had high expectations for this beer going into it. It just tasted too creamy for my taste. I got a lot of caramel and not much else. It was nice and smooth, with very little hops; but it just did not wow me like other Flying Dog beers. I think it has potential, might just need to open up a little bit.

3.19/5  rDev -19.2%

Thanks to larryi86 for this 12oz bottle. Best before date of 213A11 or good till the 213th day of 2011. Poured into a tulip.

A- Clear amber with lots of carbonation bubbles. Moderate pour produced a finger and half off white head. Stays throughout drinking. Lacing all over the glass.

S- Medicinal hops that are not bitter at all. Yeasty. Belgian malt profile. Not a strong smell profile.

T- Pretty pale without much hops. Has a slight bitterness at the start but not much after the initial taste. Slightly sugary citrus taste at the end.

M- Medium creamy body. Right amount of carbonation for the style. Little lingering on the palate.

D- I want to try it on-tap, but I doubt I would have another one after that. The style has so many great representatives that I would have a hard time reaching for one that didn't blow me away.

3.19/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a clear amber orange color with a large white head that fell slowly leaving some good rings of lacing and had a lasting cap. Aroma is peppery, piny, and full of Belgian yeast. Alcohol is noticeable in the aroma as well as a touch of anise, presumably from the yeast. Taste follows the nose pretty evenly. First thing that hits are the spicy, peppery hops that give off just just a hint of pine and herbaceous qualities, followed by a good dose of caramel malts which are bready, and overall pretty balanced. I gotta say I'm not a fan of the spicy hops nor am I huge fan of Belgian yeast being used in IPAs. Maybe this just isn't my style, but it's hard for me to really get into this beer. It has some nice qualities, but could use a little more citrus/tropical hop flavors to balance the spiciness. Body is well rounded and nearly full for the style. Alcohol isn't as present in the taste as it is in the nose. Not a bad beer, but not my favorite either. Still searching for the Belgian IPA that blows me away!

3.2/5  rDev -19%

A- Pretty light copper with small sticking head.

S- Lots going on, belgiany yeast character of peach and pear with notes of citrus from the hops.

T- Upfront: Piney and citrusy hops, followed by a moderate bitterness which finishes with a fruity belgian character. Definitely lots of oranginess to this one from the combination of hops and yeast. Nothing amazing but nice hints all around, wish the harshness of the hops was less overpowering.

M- Nicely thin and moderately carbonated, nothing amazing but seems appropriate.

D- Pretty easy to drink given the strong hoppiness and bitterness, but the complexity of the nose doesn't quite carry through to the flavor to bring me back for many more.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased from Beers of Europe in Kingslynn, England. Poured into my new Nogne beer goblet, also from B of E.
A-Poured very nice amber, burnt orange, with nice white, one finger head. Light carbonation with minimal lacing.
S-Big Belgian aromas, light citrus, but short on hops.
T-Again, big Belgian flavor but very little hops, light citrus and a little bitterness on the backside.
M-A little oily, thin, carbonation is decent.
O-A bit disappointing! Less of an IPA and more like a Belgian Ale IMO, and not a very good one.
*I have to add, I wonder afterwards if this beer is bad? I just opened a Smuttynose IPA, which I've had before, purchased at the same time/place-today, and it is obviously bad, not the great IPA I remember, at all!

3.2/5  rDev -19%

A- Sunset orange with a decent head that dissipates into a thick ring of lace. Small amounts of lacing are left on the sides of the glass.

S- Caramel malts, pine needles, and fruity esters combine to produce an odd aroma that, to me, smells kind of like rubber, like a new tire. That being said, it's still pretty good, just a little odd.

T- A touch of sweet malt segues into a piney, earthy bitterness. Notes of banana and bubblegum come through a little, but it's mostly sweet, bready malt and pine needle bitterness. Finishes slightly sweet with a good dose of bitterness.

M- Decent, medium body. Carbonation is surprisingly low, but still ok.

D- It's a bit high in alcohol and the flavors kind of wore on me after a while. Don't think I'd have another.

This is just an ok Belgian IPA for me. It was decent enough, but nothing really stood out. The flavors didn't pop, and the Belgian yeast didn't add enough character to make it interesting. Perhaps it was past its prime; had I been able to decipher the date code on the bottle (or what I believe to be the code) I may have known that. Not bad, but I probably won't be revisiting it.

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

A-Pours a nice golden amber color with a solid finger width head.

S-Very mild hop aroma. Very mild citrus, almost soapy smell. Not much else.

T-The taste is very subdued. Extremely mild hop character, mild citrus taste (lemon and grapefruit come to mind).

M-Creamy and smooth. Extremely drinkable. Can't tell it is 8%+ ABV.

O-Overall this beer is just OK. Wasn't too blown away by it. The drinkability saves this one for me.

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

Moderate head that is slow to die; leaves a cratered surface as it recedes. Good lace. Clear, golden-amber color

Earthy, moldy, and very bitter are the first words that come to mind when I smell this beer. It's not particularly attractive and it's hard to describe. On the surface, it smells like a particularly strong yeast with a hot spiced hop. It's like nothing I've brought to my nose before.

Very harsh taste that cannot be complete attributed to the ample hop. It's almost as if there were some sort of hot sauce (tabasco-like) added to the beer, even though there is no "heat" per se on the tongue. Very astringent. Short aftertaste. I cannot detect the alcohol nor can I sense the yeast flavor. Moderate body and slightly spritzy carbonation.

This is completely unusual to me, but not necessary in a good way. Worth seeking out if only to try something new.

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

Looks good. The nose is typical Belgian in character. The flavor is a bit too tangy, for the style. Certainly, there are some spicy hop tones on there, but there is a soapy sweet tone that is a bit too much. This is decent, but it's not quite there really. Especially with so many others of this style available. Nice beer, but not quite the Belgian IPA I'd hope for.

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

Served on-tap at Victoria Gastro Pub in Columbia, MD into a 12oz.fluted pint glass at the appropriate temperature (03/05/10)

A: Pours a nice golden straw color along with a off-white head rising about one finger. Leaves some decent lacing on the inside of the glass.

S: Some Belgian yeast combined with some piny and citrus hops. Much more mild than I was expecting.

T: Not real sure about the praise of this one because I'm not getting much from the flavor. Certainly not bad beer, but quite average. Again, Belgian yeast combined with some citrus hops and a bit of pine, but extremely mild and somewhat tasteless.

M: Light to medium-bodied with active carbonation and just the slightest hint of bitterness.

D: Easy enough to drink, but rather bland.

Overall this was not what I was expecting at all from the stellar reviews. Quite bland and disappointing.

3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

I had been eagerly waiting for this one since last year when it was first released. All the reviews had made me really wanting this badly. Finally had my brother in law get one in his suitcase from NJ. Poured it aggressivley into my Stella glass - poured a deep amber with an ivory head which collapsed from a healthy 2 inches to a collar within no time. Sheets of lacing as I swirled the beer. Smell was very citrus with bread & cookies to feature the maltiness. Hops dominated however.
From hereon is the biggest disappointment of the year. I couldn't believe the first sip - I asked myself a simple question - where is the Belgium in this Belgian Style IPA ?? This simply tasted like an IPA and that's it. Overly hopped for the style, faint maltiness that gets lost without a hint of the famed Belgian yeast aroma or flavour. Indeed disappointing. I didn't really care from here on. I am really upset with Flying Dog as I can't figure out really why is there so much variation in the outcome of their products.

3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

Sharp and startling bitter ale. The color is a classic amber color in the chalice. Nice foam and richly carbonated on the tongue. Quite bitter and hopped up. Hot with alcohol. A thin, almost harsh mouthfeel. So woody and astringent. Nose of honey, for some reason. Clear, clean, and like a bullet. Really sharp, it's beyond tangy. 60 IBU on a light body.

I'd call it an IPA with some Belgian flavors. But it's a wilder IPA than a lot of the pack. Apparently they jiggled a bottle enough for Ralph Steadman to notice and pontificate about it. 12 oz bottle from Best Damn beer store in San Diego.

3.24/5  rDev -18%

Pours a nice golden color with nice head from a 12oz bottle.

Very nice nose. Almost exactly what I would expect from a blegian IPA. You have the hop forwardness of an IPA but the esters and phenols of a blegian ale.

The taste is that of pouring an IPA and a blegian ale together. I am not sure I like the outcome. It is interesting but the hops do not complement the yeast character. They are almost opposing. At 8.4% abv it is a little hot for a traditional IPA and more in line with a Belgian Double or Tripple.

I really like the idea of mashing these styles together but I am still warry of it working well.

Not sure if I would buy this again for myself. Maybe for an IPA party. It is pretty interesting all in all.

3.24/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

First introduced to this IPA at home in Rhode Island.

a: Amber color with a 2 finger white head
s: Slight malt and fruit smell
t: Good flavor, but too bitter for me
m: Medium body with strong lingering bitterness
o: Too strong and bitter for me

Will not buy again

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear amber color with bubbles racing up the middle to a massive 2-3 finger foamy white head that had tons of bubbles in it and faded extremely slowly, leaving decent spotty lacing. The head barely budged for a minute and dissipated quite gradually.

Smells of sweet fruit like pear, apple and banana, followed by funky yeast, rusted metal, cardboard, biscuit, herbs, tea leaf, spices like coriander, pepper and light allspice, wet leaves, flowers and light alcohol. The weird metallic odor almost ruined it for me, but the yeast and spices fought back to save the day. The hops were covered up leaving the “IPA” part a non-factor.

Tastes of sweet fruit like pear, apple and banana, some clove, funky yeast, rusted metal, cardboard, biscuit, roasted grains, herbs, tea leaf, spices like coriander, pepper, allspice and maybe some cinnamon, flowers/floral hops and light alcohol. The initial fruit flavors give way to the metal and yeast and it almost tastes skunky and not like a Belgian or BIPA. The hops were very weak and while there is some bitterness, it can’t make up for the tart metallic taste that does not add anything positive to my enjoyment of this brew. The ABV is hidden quite well, but it doesn’t matter because the flavor is not that good.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with very light carbonation, a medium body and a funky metallic aftertaste that is on the dry side. I hope this was just a bad beer, as I don’t think this was meant to be as bad as this brew was tonight. I’ll have to try another one since I like Flying Dog overall.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

A - Was a light amber color with a fluffy cream colored head.

S - A good combination of belgiun and IPA. Has a malty/floral aroma combined with a caramelized sugar/spicy aroma.

T - Has a rich malty taste accompanied by a fruity and spicy aftertaste.

M - medium bodied. Would of liked to have more carbonation. It feels a bit heavy on the palate for an IPA.

O - Different. Not sure if it's a good different. I just don't think that the belguin flavors and the IPA flavors go together that well.

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, some hops. Taste is of hops, somewhat sweet, a bit of yeast, not overpoweringly bitter. Feels medium bodied and bitter in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a pretty good brew.

3.27/5  rDev -17.2%

Had to try it since it's a local brewery plus walking in and handing it to my wife was priceless.

A- Poured into a pilsner glass which revealed a 1 finger head that quickly faded to patchiness. Color is a golden yellow and zero carbonation bubbles.

S-Slammed with hops, citrus, and pine.

T-Wow slammed up front with some hop and pine bitterness that fades quickly as it is swallowed though present in the after taste. Some citrus and mild malt are noticable as well. Finishes clean and dry.

M-Dry, clean and no carbonation.

D- I find this a tab bitter to be considered a Belgian style IPA. Overall a good beer that should be experienced at least once, maybe on tap. This six pack won't go to waste.

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Served @ 41.6 degrees straight from the wine cooler. Looked great smelled good with rich pungent aroma of hops. Sweet flavor but comes on strong with the hops with a semi- bitter finish. Overall, decent beer, a litle hard to find but it is hard to drink.

3.28/5  rDev -17%

12 oz. single purchased from MSCM. 4 oz. served in a C&B tulip on November 9th, 2012.

A - Deep orange-golden coloring, white foamy head. Marginal lacing. Light legs.

S - Unfortunately, first note is wet cardboard likely from the yeast. Soft candied sugar, honey, bread, and a touch of a hop/grapefruit-like note.

T - Front palate really doesn't show much, but damn if the mid-palate doesn't explode with big pine bitterness blended with that Belgian yeast character. Brown sugar, sweeter cherry skin, and back-end bread.

M - Medium body, appropriate carbonation, dry finish. Just fine here.

D - Aroma is underwhelming, but it sort of pulls itself together in the end. Just needs to be more robust.

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

Drank from the Bottle, poured into a glass at Twelve Steps down in philly.

Smells of floral hops with a hint of yeast and alchohal.

States remotley the same, nice hoppy front with a punch of yeast towards the end. First Belgian Style I've ever had to be honest.

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad, but not great. I have to preface this by saying, I am not a "hop-head". And to call this a Belgian beer style is kind of a stretch, because I have never had a Belgian beer even close to the bitterness of this beer. Don't get me wrong the hops used are very good (Golding?), but I am looking for more of a balance of flavors.

So, about the beer...

Head that dissipates rather quickly with some lacing, amber color, smell of strong hops with a hit of funky yeast. Taste is a bit funky/earthy and on the sweet side.

3.31/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Pours a clear copper gold with a medium white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is soapy bubblegum with a little spicy hops.

The flavor is floral malts with some earthy yeast, leading to a medium spicy dry bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I don't really care for Belgian IPAs, but this is one of the better ones I've had.

3.31/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a three finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer, leaving some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Grapefruit nose. Flavor is grapefruit, some sweet orange. Dry finish. $1.75 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery