Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,092 | Hads: 3,633
3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

05/22/13 At Rattle N Hum, NYC, on tap.Listed as an imperial, I should have known what was in store. As an 'unhoppy' guy, this should have been an aggressive assault on the ol' taste buds, but it wasn't. Assertive, sure, but it actually had enough 'manners' to almost (& I emphasize the 'almost') assuage my abject aversion to the "happy in hoppy" philosophy. This is an extremely tasty treat, but I must admit the 4 oz taste I had, was more than enough. God Bless Us One and All. (479 characters)

A bitter one, but she's so good. I may get my pleasure from a variety of beers, but I go home to her. Pours a copper/golden color. Bitter and hoppy flavor with a bit of tang. Pleasant aroma. Alcohol content is up there, but not high as to overpower the flavor. Delicious and soothing. (285 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -6%

A: This beer pours a deep amber - copper color. A nice head hangs on for a few minutes.

S: A bold, initial blast of grapefruit that is complimented well by a touch of this beers strong yeast component. A bit of pepper lingers on the nose afterward.

T: This beer is bold. The grapefruit-citrus nose characteristic is still extremely prevalent, as is a malt aspect. The yeast remains. This beer seems all IPA here. Pepper still lingers, and as it warms up a touch of sweetness exposes itself. There is no doubt that there's a bit of alcohol in this one.

F: This beer holds a great level of carbonation. It has a nice level of body to it, and the ever present alcohol tingle reminds you that this beer is not foolin' around.

O: This is certainly not for everyone, but I like it a lot. It's a fun beer to drink, and one of the few IPA's on the market that is bold enough in my opinion to hold up to the colder months here in New England. The first time I had it I wasn't a huge fan, but is has grown on me. (1,009 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

Orange and cloudy.. A/T floral hops, Yeast, woody earthiness, banana and clove.. Very yeasty and astringent.. Not great the taste seems harsh with netiher style really coming out..maybe I'm just not a fan of this style.. Rather have just a ipa or Belgian ale not mixed together. (278 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

I love IPA's and I love Belgian style beers when you combine the two they are awesome. This beer fell really short on the Belgian side. I didn't really detect any of the clove or fruity esters you get from a Belgian beer. The IPA side was great. Hop aroma and flavor were on the citrus side with a nice hop bite at the end. I would rate this beer a little higher if the Belgian side came out a little stronger. (410 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: fairly clear; bronze colored

Overall: Very tasty, full of hops and Belgian Yeast. Has very bitter after taste. It took me about half the beer to get used to the taste. Very flavorful. (198 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: fairly clear; bronze colored; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thick collar; nice lacing;

S: tropical fruit that gets overtaken by Belgian yeast;

T: combo of tropical fruit hoppiness and Belgian yeast up front; the yeast gradually takes over your palate; mild bitterness at finish with a bit of grapefruit astringency;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: I enjoyed the touch of west coast hops; (417 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy, deep amber color with a large white head. The aroma is the best thing about this beer. Loaded with grapefruit and citrus hops. The flavor carries over the grapefruit but introduces quite a bit of heat from the alcohol. Very bitter in the finish. Boozy and resinous.

My brother in law bought a six pack of this and brought it to the hospital following the birth of my daughter. Two months later there are a couple of them still sitting in my fridge. That about sums up my feelings towards this beer. (506 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle at Aviator's in DIA, just as the Broncos are sealing the deal.

This beer pours a hazy, medium copper amber hue, with three fingers of puffy, frothy, and bubbly off-white head, which leaves some thorough sudsy webbed lace around the glass as it displays some very stubborn retention.

It smells of orchard fruit, grainy pale malt, earthy, mildly funky yeast, white pepper, and leafy, weedy hops. The taste is sharp Belgian yeast, gritty pale malt, a touch of biscuity caramel, a small isolated funkiness, earthy and piney hops, and a sneaky warming alcohol.

The carbonation exhibits a seemingly high number of volumes, in its solid like a brick wall frothiness, the body a decent medium weight, and actually fairly smooth. It finishes semi-sweet, and yeasty, the alcohol finding some sand in which to jam its head.

An enjoyable and well-made version of the style, the yeast and the hops not colliding, but rather working on their own, towards the common good, a pleasurable whole. Worth seeking out if you're into this sort of thing. (1,050 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

I did not love this. No subtlety to the flavor and you can really taste the high ABV. I do, however, love Flying Dog's labeling and general attitude towards the world, so I'll continue buying their beer, just not the Raging Bitch. (230 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Beautiful amber colour with big head that sticks around and great lacing.

The aroma is very fruity with orange and grapefruit notes. The Belgian yeast and suggestion of funk also come through on the nose.

The taste of this beer is really remarkable. It has American IPA bitterness and a finish that resembles Sierra Nevada Torpedo which can only be a good thing. Before that one also gets a bit of Belgian sourness. Its just sour enough to compliment the hoppy bitterness and has also enough malty sweetness to allow no one taste to predominate. Seriously well balanced but very big flavours here. Perhaps some people would not appreciate the sour taste but I am no fan of sours yet still enjoyed that element of .this beer

Overall, Flying Dog have really succeeded in fusing an American IPA with a funky Belgian ale. You really get your hop hit and your yeast fix in one glass here and its highly enjoyable,

Great stuff that could really spark a conversation or debate with a beer loving friend.

94/100 (1,008 characters)

For the right person this is definitely an extremely great beer, unfortunately my palette wasn't able to enjoy the intense hoppy taste the beer has. It is enjoyable, but it's not something I would consistently pick up. The name is great though. (244 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

From notes on 11/12/13

Pours really nice reddish brown with a 1.5 inch white head. Minimal hop smell. Can really smell the malts. Has a nice sweet malty flavor with a kick of hops. I like it. Will need to try some other Belgian IPAs. (234 characters)

A: Pours a hazy copper color with a thin-medium head
S: Hops, Orange peel, Belgian Yeast
T: Follows the nose, but also has a pleasant grapefruit note to it as well
M: Smooth with mild carbonation
O: Very good beer, especially for summer! (238 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into glasses and shared with friends. Its a nice clear amber/orange with a finger or so of white head and good lacing. Aroma is of dried fruit, caramel, molasses...most of the elements you expect in a big Belgian. Taste displays the same dried fruit character but with some herbal spiciness and substantial but not overwhelming bitterness. Nice mouthfeel. Overall, an interesting beer. This was my first Belgian IPA and I did enjoy it, but it's not a style I'll seek out. The Ralph Steadman graphics and quote on the bottle were nice conversation pieces. (586 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a large snifter.
Pours medium amber with one inch of bubbly head.
Smells hoppy and yeasty...interesting.
Tastes inline with aromas, more malt, definitely a strong presence of belgian yeast with the hops. Mouthfeel was a touch sweet.
Interesting beer. (281 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a pilsner glass

Clear, golden amber- orange liquid with good carbonation pours a solid two finger white cap with big , fluffy lacings.

Aroma of orange, tobacco, cloves.

Cloves on the first sip, sweet on the front of the tongue quickly dissipates to bitterness on the back of the tongue. Bitter aftertaste.

Medium carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

Strong flavors, sharp bitter aftertaste. Well crafted beer but not my style. (447 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

ok, not bad. Color and appearance great, head ok. Flavor is good, nice hops and such. Bottle is awesome and I assume that is what draws a lot of people to this beer and maybe even helps boost the ratings?. Nice flavor but a touch sweet at the end. Other than that, this is a nice beer from a great brewery (305 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I am a big fan of IPA's and bitter Belgian style beers so this was a perfect match for me. Color was absolutely extraordinary, however was a bit disappointed with the head retention. I also tend to like a more dry finish while this was a little sweet. Overall, I was really impressed with the color, clarity, and finish of this beer. I highly recommend. (353 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -51.6%

I want so much to like Flying Dog beers. However, every time I buy one with high hopes...raspberries.

This beer had a head that was too big and just didn't look appetizing.

The smell was a mixture of skunky, flowery...I couldn't tell what was Belgian about it.

The taste was heavy on the IPA and zero on the Belgian.

I want to like their stuff, but I just can't. (366 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

Had on draft at Tilted Kilt Hagerstown

A-Pours dark hazy copper with a half a finger of off white head. Great lacing!

S-Smell is slightly funky, notes of hops, resin, grass, lemon and Belgium yeast.

T-Taste is bitter hop, resin, yeast, and hay followed by very balanced malt background.

M-Mouthfeel has a medium body, medium carbonation, and a creamy finish.

O-I think it great mixture of a Belgium golden ale and a east coast IPA, nice beer. (450 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

An interesting twist pinning an IPA with Belgian (I assume they mean Abby) style. It seems like they were trying to outdo the Arrogant Bastard Ale in the Hops department, whilst compensating with citrus flavours. This IPA is an overly full bodied experience, encouraging my tasting associates to make comments like; “She is a raging bitch,”
“So hoppy it’s got a bunny in it,” and my personal favourite; “It’s got an orange aftertaste, but it’s still bleeding hops.” Makes for good conversation. (513 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- deeper amber color. Pours very little head but nice lacing. S- citrus and caramel. Reminiscent of a Belgian ale. T- sweet with good malt backbone. Bitter aftertaste, almost tart. M- medium with hops lingering. Decent carbonation. O- with the intriguing yet almost repulsive artwork on the bottle this delivers for me. A good hop to malt ratio with Belgian yeast pleases my taste buds and is very drinkable to my standards. (426 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I have been giving Raging Bitch many second chances for about ten years now. I just can't do it. Every time I see the cool label and the 8.2 percent and get exited, buy it and take it home..., well it gets popped, i sip and am utterly disappointed. It's a true struggle to finish a six pack of this stuff and I'm a 12 year craft brew (wtf does that even mean these days) veteran.

You want a belga/IPA yada yada? Go with the Ruination. Heaven... (446 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into pint glass. A really great take on an often poorly executed style. Flying Dog delights us again with the Raging Bitch. Great dark golden color, the Bitch pours easily into room temperature pint glass. Leaves behind medium lacing with a rich golden-white head. Easy belgian taste up front, followed quickly by bitter hops. The hop takes over the flavor and lingers for a bit. Mouthfeel is overall very nice. Notes of the belgian fullness are there, but in my opinion the hop bites quickly and doesn't let go. Good beer. Would drink again. (549 characters)

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery