Join our email list →

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States | website

Belgian IPA | 8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,119 | Hads: 3,777
3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

(12 oz bottle, code X118A16, poured into a teku)

L: deep, almost reddish-amber liquid, with a slight haze and much tiny translucent flecks floating about... puts up a rather tall , open-spongy foam that holds momentarily, but ultimately collapses, hardly leaving any sud islands... lil snot trails of lace

S: rich, sweet-citrus core, with notes of tropical fruit, circus peanut, and a nip of peppery spice... the fruitiness is reminiscent of a fruit-scented lip balm, so perhaps some medicinal undertones as well, but it's hardly hot or phenolic... definitely a malty underbelly with a crystal malt edge... overall, vibrant esters and hops and pleasing intensity

T: quite a solid, polished malt base with an almost peach-fruity, yogurt-cream, hoppy shell and sleek booze pop carrying it out... potent, almost puckering, tea-leafy, citrus-peel bitterness lingers and lingers... over-hopped imperial amber with a Belgian yeast?... light candy-like red grapefruit essence later in aftertaste

F: tight, lightly-glassy body with a delicate residual resinous outflow, with the roundness of the crystal malt dextrins lending it a touch of dimension... very appealing dryness that enables me to have 1-2 more

O: some good things (smell, dryness), and some things to be desired... certainly taste the Belgian element of this beer... intensity of hops and alcohol is potent and finely-tuned... it may be a bit too polished on its edges, certainly lacking depth, but it's undeniable that the taste is in your face enough for you to remember it, and I haven't had another beer that tastes all that similar

3.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle picked up somewhere back east. Perfectly hopped ale, just the right amount of bitterness. Dark gold with creamy head,mildly hopped, smooth with a dry finish

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear copper with a finger of head. The nose is surprisingly citrusy and not at all funky. The flavor profile has very mild Belgian funkiness. The hop profile is not terribly aggressive but the dry finish is still quite nicely done.

2.99/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a golden brown hue, with a short, fizzy head.

Banana and clove on the nose, where the "Belgian" inspiration is most prevalent.

The taste is where the hops jump out and startle you. It's like a hoppy tripel.

It's intriguing at first, but then it just becomes a bitter barrage. Tripels can already be pretty harsh if not perfected, and with the addition of hops, which have their own harshness if not properly restrained, it's a little overwhelming. I can see this having a niche audience of avid fans at some point.

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

...sorry but I just don't know why this beer is called a "Belgian"-Style IPA. The look is so great. Amber, yet like Bernstein. Good foam.... fruits on the nose. Smells like a sliced Mango, notes of tree gum...and a lot of tropical fruits.... I like that.
Taste is super-sweet, like honey, good body and a slight biterniss... the finish is a bit bubblegumish and not that bitter for a 8.3 ABV IPA-Style-beer..Whats the IBU? Anyway.... in my opinion the best finisht a beer could have. Very Good!

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from the tap into a snifter. The beer pours a clear light orange color with an off-white medium sized head. the aroma is full of citrus and spices with a good hop mix. The flavor matches the aroma and is pretty good. Overall, a nice Belgian IPA. My first beer from Flying Dog.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a pint glass. The color is a pretty orange-amber with a thick, creamy milk white head and lacing. The smell is fruity and hoppy but with a noticeable sweetness. This one starts with some sweetness: toffee, vanilla, and some sweet fruitiness, which quickly gives way to cloves, citrus, and a hoppy pine bitterness. This ale is well carbonated and it masks its 8.30 ABV quite well. Overall, it's an excellent example of a Belgian-style IPA; enough sweetness to make it interesting and refreshing.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours cloudy with low head that dissipates rapidly, in part due to the wide glass. Very strong bitter hoppy aroma. American style hops with citrus notes and bitter rind-like aroma. Taste is bitter, but not as bitter as the aroma, with a complimentary sweet banana flavor. Feels foamy and thick, but not as thick as a porter. Overall an interesting IPA.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Another great beer from a great MD brewer. I probably have a six pack of this stuff every month....typically at my favorite local restaurant l, Vin 909, where this is usually on the beer menu. Orange and off white yellow hue poured with a strong 1/2 inch head that lasts. I enjoy with a wide range of food as it is well balanced hops and malt flavors and palate pleasing feel deliver both a good punch but activate your taste buds for the food to come. I have had without food and do not enjoy as much....ask the bartender or server at Vin for pairing recommendation and you can't go wrong

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

Look- Nice semi-cloudy deep orange, small white head that sticks around a while. Light lacing.
Smell-Citrus hops, lightly sweet, not much yeast for a Belgian style
Taste-Malt on the front end, semi-bitter hops on the back. Good overall balance. A slight hint of yeast.
Feel- Effervescent, sticky rather than dry. I think dry would be a more appropriate finish.
Overall; Pretty good, I just had an Allagash Hugh Malone earlier in the week that blew this away in the style of Belgian IPA, still I'd pick this up again in a pinch. Extra style points for Ralph Steadman art on the label.

4.31/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Crazy stuff for a novice like me. Very strong, but packed with flavor.

Grapefruit prevails for me here. Grains and yeast are quite hidden

For Me, one of the best IPA's I've had (yet)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear, medium amber color, with a 1-finger, slightly off-white head.

Wonderful fruity hop aroma.

Taste of the same... Fruity, semi-citrus, semi-hop taste without much bitterness.

Overall a nice IPA.

12 ounce bottle in a pint glass.

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Huh, not sure what's up with this, but I'm not seeing this as hitting the mark as a "belgian style". Maybe its the fact that it has the ABV of a Triple, not sure. But, I still enjoyed it...so here's the details:

Look: Copper, burnt orange color with a fine, almost champagne like effervescence (maybe that's belgian). Poured into a not even sorta appropriate glass by the National Pastime bar in the Gaylord National Harbor it still managed to maintain a thin but substantial head that stuck to the glass and covered the top of the beer.

Smell: Just clean. Nothing of note. Nothing IPA hoppy, no belgian yeast or graininess. But clean and fresh.

Taste: Mid level american IPA. No noteable belgian yeast, on the dry side though, maybe just a little remeniscent of a saison. Nothing to indicate the high ABV either...sneaky.

Feel: Nice. Medium body. Little lactose creaminess going on.

Overall quite a pleasant drinkeable beer especially for the alcohol level. For a better example of the style, maybe a Clown Shoes Muffin Top or a Brewery Vivant Tree Bucket

4.03/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Flying Dog is excellent in general and this Belgian-Style IPA has 8.3% ABV and a lot to offer.

Look-It pours a medium-golden amber color with orange hues. The head is thick and foamy, but diminishes into a typical IPA thin film.

Smell-It smells of nutty caramel malts, rich Belgian yeast, and citrus hops. I also smell grapes, orange, and grapefruit.

Taste-The taste is rich with oak roasted toffee, bubblegum, vanilla, and honey-suckle. The bitterness is short-lived which is interesting, because it comes on strong. I taste some candied almond and chestnut on top of pine needle, cedar, and almost an aged rum flavor.

Mouthfeel-The complex and welcoming flavor is warm and inviting. It is medium-bodied and delicious. This style usually is overly sweet, but this particular brew is well-balanced and crisp.

Overall-It is a great beer with so many flavors and attributes. There is a lot to gather in each sip and I think you will be surprised with this Belgian-Style IPA! Cheers!

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A Picnic in the Park

We're in the process of selling our house. The closing date was two weeks ago, but the buyers' bank has been delaying and delaying. The loan is approved. But they just keep delaying. We can't buy our new house until we sell the old one. Our house is vacant. We've been living in a hotel for two weeks. So needless to say, when I saw the name of this beer sitting on the shelf, it seemed like it was just like I needed. And with 8.30% ABV, I'll be feeling better after a couple more bottles.

Precious got me a nice beer drinking glass at Salvation Army. I pour it in, and in pours a beautiful rust color with a slight head. The smell reminds me of a picnic. I can't explain it, but smelling it gives me visions of a sitting in the shade of a tree in the middle of a meadow on a cool spring morning. Or maybe I'm losing my mind. Either way, I'm happy. And it has a wonderful IPA taste but with a little less bitterness than IPAs that I've grown to love. Going down I can taste the high alcohol content almost getting a slight hint of a bourbon flavor, but then again I still could be losing my mind.

Either way, as I sit in the hotel cursing this bank, I find it very appropriate that I'm drinking a beer with a name that matches how I feel.

4.36/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It's a mixture of everything I love between the two extremes of beers in the international world. The citrusy tartness found in the belgian/german variety (weihenstephaner) or the hoppy, satisfying bitterness in the classic American IPA.

Smells of the slight sour in pepperoni, wafts of well...pate. This was alarming as the other one other time this characteristic scared me was with the Bell's 2 Hearted Ale (IPA, from MI). But, the citrus and cloves pleasantly surprised me on the palate as I took a reserved sip. That crisp, light-hearted tang in the Belgian beer has cozily blanketed itself in the rough Indian Pale Ale exterior.

Overall, this was exactly what I was looking for in the middle of a nasty Mexican Deli. Recommend!

PS. Pours brown with copper accents. Light head & crappy lacing.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is my "go-to" brew at the bar across the street from my apartment. Great amber appearance with really impressive lacing, it's basically a solid wall going down the side. The aroma reminds me of a rye IPA, some tropical notes coming through. Taste is a wall of malt and heavy bitterness, some classic IPA citrus coming through too. Another winner from Flying Dog.

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%

-middling to heavy hop bitterness upfront
-IPA typical fruity notes like Lemon,grapefruit,orange,pineapple,mango and passionfruit
-sweet caramel
-bubble gum notes from the belgian yeast
-pretty hoppy,watery,slightly sweet finish

starts out great,ends a little thin.
still very good

3.54/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Yields about a finger’s worth of tan to off-white foam, while not an especially deep head, what is there sticks around, the lacing forms broad irregular splotches which languidly slide down the glass. Coppery reddish brown hued liquid, not really clear nor really hazy, large amount of highly active bubbles rushing upwards, manages good brightness given the general darkness of color. The nose is on the sweeter side with caramel, toffee, vanilla fudge and pie dough notes, there is a leafiness there too which freshens up the apricot, apple to cherry scents, finishes with clove spice and pepper, lot going on and not always marching to the same beat. Full-bodied, clingy to almost syrupy mouth texture, feels heavy on the palate. Spicier here with clove, pine and mineral water accents accompanied by a broader mixed citrus presence. The carbonation is energetic enough to shave off some of the sugariness of the peach, apricot, pineapple fruit, a needed effect. Dry enough that the majority of the caramel, vanilla, cola bean notes recede. The flavors sort of halt suddenly at the end, made more obvious by their boisterous nature as it first enters the mouth.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I read it was a Belgian IPA I thought wow that sounds like an amazing combination of beer. I did not like it as much as I thought I would lol

With any IPA it has to have some type of bite or bitterness to it and this had none. Decent beer, just not my thing.

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Given a single bottle by my next door neighbor. Poured at fridge temp into a Duvel tulip. Coppery, haazy amber. Fuzzy white head. Aroma is a yummy, jolly rancher sour apple. Flavor is thick white bread with an explosion of clove-like Belgian yeast. Mouthfeel is a souffle of joy. Surprising how good this beer is.

3.59/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Used to be a bigger fan of this one when I was first getting into craft drinks but after trying a lot of new bottles this one has been knocked down a few pegs. Very crisp and clean, almost too much so as the bitterness is not really complimented by much else. Hoppy, strong and sharp overall but still a good choice in its style. Thin mouthfeel, with the word clean and crispy coming up again. A great beer to enjoy when feeling hot but hard to recommend having multiples in a session.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Not usually a high ABV guy, or fancy Belgian Ale guy. But Raging Bitch is in a class of its own. Smooth, plenty of complexity over time. And yes, rage on.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the hishest ranked beers I'v done. All around great color, aroma, taste and feel. Definately does not behave like a 8.3% ABV. Almost sweet. Closing my eyes i could be smelling a yeasty wine. surprised BROS dont have this higher but the people have spoken!!!

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I really enjoyed this...smooth...not very "hoppy"... Well disguised ABV....I was admittedly drawn by the cool name/packaging/marketing. I give it a thumbs up and will try other selections from this brewer.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery