Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros

IPAbastard760, Jun 07, 2014

IPAaron, Nov 17, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Copper colored with a finger of head. Leaves little lacing. The smell is hoppy with a definitive alcohol overtone-that I can't say I prefer-and yeast. Fortunately the taste is much better with milder hops than I'm used to in American IPAs, but very tasty. I read they use American hops, and perhaps they are just very nicely balanced with more pale malts then I'm used to. Or perhaps they use the candied sugars often used in Belgian ales to increase the sweetness. The yeast taste Belgian and really just makes everything alright with me. When cold the alcohol is less noticeable, but as it warms the alcohol becomes more obvious. I like high gravity beers, but I prefer the alcohol to be more hidden, but that's a minor complaint that I feel a little awkward even mentioning. The alcohol is more pronounced in the smell than on the palate. The mouthfeel is medium or even a little beyondwith low carbonation leaving it a very drinkable beer. I will buy this again for sure.

airheadmtrcycle, Oct 25, 2010

benbou17, Dec 29, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This pours transparent amber with two fingers of head. The taste seems lagered (it almost has German features), but that could be the appearance suggesting that. I smell a lot of sweetness, more specifically, brown sugar. It does have the typical Belgium flavors...yeast and other crap that I could do without. For being an 8.3%, the tastes hides the strength pretty well, but this wasn't the first beer of the night either. It is very sweet, but has a nice hop presence. I am curious to know what this beer tastes like on a fresh pallet; time may tell. Hey! It's 8.3%, What?!

beerdown77, Feb 05, 2011
3.69/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice copper colour with a nice off-white head and good lacing. The smell definitely reminds me of a good Belgian IPA, but it isn't particularly interesting. The taste is dominated by the hops. It's very bitter, and you can only detect a little balance from the malts. Quite piney. And I'm quite sure I can taste the Belgian yeast in there as well. Slighty oily mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation. Overall, not bad, but it doesn't go down as a favourite.

Intrinsic, Jun 07, 2014

jlivings757, Dec 12, 2013
3.83/5  rDev -1%

Poured into my Sam Adams Boston Lager Pint Glass.

A - Pours a clear copper with very active carbonation, about a half inch of sugary white head that leaves a little lacing.

S - Big sticky candy sweetness, yeast funk, and clove (but not too much), I don't get any hops at all.

T - Hops come through right away, bitterness, some of the candy flavors, slight clove, banana, and slight yeast funkiness. This has a lot of layers of flavors.

M - Light bodied, a bit slick, and lots of carbonation.

D - This is pretty good, definitely different. Tasty, refreshing and a lot of flavor.

semibaked, Jul 04, 2010

This is the gold standard of Belgian IPAs. As you can see by the amount of review this beer has been amazing successful and is the most popular out of all FLying Dog brews. It satisfies the needs of the hop heads out there and also caters to those on the opposite end of the spectrum that like the Belgian.

This beer smells fruity with a higher than average alcohol content of 8.3%. The beer is a dark amber color when poured into a bottle with a heavy amount of white lacing. Flying Dog forces carbonation in their beer so there is heavy head on this beer. It leads to a smooth, crisp heavily carbonated (though not in a bad way) mouthfeel. The taste is slightly sweet due to the Belgian yeast but neither that nor the taste of the hops linger. This is a very drinkable beer.

Ryanm1, Nov 27, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

ChesterHop, Aug 30, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Had a big bottle but that didn't taste right. Jeffo insisted I try it fresh so I did.

Had these bottles taken straight from the case it came in at Bert's bierhuis.

Came out a little red, copper if you will but very clear. Almost no head.

Nice aroma. Citrus and Hop. Very West Coast.

BOOM it's in my mouth. I already know I love this beer from the very first taste. Bittersweet malts, a little citrus and lots of bitterness.

Very crisp with just the right amount of carbonation. 8.3% abv but I could drink this all night long.

Having grown up on Belgian Pale Ale's I don't quite see where this would fit in that style. A US West Coast IPA this is imho and a very good one. The best is that I can get this fresh and for a reasonable price on my end of the pond. Will make get on my bike to buy a few fresh one's whenever I can.

doopiedoopiedoo, Feb 03, 2011

jsf14, Sep 02, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

aleslover, Jan 01, 2013
3.04/5  rDev -21.4%

A - Slightly clouded amber color. 1-finger off white head with moderate retention. Carbonation looks light. Good lacing.

S - Belgian yeast are up front, citrus and grassy hops underneath. Some bready malts as well.

T - Hmm, not sure how a feel about this one. The flavors of Belgian yeast come through, along with the sweetness of a belgian style beer. The IPA notes are also very much present, but are overpowered to me by the belgian style sweetness. Finishes with a nice malt backbone like a good IPA. Very conflicting on the tongue.

M - Okay, a little bit of slick oiliness.

O - Really not sure what to think. I'm not a fan of the sweet tripel style beers, and I am a fan of IPAs, and this reminds me of a cross between those two. I'm not sure that it works for my taste. The tripel style is just a little too overpowering, almost like I poured a tripel into a glass after drinking a pale ale and didn't clean the glass out or get a new one. Interesting concept, and really not a bad beer. I could see this working for some, but it's not for me.

cottonkoozie, Jun 08, 2014

joshwalt, Jul 23, 2012

CM31, Feb 17, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Recommended by a gentleman in Watertown. Wow. Cool beer. I read the bros review...but I must disagree. An excellent beer. Wonderfully rich hop aroma. Dry hopped for sure. Piney. Taste is interesting indeed. Huge hops with a spicy bite. Peppery perhaps from a Belgian yeast. So smooth with a rich mouthfeel. Gentle but lingering bitterness. High marks. Bros...try this again.

jbonapar, Dec 23, 2011