Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,100 | Hads: 3,662

Pours amber with a thick foam that has good retention with decent lacing all the way down.

Hoppy, some pine and citrus going for it.

Taste is similar, hoppy upfront with the citrus then going into a malt backing to balance it out

Mouthfeel is medium and creamy. Drinkability is pretty good, the 8.3% ABV isn't noticeable and I could have another with ease. (359 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Just got this beer in at work. I've been waiting for it for a while now. Here goes...
Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Appearance: Nice, fluffy two inch head. The beer itself is a deep golden color and slightly cleaner than one would expect from a belgian pale.

Smell: Resiny and citrusy hops blend with the sweetness of the malt and candi sugar and the bubblegum and slight funk from the yeast. All pretty much in equal measure. Friggin awesome.

Taste: Hops dominate initiallly with citrus then quickly fade to sweet, yeasty, belgian-y goodness. The after taste is huge grapefruit citrus and pine bitterness balanced with a residual sweetness.
Alcohol is present but not overpowering or distracting.

Mouthfeel: Slick and coating but the lively carbonation keeps the heavy-sided belgian body from becoming too much.

Drinkability: Considering i'm on my second glass just in the time it took me to write this review I'd say it's pretty good. The complexity of taste and smell are enough to make me keep wanting to go back for another sip and the alcohol is hidden well enough not to make me weary.

Flying Dog makes great beers and this is one of their best. Grab it if you can find it. (1,195 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4%

A-golden amber color with suspended particales and some bubbles raising through it. the head is egg shell white that lingers for almost a full minute and leaves some fair lacing on the glass.

S-the nose is quite hoppy, it brings some pine giving way to citrus and grapefruit hops that fades into some funky belgian yeast.

T-the taste follows the nose and it is quite a hoppy belgian style ipa. the pine and citrus come in first fading into the belgian funk or yeast from the nose, the finish actually brings some resignous piney hops, notes of grapefruit and a lingering bitterness

M-this has a solid medium to full body. it is quite syrupy and on the higher end of the carbonation spectrum. it finishes very crisp and brings a slight warming from the alcohol

D-this is a nice Belgian IPA bringing good hops and a thick mouthfeel. i will enjoy the six pack i picked up! (873 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

I am not afraid to admit that I am not a Flying Dog fan. I find their beers quite lackluster, with the exeption of a select few. Their 20th Anniversary beer better be worth the wait. Here is my review:

A: Pours a nice golden amber color. Somewhat hazy. Head is okay with some light lacing. Some carbonation is present.

S/T: The aroma is sweet and very hoppy, with a touch of Belgian yeast. Taste is excellent. Very hop forward on the palate. Lots of grapefruit, citrus and a touch of pine. A little bit of malty sweetness. The Belgian yeast comes though in the finish. Very complex, hoppy and balanced. Easily Flying Dogs best beer.

M/D: Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Pretty bitter with a semi-dry finish. Drinks very nicely. Could be sessioned.

I already said this is Flying Dog's best beer. Easily. Is it the best Belgian IPA? Possibly. There is stiff competition, but I think this one can hold its own. Buy this beer. Flying Dog has to make this their official anniversary beer: a yearly release in the Canis Major series. (1,028 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

20th anniversary ale? Congrats!

Snifter pour with an amber/copper ale produced and an egg white colored foamy head with staying power. The aroma is awesome! Floral, fruity (pear, pineapple), pine, malty and many more! Bitter initial taste with some peppery hints and then a "woosh" of floral (rose?) on the swallow and a minor bitter/woody/nutty aftertaste. If you're looking for sweetness (from the aroma) look elsewhere. Drinkability is somewhat limited at 8.3% but I thoroughly enjoyed my snifter 12 oz. and look forward to my next.

Overall I feel this was an excellent take on the Belgian IPA style and be warned...Flying Dog is here. Excellent showing at the 2009 GABF is well deserved. (693 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was my first Belgian-style IPA. Picked up a 12oz bottle, well priced. Pours a great golden color w/ amazing white fluffy head and lacing. This beer is hoppy as hell! The hops outweight the belgian characteristics, which is ok. Medium-bodied and bitter. Flying Dog has something to be proud of w/ this one. This would be a great summer beer. (345 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

A- Right off the bat this sucker has a right thick head and the looks of stinging carbonation. Has a light yellow color to it when poured like a golden ale should... but this is no golden ale. Looking into it top-down it looks crimson... weird.

S- The hoppy awesomeness screams, "I am an IPA drink me," so yeah there's a lot of hoppiness going on here with a spicy sweetness that kind of sticks to the inside of your nose, citrusy kind of like lemon or lime, not entirely sure.

T- Bitter, yes, like most IPAs but this one is more like a hoppy golden ale. A hint of spicy hops maybe amarillo hops? A little more citrusy and less earthen than many IPAs and just a tad sweet, not really noticeable until it's been sipped a little. Definitely not a lot of carbonated taste for how much foam there was, perhaps hiding underneath the hops, either way it's hardly noticeable. A nice splash of grapefruit takes the cake.

M- Even though the taste of the carbonation isn't entirely there, one can feel it and its pretty blatant but certainly not overwhelming. The spicyness leaves kind of a stinging sensation on the tongue.

D- A little smooth a not too rough, pretty much a perfect balance. Very drinkable for an IPA lover like myself, maybe not so much for one who doesn't, but either way it goes down right. (1,304 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

light amber/dark orange body (standard I/APA color, adequate carbonation trails, light tan head. The head is less aggressive than I would expect from 90% of anything with the name 'Belgian' in it. Head is sturdy, mostly small bubbles leaving a sticky cobweb lacing.

(Warning: Am a little stuffed up. I apologize.) Belgian yeast that isn't too yeasty smelling with very mellow aroma hop character. Smells like an exotic gelato. Hint of vanilla (Tahitian).

Deliciousness! Subdued, but clean hop bitterness followed by flavorful, grassy, piney hops (some dry hopping?) balanced with a candy malt sweetness that I would guess comes from unfermented non-maltose sugars (cane? honey? what's belgian candi sugar again?) and a healthy dose of a moderate, malty crystal (60L?). Bitterness extremely clean as it hits moderately hard, mellows, and then softens until gone; elapsed time, 1 min. 30 sec. As it warms the malt and yeast mellow to a banana cream pie filling with a mild vanilla cushion. Also, for the ABV this one goes down nice and smooth with nary a taste of alcohol, even at 65F.

At 8.3% I'm sipping this one so a lot of carbonation really doesn't hurt. Each sip is full bodied, yet not sticky. Is this the work of some sucrose additions as a body lightener? Whatever it is, it works. Sweet, not very dry.

I love it. Great malt backbone, alcohol balanced nicely, masterful additions of hops. I especially appreciate the strong, yet not face-melting degree of clean bitterness. Excellent aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. I could session the crap out of this beer which would probably kill me with the alcohol lever, but that's how good it is.

Edit* Some bubblegum in the nose. I was wondering what it was when I came upon TonyReaves' review. You hit the nail on the head, man. (1,780 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz bought @ Nikki's poured into Chouffe tulip.

A- Copper kettle ambery orange and remarkably clear beer, a slightly off-white, thick, creamy head that billows up and over the glass. Settles into a little pancake ontop of the beer.

S- Yeasty, chalky, a bit dusty/musty. Sweet malt base comes through. Hops are pretty subdued, but slightly peppery.

T- In a word, hoppy. Hoppy as all hell, and a nice counter-balance of really strong yeasty, doughy and chalky flavors. Hops are spicy, earthy, and a bit piny.

M- Hmm... perhaps a bit too aggressive? Hops kind of blast through some of the nuances I like in the style.

D- Hmm... I like this beer, but I don't think it's anywhere near my favorite belgian IPAs. This is a hell of a lot hoppier, and perhaps that's the problem. Perhaps a bit too eager to come out swinging.

Am I really calling an IPA too hoppy? Huh. I feel with a little refinement on the hops other flavors might not be so overpowered. A tasty beer, but lacking the magic 'it' that makes beers like Chouffe and Allagash BIPAs stand out.

I'm going to sit on a bottle for a while (something I never do) and see if it smooths it out a bit. (1,157 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%

20th anniversary beer from Flying Dog. Poured into a Poursmouth Brewery tulip.

This beer is a crystal clear, rustic amber color. A foamy white head rested on top which reduced to froth and some nice lacing.

Awesome grapefruit and floral notes hit the nose. This definitely smells like an IPA. The hop aroma has a beautiful marriage with the belgian yeast/malt scent. It's bright, fruity and spicy. Hints of lemon, coriander and cinnamon.

The taste is a little too sweet. There's a strong grapefruit taste combined with this musty hop taste. Alcohol is very well hidden. I would think this is no where near 8.5%. I'm not sure the hops combine with the belgian characteristics as well as in the aroma. It's just a little too sweet and fruity and then this musty flavor comes off in the finish.

Carbonation is a little high. I find it good for the style. Mouthfeel is decent, slightly syrupy.

I was excited to try this and I'm still glad I got to. But I'm also glad I only bought a single. I don't think the aggressive hopping of this beer combines well with the belgian style aspect. Its just too many things going on at once. I can definitely see what they were trying to do though. (1,187 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +19.5%

appearance: golden color pale ale, slight reddish dapple, nice lacing residue

smell: belgian yeasty and bread smell. sublte hops, Interesting...

taste: nice hop kick, grassy, earthy taste on the backend. decent alcohol bite on the back too.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

Fantastic beer, I want to see more high hop belgian IPAs (326 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +21.6%

I've been savoring this six-pack over the past 2 weeks. Poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a deep ruby red with a huge, thick white head. Took a couple of minutes for that head to die down. Fine lacing. If you showed me a photo of this glass when I was at work, you'd break my heart.

Herbal hops and a little bubblegum in the smell. Moving on.

I love the Belgian IPA style, but this is a cut above. Bubblegum, a light breadiness, heavy carbonation has it dancing across my tongue. Bitterness is moderate, but there's a huge rush of spicy/herbal hops. Bready finish with a tiny bite from the alcohol.

Good body to this one- actually a little heavy in the body considering there's almost no discernible sweetness. Victory malt? Heavy carbonation keeps it from feeling syrupy.

Alcohol content be damned, I'm going to drink a ton of this in 2010. I hear it's selling fast, so I'll probably buy it by the case. Each beer begs for another to follow.

I think this is going to be huge for Flying Dog. A lot of people are mixed on them, and this is going to do huge things for their reputation.

It'll also be good for the style. It's not a common one among U.S. brewers right now, but I think we'll see a lot more Belgian IPAs come next year. (1,244 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Pours a somewhat hazy orange-bronze color. The off-white head is quite tall, with a fairly dense, frothy texture. Retention is persistent, with reasonable lacing plastered to the sides of the glass.

S: Equal parts citric (lemon zest) and spicy/floral hop aromas are most prevalent, and vibrantly so. There's also enough of a tangy/yeasty Belgian twang to give this a unique character, with hints of candi sugar.

T: A sweet, moderate malt backbone is accompanied by a very strong hop flavor and bitterness. Hop flavors are primarily floral and spicy, with lemony citric notes as well. Perceived bitterness is high - 60 IBUs are really rearing their heads. There's a flash of alcohol into the robustly spicy finish.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation is somewhat lively. A bit of a sticky, oily feel fades into a very dry finish.

D: This is definitely one of the most interesting beers I've had in a while. A unique, hoppy bombshell of a Belgian-style ale. Drinkability is difficult to assess. The wild flavor profile scores points, but the finished product is a bit rough, raw, and alcoholic. One thing is certain though; this bitch can rage. (1,147 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%

Full disclosure: I bought a variety case of Flying Dog some years back and didn't like a single bottle. Still, I heard the positive buzz on this brew and picked it up.

Appearance: Wow. Every color of golden tan in a gradiated spectrum leading up to a finger of cream-colored head. So beautiful it's now the background of my cell phone.

Smell: Some citrus, with a hint of pine and floral notes mixed with an earthy spiciness. I also pick up some over ripe tropical fruit. Fantastic combination.

Taste: Homina, homina, homina. So delicious. The hops contribute citrus, the yeast is Belgian funk with a hint of bubblegum (thank god, not too much), there is a malt-y almost corn tortilla background with peppery spice weaving in and out. Complex, but not bash you over the head gonzo. Throughout the glass it gains some spiciness and loses some hops/malt, otherwise this Bitch would get a straight 5.0.

Mouthfeel: Lovely. Thick without being cloying and nicely carbonated. Perfect complement for the taste.

Drinkability: A little too high on the ABV to go any higher on the drinkability, but boy did it go down easy. I'm wishing I had another, which is always a good sign.

Overall: A hell of a brew that's going to make me have to rethink my stance on Flying Dog in general. (1,276 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%

Love many of the Flying Dog beers, and love most Belgian IPAs if done right, but if they're not done right they can be pretty bad. Hopefully this is a good combination of good brewery and good style.

A: Creamy 1 finger head covering a very clear golden orange pink hue color.

N: Nose has a very fresh spicy wet hop bite! I mean like it was freshly hopped yesterday with tons of fresh musty wet hop aromas. Some light Belgian malt aromas. Some pine and citrus as well. I think this might be too hopped for a Belgian IPA.

T: Much better, a strong Belgian malt and some Belgian sugar sweetness hits first this time. Then more bitter hops hit with more fresh musty wet hop flavors as well. It starts to build with more bitter hop flavors and pine and citrus lightly. Some spicy flavors as well. Hints of malty boozy taste, but lightly. The spicy and heavy hops just way overpower any of the actual Belgian aspects after the first .5 seconds of the first sip and no more Belgian.

M: Semi thick with quite a bit of carbonation.

F: Very bitter again, too bitter for a Belgian IPA. Dries off quite a bit as it bitters, way over the top bitter. Spicy flavors and some lingering malt flavors.

This beer would be a great AMERICAN IPA, but not Belgian. For a Belgian IPA it needs to be a lot more subtle on the hop bitterness and much less aggressive. I'm not sure why they even call this a Belgian IPA. This shows how Americans can take styles too far. Flying Dog I love most of your beers, but this is just too far! (1,512 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +23.3%

One of my new favorites. Big on hops - great aroma - overall well made beer.

Something about this hop characteristic sets it apart. The aroma is almost that of fresh / raw hops. Very strong, gives it a great bite, but not overwhelming.

I have bought more than one human should consume in the last two weeks, and I fear that once the production run is over I may be curled up on the bathroom floor calling liquor stores to see if I can get a quick fix. They need to make this a fulltime production beer. (505 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +0.5%

Wiseman Zach picked up a sixer of this at Cork N' Bottle in San Luis Obispo. He'll be helping me (Nick) out in this review.

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Body is clear - crystal clear - and bright copper, showing light carbonation within. A tall, foamy, off-white head sits on top and retains quite well. Thick lacing blankets the glass walls all the way down. N: 4.5; Z: 4.5

Smell: Sweet piney hops combine nicely with grapefruit, orange zest, honeysuckle, and banana. Toasted malt, which smells kinda like overcooked popcorn, also plays a pretty large role. Pretty resinous with just the right amount of sweetness. That burnt popcorn aroma is a little off-putting, but otherwise this smells pretty good. N: 4.0; Z: 3.0

Taste: Piney hops, potpourri (if it tasted like it smelled), bubblegum, orange, doughy malt, banana, tart lemon, and a touch of salt. Nice complexity throughout. Finishes bitter, peppery, and alcoholic. Zach finds this beer to be very clean and "sophisticated"; like Pliny the Elder with some extra (Belgian) nuances. N: 4.0; Z: 4.5

Mouthfeel: Prickly, dry, actively carbonated, and surprisingly warm. Medium-bodied, possibly even light-bodied for an IPA. Bold, which seems to be Flying Dog's calling card. N: 4.0; Z: 4.25

Drinkability: Certainly interesting, and pretty damn drinkable for a beer that packs a big punch. Gets easier to drink toward the end of the session, but at no point would either one of us call this beer "easy". Enjoy! N: 4.0; Z: 4.5 (1,500 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -7%

A few people have had said positive things about this, and for $2, I couldn't pass on it. Thanks for the recommendation, Mike!

The pour is a brilliant golden-amber with excellent clarity when carefully decanted. There's a thin off-white head that is present, leaving some lace.

The nose is pretty solid for the style. Bright hops with pungent grapefruit and some pine, there's a ton of bittering hops. The Belgian character is also fairly assertive, yeasty and spicy. There's also quite a grassy, pine needle character. Solid, though not to my particular liking.

Opening with a fairly potent bitterness with a lot of pine needles and grapefruit and citrus rind, this is quite the palate-bruiser. The hop bitterness is really strong, quite dominating the Belgian yeast character that's relegated to the background with a yeasty, spicy, estery character. There is a definite malt presence, mildly sweet and honey like. Resiny on the finish with more hop bitterness, this is EXACTLY what I'd imagine an East Coast Belgian IPA to taste like. Medium-light in body with a fairly high level of carbonation, this beer is solid. Great for the style, but unfortunately, the style just doesn't do it for me. (1,199 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured clear copper color with a large frothy off-white head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy tart citrus hop and small yeast aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and soft carbonation. Moderate citrus sweet flavor with a moderate bittersweet finish of medium duration. Very good complex brew. (315 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Slightly hazy copper color. Poured a 1 finger tan headthat dissipated to an even skim. Decanted lightly. Thin lacing washed down the glass.

S: Belgian yeast and fruity esters. Floral American hops and grapefruit. Pretty eclectic.

T: Just like the smell. Resiny hops more pronounced than other Belgian IPA's. Shrply bitter in the finish.

M: Medium body. Ample carbonation. Lively, but smooth.

D: Interesting complexity of flavors. Personally, I liked it a lot. (466 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +20.1%

I was at a beer snob party: eveyone brings one or two unique 6 packs (or 1 4 pack or 12 pack, you get it) and we drink and whatever else.
I tried this at 7. By 10 i'd driven to the store the and bought the last two packs they had available.
Flying Dog impresses again.
Appearance: amber in color, nice head that doesn't stay up long. Some lace was left in the cup.

Smell: sweet, crisp, slightly miss leading because it smells like a Belgian style beer, when this is far from any Belgian style i've had.

Taste: the most important part. Starts out smooth, ends with the 60 IBU it is packing.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful, but if you do not like bitter beers, but you like Belgian-style beers, don't try to fool yourself into thinking this is one of them. This is an IPA before it is a "Belgian-Style" beer-- no oranges here. Just Hops Hops and Hops.

Drinkablility- For me the best. I have zero dislikes about this beer, but I stand behind what I said previously: This is an IPA before it is a "Belgian-style."

Cheers. (1,017 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into duvel tulip

A: pours deep amber, with a off white two finger head that slowly fell to half a finger of foam.
S: sweet malt and bitter hops, grapefruit and pine
T: grapefruit like sweetness and bitterness, mildly piney. not overly bitter.
M: medium carbonation makes it light on the tongue, but it is also creamy.
D: good, easy sipper. (349 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Pours a slightly hazed, lighter-amber color with one finger of creamy, light beige head. Head drops down at a fairly slow pace and leaves some very solid lacing behind. Nice retention as well.

S - Citric and piney hop aromas jump out first with slightly sweet, spicy yeast aromas making themselves known as well. There is a touch of overripe bananas and some other tropical fruit aromas in the background.

T - A nicely balanced flavor with citric hop flavors up front. These lead into some spicy, bready yeast tones as well as some caramel sweetness. Slight belgian funkiness and some tropical fruit flavors (banana and mango, mostly) also make an appearance. Finishes with a piney hop presence which linger with some of the yeasty flavor into the aftertaste.

M - Medium-bodied with a soft carbonation that lends an appealing smoothness to this brew. A bit of resinous quality as well.

D - This brew was a very pleasant surprise. The flavors balance very nicely together, and the 8.3% abv is basically unnoticeable. A solid offering from Flying Dog that I will definitely have to pick up again. (1,103 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

pours golden orange with a 1+ finger head that left spotted lacing

smells of belgian yeast and fruity esters backed up by strong american hops some tropical some a bit grapefruit

taste - most of the begian ipas i have had just didnt have the punch of american hops needed to make them exceptional - but this one does

mouthfeel is a medium body beer with plenty of carbonation it give it some life and be very smooth

drinkability - this beer is 8%+ abv so you may want to pace yourself - i drank this bottle a little fast it was so tasty (540 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Pours a surprisingly light orange amber with a full finger foamy off white head that resists fading and leaves a nice amount of lacing behind. The smell is really good...an aggressive and unique fruity candied-melon-tangerine-apricot and piny hop resin. Visibly effervescent, the mouth feel is smooth and crazy creamy. Full flavored the fruity sweet aspects of the nose are well balanced by the intense hop resin mirrored in the nose. The piny hop and melon characteristics linger nicely. A real easy drinker...the 8.3% ABV is really well integrated. Scoring CRAZY points for CREATIVITY...Highly recommended!!! (610 characters)

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery