Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,607 | Reviews: 1,129
4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a rich copper color with three fingers of of big, airy foam in my tulip glass.

Aroma is big on the spicy Belgian aromatics. Interestingly, the hops take a back seat to the yeast, but I can definitely sense that they are waiting back to assault my palate.

There they are! As soon as it hits the tongue a big rush of American hop flavors are released. Big time citrus with plenty of pine and spiciness. Yeast contributes a little fruit and a lot of peppery spice. Firm yet clean bitterness along with an extra little bit of carbonation really gives a nice drying finish.

A very nice Belgian-styled IPA. In fact, one of the better American ones out there. I'm thoroughly impressed.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Served on tap in a 10oz. snifter at Brixies in Brookfield IL

It poured a clear ruby red with a lingering tan head. Heavy lacing stuck to the sides of the glass after each sip.

The aroma is of a strong grassy hop with a muted Belgian character.

A strong grassy floral hop taste which is much stronger than the bottled version I had the previous day. A malt backbone reminiscent of a medium crystal malt. The Belgian character isn't as prominent as I would like in a Belgian IPA.

It has a very smooth bitterness and a high drinkability.

I preferred this version to the bottled version but I was still kind of disappointed. I was hoping for something bigger and bolder.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

S: Complex, belgian yeast, spices, earthy, coriander? + American hops smelling of oranges and pineapple. Not as in your face w/the hoppiness as a big American IPA.

A: Orange w/excellent lace and crystal clear.

T: Sweet bready malt, berries, earthy, musty, hops are mostly just bittering, but a bit of a floral component in the taste.

M/D: Slick, oily and smooth body. Fairly good balance between belgian and ipa.

Overall: my 3rd of this style. Probably my favorite, but still not my cup of ipa. The other 2 I had were from Great Divide and New Belgium.

a: light copper colored ale topped with a thin layer of carbonation that shows nice retention

s: hugely spicy hop nose on a fruity malt body, the grapefruit hop nose blends with Belgian yeasts and spices to create a surprisingly unique aroma, perhaps a bit unrefined but the Amarillo dry-hopping is very distinct and enticing

m: medium-full body, a touch slick, with a lively and moderate level of carbonation

t: monstrous grapefruit hop profile courtesy of the Amarillo dry-hopping rests on a bed of pale and clean caramel malts, fruity yeast with clovey phenols, perhaps a little heavy-handed but a tasty example of the style

d: easy enough, would have another

pint at Galaxy Hut, Arlington

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

I am becomming a huge fan of these Belgian IPA's. So much flavor, complexity, power, and art... I think I just shead a tear.

Raging Bitch begins with a medium copper-amber tone, nearly sparkling clarity, and some sediment (kinda odd). Being both Belgian and hoppy, I expecte a thick, froathy, and billowing head but instead, it's only slightly above average and with good lacing.

Aromas of vinous Belgian spices and esters hit at the same time as the citrusy American hops- a complete competition from the word 'go'. Peaches, appricots, and pineapples start the ester profile while orange zest, grapefruit, and pine resins represent the hop contengency. Spices of white pepper, curraco, and corriander give a lot zip to nose (like it needed it?!)

Flavors are a direct transition from the nose. In one sip, there's the Belgian berries, grapes, cherries, earthiness, spicy phenols, and woodsy-musty character. In the next- a dry hoppy American crispness with great attenuation and power. These seem to alternate with each sip, allowing new flavors to emerge as the beer warms. Complex to say the least.

Bitter-sweet and honey suckle up front with medium textures and sweet bread maltiness. Fading nicely inot a dry, warming, and evaporative whisper of a beer. The beer has the best of both worlds: dry from Belgian alcohols and attenuation and dry from hoppy crispness.

In the end, the beer favors more American influences than Belgian. I'd prefer more assertion in the foam, head, and carbonation catagories. I'd also like to see more Belgian yeast character with aged cork-like attributes. But the American hops are spot-on with this kind of beer. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Pours with two fingers of white head on top of an copper-amber body with excellent clarity. The foam settles slowly and leaves nice lace.

S - Spicy, pine hop notes are backed by some pineapple. Peppery yeast augments the hop character and is balanced by lightly toasty malt.

T - Strong spicy hops up front with lots of pine character. Peppery yeast flavors compliment the hops in the middle along with toasty malt. Finishes with more pine hop character as well as a bit of pithy grapefruit and caramel malt that is balanced by moderate bitterness. Lingering bready malt and spicy yeast as well as tobacco like hops.

M - Smooth, medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a relatively dry finish.

D - Quite drinkable, it has a nice hop character and crisp dryness. There is some belgian yeast character here, but not a whole lot. Just a bit of peppery character that compliments the pine hops. The dryness is the most Belgian aspect of the beer, which leaves it feeling like a dry IPA with a strong malt flavor. This makes for an enjoyable beer, but the dry toasted malt becomes cloying after a while and I really prefer the bright, tropical character that I get in some other examples of the style.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

This one I had in a 4-ounce pour at Churchkey DC on January 15, 2010. (So, there is no confusion of it being srved at anything but the correct temperture.) It is a translucent, amber colored beer void of any carbonation but very consistent in splotchy lacing.

The nose detects some subtle bubble gum notes; the palate is greeted by some mild hoppiness amid a sweet, brown sugar finish. Nice balance of the hops and the malt. A tad too sweet and a tad too bitter at the end. I honestly can't say that this bitch was raging. Still, I was at Churchkey and my palate was no doubt overwhelmed.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

A: From a medium pour comes a hefty dose of thick and fluffy head that sticks around for several minutes, the color falls between copper and peach, as the head drops it shows lots of spots sticking to the sides of the glass - 4.25, S: The nose is very floral and yeasty, some slight citrus and significant bubblegum, mild sweetness as well - 4.25, T: Solid hop bite on the palate, quite earthy and woody, alcohol is noticeable as are the candied sugars, there is also a considerable amount of grapefruit and possibly some honey, finishes dry - 4.25, M: Medium bodied - 3.50, D: Overall a very drinkable beer, sufficient hops to satisfy the hop head in me mixed nicely with the Belgian characteristics - 4.00

3.91/5  rDev +1%

Raging Bitch pours a really nice coppery amber, very clear with a big off-white creamy head of foam leaving loads of lacing behind. Quite a lovely bitch indeed!

The nose is very hoppy with a somewhat spicy and floral funk with a with a bit of a caramel and a slightly metallic note.

The flavor, definitely improves as it warms with the disparate elements of a Belgian style beer merging with the aggressive hop characteristic of a big American style IPA. There is caramel malt with a burnt sugar component, grapefruit and lemon zest, spicy yeast esters (cloves and black pepper perhaps) combined with a nice hop bitterness in the long dry finish. Alcohol warmth is very noticeable but not boozy. Warming really is the key to this beer I believe.

Mouthfeel is very nice, also improving as it warms, somewhat chewy and full bodied, creamy with an ideal level of carbonation.

Drinkability, I've been on the fence before with Flying Dog beers, but there are some I really do like. Raging Bitch I'm afraid puts me back on the fence with the inclination however to climb on over. Perhaps it's because it's the first of the style I've tried but I could see this growing on me. I'm not quite sure I'd want a second right away but I can easily see the interestng flavor profile getting stuck in my head and perhaps creating a craving for it. It is a very warming beer and definitely interesting on the palate!

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

The beer had a nice amber color, with a generous head that is nice and thick. Left some lacing on the glass, obvious of the IPA roots.

S: Hops and flowers only a little of the malt come through

T: Interesting. It starts out like a nice belgian, but the hops kick in pretty quickly. I'm not sure I like them together. The after-taste is hoppy and lingering of grapefruit.

M: Nice feel in the mouth. The carbonation is just right

D: Not sure if I like this one or not. I had one and would not follow it with another one. I felt like I needed a different beer or a glass of water after drinking it.

Cool experience, I won't be buying this one again anytime soon.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

On-tap 1/27/2010 at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a dark amber color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of floral hops, some Belgian yeast and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts with a harshly strong bite of hops bitterness. Then a caramel and citrus sweetness comes in along with an odd-tasting Belgian yeast breadiness. The malt character is hearty. The hops presence eventually pulls everything together somewhat, but there doesn't seem to be much balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, not the best representation of style, there are definitely better beers in the style that I would pick before this one.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. A confusing bottled date of letters & stuff. . . I think sometime in 2010.

(A)- Pours a clear orange amber color that produced a rather fluffy white head that stayed around for awhile before dissipating. Did leave some thick clumps of lacing behind.

(S)- A spicy yet creamy citrus blend of lemon, lime, peach, pineapple, and orange.

(T)- A bold combination of dry & bitter citrus as found in the smell. Finishes in a lighter corn husk-like sweetness.

(M)- A good carbonation level & balance to it. Not much belgian influence in here, but its still solid. More like a wet-hopped IPA in my opinion.

(D)- A solid IPA that has some good things going for it. Enjoyable hops & citrus. Definitely one of Flying Dogs better offerings.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

S: Bottle poured into a Duvel glass

A: Thick head that has good retention. Dull bronze with hints of red and orange and some obvious carbonation. When held to the light it becomes a fiery bronze, though hazy, with clear carbonation.

S: Powerful smell, mostly of hops. Aromas of pine, bread, and floral scents.

T: Begins with bitter hops and carries way to a bready sweet floral hop finish that continues.

M: Its a heavy beer that does not feel cloying thanks to the heavy carbonation.

D: Though it is heavy and has aggressive hops, this one could be consumed more than one at a time. However, its higher alcohol percentage treads on its drinkability.

Overall: Great beer, without a doubt the best beer Flying Dog has ever done. I'll be the first to admit that I did not enjoy much of their other products. However, this brew has it all in spades. The use of Belgian yeast is certainly present, and unmistakable. However, it does have more hops than the average Belgian IPA, indeed, more aggressive. Thus, it lacks some of the elegance of Belgian IPA's.

Poured into an oversize wine glass.

A: Golden amber with good clarity and sprightly carbonation. A soapy cream cap is big and dense. Head retention is excellent and a nice amount of lace is left behind.

S: Quite fruity initially. As my nose lingered, I picked up a strong dose of pepper, anise and black tea. I was prepped for citrus to come out in full force, and was taken aback when only a hint of it showed up.

T: The spicy pepper and anise bitterness dominates, but is moderate rather than overpowering. The oak pine bite adds an extra distinct flavor. Some toasted biscuit rounds things out. The spicy bitterness lingers long after the last sip. Alcohol adds a touch of warmth.

M: The oily and slick body of this beer has a definite heft to it. Carbonation is a bit high.

D: This is a powerful beer that I wouldn't want more than one of in a sitting. One of the best Flying Dog beers I've had to date.

Cellar-temp bottle poured into DFH signature glass.

A: Raging Bitch pours a little more sedately than a typical belgian IPA, but it has a nice fluffy, white head that slowly dissipates, leaving haphazard lacing. The beer is pale to medium amber.

S: Not citrusy in the nose, more like peach and apricot. Some spiceness, as well. Simple, but different.

T: Yes, peach and apricot seem pretty accurate. I also detect toasty malt and classic spicey Belgian yeast. The finish is bitter and surprisingly dry.

M: Not as highly carbonated as I would expect, but tight and effervescent enough to allow the flavors to pop. Medium-bodied.

D: Good drinkability. I'm glad I put four bottles of Raging Bitch in the sixer I built today.

Many other reviewers are raving about the sharp citrus of this beer, which I simply didn't get. Maybe I've been hitting the HopSlam a little too hard!

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured in a Belgian-style challis.

A - light amber/orange color with a thick head that settles into a fine collar; nice lacing as it drains

S - strong pungent American hop aroma (Amarillo?) with yeasty esters in the background, the malt is totally lost

T - strong American hop flavors with a modest bitterness on the finish; yeasty esters are strong but still overpowered by the hop; malt is present but is overwhelmed

M - medium to light body, moderate carbonation

D - Overall this is a decent beer, but I don't think I'll be having another. The hops used are varieties that I'm not extremely found of. That said, it's decent, but not outstanding.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden clear body with a nice 2 finger head, nice lacing down the glass.

Smell: Grapefruit and other citrus smells. Sweet smell.

Taste: Hops! Citrus, spicy, floral. Very nice taste, not getting too much of the belgian style though

Drinkability: For 8% this goes down easy. Would enjoy getting a 6pack of this stuff.

Side Notes: I wish there was more to the belgian style though. This is my first American made Belgian IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

I'm working my way quickly through a six pack of this stuff, and it's my favorite new discovery. It definitely emphasizes hops-- a nice combination of dusty, resiny, citrusy, and tropical hop flavors-- but it has plenty of light caramelly malt, warm alcohol, and funky yeast flavors to balance it out. The aftertaste is dry and bitter and still reminiscent of wonderful hops. This is scarily drinkable for an 8.3% beer.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a clear amber color with a two inch light tan head. There is excellent head retention and a bit of lacing.

The aroma is fantastic. There's a great citrusy hop profile with a touch of spice. There's a rye like character as well.

The taste is nice. There's a nice citrusy hop with a bit of a rye like finish. It's interesting and fairly unique.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fine bubbled carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. The flavor profile is interesting and unique making for a really enjoyable experience that keeps bringing me back for more. The ABV is relatively high but well incorporated and easily managed. It's just a solid beer.

4.87/5  rDev +25.8%

I love the hops in this stuff. Very floral and strong citrus flavors with the bitterness of good grapefruit. For 8.3% ABV, this is a very drinkable hi-abv beer. I didn't realize the strength at first.

The belgian characteristics of this IPA make for a nice soft mouthfeel. I know it's labeled "Belgian-style IPA", but I'm calling it an IPA because the hops clearly dominate this brew.

I've had more IPAs than I can count and I consider the IPA my preferred style. So it's saying a lot that I put this in my top-5 IPAs of all time!

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Flying Dog Raging Bitch poured amber, with a thick pillowy head that left sticky lace on the glass. The color was a tad light, but this was otherwise a very good-looking ale.

Surprisingly citric aroma popped during the pour and was sustained throughout. The smell was awesome. The flavor was also very good, with a great balance of sweet caramel and citric hops. The feel was bitter and aggressive--it shredded the mouth. The high alcohol content snuck up and provided a warm finish to the remarkably easy bitter drink.

I don't get Belgian from Raging Bitch. it's wonderfully citric, aggressive, and bitter. It stacks up well against most American Double IPAs. To me, that's a very good thing and was a pleasant joyful surprise.

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: Perfection. Pours completely clear with a thick pillowy head that sticks around for awhile. Great carbonation level along with a perfect deep copper color. Exactly what an IPA should look like.

S: Wow, it just leaps out of the glass. There is a decent amount of Belgian funk there, with a flowery herbal note (chamomile?), and slightly citric and flower hop aromas as well.

T: Orange citrus elements are matched equally with the flavors imparted by the Belgian yeast. There is a nice undercurrent of herbal, resinous hop flavors as well, and maybe some subtle tropical fruit elements. I detected a little alkalinity and there was a bit of dry tongue bite on the finish at times. It's not quite as perfect integration of flavors as I would have liked, but I feel that way about most Belgian IPAs as the flavors don't necessarily meld well.

M: Zippy up front with some carbonation bite. Good body -- thick, a bit chewy, supports the flavors nicely.

D: It hides the 8% well with a big juicy flavor profile and a dry, sharp finish. The alkalinity tired my tongue out after most of a bottle, however. I've never been a huge Flying Dog fan, but this is a solid beer for the style - it's just not a very good style, in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a clear amber color with a great, frothy white head that retains very well. Terrific lacing. Smells very fruity. Aromas of cantaloupe, papaya, pineapples, and that classic "belgian yeast smell" as well as a hint of piny resin. Lots going on on the nose. Taste is more ipa pronounced up front with a lingering aftertaste of the belgian yeast, spicy, coriander & banana flavors interlocked with a drying bitterness. Citrusy and candy sugars flavors, very resiny...not as nuanced as a lot of the actual belgian interpretations. More "in your face." Mediumed bodied, good carbonation, slightly oily, astringent finish. I could relish in a couple of these but no further. I'm usually not a big fan of Flying Dog brews but, all in all, a good american interpretation of a belgian interpretation. ;)

3.62/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very golden, topped with a short white head... some of that can be contributed to the bottle being rather cold.

S + T: Citrus-zest, fruitiness, and floral notes on the nose with a flavour very similar, with notable fruity esters as a result of the yeast strain. Grapefruit and pineapple together, really. Rather pungent, with plenty of hop bitterness left behind on the palate well after finish.

M + D: A bit of an oiliness almost becoming a bit of a sticky feel. While it is a decent brew, I find it to be perhaps a little too intense on the palate, and not showcasing some of the more subtle nuances that could make it fabulous. That said, it's still a worthy selection for an odd evening - I simply wouldn't place it among my top choices.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

I poured this bitch into a pint glass to an ample off white head. It is amber in color almost leaning toward copper. Spicy hops are all over the nose. There is also a modest malt presence. The taste is mostly hops. The hop taste is spicy and floral. There is some masked malt flavor, but the taste is dominated by the hops. I get grapefruit on the finish. It is a very good beer. I would drink again.

Cheers!