Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
CJfromPhilly

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours from the 12 oz bottle an orangish-coppery color with a substantial slightly off-white head. Carbonation is light and soft, only a few bubbles rising in the glass. Aroma is quite sweet & fruity, must be the influence of the Belgian yeast. Not quite what one would expect from an IPA. 1st sip brings a potent, resiny piney blast of hops that is a 180 degree u-turn from the aroma. There is a slight hint of dry fruitiness on the swallow but it is quickly subdued by those hops. The alcohol makes it's presence know as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is thick and sparkly! The drinkability is good, although this doesn't quite qualify as a session beer, IMHO. Overall, a very nice melding of styles! It wouldn't surprise me to see more brewers try their hand at their own version of a Belgian IPA soon.

11-28-2010 00:30:20 | More by CJfromPhilly
withliterature

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a bright, clear amber color with a medium white head that reduces pretty rapidly to a thin lace. This beer is CLEAR, nothing like a cloudy Belgian in appearance. Might have liked to see it cloudier, but then again this is a beautiful color and isn't advertised as a Belgian.

You can definitely smell some citrus, and I find this smelling more like that floral Belgian Trippel than like an IPA. Bright, fruity, but strong with hops. There's another fruit smell that I'm struggling to identify; I keep wanting to say grapefruit, but there's another one in there! Nice complicated scent.

The flavour really is a cross between a Belgian and an IPA. You get the IPA bitterness and the Belgian complexity, musk, and floral taste/smell.

Pretty average mouthfeel, erring on the thinner IPA side. A little sticky perhaps, but that's to be expected with an IPA.

A good drink for sure. Strong but very balanced. I liked this quite a lot. Probably couldn't drink more than two in a night; I'd buy this again as part of a mixed 6-pack.

11-27-2010 00:18:30 | More by withliterature
SamN

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Perfectly amber color, clear, moderate carbonation and great sticky almost-white lace, and true to Belgian IPA style, sticks around forever. Great colors. Smells of honey, pears, floral hops and sweet bitterness. Great smells, very rich and lots going on with an emphasis on light floral scents. Taste is hoppy; starts with alpha oil introduction, moves to balanced hops/malt interplay with fruit dominance and finishes on a very subdued hop note that does not leave an unpleasantness or puckering bitterness. Feels pretty good, medium body with a firm character.

I really liked this beer, and I like Belgian IPA's more and more the more I experience the style. Strength and a highly hoppy taste mars the drinkability a bit. But still, a very good beer from Flying Dog.

11-25-2010 21:07:30 | More by SamN
largadeer

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%

The body is a burnished amber, clear and bright, filtered to death for a Belgian IPA. Smells like bubblegum, Pepto-Bismol, sweet pale malt, grandma's spice rack and perhaps a touch of fruity hops. The palate has a stronger hop presence, juicy and tropical with grapefruit undertones. Whatever yeast strain they're using for this beer is awful, it's heavy on the bubblegum and medicinal flavors, while finishing with a phenolic kick that almost overwhelms the bittering hops. This isn't outright awful, but it's not great; it's hard for me to get past the cloying yeast profile.

11-23-2010 03:14:00 | More by largadeer
bierguru

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%

A -
clearish amber mild carbonation thick white head

S -
citrus along with some tropical notes mostly hops yeast

T -
citurs rinds guava and hops along with yeast

M -
thickish for a ipa dry mostly overly dry

D -
i fairly enjoyed it would have again but not my favorite

11-22-2010 04:19:45 | More by bierguru
FosterJM

3.88/5  rDev 0%

64th review on BA
bottle to pint

On the suggestion from my brother in law to have this one.

App- Its a nice mixture of ambers in the glass, between a dark and light from a light honey to a dark caramel amber. Head wasnt very prevalant but was still there.

Smell- I am picking up quite a few citrus notes on this with a few being tropical. The belgian yeast is up-front. I like the smell. Very decent.

Taste- It's quite new to me the marriages of beglian yeast and the hoppy american IPA. The jury is still out for me on these brews. This however was very tasty.

Mouth- Not too bitter and nicely balanced with a lively carbonation level.

Drink- A good marriage here and I am sure that over time I will come to appreciate the mixture and blending of styles. Until then, I am sure my rating is fair based upon that.

11-21-2010 18:27:25 | More by FosterJM
tone77

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, some hops. Taste is of hops, somewhat sweet, a bit of yeast, not overpoweringly bitter. Feels medium bodied and bitter in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a pretty good brew.

11-21-2010 16:10:22 | More by tone77
jhammel01

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a amber - Honey color, nice and clear. Nice egg shell white, fluffy head with decent retention.

Spicy, citrusy hop scent with some fruity belgian yeast. Pretty complex...I cant pick it all out!

Taste is just as complex as the scent. Heavy hop character. Again, citrus spice, earthy and grainy. The Belgian yeast blends in perfectly. Some slight biscuity malt lingers in the back ground

Great mouthfeel. Medium bodied, Bubbly on the tongue. Well done!

All around good beer. My 1st belgian IPA and to me, its something new. Who would of thought this would work and be so good! I'm looking forward to other variations of the style.

11-20-2010 02:46:01 | More by jhammel01
dubinsky

Poured from bottle into my bruges snifter.

A. Pours a hazy copper orange with amber highlights. Thick, fluffy, eggshell head amazing retention and lacing. This one would not release of the side of the glass.

S. Nice hoppy aroma, with citrus, mango and passion fruit. The Belgian yeast is definately noticeable.

T. Definitely a Belgian. A great balance between the unique flavor of Belgian yeast and a hoppy American IPA. Nice bitterness with a smooth malt finish.

M. Medium body with nice carbonation. Nice hop bitterness thats not overbearing. At over 8% ABV, there is a slight warming effect, but its not unpleasant..

D. This is a great beer thats blurs the lines between a great Belgian ale and an American IPA. I think there is a place for this beer in my fridge anytime. I will drink this any day.

11-19-2010 04:45:55 | More by dubinsky
mbusster88

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours rather clear orange/amber color. Nice thick head stick around and leaves some good lacing. A fair amount of carbonation is noticeable.

S: Astringent smell with floral notes and some pine as well. Very nice and clean smell, great hop characters!

T/M: Really like the right away hop bite, that mellows out with some bready characteristics. It then finished with some dry hop bitterness. Very nice combination of styles to make this one hoppy but not unbearable for the average drinker. Love the clean feeling on the palate and the hop characters are really nice. Great fresh taste to this beer!

D: Would drink this just about any time. Really liked this one just as an end to the day. Great by itself and worth a try. Once again love the hop characters here that really make this beer stand out!

11-18-2010 03:40:50 | More by mbusster88
callmeclemens

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Drank from the Bottle, poured into a glass at Twelve Steps down in philly.

Smells of floral hops with a hint of yeast and alchohal.

States remotley the same, nice hoppy front with a punch of yeast towards the end. First Belgian Style I've ever had to be honest.

11-15-2010 18:38:11 | More by callmeclemens
grssmnperez

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Served @ 41.6 degrees straight from the wine cooler. Looked great smelled good with rich pungent aroma of hops. Sweet flavor but comes on strong with the hops with a semi- bitter finish. Overall, decent beer, a litle hard to find but it is hard to drink.

11-15-2010 05:20:47 | More by grssmnperez
anotherpg

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

I was underwhelmed. It looked great -- orange and cloudy, just the way I like my Belgians. But. It. Was. So. Hard. To. Drink.

Really, I don't mind a sweet Triple, but a sweet IPA? My mouth didn't know what to make of tasting it against other pure IPAs. Mostly, I'm a Flying Dog fan and I'm a 8+ ABV fan. Why didn't this beer work? It was too much effort to enjoy. I'll stick with either a Belgian or an IPA. This marriage is, as they say, a bitch.

11-14-2010 23:07:01 | More by anotherpg
verge

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance - Deep orange-ish ruby color. Very nice inch white head and bubbles bursting everywhere in the rest of the glass. Love this color when I pour a beer.

Smell - Fruity hops. Sometimes you smell musty alcohol, sometimes you smell coffee, but this was delicious sweet hops. I knew I would like it as soon as I smelled it.

Taste - Belgian IPA indeed! I feel like the name says it all. The first taste you get is American-style IPA hops, but in less than a moment you taste that Belgian yeast. WOW! What a combination! I love Belgian beers, but usually stray from them cause they don't have that bitter aftertaste that hooks me. Until now! This is a superb tasting brew. Just lovely.

Mouthfeel - The taste slammed me so much I didn't even think about the mouthfeel...until later. I drank this slowly while attempting to record vocals for a new song, and I noticed how syrupy my mouth was! Nice and thick feeling, you definitely feel like you are drinking something with substance.

Drinkability - Excellent. I finished it 10 minutes ago and that beautiful aftertaste is still there. The Belgian sweetness smooths out the hops just enough to make this heaven in a bottle. My first drink in this style...I'm an instant fan.

This is an instant classic for me. Top 10 ever, possibly top 5. TRY THIS!

11-12-2010 02:52:42 | More by verge
Thorpe429

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap from the home kegerator. Nothing like that. Poured many, many times into a Raging Bitch goblet obtained during a Rustico glassware giveaway.

Pours a moderate golden color with quite a bit of haze and a nice white head along with oodles of sticky lacing. The nose brings some fresh Belgian yeast with a bit of white pepper and spice. Strong floral hops mix in well. The taste is a bit spicy with mild fruit and a decent amount of bitterness, though not too much. Feel is a medium body with good carbonation. Drinks quite well and is a really nice example of the style.

11-11-2010 04:06:53 | More by Thorpe429
BMoldy

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours into my snifter a nice deep amber-orange, albeit still relatively clear. The head is full, soft and white, and leaves excellent lacing all the way to the bottom. I drank this beer over the course of maybe half an hour and the head was very responsive to my occasional swirls, which kept it around for quite a while. The smell is beautiful and righteously hoppy, as it should be. Moreover, it really exudes the fruitiness of the hops themselves, which is a very cool characteristic. The 8.3% ABV is also slightly noticeable, although not excessive or displeasing. Taking a sip, the flavors spread themselves out very nicely on the palate: malted barley in the front, juicy hops in the back. Indeed, the taste greatly mirrors the aroma. The mouthfeel is robust yet smooth- not too carbonated or excessively alcoholic. The beer finishes very dry.

I'll admit that I initially scoffed at the idea of a "Belgian-style IPA" (i.e. "WTH kind of marketing ploy is this?"), thinking that it was just an excuse to put the "Belgian" label on something and up the alcohol content. While I'm still not sure if I'm convinced that this is a completely unique sub style, I AM convinced of its deliciousness. I'd hate to call myself a "hop head", but this beer certainly satisfies my (probably too substantial) hop cravings. Though I was probably too mesmerized by the hops to notice many other flavors, I still find this beer to be remarkably comprehensive in taste. It is well-hopped without being too bitter to displease or exclude the other ingredients. Its high ABV is very well hidden, and therefore makes it very sessionable- provided the session doesn't last too long! For any fan of IPAs, I highly suggest this beer.

11-10-2010 18:14:23 | More by BMoldy
JerzDevl2000

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up in Totowa after not having any of the Flying Dog beers for a very long time. This was a bit of a novelty when it was first sold in my neck of the woods and all I remembered was that all of the beers from these guys tasted the same, a la Saranac. It was with this in mind that I gave this a shot since it was their 20th Anniversary offering and I had never had a Belgian IPA before. Sure enough, I'm now eating my words regarding these guys but seeing how great this beer was, I'm more than happy to do that!

Great pour to this - a radiant bright almond hue with a nice head and some lacing as I worked my way down sip by sip. The carbonation was perfect and this managed to balance the metallic bitter hops with the sourness of a Belgian beer. The resin in the beer tied the strengh in the front to the aftertaste that could easily have been mistaken from an overseas beer. This had a lot of funk to it but in a good way!

It also packs quite a punch, so much so that the alcohol is the reason why I couldn't down more than one or two in a sitting. I'm confident that there are other beers that are at the forefront of this style but to say that this took me by surprise is an understatement. To warm up on a nice fall night, I'm gonna grab another one of these again and enjoy the marriage between the citrus and plum like flavors that this beer has wonderfully enjoined. Without a doubt one of the best new brews of the year!

11-10-2010 02:12:10 | More by JerzDevl2000
LuthersMug

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

There is a lot to like about this beer.

A - Deep, rich, orange-brown color with a nice head. Nice lacing. Label has a wild design and colorful description, "Two inflammatory words...one wild drink. Nectar imprisoned in a bottle. Let it out. It is cruel to keep a wild animal locked up. Uncap it. Release it...stand back! Wallow in its golden glow in a glass beneath a white foaming head. Remember, enjoying a RAGING BITCH, unleashed, untamed, unbridled - and in heat - is pure GONZO!! It has taken 20 years to get from there to here. Enjoy!"

S - Intense wave of sweet nectar.

T - Nice balance of sweet nectar flavor up front and just the right amount of hoppy finish.

M - Good carbonation.

D - Very refreshing.

11-09-2010 06:17:37 | More by LuthersMug
adam42381

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours an opaque caramel color with orange highlights and a 1 finger foamy white head. Nice lacing featuring very fine bubbles.

Smell: Very hoppy aroma with hints of spices, banana and Belgian yeast. The hops are mostly bitter citrus and pine.

Taste: Bitter citrus up front followed by Belgian yeast, black pepper and spices in the middle ending with grapefruit rind and mild phenols at the finish. Aftertaste is long-lasting and features bitter grapefruit with a hint of aspirin. This is a bitter, hoppy beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Good drinkability. The high ABV could be an issue with drinking multiples.

Overall: Very good beer overall. It may be a bit bitter for some, but I enjoyed it. Recommended for the hopheads out there.

11-08-2010 22:21:51 | More by adam42381
jabergess

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I wasn't expecting this at all, but in a very good way. The smell is over the top hops. I started getting really excited after smelling this beer. It pours a nice copperish brown color with a tight compact head. So the first taste is absolute IPA heaven. Heavy grapefruit, pine and spice flavors. The malt backbone supports the hops perfectly but still stays behind the scene. If you gave me this and I didn't know what it was I would just say it was a fabulous American IPA. Though at 8.3% its a little high for a typical IPA. I don't taste the alcohol though. Give this one a shot, it is excellent.

11-07-2010 21:58:51 | More by jabergess
russwbeck

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Very clear golden amber color with little head that doesn't stay for long. Nice lacing.

S: More Belgian on the nose than I expected. Hoppiness underneath, but not forgotten.

T: Again, more Belgian than IPA, which is good for me. Sometimes I think the IPA overtakes the Belgian taste more than it should.

MF: This drink is so light, it really surprises me it has such a good taste.

D: Extremely high. Light, tastes great, can't go wrong here.

11-07-2010 00:45:16 | More by russwbeck
JohnnyChicago

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A: Amber body with with a nice two-finger white head.

S: Smells like a Belgian IPA: hops and funk.

T: Taste actually changes from sip to sip; first you taste IPA (piney hops and citrus), then you taste a Belgian (funk and bubblegum). the flavours never really mix.

D: Drinkable, but the alcohol is present. A little unbalanced.

Overall: I might be biased, because I'm not crazy about the style, but this one didn't blow me away. Its a good beer, no doubt, but it just seemed like the flavours were fighting for the spotlight instead of mixing. I wouldn't necessarily seek it out, but I certainly wouldn't pass it up either.

11-05-2010 18:05:54 | More by JohnnyChicago
champ103

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

A: This has a really stunning clarity. Bright and vibrant orange/red color. A two finger rocky white head forms with excellent retention. Plenty of sticky lace. Looks awesome.
S: Big floral and grassy hops up front. Spicy yeast with some bread and biscuit. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with a big floral and grassy hop flavor. A spicy yeast flavor that lingers on forever, which I really like. Some bread and biscuit as well. Tons of hops but really well balanced.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Clean, crisp, and smooth. Really easy to drink. I put back a tall pour, and could have easily gone back for more. The alcohol is really well hidden.

I don't see what makes this a Belgian IPA. It is American through and through. It is very enjoyable however. What ever it is called, this is an excellent beer that is well balanced and nuanced. Highly recommended.

11-05-2010 04:14:17 | More by champ103
kbnooshay

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

a. Pours a super clear orange golden color with some carbonation rising to the top.The frothy off white head is about 2 fingers width high.

s. Aroma is Belgian to the max with all the typical Belgian spice character. Theres some nice hop presence and sweetness.

t. In the taste department the Belgian yeast really stands in the front. Some nice caramel malt flavor balances out the hop bite.

mf/d. Feel is moderate but slightly creamy with just enough carbonation. Very drinkable considering the abv.

I am usually not a big fan of the Belgian IPAs. The Belgian spice and strong hops don't always work. But this does.

11-04-2010 23:51:22 | More by kbnooshay
BigMike

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Pale orange with a pure white fluffy 1 finger head.

S: I definitely get the Belgian part. The spicey Belgian yeast. And I definitely get the ipa part. Lots of tropical goodness with a touch of peach.

T: Less hops on the tongue then the nose. Still get the tropicalness and lots of Belgian character. Pretty good mixture of the two styles.

M: Light bodied and super carbonated. Finishes with a huge amount of bitterness.

Overall: I've been wanting to try this one for while but didn't want a whole sixer. Finally found it as a single and jumped on it. I'm still not completely sold on the style. I mean it's not bad beer but it's nothing earth shattering.

11-04-2010 22:36:05 | More by BigMike