Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at Brass Rail Deli on 4/18/11.

A - Clear gold-toned copper orange liquid with a finger's worth of sturdy white foam on top and plenty of active carbonation bubbles racing throughout the body. Head retained quite well and deposited lots of sticky lace around the glass.

S - Bright citric hops and spicy Belgian yeast combine nicely here, giving the aroma a bold hop character but with a spicy flair suggesting notes of pepper and clove. Malt character is grainy, although the hops and yeast are really at the forefront here.

T - I was anticipating this to be more on the Belgian side of the spectrum, but you know what? Raging Bitch boasts a decisively hoppy flavor that is bursting with citrus fruit and, to a lesser degree, floral notes. The yeast adds a pleasant spicy bite to counter the assertive hop bill in the backend, then trails off a bit to finish with a grainy malt character.

M - Medium bodied with brisk carbonation and a light syrupy texture with some residul oiliness from the hops. Finishes with moderate bitterness some spiciness on the palate.

D - I enjoyed this way more than I'd hoped. Raging Bitch is easily one of the better Belgian IPAs I've had thus far. Great stuff!

ffejherb, Apr 19, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Interesting Belgian style IPA, kind of the best of both worlds. My 2 favorite types of beers rolled into one. At first I wasn't sure about this one but I find myself going back to it time and time again.
The appearance is a lovely golden copper with a good 2 fingers of foam. Nice even lacing along the sides of my Duvel tulip.
The smell is outstanding, very inviting somewhat pungeant floral and fermentation that you get with those awesome belgians, it has that.
The taste is very unique and enjoyable, sort of that belgian malt/yeast thing at the front end, then an instant bitter hoppiness as it washer down the back side. very nice!
Feels somewhat heavy, sweet but tasty.
One of my favorites, probably not a good summer beer but in this crappy Minnesota weather just a couple of these at over 8%abv and you become warm very quickly!

homersimpson67, Apr 19, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance - Copper color with a thin layer of head.

Smell - The hop smell is fantastic from the time I opened the bottle.

Taste - The hops went away under the taste of a variety of spices.

Mouthfeel - Ligth carbonation tickled the tongue

Overall - Very good and highly enjoyable. I have yet to be disappointed from a Flying Dog brew as of yet!

jthomp000, Apr 18, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

Flying Dog Raging Bitch is more of a slightly hoppy Belgian than a Belgian IPA. The spiciness is kinda overpowering.

A: Amber orange colour and 4 mm head that fades to decent lacing. 4

S: Hoppiness with Belgian yeast. 4

T: There is a slight hoppiness but mostly spice flavours. The clove flavour becomes even stronger as it swishes around your mouth. 4

M: Thick and foamy.

O: This is a nice beer, but I find the spices a little overpowering.

vandemonian, Apr 18, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a NB globe, clear copper. Smooth pour nets a two finger white head that settles slowly into a nice layer and leaves spotty lacing on the glass.

Tangerine, other citrus and pine backing from the hops. Yeast adds notes of clove, white pepper and orange peel. A little funky and sweet, taffy come to mind.

Malt profile is a little thin and grainy but allows the spices and yeast to shine through before the hops arrive. Cloves, tangerine peel, and some banana all surface before a cleansing bitter finish supplied by piney and lightly citrus hops. The after taste is lingering bitterness and slightly tart.

Bright and stinging carbonation, perhaps a little overdone. Malt bill makes this seem slightly thin on the body through out the drink and alcohol rears it's head in a few spots. I wish this could finish a bit more bitter and dry and less fruity and tart.

Well this was quite a nice introduction to the style in my opinion witbeer Belgian spices with IPA bitterness and hops make for a very refreshing combination. I think I would prefer this over a saison or witbeer in the summer, just so I could get my hop kick. Filtration helped this beer achieve great bold flavor but lacks in the mouthfeel a bit.

rawfish, Apr 12, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Pours a golden orange w/ a off white two finger head that lingers a few minutes. Decent, but not great carbonation. Good lacing on the glass

S- I get a lot of orange, pineapple, and some grapefruit, w/ a touch of malt and hops thrown in. The sweet smell is definitely in the forefront here. It's a nice smelling beer... almost too nice.

T- Hmm.. Interesting. This is unlike any IPA I've had. Very unique, in a good way. I don't get much bitterness except in the aftertaste. The fruit and malt take most of the taste here. Very smooth, and very drinkable. All the smells make their presence known here except the pineapple. Very sweet beer, but not overly so. Nice.

M- Very smooth and sweet. A little on the light side feel-wise. Goes down very easily. I'd never guess this is a 8.3% beer. I'd guess 6-7%. The feel definitely has a beginning, middle and end, and all the flavors are very well balanced.

O- This isn't my favorite IPA/DIPA, but it's a good one. It's a local brewery for me too, so I'm glad I tried this one. Very economical for a six pack of this beer. I'll definitely pick it up and enjoy it again.

jayhawk73, Apr 11, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice Two Finger creamy white head, Orange (About an 11 on SRM Chart), Awesome lacing

Nose: Massive Tangerine, Earthy (like mary jane to be honest, only not the skunky part. Oddly a really nice thing. No doubt the belgian yeast playing it's role here.), Spice, Honey, Pine, Sage, Light Roast, Yeasty, Woody

Taste: Citrus, Light Roast, Earthy, Creamy, Biscuity, Yeasty, Wood, Honey, Nutmeg, Nice Hop Bite, Full mouth feel, Nice balance

Final Thoughts: Wow. This is an amazing beer. It hits everything just right. I can't really say much more then Flying Dog did an amazing belgian style IPA. It's like a DFH 60 Min IPA meets Belgian Yeast and they did it perfectly. I saw the brothers weren't impressed, and Im suprised but everyone has different tastes/conditions. One of my favorites now.

Food Pairing: Spicy Foods, Pork, Chicken, Beef, Fish, Green Vegetables, Medium Cheeses (goat cheese, aged chedder), Tofu, Soy Products, Potatoes, Pasta.

bpw28, Apr 11, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured a medium-dark amber, with some haze. A solid off-white head has good retention and left lacing to the bottom of the glass.

Complex aroma of dominant citrusy hops, with some earthy and floral thrown in. A low piney, woody hop aroma is also evident. A low peppery yeast character was noticeable, but subtle.

A complex hop flavor and bitterness dominates this beer. A spicy, citrusy, floral hop flavor, with a bitterness that takes over mid-swallow and lingers into the finish. The Belgian yeast character is noticeable throughout, mostly as peppery and clove phenolics, with some pear-like ester thrown in for good measure. There is a lightly toasty malt sweetness in support of the hops, but the malt remains in the background.

Medium body, with a smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel until the dry, hoppy finish takes over. Medium-high carbonation works well in this beer.

Overall, a bold example of an emerging style. Very good, but not my favorite example of the style. If you like this, try Flying Fish Exit 4 (one of my favorites).

CASK1, Apr 11, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is of a deeper golden color ... very nice.

As far as smell, I get the belgian yeast first and then some decent hop aroma. I'm not the greatest fan of the belgian style but then a juicy fruity nose.

Again the taste mirrors the smell but the hops come quickly after the belgian yeast.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but respectable.

Overall the beer is just above average for me.

vtblackdog, Apr 10, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Picked up a bottle of this for an attempt at it. I haven't had the best of luck with Flying Dog, but I'll give it a shot. Review is from notes taken on 4/9/2011 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a pretty solid orange/coppery color and starts with a big 2 and 1/2 finger white creamy head with decent retention; body is very clear and shows moderately strong carbonation; nice big pillow swaths of lacing form on the sides of the glass as the head slowly dwindles to a full, but very uneven cap with a really thick merengue-like ring around the surface.

Smell: Quite nice -- strong Belgian yeastiness with a bit of banana and spiciness, like clove; toasty graininess and a touch of bitter hop with a bit of a citric tinge to it. Nose is quite strong and robust.

Taste: Alright, I may become a believer after this one -- lots of the Belgian yeastiness right up front and it's got a hint of banana esters to it, and plenty of the Belgian spiciness that is definitely a bit peppery; a fair amount of hoppiness resides in this one as well, and it's definitely lemony and citric in nature. Definitely heavier on the Belgian side of things, but I'm OK with that since there are so many other great IPAs that it's pretty refreshing. Just a touch of alcohol in the back, but at over 8%, not to be unexpected.

Mouthfeel: body is between light and medium, just about dead center, I would say; carbonation is potent, but comes across as creamy in the body; a moderately thick and sticky coating is left all over the palate; belly is left a touch warm from the acidity and ABV, but pretty enjoyable overall.

Overall: This is a solid beer and well worth picking up. I'm kind of bummed now that I waited this long to try it, as it doesn't disappoint. Great nose, solid flavors, enjoyable mouthfeel, this beer's got just about everything going for it.

bamadog, Apr 10, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a pint glass

A- Poured a nice copper/amber color and produced almost two finger width of foamy white head.

S- The aroma was quite impressive. Initially sweet smelling but the citrus and floral hop aroma quickly took over. There were some mild hints of clove due to the yeast strain.

T- Great flavor in my opinion. It had a lot of citrus notes. The finish was impressive as well leaving a lingering hops flavor on the back of your tongue.

M- Great mouth feel. Very full bodied beer! Nice carbonation for the style.

O- Great beer IMO. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a great IPA. This is one of the better beers produced by Flying Dog.

Pecafaced, Apr 09, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured In: Snifter
Purchased At: Brennans Market

Appearance: The pour is a very clear amber and bronze orange color with a finger of head. The head retention is moderate, with that last layer sticking around for a few minutes forming a creamy, dense layer on top. A good amount of lace covers the side of the glass, and the beer is quite effervescent.

Smell: The nose on this is lovely, one of the best for a Belgian IPA in my experience. Some earthy and citrus hops are definitely to be found, along with some nice spice from the yeast. Some grainy aromas come out from the malt profile.

Taste: The tasting starts out mildy sweet with some spice notes like clove and pepper. The bitterness starts to come in, as well as the remaining hop profile which brings some tangerine and grapefruit flavor. A nice, light pale malt sits in the background throughout the tasting upholding the beer. This beer is actually carrying out the IPA aspect of the name, with the hops getting put in the front seat along with the Belgian qualities.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and the carbonation is rather aggressive. For me, letting it sit for thirty minutes made it near perfect.

Ek0nomik, Apr 08, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +24%

I picked this one up at my local store based on what I had read here on BA and just the novelty of the name in general.

Poured a nice orangish amber color with a bit of off-white head on it. Smell was full of hops with some citrus notes and yeast as well. Taste was pretty incredible. Very balanced medium bodied beer. Good citrus malt flavor. Not quite as hoppy as I expected. All in all, I loved this beer. The name and label are creative and appealing and the taste really backed it up. Hope to pick this up again soon.

richkrull, Apr 07, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Orangey. both in color and in flavor. Not like orange life savers, but more of an orange zest kind of flavor. Pretty strong too, so that's a good thing. This was a nice surprise. I actually got it because of the silly name, but I liked it too. So that's a good thing.

TheSignPost, Apr 06, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Well, I had no idea that the beer I had a pint of last week had such a profane name! The bartender just said it was "Flying Dog's Belgian IPA"--which was good enough for me to order a pint. I wonder if he felt embarrassed calling it by its name, and I wonder how many stores would hesitate putting this on its shelves for the same reason. I just don't see the wisdom in Flying Dog giving it such a controversial title. Surely something else could just as effectively convey something about this beer's intensity.

THE BODY of this one is honey-colored and/or pale bronze. It is clear with no sediment at the bottom, and nice, thick white foam + lacing at the top.

THE SMELL is good, though it just smells like a good IPA to me and had nothing "Belgian" per se. Overall, it is sweet and floral with aromas of hops and strawberry.

THE TASTE is pretty interesting and I could instantly tell why they would call this a "Belgian-Style IPA": the Belgian yeast is intense! In fact it is the first taste to hit you, followed by sweet and then bitter hops. It has a lingering sourness that competes with the Belgian yeast danceing all over the mouth from the first sip. I would say that this tastes like a trippel and a big American IPA mixed together. Very creative stuff.

THE FEEL is pretty nice with an overall dryness yet a slightly wet, snappy finish. It has a medium-light consistency to it. It is very alcoholic but not overwhelming.

CONCLUSION: A very creative, well-made beer. Although I do agree with another reviewer who felt this was nothing more than an American double/imperial IPA which used Belgian yeast. Do the Belgians really like their beers this hoppy? I kinda doubt it. This is American to the core. I suppose Flying Dog simply used "Belgian" in the title for lack of a better word. Regardless, it's interesting and worth trying if you like IPA's or trippels.

MadeInOregon, Apr 05, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

I'm learning that I tend to rate beers I enjoy high, but then again, it's cuz I enjoyed it. This was a surprise. Being such a high ABV, I went in thinking it would be out of my league. The pour was near beautiful, with a bright, rich orange, with a frothy, albeit short lived, head. The taste was very nice. The alcohol was subtle, even at 8.3. It was a well balanced and somewhat complex beer, with less hop-kick that I would expect in an IPA. That's fine by me, cuz I'm not a real hop-head.

In any event, a pleasant surprise, one in which I won't be caught off guard again. More to come.

harveystarr, Apr 05, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

A- Bottle to a pt. It pours a caramel amber color. Not a huge head.

S- Citrusy and yeasty, not much in the way of hops.

T- Either complex hops or just a fruity/spicey yeasts. Biscuity malt on the back.

M- Med bodied and good carbonation

D- Med. When looking for IPA this isn't it. But it's interesting and has great flavor inspired by a belgian style.

LittleOtts, Apr 04, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

i didn't think this was that strong now that i look at the information. pour is orange clear with a small head that doesn't look belgian at all. its has a carbonation when agitated. its american in feel though. nose of pine bark, yeasty banana hints, and orange. palate is yeasty and sweet with a earthy huskiness. this makes the beer have one dimension and no broadening ester qualities. i don't like the grain used here. not poorly made but somewhat heavy handed ingredients. not as light as a belgian IPA should feel.

rtepiak, Apr 04, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

I've had this on tap, from a bottle and from a hand pumped cask. All 3 were great, I think that when it came from the cask it was at it's beat though. This beer is a yellow hazy copper color with a fluffy thick head that won't quit. Te aromas of Belgian yeast are beautifully mixed with citrusy and piney hops. The flavors are a delightfully hoppy experience that dingles your tongue. This beer rocks!

Knapp85, Apr 02, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Darker than American IPAs. Has a nice orange glow to it. Small head that quickly dissipates. Looks like it sticks.

Smell: Smells like hops, some malts and maybe some fruity esters.

Taste: Good hop flavors with a sweet aftertaste from a mix of malts and yeast. I could have used a bit more bitterness though.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty good beer. The ABVs are pretty hidden in this beer btw.

thatlongname, Apr 01, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

APPEARANCE: When this beer, which was poured from the tap, reached my table it had a 1/2" foamy off-white head with fair head lacing that dissipated slowly. The body was a clear deep amber with virtually no carbonation.

AROMA: The nose test demonstrated a light malt aroma that supported a moderate hop bouquet of fruity citrus and orange with a moderate complimentary yeasty dough scent.

TASTE: A light nutty malt taste complimented a moderate fruity citrus, orange and spicy pear taste supported by a moderate doughy yeast flavor. Quite tasty.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer had a smooth textured light to medium body with very soft carbonation and fair body lacing that dissipated slowly. The initial flavor was slightly sweet. That bloomed a lightly bitter, moderately dry finish of medium length with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

DRINKABILITY: This a big beer with a high alcohol content which is very well masked. Watch out that it doesn't sneak up on you after two or three rounds. It's one of the best beers brewed by Flying Dog and a very nice Belgian IPA, though certainly not the "best of breed." I'd definitely buy it again and serve it in the right circumstance. My only complaint is that it's slightly overpriced compared to others of this style.

paulginva, Mar 31, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

I like the beer. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wish I liked it more. Frankly my disappointment comes from the fact that I expected a cloudy, full bodied, unfiltered IPA like most of the "Belgian-style" IPA's that I have had.

This beer tastes more like a hoppy dubbel/tripel than the yeast-laden Belgian IPA's I really love. I usually love most of the beers that Flying Dog brews, but this is somewhat of an exception.

The first sip is satisfying because you taste a lot of the hops and malts, but after that the sweet boozyness sort of takes over and lingers on your tongue.

I recommend trying the beer, but don't be fooled by the supposed style. My personal favorite Belgian IPA is Robot Bastard! from Springhouse Brewery in Conestoga, PA. Good look finding that in bottles though.

mound909, Mar 30, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Pretty light copper with small sticking head.

S- Lots going on, belgiany yeast character of peach and pear with notes of citrus from the hops.

T- Upfront: Piney and citrusy hops, followed by a moderate bitterness which finishes with a fruity belgian character. Definitely lots of oranginess to this one from the combination of hops and yeast. Nothing amazing but nice hints all around, wish the harshness of the hops was less overpowering.

M- Nicely thin and moderately carbonated, nothing amazing but seems appropriate.

D- Pretty easy to drink given the strong hoppiness and bitterness, but the complexity of the nose doesn't quite carry through to the flavor to bring me back for many more.

Guden, Mar 26, 2011

The beer poured Golden with a tan head. The aroma is of Caramel malt and hops. A bit of sweet malt, maybe hints of vanilla in the front with a hop blast in the close. The feel is medium and dry. This is a very pleasant beer, and I would hope they keep it in the lineup.

claytri, Mar 25, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a stange glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a clear orange/amber color with a bubbly ¼" off white head that leaves some light lacing. The head recedes fairly soon and for most of the beer there is no lacing at all when sipping.

Smell: The aroma leaves no doubt that a Belgian style yeast has been at work here, creating a nice fruity, herbal aroma that includes some citrus, floral and earthy character from the hops.

Taste: The flavors include sweet, bready malt laced with some citrus and pine. The medium length finish is signaled by a sudden switch from a nice malt and hop balance to a not very pleasant earthy or medicinal bitterness that persists far to long

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and smooth with some reasonable carbonation.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: While I was interested to try this I didn't think it was all that drinkable. I found myself not looking forward to sipping and probably won't have this beer again. My overall impression is of a beer that was targeted to be a Belgian IPA where the grains worked reasonably well but the hops were way wide of their mark.

drtth, Mar 25, 2011