Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
TexIndy

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip. Best by date in June. 20th anniversary special release. Was a orange amber color with lots of yeast floaters. Lots of carb streams. It had a large fluffy head that settled into a thick collar and thin foam cap fed by the carb. Excellent sheeting with lots sticking.

The aroma was interesting. Spicy from the yeast with pine and grassy hops mixed in with the typical Belgian candy sugar. Each on its own might be good but, for me, the mix was off. Too much competing for attention. The taste was good with the grassy hops leading the way. The spice and sweet come in later. Again, good components but not blending well for me. Mouthfeel was creamy with lots of carbonation. Bitterish after-taste.

Overall, I love IPA's and I love most Belgian styles but this one just didn't blend well for me. In the style, I've seen it done much better (Piraat and Hugh Malone). R/A - not sure if we are going to get this in TX or not. Ummagum had an extra so I shipped that back from my CO trip to see him. It was interesting and glad I tried it but one is enough for me [N;N;OTR]

03-29-2010 23:14:25 | More by TexIndy
ianmhall

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

An amazing beer... I'm a huge fan of serious hop; I've lived in CT for just over a year and have yet to find an IPA that knocked me on my hind region... look no further. I'm am in love with this rich and hoppy beer. Totally sexy with licorice, walnut and hazelnut a grassy minty floral middle with a crisp honey and caramel malt finish...

03-29-2010 22:50:27 | More by ianmhall
philbe311

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

A - An active pour with a cascading head that settles at three fingers worth of uber fluffy and uber delicate white foam ... Stellar retention... An pale copperish amber with a glowing orange hue... A slight amount of slow disciplined deliberate carbonation... Some bubbles cling to the sides of the glass...

S - Compared to this rest of this stellar brew, the aroma is a slight let down, but still quite respectable by any other measure... Pungent citrus hops... A vague yeast character... Slightly grassy... Slightly floral...

T - A wonderful mix hops that starts pungent and bitter but turns juicy and citrusy sweet... While the hops are dominant there is still terrific balance... Just a twinge of yeast... A thin layer of malt in the form a crackers and caramel lay just beneath the surface... There is also just a bit of pepper on the finish...

M - The delicate head touches the lips first... Thereafter it's ultra sleek and smooth... Just the slightest hint of carbonation touches the tongue... Light bodied... Starts a little creamy, turning slightly juicy, and finishes with a tinge of dryness - A wonderful evolution that occurs sip after sip...

D - Eloquent... Hands down the best Flying Dog beer that has crossed my lips... I could sip on this all night long even at 8.3% ABV... I highly recommend and am glad that I invested in a six pack instead of a single bottle...

03-29-2010 01:58:20 | More by philbe311
jeffthecheff

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a slightly hazy dark amber color with a solid white head. The beer color is a little dull, but other than that, it looks nice.

The aroma is balanced more towards the Belgian yeast notes than the hops. Bubblegum and cotton candy notes are nice and full and are backed up with a fruity, Belgian tang that includes some banana. A fruity and herbal hoppy edge is added from the hops, but it seems to clash a bit with the Belgian notes.

The taste is similar to the nose in that the IPA vs. Belgian seems to be clashing more than coming together in harmony. There is a nice sweetness up front with a fruity spice note in the middle. Finish has good hop flavor as well as a strong bitterness. Just okay.

The mouthfeel is highly carbonated, full bodied, and has a lingering hop feeling. It's good but I'm expecting more from a Belgian style. This beer started to grow on me by my third glass over a few days, but I never loved it and wouldn't get it again.

03-28-2010 14:02:27 | More by jeffthecheff
willPS21

West Virginia

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

After seeing 35 bottles or so neatly stacked in a corner of my friends room, a guy who enjoys his beer, I guessed this one had some merit. And I wanted it to; Flying Dog is pretty damn local to me.

The golden color means not much to me at this point. The smell however, a very citrusy nose, was rather inviting. Upon sipping, there seems to be a large difference between the smell and flavor. I'm getting much more floral in the flavor. If you breathe out just right at the second, there is a satisfying balanced composition available. The mouthfeel is a bit thick and tarry, probably because of the fairly potent alc. This beer then finishes by passing the aftertaste test which has become important to me. Finally, the alc is camoflauged fairly masterfully, another criteria I fully encourage.

Haha I saw the person mention the salt, a trick I thought I invented that late night on new years when all that was left was blue moon. I added salt and lemon juice, or vinegar, and damn if it didn't work. The counter, however, paid the price. Anyway, I can see how this comment was made: a bit more tangy citrus (grapefruit?) in the flavor would have been welcome. Still, this is a very nice FD brew, the best I've had to date, and worth enjoying again.

Before this, Flying Dog was a bit like Magic Hat to me, something people always talked about that just did nothing for me. This has changed!

03-28-2010 02:04:34 | More by willPS21
dogfishandi

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

this one pours a golden, copper, amber color with a slightly off white head with some really good retention. lots of nice sticky lacing as well. good clearity for a belgian though, prolly not bottle conditioned which brings me to a 4 instead of a 4.5.

aww belgian yeast meets american hops- love it! citrusy piney hops coinciding with bubblegum, flouride, and spicy belgian yeast. (almost all the belgian ipas ive had and made seem to have that zingy spice characteristic which i have come to believe is a result from the blend of an abundance of american hops and some belgian yeast)

oh such a great balance of hops to yeast. in the front part you get a little of the yeast with a lot of the citrusy, piney, grassy, resiny hops that gives way to a fruity, bubblegummy, spicy belgian yeast character. both of these contrasting characteristics seem to just blend so well in this beer. nothing over the top, but its definatly not lacking anything.

medium body with some average carbonation. mouthfeel is smooth and easy. resiny and oily, yet somewhat dry. finishs a spicy bitter with hop flavors that linger for quite awhile.

the 8.3% is hardly noticable, drinks so easy and is quite refreshing, definatly would be nice for the summer months to come. a really nice session beer, drank quite a bit of this last night with the boys watchin the sabres lose again. i really hope to see this around for awhile, cause i will definatly be revisiting another 6 pack really soon. i also noticed this was an anniversary beer(20 years! i had no idea flying dog was so old!) so hopefully my wish will come try and this will be on the shelves for the rest of the year.

03-28-2010 00:36:44 | More by dogfishandi
mempath

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice bourbon red-orange with a thick copper-tan head that settles fast but leaves a tight half inch lacing band all around. nice.

wow. floral-yeasty belgian meets camphor-citrus hoppiness.

finally a belgian beer that is what i've always wanted it to be! there's the signature yeasty sweetness but bam...the hops swirl the kaliedoscope a bit. so thick and creamy and chewy and yet crisp enough. not catching the huge ABV...making this dangerously drinkable. a new favorite!

i'll be downing plenty of these after many a cyclocross race this fall! and while training this summer! ;)

03-26-2010 22:01:37 | More by mempath
HardTarget

A: Pretty girl. Sticky white head that goes long and stains the glass, crystal clear body that shows off just the loveliest shade of golden amber. Eye candy.

S: I left the glass to warm for a bit, and as I returned, I smelled her at about 3 ft. Oh my. Blend of citric hops of Belgian yeast. A bit harsh like metallic grass mulch, and a bit alluring with lemon and musky malt.

T: Earthy almost farm yeast, slap of hop alpha acid, tickle of malty sweetness, two tons of flavor seem to all go airy and light while dropping the hammer of alcohol.

M: Fully bodied, mild chew, oily resin takes a while to suck off your chops.

D: Oh my, one is plenty, but I'll be back for more.

03-26-2010 04:17:20 | More by HardTarget
scottyb88

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev 0%

A- poured a hazy orange/amber color with a great head that lasted for awhile

S-pretty amazing, very inviting aroma. citrus but not grapefruit bitter fruit more like an orange-tangerine type smells, not much on the belgian yeast aromas

T-a nice citrusy hops up front but a nice malty sweetness at the end; i didn't notice much on the Belgian side of things, I was hoping for a drier finish, but this ended up being a bit sweeter than I expected

M-not too bad; nice carbonation

D-at 8.3% its approaching most double IPA styles and usually one is enough for the day, but it was well balanced and two could easily get finished. definitely better than most of the flying dog line, unfortunately I don't think this will get produced for awhile or never again. I didn't noticed much belgian characteristics, to me it was just a sweet cirtrusy version of an IPA and lacked a classic Belgian dryness

03-26-2010 03:59:50 | More by scottyb88
MiScusi

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at KnB wine cellar in SD, CA. Got the last few ounces of the keg. Pours a clear golden into the glass, thick foamy head atop. Great lacing.

Smells green and citrusy. With a lot of Belgian yeast eathiness. A bit different than the bottle I had a few days ago. Tase is a great blend of american hops (citrusy, juicy) and the belgian yeast flavor. Really nice beer, one of the top Belgian IPAs. Better than anything from Belgium I've had in that regard.

03-24-2010 22:59:49 | More by MiScusi
Sam21

12 oz bottle poured into tulip

Appearance - Seemingly clear amber but I can see some floaties if I look closely. Nice thick white head with sticky lace.

Smell - Lots of tropical fruit and sour grapefruit dominate but I can pick up a hint of yeast as well.

Taste - Even better than the smell. The American hops erupt with grapefruit bitterness that slowly fades into a Belgian yeast character to finish. Hops linger on the taste buds. I love the personality that the yeast gives to this IPA.

Mouth Feel - The body is medium and leaves the mouth feeling dry. Moderately carbonated.

Drinkability - This beer is very easy to drink but the taste is so interesting that all I want to do is sip and enjoy. I wish I had more than this one single. I will definitely be returning to this beer.

03-24-2010 03:13:59 | More by Sam21
whoneeds8

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into a chimay chalice transparent orange with a thick white head, great lacing all the way down. Smells of weak floral hops with a hint of yeast. The taste is rather odd for an BIPA. The hops flavor up front doesn't really mix well with the belgian yeast used. There's a conflict of flavors going on that may just be too complex for my palatte. But there is flavor with this beer, lots of it. The mouthfeel does leave a unpleasant aftertaste, but the alcohol is not evident. Making this a rather confusing drinkable beer.

03-24-2010 00:45:06 | More by whoneeds8
GJ40

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Sampled from a 12oz glass purchased at Once Upon a Vine in Richmond, VA.

A - The label is somewhat disturbing but I guess it suites the name perfectly. Golden with excellent clarity and a moderate white head. A steady and organized stream of bubbles make their way upward. Lots of lacing is left behind as it empties.

S - Aroma leans toward the Belgian side for me with Belgian candy sugar and spices.

T - I think this is all Belgian as it enters your mouth with a moderate sweetness and some firm spices. But as soon as it passes the middle of the tongue, a hoppy bitterness erupts. It's nothing like a west coast IPA (as the Stone Belgians are) but it is certainly reminiscent. The first sip caught me by surprise but then I adjusted and enjoyed it.

M - A creamy consistency and a moderate carbonation.

D - This is a unique, fun and drinkable beer. I'm not a big Flying Dog fan but this may make me rethink that.

03-22-2010 22:34:03 | More by GJ40
goblue3509

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Pours a nice clear amber color with a very thick three finger plus frothy head that gives way to some nice lacing. The aroma is of sweet malts and some dark fruits as the base with floral and earthy hops over the top. Very nice pleasing smell. The taste is on par with the smell, sweet malts, dark fruits, and a slight roasted malt taste, for a backbone. Over the top is a nice floral hop bite with some hints of earthy hops. Very complex and interesting. The mouthfeel is slightly creamy with a moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very high you could have these all night, perfect balance of malt and hops and complex enough to keep you very interested in it. Overall a very good beer.

03-22-2010 18:22:12 | More by goblue3509
Lunch

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Served on-tap at Victoria Gastro Pub in Columbia, MD into a 12oz.fluted pint glass at the appropriate temperature (03/05/10)

A: Pours a nice golden straw color along with a off-white head rising about one finger. Leaves some decent lacing on the inside of the glass.

S: Some Belgian yeast combined with some piny and citrus hops. Much more mild than I was expecting.

T: Not real sure about the praise of this one because I'm not getting much from the flavor. Certainly not bad beer, but quite average. Again, Belgian yeast combined with some citrus hops and a bit of pine, but extremely mild and somewhat tasteless.

M: Light to medium-bodied with active carbonation and just the slightest hint of bitterness.

D: Easy enough to drink, but rather bland.

Overall this was not what I was expecting at all from the stellar reviews. Quite bland and disappointing.

03-22-2010 17:03:08 | More by Lunch
stingrayvr6

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured a golden amber with a thick, long last white head. Smell was very citrusy with some very sweet fruity notes as well. Taste starts out earthy and floral then moving to sweet fruity and finally citrusy and oily hop finish. Medium carbonation, very full bodied with a definite alcohol presence limit the drinkability of this to just one or two, probably best as a night cap. Very good, very complex.

03-22-2010 00:48:38 | More by stingrayvr6
elniko

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from bottle into Stella glass.

A: Deep golden amber with nice one finger head and heavy lacing. Mild carbonation apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Intriguing mix of Belgian yeast and American hops. Citrus hop notes the strongest tone.

T & M: Wow, Flying Dog usually leaves me underwhelmed but not with this brew. Nicely balanced, the Belgian yeast qualities really mingle nicely with the American hops. Medium bodied, carbonation more apparent in taste than appearance.

D: Despite high ABV very drinkable, easily the best Flying Dog brew that I've encountered.

03-22-2010 00:15:20 | More by elniko
Gmann

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a frothy and clingy khaki colored head. The aroma is definitely of hops; floral and juicy with some pineapple and other tropical fruit notes. The hop presence it a bit more subtle in the flavor letting the sweeter belgian style to pop through. Not much in the way of yeasty phenols. Definite tropical fruit flavors coming from both the hops and yeast. There is some spice and pepper, though it seems that its main job is to offset the hops, which it does. A light to moderate feel with fizzy carbonation, very nice balance, especially for an American made BIPA. Very enjoyable though I still prefer the Belgian made BIPAs, I just enjoy a more Belgian flavored BIPA.

03-21-2010 06:22:08 | More by Gmann
parkeak0

District of Columbia

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Can't believe it has taken me this long to review this beer. Have been slowly enjoying a case since January.

Pours a really nice red-copper with a two finger head. Excellent head retention and lacing all the way down. Nose is full of sweet, juicy hops with a subtle but noticeable funk from the Belgian yeast. Hits the palate with plenty of tropical, juicy hops, a bit of tartness from the yeast. Malt makes itself heard, but takes a back seat. Finish is long, bitter, slightly astringent, and boozy. Perhaps not as funk-forward as one might expect a Belgian IPA to be, but intriguing and undeniably complex nonetheless.

One of my favorite beers of the winter (particularly at $7.99 per sixer). Easily the best beer by Flying Dog that I've ever had. This is the brewery's 20th anniversary beer, which would suggest that it's a one-time gig. I've heard rumors that they're going to make it part of the perennial seasonal lineup, in response to the beer's overwhelmingly positive reception. I most certainly hope that this happens.

Bottom line: VERY well done. If you haven't tried this yet, do so.

03-20-2010 07:18:07 | More by parkeak0
jacobseyb

Alabama

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a nice orangy-amber with a slightly off white head that laces nicely and dissipates rather slowly. Aroma is nice and spicy as it should be with ample citrusy hops backing up the spice. Taste is again spicy and citrusy. Feel is crisp and light bodied, with a slightly oily finish. Overall drinkability is good, I'll definitely have a few more of this Belgian IPA.

03-20-2010 05:44:38 | More by jacobseyb
number1bum

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Pours a pretty clear orange tinted amber color with a soft, creamy light beige head. Settles very slowly and keeps a pretty full lace and leaves some nice webbing on the sides.

Smells of American hops with some Belgian yeast character. Hops are quite juicy with some nice citrus aromas and some honey-like sweetness. There isn't a ton of Belgian character here but the yeast strain is clearly Belgian, and it has some subtle musty and spicy qualities to it.

Taste is every bit as juicy as the smell, with lots of ripe tangerine, blood oranges and grapefruit. There is a bit of malt sweetness but the hops are front and center here, and are complemented by some nice Belgian yeast characteristics as well. Like I observed with the nose, this isn't the most complex Belgian yeast strain by any means, but it does have some spicy and estery qualities that are readily identifiable as Belgian. There is some light hop bitterness in the finish. This isn't the most complex Belgian IPA I've ever tasted, but the hops are very fresh and flavorful, and that makes it quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp and smooth. Quite clean and smooth.

This is some tasty stuff and definitely one of the best Flying Dog beers I've had. Not the most complex Belgian IPA, and the Belgian characters in general are somewhat subtle, but the fresh, fruity hops really make this beer. They do their job very nicely, and I find this to be very tasty and drinkable. It's definitely an Americanized Belgian IPA, but I don't have a problem with that. Oh and then there's the price, which is extremely reasonable for a Belgian IPA. I think I just might buy some more...

03-20-2010 00:07:05 | More by number1bum
OneDropSoup

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Beautiful brass, clear, with a loose collar & dusting of head. Plenty of fast, tiny bubbles. Sheets of lacing.

Great smell of peaches, tea, mint leaves, & a combination of hops & spicy yeast. Slightly peppery, slightly metallic in a good way (flinty?).

Tastes of peach tea up front, followed quickly by aggressive, piney hops, with a woody & very dry aftertaste. The most bitter Belgian IPA I've had, pretty powerful. Mellows halfway through, allowing a mild caramel flavor through to sweeten & balance.

Sharp & tingly mouthfeel that turns foamy & creamy with a quick swish.

A real ride: invites you in coyly & then moves in for the kill! Very good, but approach with caution.

03-19-2010 12:22:17 | More by OneDropSoup
TheJollyHop

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Crystal clear amber to light brown beer with two full fingers worth of light tan head.

Very musty on the nose along with some belgian spiciness, possibly some wet leaves. Faintly lemon and floral as well.

Bready grain sweetness along with some lightly toasted notes. Caramel upfront with tingling bitterness that lingers. Lemony citrus and straw along with some spicy quality. No harshness and a very clean (not muddled) taste, where each flavor can be picked apart fairly easily. Hop flavor is fairly one noted.

Tongue drying along with being medium bodied having low to medium carbonation. Slightly weighty on the tongue.

Bright flavor and bittersweet aftertaste compels the imbiber to continue...

03-18-2010 22:28:58 | More by TheJollyHop
Mora2000

Pours a clear medium orange color with a white head. The aroma is Belgian yeast, citrus and oranges. The flavor has lots of citrus with lemons and oranges. Belgian yeast flavors are present as is medium bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium to high carbonation.

03-18-2010 05:26:44 | More by Mora2000
northaustin

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

pours a nice clear amber/red with a finger of even white head. long retention, solid lacing.

the smell is an almost perfect mixture of the two styles. belgian funkyness in the back and citrusy hops upfront. very pleasing.

taste has a bit more belgian influence. the funky yeast taste is mellowed out nicely by hops.

mouthfeel: leaves nothing in a good way.

drinkability: well masked high abv. awesome flavor and something which is relatively new and interesting to me. very refreshing also.

03-18-2010 03:36:51 | More by northaustin