Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros

Poured from bottle into my bruges snifter.

A. Pours a hazy copper orange with amber highlights. Thick, fluffy, eggshell head amazing retention and lacing. This one would not release of the side of the glass.

S. Nice hoppy aroma, with citrus, mango and passion fruit. The Belgian yeast is definately noticeable.

T. Definitely a Belgian. A great balance between the unique flavor of Belgian yeast and a hoppy American IPA. Nice bitterness with a smooth malt finish.

M. Medium body with nice carbonation. Nice hop bitterness thats not overbearing. At over 8% ABV, there is a slight warming effect, but its not unpleasant..

D. This is a great beer thats blurs the lines between a great Belgian ale and an American IPA. I think there is a place for this beer in my fridge anytime. I will drink this any day.

dubinsky, Nov 19, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours rather clear orange/amber color. Nice thick head stick around and leaves some good lacing. A fair amount of carbonation is noticeable.

S: Astringent smell with floral notes and some pine as well. Very nice and clean smell, great hop characters!

T/M: Really like the right away hop bite, that mellows out with some bready characteristics. It then finished with some dry hop bitterness. Very nice combination of styles to make this one hoppy but not unbearable for the average drinker. Love the clean feeling on the palate and the hop characters are really nice. Great fresh taste to this beer!

D: Would drink this just about any time. Really liked this one just as an end to the day. Great by itself and worth a try. Once again love the hop characters here that really make this beer stand out!

mbusster88, Nov 18, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -16%

Drank from the Bottle, poured into a glass at Twelve Steps down in philly.

Smells of floral hops with a hint of yeast and alchohal.

States remotley the same, nice hoppy front with a punch of yeast towards the end. First Belgian Style I've ever had to be honest.

callmeclemens, Nov 15, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -16%

Served @ 41.6 degrees straight from the wine cooler. Looked great smelled good with rich pungent aroma of hops. Sweet flavor but comes on strong with the hops with a semi- bitter finish. Overall, decent beer, a litle hard to find but it is hard to drink.

grssmnperez, Nov 15, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

I was underwhelmed. It looked great -- orange and cloudy, just the way I like my Belgians. But. It. Was. So. Hard. To. Drink.

Really, I don't mind a sweet Triple, but a sweet IPA? My mouth didn't know what to make of tasting it against other pure IPAs. Mostly, I'm a Flying Dog fan and I'm a 8+ ABV fan. Why didn't this beer work? It was too much effort to enjoy. I'll stick with either a Belgian or an IPA. This marriage is, as they say, a bitch.

anotherpg, Nov 14, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance - Deep orange-ish ruby color. Very nice inch white head and bubbles bursting everywhere in the rest of the glass. Love this color when I pour a beer.

Smell - Fruity hops. Sometimes you smell musty alcohol, sometimes you smell coffee, but this was delicious sweet hops. I knew I would like it as soon as I smelled it.

Taste - Belgian IPA indeed! I feel like the name says it all. The first taste you get is American-style IPA hops, but in less than a moment you taste that Belgian yeast. WOW! What a combination! I love Belgian beers, but usually stray from them cause they don't have that bitter aftertaste that hooks me. Until now! This is a superb tasting brew. Just lovely.

Mouthfeel - The taste slammed me so much I didn't even think about the mouthfeel...until later. I drank this slowly while attempting to record vocals for a new song, and I noticed how syrupy my mouth was! Nice and thick feeling, you definitely feel like you are drinking something with substance.

Drinkability - Excellent. I finished it 10 minutes ago and that beautiful aftertaste is still there. The Belgian sweetness smooths out the hops just enough to make this heaven in a bottle. My first drink in this style...I'm an instant fan.

This is an instant classic for me. Top 10 ever, possibly top 5. TRY THIS!

verge, Nov 12, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap from the home kegerator. Nothing like that. Poured many, many times into a Raging Bitch goblet obtained during a Rustico glassware giveaway.

Pours a moderate golden color with quite a bit of haze and a nice white head along with oodles of sticky lacing. The nose brings some fresh Belgian yeast with a bit of white pepper and spice. Strong floral hops mix in well. The taste is a bit spicy with mild fruit and a decent amount of bitterness, though not too much. Feel is a medium body with good carbonation. Drinks quite well and is a really nice example of the style.

Thorpe429, Nov 11, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +9%

Pours into my snifter a nice deep amber-orange, albeit still relatively clear. The head is full, soft and white, and leaves excellent lacing all the way to the bottom. I drank this beer over the course of maybe half an hour and the head was very responsive to my occasional swirls, which kept it around for quite a while. The smell is beautiful and righteously hoppy, as it should be. Moreover, it really exudes the fruitiness of the hops themselves, which is a very cool characteristic. The 8.3% ABV is also slightly noticeable, although not excessive or displeasing. Taking a sip, the flavors spread themselves out very nicely on the palate: malted barley in the front, juicy hops in the back. Indeed, the taste greatly mirrors the aroma. The mouthfeel is robust yet smooth- not too carbonated or excessively alcoholic. The beer finishes very dry.

I'll admit that I initially scoffed at the idea of a "Belgian-style IPA" (i.e. "WTH kind of marketing ploy is this?"), thinking that it was just an excuse to put the "Belgian" label on something and up the alcohol content. While I'm still not sure if I'm convinced that this is a completely unique sub style, I AM convinced of its deliciousness. I'd hate to call myself a "hop head", but this beer certainly satisfies my (probably too substantial) hop cravings. Though I was probably too mesmerized by the hops to notice many other flavors, I still find this beer to be remarkably comprehensive in taste. It is well-hopped without being too bitter to displease or exclude the other ingredients. Its high ABV is very well hidden, and therefore makes it very sessionable- provided the session doesn't last too long! For any fan of IPAs, I highly suggest this beer.

BMoldy, Nov 10, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up in Totowa after not having any of the Flying Dog beers for a very long time. This was a bit of a novelty when it was first sold in my neck of the woods and all I remembered was that all of the beers from these guys tasted the same, a la Saranac. It was with this in mind that I gave this a shot since it was their 20th Anniversary offering and I had never had a Belgian IPA before. Sure enough, I'm now eating my words regarding these guys but seeing how great this beer was, I'm more than happy to do that!

Great pour to this - a radiant bright almond hue with a nice head and some lacing as I worked my way down sip by sip. The carbonation was perfect and this managed to balance the metallic bitter hops with the sourness of a Belgian beer. The resin in the beer tied the strengh in the front to the aftertaste that could easily have been mistaken from an overseas beer. This had a lot of funk to it but in a good way!

It also packs quite a punch, so much so that the alcohol is the reason why I couldn't down more than one or two in a sitting. I'm confident that there are other beers that are at the forefront of this style but to say that this took me by surprise is an understatement. To warm up on a nice fall night, I'm gonna grab another one of these again and enjoy the marriage between the citrus and plum like flavors that this beer has wonderfully enjoined. Without a doubt one of the best new brews of the year!

JerzDevl2000, Nov 10, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

There is a lot to like about this beer.

A - Deep, rich, orange-brown color with a nice head. Nice lacing. Label has a wild design and colorful description, "Two inflammatory words...one wild drink. Nectar imprisoned in a bottle. Let it out. It is cruel to keep a wild animal locked up. Uncap it. Release it...stand back! Wallow in its golden glow in a glass beneath a white foaming head. Remember, enjoying a RAGING BITCH, unleashed, untamed, unbridled - and in heat - is pure GONZO!! It has taken 20 years to get from there to here. Enjoy!"

S - Intense wave of sweet nectar.

T - Nice balance of sweet nectar flavor up front and just the right amount of hoppy finish.

M - Good carbonation.

D - Very refreshing.

LuthersMug, Nov 09, 2010

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours an opaque caramel color with orange highlights and a 1 finger foamy white head. Nice lacing featuring very fine bubbles.

Smell: Very hoppy aroma with hints of spices, banana and Belgian yeast. The hops are mostly bitter citrus and pine.

Taste: Bitter citrus up front followed by Belgian yeast, black pepper and spices in the middle ending with grapefruit rind and mild phenols at the finish. Aftertaste is long-lasting and features bitter grapefruit with a hint of aspirin. This is a bitter, hoppy beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Good drinkability. The high ABV could be an issue with drinking multiples.

Overall: Very good beer overall. It may be a bit bitter for some, but I enjoyed it. Recommended for the hopheads out there.

adam42381, Nov 08, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I wasn't expecting this at all, but in a very good way. The smell is over the top hops. I started getting really excited after smelling this beer. It pours a nice copperish brown color with a tight compact head. So the first taste is absolute IPA heaven. Heavy grapefruit, pine and spice flavors. The malt backbone supports the hops perfectly but still stays behind the scene. If you gave me this and I didn't know what it was I would just say it was a fabulous American IPA. Though at 8.3% its a little high for a typical IPA. I don't taste the alcohol though. Give this one a shot, it is excellent.

jabergess, Nov 07, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +15%

A: Very clear golden amber color with little head that doesn't stay for long. Nice lacing.

S: More Belgian on the nose than I expected. Hoppiness underneath, but not forgotten.

T: Again, more Belgian than IPA, which is good for me. Sometimes I think the IPA overtakes the Belgian taste more than it should.

MF: This drink is so light, it really surprises me it has such a good taste.

D: Extremely high. Light, tastes great, can't go wrong here.

russwbeck, Nov 07, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A: Amber body with with a nice two-finger white head.

S: Smells like a Belgian IPA: hops and funk.

T: Taste actually changes from sip to sip; first you taste IPA (piney hops and citrus), then you taste a Belgian (funk and bubblegum). the flavours never really mix.

D: Drinkable, but the alcohol is present. A little unbalanced.

Overall: I might be biased, because I'm not crazy about the style, but this one didn't blow me away. Its a good beer, no doubt, but it just seemed like the flavours were fighting for the spotlight instead of mixing. I wouldn't necessarily seek it out, but I certainly wouldn't pass it up either.

JohnnyChicago, Nov 05, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

A: This has a really stunning clarity. Bright and vibrant orange/red color. A two finger rocky white head forms with excellent retention. Plenty of sticky lace. Looks awesome.
S: Big floral and grassy hops up front. Spicy yeast with some bread and biscuit. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with a big floral and grassy hop flavor. A spicy yeast flavor that lingers on forever, which I really like. Some bread and biscuit as well. Tons of hops but really well balanced.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Clean, crisp, and smooth. Really easy to drink. I put back a tall pour, and could have easily gone back for more. The alcohol is really well hidden.

I don't see what makes this a Belgian IPA. It is American through and through. It is very enjoyable however. What ever it is called, this is an excellent beer that is well balanced and nuanced. Highly recommended.

champ103, Nov 05, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

a. Pours a super clear orange golden color with some carbonation rising to the top.The frothy off white head is about 2 fingers width high.

s. Aroma is Belgian to the max with all the typical Belgian spice character. Theres some nice hop presence and sweetness.

t. In the taste department the Belgian yeast really stands in the front. Some nice caramel malt flavor balances out the hop bite.

mf/d. Feel is moderate but slightly creamy with just enough carbonation. Very drinkable considering the abv.

I am usually not a big fan of the Belgian IPAs. The Belgian spice and strong hops don't always work. But this does.

kbnooshay, Nov 04, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Pale orange with a pure white fluffy 1 finger head.

S: I definitely get the Belgian part. The spicey Belgian yeast. And I definitely get the ipa part. Lots of tropical goodness with a touch of peach.

T: Less hops on the tongue then the nose. Still get the tropicalness and lots of Belgian character. Pretty good mixture of the two styles.

M: Light bodied and super carbonated. Finishes with a huge amount of bitterness.

Overall: I've been wanting to try this one for while but didn't want a whole sixer. Finally found it as a single and jumped on it. I'm still not completely sold on the style. I mean it's not bad beer but it's nothing earth shattering.

BigMike, Nov 04, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

12oz. bottle poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy effervescent rimmed light orange, with a smallish bubble off dirty white head.

S: Has a pungent clean hops smell with a banana yeastness hiding underneath. Smelling good so far.

T: Hits the mouth with a very quick sweet malts taste and then transitions into a heavy dose of clean hops with a washing of a slight alcohol burn in the end. Definitely a sipper, but not tasting much Belgian in this one.

M: Its a medium body affair with a nice zing of alcohol across the palate and onto the back of the throat. I usually don't like to taste alcohol but in this case I'm digging the cleansing alcohol wash after every bitter sip.

D: A sipper for sure at 8.5% and with the amount of hops and heat this one brings to the table I've yet to drink two in a row of these bad boys.

An emerging style for sure. I just wish there was a little more Belgian in this one.

Kanyon22, Nov 04, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into tulip.

First beer of this style that I've tried.

A- Seems a bit clear. Light, light amber in color. Head is a nice two fingers that settles in to 3mm of clunky foam, which surprises me coming from such a light colored beer.

S- I get the grassy hops and the Belgian yeast right up front with a bit of biscuit and an odd roasted tomato in there. I am again surprised by the complexity of aromas coming from such a lightly colored beer.

T- Grapefruit and honey up front, dissolving into a fairly malty-sweet flavor from the yeast, with a spike of vanilla and pine from the hops. Strange, but good. Tons of flavor. Good flavor.

M- A bit thin, initially, but this beer seems to get a chew after thinking about it. Carbonation seems to be right on, carrying over from the Belgian style.

D- Way too easy to drink for a 8+ abv.

Overall, a better beer than expected after the pour. The appearance is quite deceiving, ultimately surprising me with the complexity of flavor.
I'll buy this again, for sure. Especially at this price point.
I also must mention that this is the first Flying Dog beer that I've considered worth repeating.

poster112, Nov 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Orange-yellow color with tiny white bubbles keeping the foam aloft. Not impressed by the stick or shape of the lace in general. Decent look, a little subpar for this particular style.

The nose is plenty strong, with a large dose of tropical mango and grapefruit to augment the white pepper spicing. The hops are plenty strong, while the ester do the yeast strain justice. The power is there, and the right notes are hit.

Flavor profile somewhat subdued relative to the nose. Hops are a solid pleasant addition to the malt base, although this is slightly sweeter with more crystal than I usually think of for a Belgian IPA. No big deal. Aspirin and medicinal herbs in the finish.

Mouthfeel seems more like a much smaller beer, and the well-hidden heat seems to confirm that this is much lower in alcohol content. Finishes nicely, albeit aggressively, with the high carbonation pulling the hotter flavors away from the palate. Well done and in the upper echelon of the style, though not quite elite.

BretSikkink, Nov 02, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

Listed by the brewer as an American style IPA with the add of Belgian yeast. Pours beautifully, great, deep amber color with an full pale head. Great lacing. Aroma is yeasty and hoppy. Taste is wonderful, slight malt flavor, a little yeast, and a lot of hops. Nice dry crisp finish. Flavor holds up as a really nice from beginning to end. Very drinkable. Lives up to the hopped-up "American-style IPA" expectation.

ronny, Oct 31, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours dark pumpkin with a filmy white head that leaves trailers. Nose is tangerine plus waxy yeast that together evoke the skin of a polished orange. Grand Marnier and birch malts followed by prickly clove then ginger juice and pink grapefruit hops. Bitter aspirin finish - hits harder than 60 IBUs. Tight tingly puckering linger. Dry, medium, oily, no chew, some burn.

Rather than brew a pale ale that is in any way Belgian, FD gives us a fairly aggressively bitter amber that just has Belgian yeast thrown into it - to minimal effect.

Too harsh to be very interesting, and not really the balance and complexity that this style should be about.

StJamesGate, Oct 31, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +24.8%

I wish Belgian IPA was an official style! This beer is amazingly drinkable. Even though it is high in alcohol it doesnt have that alcohol burn to it. Its amazing how simple the malt bill is on this beer and yet how complex the flavor is thanks to the 'El Diablo' yeast. I think the hops that the brewer used in this beer pair very well with each other, has a nice American IPA citrus flavor and aroma to it. Awesome beer Flying Dog!

arboristfish, Oct 30, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Two finger head, very interesting bubbles coming up. Larger than most bubbles and a bit more action going on that most IPAs I can think of. A wonderful orange straw color. For filtered beer it's pretty darn good looking. If they'd get some yeast floating around I think they'd have a near perfect looking beer!

A wonderful mix of extremely bitter hops with a caramel malt which is enhanced by a very sweet Belgium yeast. It is truly amazing how this style of beers is growing. We've taken Belgium yeast which is pretty much awful when used by the belgiums and found a way to create a whole new and really tasty version of our IPAs. Hopefully the trappest and others over there are taking notes. This is how you balance the absurd sweetness of a Belgium beer!

Extremely drinkable and while a touch heavier than I'd expect it feels pretty decent in the mouth. That said what IPA isn't?

Don't go into this beer expecting to be blown away. The aroma is a great mix of the fruity Belgium yeast, American hops, slightly sweetened from the malt and perhaps at of spice. Apart from that you're looking at an above average beer, priced EXTREMELY well.

bobhits, Oct 30, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

I liked this and I might have liked this more if it were labeled a triple. I think to me this more a belgian triple taste as opposed to a ipa.

A - copper ale with a huge 2 finger head. lots of lacing as well.

S - Nice banana estery smell this brewery has belgians beer down.

M - It is okay leaves kind of a banana backlash on the feel.

D - It's good I like it worth having and worth giving it a try.

Casey10, Oct 30, 2010