Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,102 | Hads: 3,666
3.43/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a pilsner glass

Clear, golden amber- orange liquid with good carbonation pours a solid two finger white cap with big , fluffy lacings.

Aroma of orange, tobacco, cloves.

Cloves on the first sip, sweet on the front of the tongue quickly dissipates to bitterness on the back of the tongue. Bitter aftertaste.

Medium carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

Strong flavors, sharp bitter aftertaste. Well crafted beer but not my style. (447 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

ok, not bad. Color and appearance great, head ok. Flavor is good, nice hops and such. Bottle is awesome and I assume that is what draws a lot of people to this beer and maybe even helps boost the ratings?. Nice flavor but a touch sweet at the end. Other than that, this is a nice beer from a great brewery (305 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I am a big fan of IPA's and bitter Belgian style beers so this was a perfect match for me. Color was absolutely extraordinary, however was a bit disappointed with the head retention. I also tend to like a more dry finish while this was a little sweet. Overall, I was really impressed with the color, clarity, and finish of this beer. I highly recommend. (353 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -51.6%

I want so much to like Flying Dog beers. However, every time I buy one with high hopes...raspberries.

This beer had a head that was too big and just didn't look appetizing.

The smell was a mixture of skunky, flowery...I couldn't tell what was Belgian about it.

The taste was heavy on the IPA and zero on the Belgian.

I want to like their stuff, but I just can't. (366 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

Had on draft at Tilted Kilt Hagerstown

A-Pours dark hazy copper with a half a finger of off white head. Great lacing!

S-Smell is slightly funky, notes of hops, resin, grass, lemon and Belgium yeast.

T-Taste is bitter hop, resin, yeast, and hay followed by very balanced malt background.

M-Mouthfeel has a medium body, medium carbonation, and a creamy finish.

O-I think it great mixture of a Belgium golden ale and a east coast IPA, nice beer. (450 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

An interesting twist pinning an IPA with Belgian (I assume they mean Abby) style. It seems like they were trying to outdo the Arrogant Bastard Ale in the Hops department, whilst compensating with citrus flavours. This IPA is an overly full bodied experience, encouraging my tasting associates to make comments like; “She is a raging bitch,”
“So hoppy it’s got a bunny in it,” and my personal favourite; “It’s got an orange aftertaste, but it’s still bleeding hops.” Makes for good conversation. (513 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- deeper amber color. Pours very little head but nice lacing. S- citrus and caramel. Reminiscent of a Belgian ale. T- sweet with good malt backbone. Bitter aftertaste, almost tart. M- medium with hops lingering. Decent carbonation. O- with the intriguing yet almost repulsive artwork on the bottle this delivers for me. A good hop to malt ratio with Belgian yeast pleases my taste buds and is very drinkable to my standards. (426 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I have been giving Raging Bitch many second chances for about ten years now. I just can't do it. Every time I see the cool label and the 8.2 percent and get exited, buy it and take it home..., well it gets popped, i sip and am utterly disappointed. It's a true struggle to finish a six pack of this stuff and I'm a 12 year craft brew (wtf does that even mean these days) veteran.

You want a belga/IPA yada yada? Go with the Ruination. Heaven... (446 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into pint glass. A really great take on an often poorly executed style. Flying Dog delights us again with the Raging Bitch. Great dark golden color, the Bitch pours easily into room temperature pint glass. Leaves behind medium lacing with a rich golden-white head. Easy belgian taste up front, followed quickly by bitter hops. The hop takes over the flavor and lingers for a bit. Mouthfeel is overall very nice. Notes of the belgian fullness are there, but in my opinion the hop bites quickly and doesn't let go. Good beer. Would drink again. (549 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a crystal clear amber with a minimal white head. Nice lacing. Aroma of malt, toasty caramel, marshmallow and spice. Those all carry over to the taste, and combine with the hops and flowers to give a distinct molasses note. The bitterness begins to come through as it warms a bit. Nice medium mouth that coats the tongue without being too oily. This isn't something I would drink frequently, but it's a really nice change of pace IPA. (439 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is only the second time I've tried this beer, and I'm finding that it tends to grow on you, and I've started to really like it. It's quite hoppy, but the bitterness of the hops makes for a good balance with the sweetness of the malt and the bite of the high ABV.

Overall, a very good beer. Clarity is outstanding. Quite hoppy. Also, the high ABV makes it very "relaxing." (377 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Slightly clouded amber color. 1-finger off white head with moderate retention. Carbonation looks light. Good lacing.

S - Belgian yeast are up front, citrus and grassy hops underneath. Some bready malts as well.

T - Hmm, not sure how a feel about this one. The flavors of Belgian yeast come through, along with the sweetness of a belgian style beer. The IPA notes are also very much present, but are overpowered to me by the belgian style sweetness. Finishes with a nice malt backbone like a good IPA. Very conflicting on the tongue.

M - Okay, a little bit of slick oiliness.

O - Really not sure what to think. I'm not a fan of the sweet tripel style beers, and I am a fan of IPAs, and this reminds me of a cross between those two. I'm not sure that it works for my taste. The tripel style is just a little too overpowering, almost like I poured a tripel into a glass after drinking a pale ale and didn't clean the glass out or get a new one. Interesting concept, and really not a bad beer. I could see this working for some, but it's not for me. (1,055 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice copper colour with a nice off-white head and good lacing. The smell definitely reminds me of a good Belgian IPA, but it isn't particularly interesting. The taste is dominated by the hops. It's very bitter, and you can only detect a little balance from the malts. Quite piney. And I'm quite sure I can taste the Belgian yeast in there as well. Slighty oily mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation. Overall, not bad, but it doesn't go down as a favourite. (457 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -46.9%

This beer really didn't do it for me. I've drank plenty of Belgian beers and plenty of IPAs, many high alcohol beers, but this beer was not enjoyable. Not sure where to put my finger on it, and I won't stoop as low as gross, but I'd almost rather have bud light. (262 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Excellent presentation, amber hues and a nice head.

Smell: Not overpowering, with hints of citrus and spice.

Taste: Almost a lemon, grapefruit flavor, with a slightly spicy taste on the palette

Mouthfeel: Clean and smooth, not overly bitter.

Overall: Very drinkable, clean finishing beer. Would be paired well with select Mexican or Thai dishes. (362 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a beautiful amber hue of dark copper. Moderate carbonation that makes a one finger cream-colored head.

S: I had a stuffy nose that day so I didn't smell much at all. Just a hint of malt. I rated the smell as the average of the other scores so as not to affect the overall rating.

T: I really overestimated how this would be. It wasn't truly anything special for the IPA style. Strong pine notes upfront but aren't too extreme. After come the mild floral characters and bit of sweet but vague malts. The alcohol is barely pronounced for how strong it is. Perhaps my nose is affecting the taste?

M: This was by far my favorite part of the taste. Excellent crisp and clean mouthfeel. Slightly fizzy and only slightly slick in the mouth. The body is balanced a tad on the light side of medium. Pretty satisfying.

O: I wasn't a fan of this one. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't great. However, if you are new to craft and want to try an IPA for the first time without having your palate be bombarded, check this one out. Raging Bitch is decent IPA, just not astounding. Would be good for the curious but not too crazy beer lover. (1,138 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at around 45 degrees Fahrenheit

Appearance: Amber color with a one finger off white head

Smell: Citrus hops, candied sugar, caramel, bubblegum, cloves, banana. Quite enjoyable and unique

Taste: Sweetness that fades into citrus hops, cloves, and bananas. This is what I imagined a Belgian IPA would taste like

Mouthfeel: Medium body, slightly resinous, with substantial bitterness

Overall: This is my first Belgian style IPA and it's pretty much what I imagined. More on the American IPA spectrum with undertones of belgian yeast and spices. Perhaps a bit sweet for my liking, but quite decent really. Bitterness lingers. Wouldnt pick this over what I'm used to in an American IPA, but something ill consider again if I want to switch things up and in the mood for a more earthy IPA (826 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately slow and leaves some lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of tones of citrus, lemon, orange zest, grapefruit, light Belgian yeast, some pine and faint peppery spices.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has some citrus, lemon, grapefruit, some pine, light bready yeast and faint pepper.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas. (579 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Deep orange/amber colored beer with a thin cap of tight bubbles that linger along the edge. Orange peel is evident in the aroma along with something sweeter like caramel, I expected a bit more funky yeast in the aroma of a Belgian Style IPA. The citrus aroma gives way to a more piney taste with hints of apricot. I get the caramel sweetness again if I let the beer linger on my tongue a minute. Theres also a decent alcohol burn towards the back of my tongue that hangs around for awhile. (489 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Attracted by the art by Ralph Steadman (he drew all the illustrations for Hunter S. Thompson) and was excited to find a very nice beer. A nice hazy yellow amber pour with a lasting head. The smell had a lot of citrus hops to it. Upon the taste though you get a lot of complex flavors within. The hops compliment the Belgian yeast perfectly and I found the beer to be very refreshing. A beer with great flavors, cool name, awesome artwork. I thought it was great. (462 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9.5%

A -Thick head.

S - Nice citrusy smell

T - Some malt with some citrus to it. Very pleasant.

M - You can taste the alcohol on the aftertaste, but its not detrimental at all. In my opinion. its a very good sessionable beer with 8.3% abv. It has a good taste. Only downside is the alcohol can creep up on you. (308 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark yellow/amber semi-transparent in color with lacing that remains on the glass the whole time.

Smell: Nothing special about the smell. It has a slight floral smell but that is fairly minimal.

Taste: After not being all that impressed with the smell I didn't expect a lot from the taste but it is actually pretty good. There is a little bit of a floral taste with a slight hint of sweetness that finishes off bitter but not too bitter. (499 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice reddish amber color. Slightly brown head that leaves a nice lace. Citrusy (orange, grapfruit) nose. Smells like an IPA! Kinda tastes like an IPA but there is something else in there. Perhaps a burnt flavor? Not sure. Doesn't make it a completely different beast. It just makes it a litte different. Ever so slightly chewy, and a bit sticky in the mouth. This beer is good. Very refreshing (though I am thirsty!). Its high alcohol content can make it dangerous! Guess I'll find out. Yum (490 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I am not the biggest fan of Belgian style beers, but the added hops to consider this an India pale ale are a nice touch. The beer is well balanced and not too heavy, but it is very strong and did not go well with dinner. The flavor profile was slightly confusing. (263 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into Samuel Smiths Organic Wheat Beer Glass

A - Thick white head, took a while to reduce and left some white lacing on the glass.

S - Hemp, Citrus

T - Malty and Caramel, Bitter hop finish, not too dry on the aftertaste and the high alcohol content is hard to detect until a lot after

M - As I said, not a dry aftertaste. The strength of the alcohol does come along after a while but only as an afternote. It's actually quite a supreme aftertaste and the belgian method and yeast comes through.

All in all a really good beer. (545 characters)

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery