Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,607 | Reviews: 1,129
4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

This was my first ever beer on cask and I absolutely loved it. The fact that it wasn't cold took a bit of getting used to but by its end this turned out to be one of the best beers I've had. I'm not sure how much of a difference the cask makes but regardless I plan on ordering a few more of these.

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured a dark copper color, and was lievly and foamy, with a good two finger head. First smell was of the Belgian Yeast, almost instantly followed by a lovely citurs hop presence. In addition, it smells slightly herbal, like it has a touch of Rosemary. Taste was also herbal, and starngely a combination of hoppy citurs mixed deeply with the Belgian yeast slightly musty tastes. What I'm tryint to say, as an IPA lover and a Belgian lover, is that the taste is, wow, almost perfect for me. It has everything I love about beer all in one bottle.
Mouthfeel? Euphoric. Can't wait to buy more of this stuff, and am left wondering how thisd escaped me for so long...

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

Had a big bottle but that didn't taste right. Jeffo insisted I try it fresh so I did.

Had these bottles taken straight from the case it came in at Bert's bierhuis.

Came out a little red, copper if you will but very clear. Almost no head.

Nice aroma. Citrus and Hop. Very West Coast.

BOOM it's in my mouth. I already know I love this beer from the very first taste. Bittersweet malts, a little citrus and lots of bitterness.

Very crisp with just the right amount of carbonation. 8.3% abv but I could drink this all night long.

Having grown up on Belgian Pale Ale's I don't quite see where this would fit in that style. A US West Coast IPA this is imho and a very good one. The best is that I can get this fresh and for a reasonable price on my end of the pond. Will make get on my bike to buy a few fresh one's whenever I can.

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle into an oversized snifter. It is caramel brown color with a nice white head that dissipated quickly.

The smell is awesome the hops are mouthwatering.

The taste is even better. The hops are ever-present, but not dominating. The Belgian yeast taste comes through. It is quite a complex taste.

The mouthfeel is good, but not quite on par with most Belgians from Belgium that I have had.

It is very drinkable, and overall it is a great beer and a great value. It was only 9 bucks for a six pack. I will drink this regularly.

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance- HOLY HEAD BATMAN!! This beer starts off with a frothy three finger head with a retention of two fingers. Beautiful, clear amber pour. Great columns of visible carbonation. It has a decent, bubbly lace that clings to the top of the glass as you drink.
Smell- Scents of hops and a sweet, fruity smell tickle the nose as they erupt from this head.
Taste- The sweet, fruity taste that I cannot pinpoint compliments the bitterness of the hops nicely to create a balanced taste with quite a bite.
Mouthfeel- The light body pleasantly glides over the tongue with decent carbonation.
Drinkability- This beer is a fantastic drink. Its sweet, smooth flavor is complimented by the great feel of this beer to create a taste that I would love to purchase again.

4.8/5  rDev +24%

light amber/dark orange body (standard I/APA color, adequate carbonation trails, light tan head. The head is less aggressive than I would expect from 90% of anything with the name 'Belgian' in it. Head is sturdy, mostly small bubbles leaving a sticky cobweb lacing.

(Warning: Am a little stuffed up. I apologize.) Belgian yeast that isn't too yeasty smelling with very mellow aroma hop character. Smells like an exotic gelato. Hint of vanilla (Tahitian).

Deliciousness! Subdued, but clean hop bitterness followed by flavorful, grassy, piney hops (some dry hopping?) balanced with a candy malt sweetness that I would guess comes from unfermented non-maltose sugars (cane? honey? what's belgian candi sugar again?) and a healthy dose of a moderate, malty crystal (60L?). Bitterness extremely clean as it hits moderately hard, mellows, and then softens until gone; elapsed time, 1 min. 30 sec. As it warms the malt and yeast mellow to a banana cream pie filling with a mild vanilla cushion. Also, for the ABV this one goes down nice and smooth with nary a taste of alcohol, even at 65F.

At 8.3% I'm sipping this one so a lot of carbonation really doesn't hurt. Each sip is full bodied, yet not sticky. Is this the work of some sucrose additions as a body lightener? Whatever it is, it works. Sweet, not very dry.

I love it. Great malt backbone, alcohol balanced nicely, masterful additions of hops. I especially appreciate the strong, yet not face-melting degree of clean bitterness. Excellent aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. I could session the crap out of this beer which would probably kill me with the alcohol lever, but that's how good it is.

Edit* Some bubblegum in the nose. I was wondering what it was when I came upon TonyReaves' review. You hit the nail on the head, man.

4.8/5  rDev +24%

What's not to like about this beer? An IPA brewed with the glorious simcoe hop, finished with Belgian yeast. The beer will pour a golden orange hue that is topped with a sumptuous white head. The aroma of the simcoe hop and mild clove and coriander create a beautiful bouquet. As for the taste, this is easily one of the more satisfyingly flavorful yet refreshing IPA I have had for a long time. The Belgian IPA is a great trend for other breweries to catch on to, I look forward to see what other places have up their sleeve.

4.8/5  rDev +24%

I wish Belgian IPA was an official style! This beer is amazingly drinkable. Even though it is high in alcohol it doesnt have that alcohol burn to it. Its amazing how simple the malt bill is on this beer and yet how complex the flavor is thanks to the 'El Diablo' yeast. I think the hops that the brewer used in this beer pair very well with each other, has a nice American IPA citrus flavor and aroma to it. Awesome beer Flying Dog!

4.79/5  rDev +23.8%

I was at a beer snob party: eveyone brings one or two unique 6 packs (or 1 4 pack or 12 pack, you get it) and we drink and whatever else.
I tried this at 7. By 10 i'd driven to the store the and bought the last two packs they had available.
Flying Dog impresses again.
Appearance: amber in color, nice head that doesn't stay up long. Some lace was left in the cup.

Smell: sweet, crisp, slightly miss leading because it smells like a Belgian style beer, when this is far from any Belgian style i've had.

Taste: the most important part. Starts out smooth, ends with the 60 IBU it is packing.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful, but if you do not like bitter beers, but you like Belgian-style beers, don't try to fool yourself into thinking this is one of them. This is an IPA before it is a "Belgian-Style" beer-- no oranges here. Just Hops Hops and Hops.

Drinkablility- For me the best. I have zero dislikes about this beer, but I stand behind what I said previously: This is an IPA before it is a "Belgian-style."

Cheers.

4.79/5  rDev +23.8%

A very good belgian ipa. Golden in the glass. Smells of belgian yeast and esters. A hop note is also there. The taste starts with hoppy goodness develops into a something like a golden belgian and finishes dry and bitter. The carbonation is just right for all of the developing flavors. This is a very drinkable beer that you have to be careful sipping. A true marriage of two excellent beer styles resulting in a wonderful result.

4.78/5  rDev +23.5%

I've had this a bunch of times randomly, bought a sixer at a buy-rite in ebf NJ (the road that goes from the Turnpike to Freehold if you must know). This is probably the most drinkable over 7% beer I've ever had.

A: It's generally golden. The sixer was all drank from the bottle.

S: Piney as other have noted, but also a bit of a sweet note.

T: More into the dubble/trippel/quad on Belgian beers, I can say this tastes "Belgian". No wheat notes like say Allagash White or Hoegaarden or even Blue Moon/Shock Top, but it does the trick, right?!?

M: Erm...it goes down as easily as budmillercoorsbusch lite. That's prob. all you need to know.

O: As of 7ish p.m. on the Saturday of Mem Day weekend, I have a new favorite (easy-to-find?) American Beer. Way to go Dogs.

4.77/5  rDev +23.3%

I picked this one up at my local store based on what I had read here on BA and just the novelty of the name in general.

Poured a nice orangish amber color with a bit of off-white head on it. Smell was full of hops with some citrus notes and yeast as well. Taste was pretty incredible. Very balanced medium bodied beer. Good citrus malt flavor. Not quite as hoppy as I expected. All in all, I loved this beer. The name and label are creative and appealing and the taste really backed it up. Hope to pick this up again soon.

4.77/5  rDev +23.3%

appearance: golden color pale ale, slight reddish dapple, nice lacing residue

smell: belgian yeasty and bread smell. sublte hops, Interesting...

taste: nice hop kick, grassy, earthy taste on the backend. decent alcohol bite on the back too.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

Fantastic beer, I want to see more high hop belgian IPAs

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great taste for this style of beer. Very easy drinking.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

A-I like all the Steadman label art that Flying Dog uses. It pours a beautiful amber-reddish-brown. Thick 1 finger light head which left nice lacing on the glass.

S-Pine. Citrus. HOPS.

T-Hops up front, right away. Nice bite in the middle and finishing slightly sweet and not too bitter.

M-Nice & juicy hop flavors and an alcohol bite.

O-Received as a gift and would definitely buy this one for myself. A surprise to me because when I hear Belgian I think sweet, which this is not the case at all. This is right in my round house as far as IPA's go.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

One of the best IPAs I have had. Interesting flavor and a LOT of hops!

4.72/5  rDev +22%

Put one of these in my Wegman's "Craft Pack". I should have put two in.

Appearance: Pours a translucent straw-yellow. Nice foamy head and lacing last throughout.

Aroma: Awesome. Hoppy Sweetness all the way. Incredibly floral Hops blended with a fruity malty scent. Bananas with a spice burst towards the end. Incredibly unique.

Taste: 2nd Awesome. Slight hop bite up front and finishes very "Belgian". Coriander, spice. Alcohol % is hidden very well.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Veru slight burn from Alc. %

Overall: By far my favorite from Flying Dog. They nailed it on this one. Definitely a keeper and repeater. One of the most well-balanced beer I've had in a very long time...

4.72/5  rDev +22%

this recently (and very quickly) became one of my favorites after only a few sips at the Blarney Stone in Baltimore. went home and got a 6 pack the next day

A - nice golden ale color, good head with great lacing

S - this is where it really picks up. yeasty must, piney hops, toasty undertones, so so so good.

T - out of this world. prickly hops combined with classic Belgian yeast strain makes for one amazing combination, big spicy malty finish with all other flavors dancing around, some honey as well

M - slightly thin, but no matter, this is still a winner

D - could take out all 6 if I didn't have places to be. huzzah!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice bourbon red-orange with a thick copper-tan head that settles fast but leaves a tight half inch lacing band all around. nice.

wow. floral-yeasty belgian meets camphor-citrus hoppiness.

finally a belgian beer that is what i've always wanted it to be! there's the signature yeasty sweetness but bam...the hops swirl the kaliedoscope a bit. so thick and creamy and chewy and yet crisp enough. not catching the huge ABV...making this dangerously drinkable. a new favorite!

i'll be downing plenty of these after many a cyclocross race this fall! and while training this summer! ;)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Exactly what I would expect a Belgian IPA to be. The fruitiness of a belgian golden or triple ale, combined with the similar but different malt aspects of an IPA, and a nice US style hops kick. The alcohol esters also add to the Belgian aspect of the beer. It is pulled off as well as any hybrid in this style as I have ever tried. Good work, Flying Dog, you have seem to gotten over the quality issues I used to associate you with, this is a well crafted and drinkable beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: I poured this beer out of a bottle into a pint glass, filling it with this golden burnt orange ale with huge chunky head.

Smell: Amazing! Big hop up front, floral, letting you know it is an India Pale Ale, followed by a solid Belgian yeast spice. Very complex and inviting.

Taste: As any beer should be, it tastes as good as it smells. It pairs the hop trio perfectly with their yeast characteristic and finish - nutty, earthy and lemony.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and refreshing, with a drying finish that makes you want more; the head retention maintained mouthfeel through the whole beer.

Drinkability: This is a big bold badass beer that will slap you if you don't watch yourself. It is fierce at 8.3%ABV and every sip you take makes you want another.

Notes: I, nor Brett who I drank this with as we brewed a Pale Ale, can say a single bad thing about it. I follow Flying Dog on Twitter, they were posting like mad as they brewed, bottled and shipped this beer. And I wanted a pint of it every time they posted, and after all of that, it lived up to its hype. Great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle. 20th anniversary beer from Flying Dog!

Ultra clear, light golden amber with an off-white head lacing the glass. I really like the smell, light molasses on top off a broad but light tropical fruit-like hops. The taste is pretty good too, I get an increased hop presence, a sweeter grapefruit base, and underlying malt that is excellent. Sharp bitter and spicy finish; a bit carbonated. The alcohol percentage is about right, as I detect but a small amount of burn on the end. I would be happy to drink one of these every once in a while. "Belgian" due to the yeast, but really this is a solid IPA. Recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice relatively light ipa..with a mild aftertaste..love it

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours with a slightly cloudy, yellow-orange with a large frothy white head that sticks around for a good while.

S: A very pleasant combination of traditional IPA and Belgian aromas: citrus, pine, and a faint straw and yeast character.

T: I am amazed by the taste of this beer. I expected a bitter hop bomb, but instead get a smooth citrus flavor up front followed by a mild thirst quenching bitterness that is mellowed by a Belgian wheat-like character. The alcohol is nearly unnoticeable.

M: Very silky smooth, and light in the mouth makes this beer drink very smoothly. This is a beer I could drink all day in the summer.

O: I'm not a huge IPA fan, but this one blew me away. I would definitely drink this again. It's thirst-quenching, and tasty. If it weren't for the high ABV this would a great session beer, as it certainly has the flavor for it.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Amber/gold in color with a huge cloud deck of foam
Aroma-Big, citrussy hops(my favorite), and spice notes
Taste-Big, juicy hops, citrus, spicy, and a bit of Belgian funkiness
Overall: Nicely balanced, aromatic, full of juicy hop flavor and a touch of Belgian spiciness-A top notch representation of the style, and very drinkable for the strength
Get Some!!