Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,111 | Hads: 3,724
2.47/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Have to say I am not a great ipa fan. But wanted to give some of them a try.

I opened the bottle poured it in a Duvel glass. Smell was really nice, first taste not too bad, but i can't stand the bitter aftertaste that keeps sticking for ever.

The more I drink it the worse it gets. Probably not a bad ipa but really not for me

2.53/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Just meh. I'm not a huge fan of IPA's to begin with, but even with that considered this is in the lower quartile of IPA's I've tried. Too much spice, the aroma clashes with the flavor instead of works with it, and it feels rough in the mouth.

It's a shame because Ralph Steadman is one of my favorite artists, and this label is one of the neatest I've ever seen.

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

A fave of mine! Who doesn't love Ralph Steadman's art work and hilarious write ups! As Ralph says, this beer is pure Gonzo! I think it's very tastey. I love the sweet malt and grapefruit hops. If my local liquor store runs out, I grab Flying Dog's "Snake Dog IPA".

4.31/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm not a huge fan of Belgium style beers. However this one does not disappoint. I'm kind of surprised at the ratings for this beer. A little under rated in my opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: deep reddish amber, ½” frothy head, dissipates to a thin film, leaves cathedral window lacing,
S: Plums, citrus, pine, pepper and herbal
T: Fruit with some Belgian character on the palate but the big hop flavors and bitterness hold center stage. It starts with a malty fruity sweetness and citrus rind bitterness grows and it dries out by the finish.
F: medium body, medium high carbonation, very fine bubbles
O: A refreshing, bitter tonic.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours deep golden amber with a frothy off white head that settle and laces well.

S: Floral hops, some citrus notes, and some Belgian funk.

T: Floral hops, some citrus, lemon and a touch of orange, a little peppery and grassy, Belgian funk, a little grainy, with a light caramel/honey sweetness.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: I'm generally not big on Belgian style beers, but this one is pretty crisp and refreshing. I might not go out of my way to grab it, but I wouldn't complain if it's put in front of me.

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear copper pour with off-white foam. Aroma of yeast, malt and some citrus. Hop bitter up front, with a mellow lingering bitter, but pretty clean finish. Not the best of this style, but entirely enjoyable.

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bitter but not terrible. These sneak up on you if you drink more than 3. Don't let your girlfriend drink these, it's called raging bitch for a reason.

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Light amber colour with mild streaming CO2. Good off white foam head that is around 3 fingers and is pretty tight in make up. Good head retention and some light lace

Smell - Yet another IPA that smells like a Lemon Geranium plant ie piney and citrusy. There is also decent amounts of grape, orange, mandarin, coriander seed and leafy wood.

Taste - Sweet at first, this one rides from sugary malts to citrus fruit; mandarin and through to piney hop but none of these elements are over powering or dominant. The whole experience is well balanced, full and refreshing.

Mouth feel - Smooth and medium bodied, neither dry nor cloying but also lacking in pronounced linger.

Overall - WEll balance and tasty but slightly pedestrian the mouth feel is the weakest link but this beer is by no means a bad beer just a bit of a let down given the hype.

4.36/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a tulip glass.

A: Lovely amber body with a slight bit of haze. 1'' off-white head persists.
S: Floral hops paired with the spicy, slightly rubbery Belgian yeast.
T: Fairly sweet taste. Starts off with a bitter grapefruit taste. Strong sweet caramel malt forms the body of the taste. Finishes with a spicy note from the yeast. Hops linger on after the finish.Strong alcohol presence.
M: Medium.
O: Strong Belgian IPA, probably best described as a DIPA. Very enjoyable. Will get again.

4.84/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I love this beer, one of the best imperial IPAs you can find on the east coast, let alone Baltimore. Absolutely delicious and definitely worth a try. On tap in the Baltimore/Washington area is best but from bottles delicious nonetheless. definitely worth a try.

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

Great ABV and just a great heavy IPA. Very citrusy and hard to put down once you get going. I made the mistake of downing six of these in a few hours and felt it all day the next day. No hang over though.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drank straight from bottle so not getting the full experience.
Not a huge IPA fan but liked it anyway.
Sweet and bready up front, with some resiny pine notes on the finish. Lively carbonation, not that bitter.

4.39/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I drink ALOT of this beer, I have noticed that the taste varies quite a bit depending on the batch. Alcohol level is high, so go easy...but overall one of my top 10 favorites

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Big thumbs up for this tasty treat. Enjoyed the unique and very different passionfruit and mango flavors punching through the middle. Nice balanced finish too. A yummy gulper this one. And very good value at the checkout! Definitely worth trying.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

I have mixed feelings about this one. It started so promising. It poured a beautiful combination of light copper, amber and dark golden. A modest head dissipates into a thin lace that retains throughout. The aroma was my favorite aspect. It smelled of malts, sugar and tropical fruits. I was excited to taste this one, however, the aroma and taste did not really correspond. Althought there is a slight bready, fruity and malty backbone, the intense hops finish is overpowering. The bitterness does not seem to render this a very balanced drink. The feel is good however; a stinging carbonation, medium body. This is a drinkable beer that I would not mind having again, but overall not my favorite.

4.11/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: [4.50] Beer is a dark honey color. It has a nice full finger of head. The head is white (with maybe and orange tinge). I have to say this looks great in the glass. The beer leaves nice lacing on the glass. The ABV is listed at 8.3%. It has a best by date of tomorrow!

S: [4.00] Citrus and pine scents. Some dank and earthy tones in there too.

T: [4.25] Mellow hop presence (maybe tamed by the duration in the bottle). Muted citrus hop notes. There is a solid malt mid-palate. Then a slight hop bittering at the end.

M: [3.75] Good carbonation and mouthfeel. Slightly dry finish - but appropriate for the style.

O: [4.00] This is a solid IPA. It doesn't try to kill you with bitterness - but still highlights nice hop flavor with a good balance of malts. The beer looks nice in the glass. All around a really solid IPA. Will drink again.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This certainly tastes and smells like a Belgian beer. I really enjoyed it as it adds a nice layer of bitter on top of what would be a nice Belgian style ale. I would get this again.

4.07/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First time trying this beer.. I think it's really good. Very mild ipa.. A great mix of beer styles! Great head, nice smooth mouth feel, very well made beer..

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

05/22/13 At Rattle N Hum, NYC, on tap.Listed as an imperial, I should have known what was in store. As an 'unhoppy' guy, this should have been an aggressive assault on the ol' taste buds, but it wasn't. Assertive, sure, but it actually had enough 'manners' to almost (& I emphasize the 'almost') assuage my abject aversion to the "happy in hoppy" philosophy. This is an extremely tasty treat, but I must admit the 4 oz taste I had, was more than enough. God Bless Us One and All.

A bitter one, but she's so good. I may get my pleasure from a variety of beers, but I go home to her. Pours a copper/golden color. Bitter and hoppy flavor with a bit of tang. Pleasant aroma. Alcohol content is up there, but not high as to overpower the flavor. Delicious and soothing.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

A: This beer pours a deep amber - copper color. A nice head hangs on for a few minutes.

S: A bold, initial blast of grapefruit that is complimented well by a touch of this beers strong yeast component. A bit of pepper lingers on the nose afterward.

T: This beer is bold. The grapefruit-citrus nose characteristic is still extremely prevalent, as is a malt aspect. The yeast remains. This beer seems all IPA here. Pepper still lingers, and as it warms up a touch of sweetness exposes itself. There is no doubt that there's a bit of alcohol in this one.

F: This beer holds a great level of carbonation. It has a nice level of body to it, and the ever present alcohol tingle reminds you that this beer is not foolin' around.

O: This is certainly not for everyone, but I like it a lot. It's a fun beer to drink, and one of the few IPA's on the market that is bold enough in my opinion to hold up to the colder months here in New England. The first time I had it I wasn't a huge fan, but is has grown on me.

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

Orange and cloudy.. A/T floral hops, Yeast, woody earthiness, banana and clove.. Very yeasty and astringent.. Not great the taste seems harsh with netiher style really coming out..maybe I'm just not a fan of this style.. Rather have just a ipa or Belgian ale not mixed together.

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

I love IPA's and I love Belgian style beers when you combine the two they are awesome. This beer fell really short on the Belgian side. I didn't really detect any of the clove or fruity esters you get from a Belgian beer. The IPA side was great. Hop aroma and flavor were on the citrus side with a nice hop bite at the end. I would rate this beer a little higher if the Belgian side came out a little stronger.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: fairly clear; bronze colored

Overall: Very tasty, full of hops and Belgian Yeast. Has very bitter after taste. It took me about half the beer to get used to the taste. Very flavorful.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery