Join our email list →

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States | website

Belgian IPA | 8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,119 | Hads: 3,777
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint.

A: Pours a clear copper with a slightly off white head. Produces about a finger of slightly tanned head that recedes quickly, but not too quickly, with good lacing.

S: Interesting hops with some pilsnery tones.

T: Certainly an interesting style, in a good way. Piney hop bitterness with a familiar Belgian yeast flavor.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. Nice clean, dry finish.

D: More drinkable than I would have thought for 8.3%. Good, bordering on sessionable.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

I first tasted it in the bottle, but this review comes from the tap. first of all the bottle version i could taste the fruitiness of the yeast, but from the tap it seem like it was blended well, the yeast didn't tap me here and there.

the appearance was of a golden amber, was poured in a mug, nice half inch head good pour from the bartender.

the smell was invigorating with like some type of candied peach and floral notes

the taste was excellent, very smooth and the bitterness counteracting with the yeast gave a well balance flavor of sweet malts and calm bitterness. delicious,

the mouthfeel was nice not tart, smooth not overpowering of alcohol even at 8.3abv

the drinkability is about two mugs, if you want to respect the beer and to savor its taste.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

Very nice hops profile on the nose. A bit of honey in there as well.

Pretty smooth mouthfeel.

Hops are in the taste. But it doesn't overwhelm the Belgian character which is quite nice. Probably the most interesting aspect of this beer is that it has honey tastes in the finish.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a light copper with tremendously fluffy white head (in large Duvel tulip). Relatively low carbonation.

Nose is interesting and hard to pin down. Hops are at the forefront, but the interplay with the Belgian aspects gets a little muddled.

Hop bitterness dominates the palate, with a little Belgian sweetness in the background. Finishes long and dry.

Overall a pretty nice effort from Flying Dog, who for me is really hit or miss. The abv is well hidden and the crossover style intersting. I wouldn't go out of my way for this one, but would be happy to drink another one if convenient and well-priced.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

Look: 8
Clear amber color, big frothy head, sticky lacing

Smell: 8.5
Herbal, orange marmalade, yeast, grapefruit, banana, clove

Taste: 9
Up Front: Malt, pine, citrus, hops. Finish: spicy, hoppy and slightly malty

Mouthfeel: 8.5
Dry, sticky, and slightly tingly (woopsie!)

Drinkability: 9
Goes down like an IPA, but has the "Belgium Funk" going on. It's like drinking two of my favorite styles in the same glass! I can definitely drink more than one of these bitches!

Overall Impression: This is one of Flying Dogs better offerings! (It's their 20th anniversary beer). I've had this beer with Asian food, and it paired nicely. It was a hard beer to find, so you should try to seek this one out if you like the style. I can't believe they finally named a beer after my ex wife!...DOOOOH!

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a six-pack for somewhere south of $9 in Oconomowoc WI. Opening my first couple tonight, I see it's a visually clear version of the Belgian IPA style, light copper colored with a thin head and no lacing.

The aroma definitely places this as a Belgian IPA, with the characteristically Belgian approach to hopping, more spicy than floral, maybe a little citrusy too. The taste is likewise spicy and fruity, referencing relatively old-school examples such as Urthel Hop-It. Nice lingering bitterness, almost chalky but in a somewhat pleasing way.

I gotta say, this is better than I expected as I haven't been too pleased by most offerings from Flying Dog. This was a good stab at the style, resulting in a beer that satisfies and displays some similarities with the style leaders, but finally is influenced by its American roots as well.

4.36/5  rDev +10.4%

Like many I have been left wanting on alot of Flying Dog brews but this had me wanting MORE!Poured into a small tulip glass a brilliant golden with a sticky one finger white head that left multiple rings of lace as it settled slowly into a creamy froth,excellent.Aromas to me are full of Simcoe goodness,grapefruit rind really takes the forfront,slight yeasty notes but the american hop profile wins the day.The palate is full of citric,oily, hop,ever so slight phenolic spice actually lends well to the big American hops,some peppery notes come in as the beer warms.Easily my favorite of the style to date,not to yeasty and or medicinal,a true mix of American hop,and Belgian yeast,a great beer.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

On tap at the Stag's Head, NYC. Curious about the brewery's take on the style, which I'm starting to get into.

A: Looks like a little bit of heaven in my tulip. A clear dark amber, with a big, foamy white head. That head just will not go away, and leaves major league lacing throughout.

S: The first thing I notice is the Belgian yeast, with the tart spiciness it imparts. The hops are strong and primarily floral. A little citrus maybe. The malt counterbalance is nice and bready. An excellent, complex aroma.

T: The taste is very good, though it didn't floor me the way the smell did. The hops take a bit more of a distinct citrus edge. The malt takes a much bigger role than in the nose, and it's a bit sweeter. The yeast imparts a strong sweetness as well. I was surprised to see the high ABV when I started my review, as the booze is completely hidden.

M/D: Mouthfeel is smooth and silky. Lowish carbonation. Overall, an extremely nice beer from Flying Dog. I'm not super familiar with the style, but it's one I see myself wanting to get more acquainted with.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Big everlasting white head. Its leaving lacing all over. Very nice. The beer is a nice copper. A darker IPA but still right in the normal range.

S- Wow, Really interesting. Very floral, but a unique type of floral. There is yeast and some malts underneath a floral hop presence.

T- Very slight hop bitterness. Mostly this beer is very well balanced, juicy, citrusy, caramel malts and light fruits. Pears and peaches.

M- Dry finish, smooth medium body, mild carbonation.

D- This is a nice beer but for what ever reason I cant see myself drinking more than one. I would have this beer again, but I think I would pick something new over this.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I believe this is just coming to NC and was fortunate to have it on tap at the Liberty Gastropub in Charlotte. this was part of a beer pairing and we enjoyed it with Beer Braised Spicy Boudin Blanc with GrilledArtichokes, Gaelic, Cheese Fondue, & Grilled Peasant Bread. a nice combination to say the least. This is a great style and Flying Dog hits the spot with it. Easy to consume, even for those who are not hophead. Nice color, head, and balance

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

A: A beautiful bourbon brown color. Crystal clear with a nice thick off white head.

S: Gentle Hops, piney with grapefruit. Some nice sweet caramel in there as well, and possibly a bit of fruit.

T: Hops are right up front, and follow the smell. A nice subtle sweet malt flavor, bring up the finish, with hops carrying through the finish. A bit of softness and sweetness from the Belgian Yeast, but not predominant, though some clove and spice notes are in the finish. The alcohol is pretty well hidden.

M: Mouthfeel is quite nice.. there is a certain softness to it that I really enjoy.

D: A nice beer over all, a little too hop forward for me to have everyday, but it still fits the style. I really like the mouth feel, but wish there was a little more sweetness to balance the hops.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a very lightly cloudy orange color with two finger of creamy white head and some good retention time.

Scent of Belgian yeast and sugars, bitter, floral, balancing hops, citrus, and a hint of caramel. One of the best Belgian/American hybrid IPAs I have come across as far as scent goes.

Taste of bitter, piny hops, grass, sugars, orange peel, and light Belgian yeast. This is the best Flying Dog beer I have tried so far, and one of the best Belgian IPAs I have had.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a refreshing bite of carbonation.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle into a Corsendonk tulip pours a crisp bubbly dark orange with a nice frothy eggshell head that lasts and leaces great lacing on the glass.. Aroma is sticky pine hops in front of caramel malts and mild spice. The taste is a very complex blend of sweet caramel malts and bitter pine hops with a nice touch of Belgian spice. The beer is on the heavy side of medium with slight alcohol presence. This one is very enjoyable, likely the best filtered Belgian IPA and the best Flying Dog beer I've had yet.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

This twelve ounce bottle poured into a chimay goblet surprises me with it being a bit darker than expected. The filtered amber body sits below a whitehead that leaves tons of lacing down the glass.

Aromas initially tell me clove-like from the Belgian yeast and Amarillo hops are likely used as well. And not just a smalll amount, but a good heaping portion. I may be wrong about the Amarillo, but that is my initial impression and I am going with it. Yes, after checking the site they are Amarillo. I love Amarillo hops and this aroma is knocking my socks off.

The flavor is sweet and candyish followed by a good wave of hop bitterness that pairs well with the initial sweetness. Grapefruit citrus flavors are what predominate the palate. Alcohol seems to be well hidden, but bigger sips do cause it to show up just a bit.

The mouthfeel is lighter and "fluffy" as I like to say with most Belgians, but for other Belgian IPAs I have tried this one seems to be a bit lighter.

Drinkability is decent for the style. It is definitely a sipper, but with enough time one could enjoy this beer and later go back for another. RB is a nice addition to what Flying Dog has been putting out in seasonal mixed packs.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Had 2-26-10. Served at about 48-50 degrees in a standard pint glass.

Notes from the tasting:

Appearance: Poured golden amber, 1 1/2 finger head of very tiny and sticky bubbles, receded very slowly and left lacing through the whole glass.

Smell: Spicy Belgian yeast, little citrusy hop, bready malt, little bit of caramel sweetness.

Taste: Belgian yeast is predominate, little piney/citrusy hop, caramel malt sweetness, little bit of a biscuity doughy malt behind the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: One word to sum this up, IMO: PERFECT. Creamy, silky smooth carbonation and such a clean finish. I wish every beer had this kind of mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Good, if you can get past the yeast. Belgian yeast is very unique (and I mean that in a good way). Some may like it, some may hate it. I like it.

Other notes: This beer reminded me of Ommegang Hennepin, but with better malt, and with a much better mouthfeel. Taste, I'd give to the Hennepin (not by much though). This is a good beer. If you like Belgians, you can't go wrong to try it. Just don't expect it to be an actual perfect Belgian :)

Kef

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Light to medium amber orange color. Decent sized frothy head with a beige tinted ivory color. Decent retention and a good amount of lace left.

S - A lot of grapefruit. Good amount of orange, pineapple, apricot, peach smells as well. Decent amount of pine and floral scents too. Also has a faint Belgian yeast.

T - More malt than the nose suggested. A little caramel but mostly a bready malt with Belgian yeast. This makes the backbone of the beer, and while not prominent, is more than the nose suggested. On top of this is a good amount of pine and floral/herbal hops along with some of the fruits mentioned above. The fruits are more faint in taste than in the nose, but still have a good presence. A bit more citrus than tropical fruits and they have a slight candied taste. Fair amount of alcohol also comes through.

M - Medium body with good carbonation. Slight stickiness and drying finish.

D - Good drinkability with the flavors pretty balanced and a good diversity of flavors. The smell keeps me wanting more to quench the drying finish. Enjoyable to drink, but the ABV is slightly high to have multiple beers.

Notes: Good beer that seems like a bready American IPA with Belgian yeast. Enjoyable mix of flavors with a lot of different flavors present. Not the most hop forward beer I have had, but hops are the stars.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Raging Bitch pours an attractive apricot color. It's very clear. Not a bit of haze on the scene. It's capped with an off-white head that rises to about two fingers in depth. It recedes slowly and leaves a moderate amount of sticky lace trailing down the glass.

The nose is a little weak and underpowered. It kicks off with a toasted malt scent. Not my favorite thing. Hops are rather pronounced and feature citrus scents of orange, mango, and light grapefruit. There's a spicy side to the hops. It's not bad, but I'm not a huge fan of that either. It smells sweet and a little sugary. Unfortunately, I'm not getting much Belgian yeast. That's disappointing. Alcohol is pretty well held in check. It's not bad. But, it's very average for a Belgian IPA.

The flavor fares a little better. It is sweet and sugary up front. It tastes like a mix of caramel and pale malts. There's a toasted malt flavor that I'm not crazy about. It's alright, but doesn't add anything. The hops taste primarily spicy, but have some citrus orange and mango flavors, as well. I could've done without the spicy side, but it doesn't severely damage the overall flavor. Belgian yeast is more prominent in flavor. Frankly, that's why it tastes better than it smells. However, that great flavor is negated to a degree by the spicy hop flavor. Two steps forward, one step back. Alcohol is blended well and never seems that strong. It finishes spicy, bitter, and dry.

Raging Bitch has a medium body that is smooth. Carbonation seems light, but the spiciness of the hops confuses that aspect a little. Nonetheless, it has a nice feel. Drinkability is above average. It's alright. Goes down easy enough, but if I wanted a Belgian IPA, there's quite a few that are materially better than this one.

Flying Dog is one of those breweries that doesn't really stand out for me. They brew some alright beer, but Horn Dog is the one only star in their roster. I had high hopes for Raging Bitch, but it's just not my ideal Belgian IPA. The spicy hops seem to negate some other positive qualities that are here. Same goes for the toasted malt flavor. They just seem out of place to me. It's alright, and is worth a try. But, this bitch is just alright.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Slightly dark tint with a thin head and slight carbonation. I was impressed by the flavor. I expected more of a Belgian but it tastes much more like and IPA (of which I am particuarly partial of). The ABV is high so you need to watch out for this one sneaking up on you. Right now it is on my regular list.

3.37/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a slightly cloudy pumpkin hued amber with a small frothy head that falls leaving a coating of lacing.

The smell is inoculated with a rush of fruity yeasty goodness. Sweet belgian yeast followed by a dingy, sort of sour funk along with a less than noticeable citrusy hop profile that is covered up by the bready forefront.

The taste is amazingly hop forward, spicy, then sweet, then fruity bitter oranges attack. Some sweet bread-like flavors and then a bunch of booze. This is not an aggressive, sharp booziness, but it is strong and rides the hop profile into the mildly bitter finish.

The mouthfeel moderately light and strangely coating. Perfect carbonation makes this one feel very nice in my mouth.

Overall, I didn't taste a ton of Belgian influence in this brew. As one of my favorite styles, Raging Bitch makes an alright showing. Very drinkable Bel-IPA (and strong to boot) but fell a bit short in my eyes.

4.62/5  rDev +17%

C. Perfectly clear
H. Amber, sort of burnt orange
N. Whoaaaa hops!

Wow, this beer is properly named...she really is a bitch. Great banana notes from the yeast, strong hops and a little kick of sweetness not sure if its from the yeast or malt. This is a fun beer, but be careful and watch your tone, cause you just might get slapped in the mouth from this Raging Bitch.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Ordered a shaker pint from Trolley Stop in Dayton, OH. First glass out of the newly tapped keg, which could be good or bad depending on their practices. Have not had this out of the bottle yet either, so this is a first impression review.

A- Presented with an inch of long lasting off-white, creamy head that slowly slides down the glass, leaving a sticky lacing. Shows a slightly hazy, deep amber with brown in the deeper parts of the glass. When held up to light, the haze stays, but the thinner parts of the glass show an orange color. Very little visible carbonation for a Belgian. Leaves great lacing as it is consumed.

S- Large amount of citrus hops- grapefruit, orange, lime, etc., that give this a very fresh aroma. A spicy belgian background is overtaken by the hop character. A lot of witbier influence.

T- Citrus and pine hop flavor and bitterness up front, with a clashing spicy belgian character in the middle. Some coriander-like flavor in there, similar to a witbier. The yeast character almost tastes like a spicy saison. Hot in the finish and aftertaste.

M- Big bodied, medium carbonation, with a big finish that only seems dry because of the bitterness. For 8.3% and a "Belgian", I'm not sure this needs to be so big. If this was drier with more carbonation, it might be more drinkable...

D- Not much drinkability. Hot in the finish. One of the toughest quasi-categories to brew right now since I don't think anyone has mastered it yet, but this is a good try and I think the intensity and ingenuity is there.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

A - A lovely light orange/copper color with a good two-fingers worth of fluffy head. Head retention is great and leaves well above average lacing. A small foam ring lasts the whole glass. The clarity of the beer is somewhat hazy(yeast/hops).

S - Pine, pungent grapefruit, light malt, clove, banana, tropical fruit(pineapple), and just the tiniest hint of barnyard. Very nice!

T - The flavor matches the aroma traits, but with the hops playing a slightly larger role than the esters and phenols of the Belgian yeast. All in all a very balanced beer when it comes to flavor.

M - Creamy feel with a steady carbonation and a hoppy, dry finish.

D/O - I'm really digging the marriage of American IPA and Belgian yeast flavors in this brew. This beer is one helluva a surprise from the guys at Flying Dog. It's easy to find, tasty, and reasonably priced. I'm definitely going to seek out a another sixer of this before it's all gone. I just hope FD adds this beer to its regular rotation. Highly recommended. Cheers.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Nice golden color with two fingers of white head that stick to the bottom of the glass.

S - One of the best balanced Belgian IPAs I have smelled. There is a hop forward aroma but also a lot of Belgian yeast and esters in the aroma.

T - Fantastic mix of both yeast and hops. At the front of the taste there is all the Belgian fruity esters, but right in the middle of the sip there is a strong hop bite. Fantastically well balanced taste.

M/D - Mouthfeel is full but not cloying, this is very drinkable if you don't mind lots of belgian esters and hops.

If you like a good example of a Belgian IPA, pick this one up!

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Pours a brilliant reddish-orange with a blast of bubble activity that results in a giant fluffy off-white head that does not want to dissipate. A thick lace rings the glass when all is said and done. Nose is filled with sharp citrusy hops, some orange peel in the middle and a slight mustiness poking through as it warms. Tastes spicy, with a vein of grapefruit running through and enveloped in some big hops. Goes down a bit dry with a little chalkiness coating the palatte. Medium-bodied with big carbonation and a subtle alcohol heat which appears randomly throughout the session. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Flying Dog is either right on the money, or way the hell out in left field with their beers. This one almost hits the jackpot.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours hop hazed burnt orange, decent creamy head with ok lacing. Smells of phenols, citrus, grapefruit mostly, spicy cinnamon, some floral notes. Tastes of sweet spicy malt with a pronounced pineapple and grapefruit like hoppiness. Fairly pronounced bitterness finishing with belgian yeast phenols and tropical fruits. Pretty dry finish, medium mouthfeel, alcohol barely noticable.

A really nice beer, very bold flavors and aromas. I really enjoyed the inclusion of Pacific Northwest hops here, really brings great dimension and works beatifully with the belgian yeast flavors. A great surprise, highly recommend.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery