Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,111 | Hads: 3,720
3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Poured 12oz bottle into snifter. Hazy deep orange, almost a light brown at the top of the snifter and lets more light through at the bottom to a burnt orange color. Pours a 1/2" head that dissipates to leave a slight head covering throughout that leaves a nice lacing throughout the glass.

S - Sweeter fruit like peaches are around along with the belgian yeast aroma.

T - Tastes of sweet fruit with the smoothness of the belgian yeast that follows with some malt balance and a slight bittnerness that follows in the aftertaste but doesn't stick around.

M - Smooth mouthfeel with slight carbonation.

D - Very drinkable for the 8.3% ABV. I'm on my 2nd 6-pack since it came out a month or so ago and each of the 6-packs last a couple weeks with other beers being drank in between. So basically it's not a pounder.

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

A: dark blond to light amber color. Light haze.

S: pine hop aroma. some sweetness in the aroma too, fruity like lichee and peach.

T: Mainly bitter, in aftertaste some malttaste comes in the taste. Misses the fruitiness of the aroma in the taste. A bit one dimensional thrue this lack of body.

Alc 8,3% best before dec 2010.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

In my tulip glass this beer was a gold color with a thick, white, sticky head. A nice aroma of citrus and pine. Yeast was also noticeable, coming across as a woodsy odor. Unique taste: grapefruit and pine tempered by the Belgian yeast. I really enjoyed this beer. My only small criticism was a rather sharp, metallic mouthfeel.

Poured orange-copper-amber color with white 2 finger head. Aroma is unique, Belgian yeast but with American citrus hops. Tase is the same but with some added spicyness, and some fruity flavor such as pineapple and peach. Mouthfell is a nice smooth medium.

Overall this is a unique beer, I have never had a Belgian ipa before bit this is a very good, comex beer.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Chimay glass at around 55 degrees.

A: Golden to pale amber with a good two finger creamy white head. Lots of fine lacing.

S: Very champagne like at first, then some grapefruit and piney aromas poke through as the glass warms.

T: Amazing. Lots of citrusy flavors, yeasty, spicy and a nice hoppy finish.

M: Smooth

D: This one is highly drinkable for me. Very smooth. I could easily put back 2-3 of these in a sitting.

I have never really been drawn to Flying Dog before but this one changed that for me. This is an amazing brew that I hope makes it into the seasonal line. I hate to think this is a one time brew.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Served on-tap in a 20 oz straight-sloped glass.

A: Golden-reddish hue, with a frothy thick film.
S: Tangerine toasted malts. Not very much aroma as far as the hops and yeast go.
T: What you'd expect from the aroma, but throw in spicy, citrus hops. The hops linger.
M: Very frothy but crisp on account of the hops.
D: It's drinkable, but not as much so as many other Beglian IPAs I've had. The 20 oz serving was more than enough.

This is a solid beer, but it certainly isn't the best Belgian IPA I've had. If you have the opportunity, give it a try.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

12 ounce bottle, best by June 5, 2010. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a hazy orange/amber color with about a half inch off white head that went away quickly. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is great, it's sweet, fruity and hoppy. It smells like pine and citrus hops, tropical fruit, candy sugar, Belgian yeast, caramel and peppery spice. No one aroma overpowers the others. However, the hops are stronger in the taste at first. Once the beer warms up more, the flavors start to balance out. It tastes like pine and citrusy hops, peppery spice, yeast, and bready and caramel malt. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's a bit slick and is well carbonated. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink. I think this is a good overall brew, one of the best I've had from Flying Dog in a while!

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Excellent. Three finger head. Tons of carbonation, clear copper coler

S - You can definitely smell the Belgium yeast! Complex, citrus tones, yeasty, fruity, hoppy.

T - Very nice. Smooth. You can taste the hops at the end but not overpowering. No indication of the 8.3% alcohol. Very nice balance

M - High Carbonation. Pleasant mouth feel.

D - Excellent.

Glad I got a 6 pack of it!

A - pours a slightly cloudy orange color with a bit of creamy looking head that leaves some lacing
S - big pine resin nose, with hints of spices - ginger and nutmeg possibly
T - taste is huge on the pine resin with a nice malt backing, some floral notes, and spices. It's like crushing up a bunch of concolor fir needles and eating them...but way better.
M - Full-bodied, smooth, crisp with some nice tingly carbonation
D - I'm not sure how many of these I could have in a row, maybe 2, but damn it's such a great ale and I wouldn't expect a beer of this size to be any more drinkable.

Much different from a bottle and I must say it's far superior on tap. Color is more transparent, less lace. Taste is overly bitter and has less Belgian qualities.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Belgian, you say? IPA, you say? Right up my alley.

I tend to like everything (including white wine) warmer, and this is no exception-- however, even though it is harsher colder, i'll happily drink it fridge-chilled. It's an easier drink warmer; if the initial bite when fresh out of a cold place wasn't there, I would have rated it higher in drinkability.

It's a pretty color, foamy clear head, and evenly spaced lacing. I loved the bitter hoppy character, and the sweetness of the Belgian was a welcome counterpoint.

Since this is a 20th anniversary beer, I will try to find what I can and hope it gets put into regular rotation.

Belgian style IPA? Flying Dog? Named Raging Bitch? Come on.
Make sure this isn't too cold because the Belgian and IPA flavors don't work too well together at that point. The bitter of the IPA and the yeast characters are too obtuse. Warmer, these characteristics meld much better forming a smoother composition. The hops are ultimately dominant, as one might expect from a Flying Dog beer, but the Belgian aspects smooth things over in the mouthfeel and round things out.
This is a fine anniversary ale but I do hope that Flying Dog puts this within the regular rotation.

3.07/5  rDev -22.3%

Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA was a crystal clear amber with a one-inch beige head that faded to a collar.

The aroma was so pine hoppy that it strongly reminded me of turpentine.

Thankfully, the taste did not follow suit with the aroma. Definitely hoppy, but a more normal citrus flavor.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with sufficient carbonation.

Drinkability was only average; the aroma was a big turn off for me.

I am not looking forward to the remaining 5 bottles of the sixer I bought.

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip.
A: Pours a nice cloudy yellow-orange with moderation carbonation producing a nice 2-3 inch billowy white head. Excellent retention and lacing.
S: Honey, sharp (but not too sharp) grainy hops, hint of soft pine and mild citrus notes. Very nice.
T: Wow! Sweet melon and hint of caramel malt gives way to strong piney hops and citrus notes. There is certainly more than this going on...very complex. Hint of watermelon, pineapple, and belgian spices with warming.
M: I love it when you get such variety of tastes throughout each individual quaff. You can feel the beer move from the front of the mouth, over the tongue, and down into the esophagus...and each location brings new experience and enjoyment. Light body with some effevescence. Refreshing feel. Smooth at first, giving way to moderate hop-bite finish which lingers nicely.
D: For my tastes, the ABV is perfect. Gives it just enough heft, but not too much to knock you on the floor. Very drinkable, very enjoyable. Definitely check this brew out. An interesting style too. Cheers to Flying Dog.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Much has been made about the controversal name, but I care more about the contents inside. Time to drink with a burrito bought at Chipotle. On to the beer:

Deep orange color, it shines beautifully in the tulip glass. The head forms over a finger's thick, and is showing some great head retention. Very nicely hopped is the aroma. Fresh, juicy, floral, hops. With the twist of horse blanket. I like a lot.

Of all the Begian IPA's I've had, this is definately the one with the most "American tasting hops". Fresh hops again. They provide a squirt of juice and fresh floral notes. A little bready plus honey, some crackery malt, then add that funky blanket which dries out your palate. Lemon peel is noted. Alcohol...that's nowhere. Wait, it's 8.3%? Crisp and refreshing, and very drinkable.

When I think of Flying Dog beers, I think of ugly labels with middle-of-the-road craft beer. Raging Bitch has the ugly label, but is easily the best of the Flying Dog brand I've had to date. Highly recommended.

Oh, and it's a decent pair with my burrito from Chipotle.

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a golden/yellow/orange, with a consistent 1.5 finger head.

Hop characteristics are bright, and forward... as you would expect. The overal scent is of banana, fig, and cherry for me. Smells great.

Smooth, balanced taste. The spiciness of the style goes great with the additional hops.

Overal a great beer to drink and share with your BA buddies.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a nice orangish brown with a silky beige head. Perfect, lacy head.

Nose has floral and green hops over candy malts, peppery Belgian yeast and tropical fruits.

Taste has bitter hops up front and through the finish. Well balanced by fruity malts, toffee, spicy yeast and caramel.

Medium body is well carboneated. Nice hoppy finish. One of Flying Dog's better offerings.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Raging Bitch from Flying Dog Brewery Belgian IPA 8.3% alcohol. Bottle is decorated in skin colored hues with crazy dog on the front looking mad as hell.

A- Pours an extremely hued glowing golden orange fluid with nice off white head that falls to a fair amount of froth and ring around glass. Decent sticking lacing on the walls of the glass.

S- Wow nice floral hop scents remind you of a bouquet of fresh cut roses and sweet babys breathe. Bready yeasty fumes follow along with alcohol light to none malts.

T-M- Well a pretty bland taste of what it smells like but still puts up some bite. Upfront is a piney, earthy hop bitterness with mild sweet grain-like sweetness. Second is a fusel alcohol warmth that heats up the buds leaving a tarty yeasty film on the tongue. Mouthfeel is mild to medium but light carbonation and danky hop presence does pose a threat to drinkability.

D- Its different and quite unique with various Belgian like charactors but possibly exagerated.
At a decent price may buy again.

4.7/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Amber/gold in color with a huge cloud deck of foam
Aroma-Big, citrussy hops(my favorite), and spice notes
Taste-Big, juicy hops, citrus, spicy, and a bit of Belgian funkiness
Overall: Nicely balanced, aromatic, full of juicy hop flavor and a touch of Belgian spiciness-A top notch representation of the style, and very drinkable for the strength
Get Some!!

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Dark, somewhat hazy amber. Rocky two-finger off-white head hangs around and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Piney hops hit my nose at first, followed by grapefruit and oranges. Peppery spices from the yeast lurk at the edges.

Taste: The hops are definitely front and center - and tasty. The peppery notes follow, along with some bready malts. I wouldn't necessarily call the beer "balanced" in the traditional sense, but it all works together very well.

Mouthfeel: Relatively high carbonation works here, although it might be interesting to try this with a little less zip - it might mellow it out further.

Drinkability: Pretty high if you like hops; there's no question that it's far more drinkable than some of the very aggressively hopped IPAs and DIPAs out there.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz. bottle served in my ST tulip. Poured a translucent golden orange with a creamy, 1.5 inch off-white head. Copious tiny bubbles present effervescing in solution. Head eventually settles into a half inch cap with delicate, semi-concentric bands of lacing formed as the brew recedes. Nose presents with some citrusy sweet hops initially, but as you tease the aromas out there's something else there, perhaps herbal or candi sugar or both. Taste consistent with nose; however, the citrusy sweetness is there, but well masked. Herbal quality expresses itself as somewhat bitter and lingers between quaffs (maybe anise), and I still think there's some candi sugar in there. Mouthfeel is medium-light and very lively, just shy of prickly with a fairly dry finish. A very interesting and tasty beer - better than I expected, but I found it a little tough on the palette. Nonetheless, probably my favorite example of the style; not that I've had many. Well worth trying this one if you have the opportunity.

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

This was our January BOTM selection.
It poured a beautiful gold with an active head the settles into a nice cap that hangs on.
I am starting to appreciate this very piney hop aroma.
The taste begins as a vanilla cream and the pine tasting hops explode and really take over.
This is far from my favorite style but I can enjoy one of these from time to time.

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

Slightly hazy amber with a whipped off white head. Lots of pine, grapefruit, and orange initially in the nose. Digging a little deeper you get some banana, spice, and caramel. Resiny pine right off the bat in the taste. Lots of bubblegum leads to banana and clove. Bitter citrus hops on the finish. There's also a vanilla note that pops up here and there. I absolutely love this stuff. I'm a big fan of Belgian influenced brews as well as IPA's so a combo is right up my alley. Just a hint of warming alcohol, but it's felt rather than tasted. Superbly drinkable.

*A couple sixers later and, after going back and forth a few times, I'm bumping this score up a touch. I keep waffling as to give this a five or not. Right now this is the best beer I've drank as far as my buds are concerned. If I have to add, I'd mention that the bubblegum really comes in after a few of these

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful amber color with a head that is just okay. Tons of citrus hop aroma. Ruby red grapefruit, a little bit of spiciness and a touch of bready sweetness. The taste is surprisingly sweet and catches me off guard. Definitely plenty of grapefruit and pine hop taste, and some black pepper/clove but the bitterness, while there, is not as evident. This beer has a lot of slightly carmely malt sweetness, yet still maintains a finish that is not too sticky. This beer is on the lighter side of medium bodied and I find that mouthfeel fairly smooth and pleasing, though I find myself wishing it was a bit more carbonated. Despite any shortcomings I feel like this is a beer that I could drink quite a few of, and would enjoy doing so. A nice change of pace from other American made IPAs.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed from the 750ml corked and caged commemorative edition. Cage fits quite loosely, but upon trying to pull the cork out, I realized I didn't have to worry. I had to ask the wine Rabbit for assistance with this one; it wouldn't budge. When I finally extracted the cork. Pours like a darker-gold double IPA into my tulip glass, with a bunch of foam that sticks well. The Bitch is a looker. A couple decent-sized floaties are stuck in the foam, though, or else it'd be a 5.

Hop aroma here (and it's pretty much all hop aroma) is mainly dank, flinty skunk weed. Good.

Well, this is a showcase of weed-y, citrus American hops. More American Extra IPA-ish than anything else, in my opinion. The only nods to Belgian-ness I get here are a slight peppery character and a little residual sugar (candi sugar)? Reminds me more than a bit of Stone Cali-Belgique, but the emphasis here is on the Cali part. Tastes like a good IPA fermented with a not terribly aggressive Belgian yeast.

Feel does not approximate the luxurious softness of something like Houblon Chouffe, but it's a pretty strong effort for an American take on this style.

This is an excellent beer, probably Flying Dog's best. I won't rate this as highly as some of you, but I understand why it is getting rave reviews. If you like just a little Belgian-ness in your IPA, this is your beer.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a yeast induced hazy and deep amber with a steady but not heavy carbonation stream. The head is large and off-white with nice lacing and decent retention.
The smell starts off with lemon hoppiness followed by the Belgian yeast and a pleasant spiciness.
The taste starts with the earthy yeast and malt with a clove spice and ends with the citrus and a dose of bitterness.
Mouthfeel is right in the middle with more than adequate carbonation and not drying.
Drinkability is good, easy to finish though not a quick drinking beer. This one seems to really hit the major points for the style though not necessarily dead on. It's a good beer from FD and worth a try especially if the style interests you.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery