1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPARaging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,713 | Reviews: 1,028 | Show All Ratings:
BasementBrewerSF

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a nice golden color with nice head from a 12oz bottle.

Very nice nose. Almost exactly what I would expect from a blegian IPA. You have the hop forwardness of an IPA but the esters and phenols of a blegian ale.

The taste is that of pouring an IPA and a blegian ale together. I am not sure I like the outcome. It is interesting but the hops do not complement the yeast character. They are almost opposing. At 8.4% abv it is a little hot for a traditional IPA and more in line with a Belgian Double or Tripple.

I really like the idea of mashing these styles together but I am still warry of it working well.

Not sure if I would buy this again for myself. Maybe for an IPA party. It is pretty interesting all in all.

08-01-2011 01:30:04 | More by BasementBrewerSF
Brutmasta

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into a tulip, this beer was $15 for a damn six pack, let's find out if it's worth it.

A-Hazy with a slight golden/bronze color, nice 2 and a half finger head. The head is really sticking around too, which is a big deal to me.

S-This beer smells really really good, the hops aren't overwhelming, I'm getting a lot of citrus and earthy tones also.

T-I get the citrus and earth tones at the beginning, taste just like it smells. The hop bitterness doesn't come till the end and I've got to tell ya, it's almost perfect.

M-A tad on the light side, but not too light where you feel your not drinking a beer at all, goes down really smooth and coats the mouth and throat pretty nicely,

O-An excellent beer, the best one I've had from Flying Dog. All the characteristics fit together almost perfectly, it's a bit pricey but if you can fork out the extra change it is totally worth it!!

08-05-2011 01:32:38 | More by Brutmasta
akk101

3.9/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle into pint glass

Glad to grab a 6 pack while they are still available. Head is short lived into minimal lacing on the glass edge. Copper color is a bit darker than one would expect given the taste. Aroma is complex but dominated by hops that are present throughout smell and taste. Pronounced bitterness with dry finish. Best of both worlds for those who like belgians and hops.

11-07-2011 05:43:45 | More by akk101
notlob

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Oh man, this is good.

Aroma: Rich, caramel maltiness. Hops are pungently piney and a little like cat-pee. A little fusel alcohol in the end.

Appearance: A very nice dark orange. Pours brilliantly clear with about a half-finger of delicate white head.

Flavor: Incredibly dank, piney, and citrusy, with a slight caramel maltiness, and with cloves and some spicy notes in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very light and dry, with very little initial or residual sweetness. Nice and resinous. Medium-high carbonation.

Overall impression: One big yes. Very interesting and intense beer. Not very complex on its face, but very interesting how it all comes together. Definitely raging.

12-30-2009 21:22:40 | More by notlob
ajbick

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Poured gold/orange in color with a white head.

Smells citrus/grapefruit and woody (pine?) and with hints of maltiness.

Taste is slight caramel up front, finishes with roasted malt. Grapefruit/citrus and slight spice throughout.

Mouthfeel is carbonated and crisp with dry finish.

A very interesting beer. The Belgian-style was pretty subtle, but loved the hop aroma and flavor. Overall a great beer.

01-06-2010 01:09:13 | More by ajbick
ianmhall

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +11%

An amazing beer... I'm a huge fan of serious hop; I've lived in CT for just over a year and have yet to find an IPA that knocked me on my hind region... look no further. I'm am in love with this rich and hoppy beer. Totally sexy with licorice, walnut and hazelnut a grassy minty floral middle with a crisp honey and caramel malt finish...

03-29-2010 22:50:27 | More by ianmhall
LittleOtts

Delaware

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

A- Bottle to a pt. It pours a caramel amber color. Not a huge head.

S- Citrusy and yeasty, not much in the way of hops.

T- Either complex hops or just a fruity/spicey yeasts. Biscuity malt on the back.

M- Med bodied and good carbonation

D- Med. When looking for IPA this isn't it. But it's interesting and has great flavor inspired by a belgian style.

04-04-2011 20:12:09 | More by LittleOtts
TheBlueWaffle

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Dark orange, off white head, significant lacing

S - My favorite part of this beer. Spicy citrus, unlike anything I've smelled before

T - The taste seems to clash between the citrus hops and Belgian yeast. Some malt is present. Bitter after taste.

M - Smooth, high carbonation

O - I love this beer because it opened me up to a whole new world of styles. Flying Dog is a decent brewery, if you were going to try any of their brews this should be the one.

04-04-2012 03:57:08 | More by TheBlueWaffle
GeeL

2.03/5  rDev -47.9%

I want to like Belgian IPAs, I really do. This one makes it tough...

A: Hazy. A little filtering would have been nice. My home brews aren't this cloudy.

S: Citrus, musty/earthy, funky like Belgian brews, floral and hoppy.

T: Not balanced. This beer has issues. There is too much competition between the flavors and the styles. I'm going to struggle to finish the 6-pack.

M: Spot on Belgian and IPA... Carbonated but doesn't sting.

O: Not buying this again.

11-06-2012 23:44:47 | More by GeeL
ezterry

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Nice crystal clear amber color with a nice bit of lacing

S: Inviting citrus hop smell but not overpowering

T: Starts with a hint of sweetness, but well balanced with bitter tones, Hops present but well balanced with the strong beverage

M: Allows to taste the beverage well, good carbonation slightly hint of syrup. Sightly more carbonation might be optimal

O: A very well balanced IPA, high alcohol seems to come across as the "hint of sweet" at the beginning, however the hops/high malt content complement each other well, and the hop flavor/aroma has been made such to be defiantly present but not overpowering.

A good beer for the evening worth getting again.

07-16-2013 21:13:28 | More by ezterry
harvester

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

Was turned on to this by my buddy at the Bodega I am glad that he did. I also got to give a shout out to the guys at flying dog. I love your art work, You guys rock !

A- Very clean gold amber with a nice white head not to thick leaving a nice web of lacing down the glass

S- I get the sweet scent of citrus backed with malts and a earthy hoppy finish

T- The malt and yeast come through first finishing out with a nice blast of hops and a hint of spice maybee cloves or all spice

M- Medium bodied very nice carbonation also has a nice creamy texture to it and a nice hope bite very interesting on the palet

D- This is a great one you get the best of both worlds tied into one. Great winter warmer hides the 8.3 very well! I would like to go drink a sixer of this in the Tahoe snow...

01-11-2010 19:23:04 | More by harvester
Symptomu

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Raging Bitch looks like a pretty standard IPA when poured into a pint glass. Some good head and lacing.

The aroma is quite intensely citrus and hoppy and gives you a good idea of what you are in for.

Taste is good and bitter with bold splashes of orange and white grapefruit.

The hops seem a bit beyond the 60IBU's and this contributes to an exceptionally dry mouthfeel. Very astringent and cleansing.

Drinkability is good on its own but this really should be paired with some good spicy food.

06-07-2010 19:28:58 | More by Symptomu
washingtonydc

District of Columbia

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Flying Dog is a bit like my own shadow--it'll follow me here, it'll follow me there. When I'm in Colorado, it's beside me. When I'm in Maryland, look, it's there too. So I have a certain affinity for a brewery that cares enough to keep up with my travels. This affinity certainly encompasses their take on the latest beer style à la mode (and of course I mean the latest fashion--not the latest beer float).

Pouring from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass, it's a clear golden amber with a thick, creamy, off-white head. It gives off a wonderful, very bright aroma of fresh pine. That promise of pine certainly lives up when tasting it for the first time--resiny hops fill the palate, but it subsides into a malty, caramel finish with a deeply satisfying alcohol undercurrent. It's a well-bodied beer that's neither too light nor too heavy. It may not be entirely sessionable--it can be a bit intense--but it's certainly a rather enjoyable experience.

06-11-2010 23:34:59 | More by washingtonydc
verge

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance - Deep orange-ish ruby color. Very nice inch white head and bubbles bursting everywhere in the rest of the glass. Love this color when I pour a beer.

Smell - Fruity hops. Sometimes you smell musty alcohol, sometimes you smell coffee, but this was delicious sweet hops. I knew I would like it as soon as I smelled it.

Taste - Belgian IPA indeed! I feel like the name says it all. The first taste you get is American-style IPA hops, but in less than a moment you taste that Belgian yeast. WOW! What a combination! I love Belgian beers, but usually stray from them cause they don't have that bitter aftertaste that hooks me. Until now! This is a superb tasting brew. Just lovely.

Mouthfeel - The taste slammed me so much I didn't even think about the mouthfeel...until later. I drank this slowly while attempting to record vocals for a new song, and I noticed how syrupy my mouth was! Nice and thick feeling, you definitely feel like you are drinking something with substance.

Drinkability - Excellent. I finished it 10 minutes ago and that beautiful aftertaste is still there. The Belgian sweetness smooths out the hops just enough to make this heaven in a bottle. My first drink in this style...I'm an instant fan.

This is an instant classic for me. Top 10 ever, possibly top 5. TRY THIS!

11-12-2010 02:52:42 | More by verge
Jeffro96

Georgia

2.08/5  rDev -46.7%

Poured from 12once bottle in to pint.

Nice red gold coloring inch of think head that hung around fairly well.

Smelled of hops hops and hops... and pine tree maybe.

At first taste it was bitter with tastes of pine and maybe citrus as the beer went on the tastes became harder to define and left me wondering where this beer was going. At least the taste of the alcohol was subdued.

The mouth-feel was pleasant and carbonated but nothing special.

while this wont be my last Flying Dog brew it will be my last Raging Bitch!

01-17-2011 05:45:04 | More by Jeffro96
jthomp000

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance - Copper color with a thin layer of head.

Smell - The hop smell is fantastic from the time I opened the bottle.

Taste - The hops went away under the taste of a variety of spices.

Mouthfeel - Ligth carbonation tickled the tongue

Overall - Very good and highly enjoyable. I have yet to be disappointed from a Flying Dog brew as of yet!

04-18-2011 22:19:52 | More by jthomp000
Greenmachine07

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

A-like you would expect, light clear no real head

S-very hoppy, searching for something more and yet i just get hops which is not bad, but i like some depth.

T-hops BAM, very bitter and hop filled, notes of pine tword the end and a trace of balance, but it very much is and IPA and the taste shows.

O-if you like hopes and not to much balance it is good. i would not recommend it if you are just venturing down the IPA road, but its a good drink and i would get it again

Decent price decent beer. there are more balanced IPAs and ones with more hops, but this one gets the hops down but leaves me wanting some character/depth

07-18-2012 00:42:55 | More by Greenmachine07
LaChaBennDotcom

Barbados

4.8/5  rDev +23.1%

I was at a beer snob party: eveyone brings one or two unique 6 packs (or 1 4 pack or 12 pack, you get it) and we drink and whatever else.
I tried this at 7. By 10 i'd driven to the store the and bought the last two packs they had available.
Flying Dog impresses again.
Appearance: amber in color, nice head that doesn't stay up long. Some lace was left in the cup.

Smell: sweet, crisp, slightly miss leading because it smells like a Belgian style beer, when this is far from any Belgian style i've had.

Taste: the most important part. Starts out smooth, ends with the 60 IBU it is packing.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful, but if you do not like bitter beers, but you like Belgian-style beers, don't try to fool yourself into thinking this is one of them. This is an IPA before it is a "Belgian-Style" beer-- no oranges here. Just Hops Hops and Hops.

Drinkablility- For me the best. I have zero dislikes about this beer, but I stand behind what I said previously: This is an IPA before it is a "Belgian-style."

Cheers.

01-17-2010 15:06:15 | More by LaChaBennDotcom
BlazmoIntoWowee

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Full disclosure: I bought a variety case of Flying Dog some years back and didn't like a single bottle. Still, I heard the positive buzz on this brew and picked it up.

Appearance: Wow. Every color of golden tan in a gradiated spectrum leading up to a finger of cream-colored head. So beautiful it's now the background of my cell phone.

Smell: Some citrus, with a hint of pine and floral notes mixed with an earthy spiciness. I also pick up some over ripe tropical fruit. Fantastic combination.

Taste: Homina, homina, homina. So delicious. The hops contribute citrus, the yeast is Belgian funk with a hint of bubblegum (thank god, not too much), there is a malt-y almost corn tortilla background with peppery spice weaving in and out. Complex, but not bash you over the head gonzo. Throughout the glass it gains some spiciness and loses some hops/malt, otherwise this Bitch would get a straight 5.0.

Mouthfeel: Lovely. Thick without being cloying and nicely carbonated. Perfect complement for the taste.

Drinkability: A little too high on the ABV to go any higher on the drinkability, but boy did it go down easy. I'm wishing I had another, which is always a good sign.

Overall: A hell of a brew that's going to make me have to rethink my stance on Flying Dog in general.

01-20-2010 03:16:33 | More by BlazmoIntoWowee
Tombomb

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

The beer had a nice amber color, with a generous head that is nice and thick. Left some lacing on the glass, obvious of the IPA roots.

S: Hops and flowers only a little of the malt come through

T: Interesting. It starts out like a nice belgian, but the hops kick in pretty quickly. I'm not sure I like them together. The after-taste is hoppy and lingering of grapefruit.

M: Nice feel in the mouth. The carbonation is just right

D: Not sure if I like this one or not. I had one and would not follow it with another one. I felt like I needed a different beer or a glass of water after drinking it.

Cool experience, I won't be buying this one again anytime soon.

01-29-2010 18:30:29 | More by Tombomb
ronny

Alabama

4.68/5  rDev +20%

Listed by the brewer as an American style IPA with the add of Belgian yeast. Pours beautifully, great, deep amber color with an full pale head. Great lacing. Aroma is yeasty and hoppy. Taste is wonderful, slight malt flavor, a little yeast, and a lot of hops. Nice dry crisp finish. Flavor holds up as a really nice from beginning to end. Very drinkable. Lives up to the hopped-up "American-style IPA" expectation.

Serving type: growler

10-31-2010 22:54:43 | More by ronny
sartoric

Italy

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Poured at home in a pint glass, white persistent head and amber colour with orange highlights.

The Aroma immediately remind you bitter orange and citrus, but after a couple of minutes it begun more complex with candied peel and fruit, sugar cane and some reminescens of caramel.

The taste is very pleasant. It starts with a light sweetness and as soon as the liquid touch the various tongue's areas it evolves in the typical IPA bitterness keeping the sweet background.

Despite the alcohol percentage the body is medium maybe due to the soft carbonation but almost creamy (like belgian ... as this one is defined) . The bitternes in the finish definitely remind you are drinking an IPA ... a very flavoured heavy bodied well balanced one.

Well done guys , as always :-) Never tried to pair this with food, I have some cheesy ideas but I really like to drink this one in relax listening to some good music.

12-15-2010 23:29:22 | More by sartoric
ihoffman

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Pours amber-orange in color. A small white head forms and quickly dissipates. Minimal lacing.

S: Citrusy. Pungent grapefruit fills the nostrils.

T: Citrus hops dominate this brew. Like the smell, grapefruit is strongly apparent. Perhaps some mango and pineapple were thrown into the mix as well. Hoppy for sure. A bitey beginning and a a bitter, sour finish.

M: Medium bodied and a tad smooth. For a Belgian though, I had expected the mouthful to be thicker. Carbonation is on par. Crisp.

O: Not a bad brew. A tad bitter for my taste, but drinkable considering the ABV.

05-02-2011 00:22:23 | More by ihoffman
DooMMonkey

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

A- Right off the bat this sucker has a right thick head and the looks of stinging carbonation. Has a light yellow color to it when poured like a golden ale should... but this is no golden ale. Looking into it top-down it looks crimson... weird.

S- The hoppy awesomeness screams, "I am an IPA drink me," so yeah there's a lot of hoppiness going on here with a spicy sweetness that kind of sticks to the inside of your nose, citrusy kind of like lemon or lime, not entirely sure.

T- Bitter, yes, like most IPAs but this one is more like a hoppy golden ale. A hint of spicy hops maybe amarillo hops? A little more citrusy and less earthen than many IPAs and just a tad sweet, not really noticeable until it's been sipped a little. Definitely not a lot of carbonated taste for how much foam there was, perhaps hiding underneath the hops, either way it's hardly noticeable. A nice splash of grapefruit takes the cake.

M- Even though the taste of the carbonation isn't entirely there, one can feel it and its pretty blatant but certainly not overwhelming. The spicyness leaves kind of a stinging sensation on the tongue.

D- A little smooth a not too rough, pretty much a perfect balance. Very drinkable for an IPA lover like myself, maybe not so much for one who doesn't, but either way it goes down right.

01-21-2010 07:44:50 | More by DooMMonkey
ratatat

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

This is a good, unique IPA. It pours with a nice head and coppery color. The head does not stick around long, but carries nice lacing. The aroma is sweet and hoppy. It smells like a Belgian IPA. It smells really good.

Taste is interesting to say the least. I can certainly taste the Belgian yeast, but there is also a fair fruitiness. Then there's hops. It leaves some bitterness on the palette.

It works. It is a beer that I could drink regularly.

11-28-2010 01:58:33 | More by ratatat