Join our email list →

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States | website

Belgian IPA | 8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,119 | Hads: 3,775
3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

I really like the idea of combining a Belgium and an IPA but, as it turns out, combined the two are not more than the sum of its parts. This beer smells like a Belgium...it has one of the most beguiling floral/tropical fruit bouquets I've ever encountered in an American-made Belgium-style ale. It looks like a Belgium too. But once it hits your palate the myriad flavors and nuance of the Belgium is clobbered by a 60 IBU IPA. It's not a bad IPA, but it can't be anything but an IPA once it hits your taste buds. Good beer but not a great beer.

Recommended Music Pairing - Vince Guaraldi - Black Orpheus

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into a tulip, this beer was $15 for a damn six pack, let's find out if it's worth it.

A-Hazy with a slight golden/bronze color, nice 2 and a half finger head. The head is really sticking around too, which is a big deal to me.

S-This beer smells really really good, the hops aren't overwhelming, I'm getting a lot of citrus and earthy tones also.

T-I get the citrus and earth tones at the beginning, taste just like it smells. The hop bitterness doesn't come till the end and I've got to tell ya, it's almost perfect.

M-A tad on the light side, but not too light where you feel your not drinking a beer at all, goes down really smooth and coats the mouth and throat pretty nicely,

O-An excellent beer, the best one I've had from Flying Dog. All the characteristics fit together almost perfectly, it's a bit pricey but if you can fork out the extra change it is totally worth it!!

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

This is a good beer for a high ABV beer. Not really heavy and you can drink more than one at a sitting because it not so heavy. If you are looking for a good high ABV beer and you like IPA's this is a good one to try out. I would recommend this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

I enjoyed this beer on tap.

A: beer was dark amber in color with a small head. Mild Lacing

S: The beer is floral. There was a slight citrus smell

T: rich, mouthful of hops feeling. Smooth with a good balance between hops and malt.

O: this is a great beer. Now one of my favorites. Well balanced and moderately priced.

2.95/5  rDev -25.3%

I was disappointed in this beer. I have had it in the past, and thought that it was pretty decent, but for some reason, it didn't taste all that great this time around. It seemed pretty fresh, with a 2014 brew date.

The smell is... strange. I read lots of references about "citrus" and "grapefruit." To me, it smelled a bit sour with... I know this sounds crazy... a hint of burning hemp. Kind of like sitting in the nosebleed section of an indoor arena during a Pink Floyd concert, circa 1977.

The taste is also kind of sour rather than hoppy. This one definitely leaves an aftertaste, not unlike the taste some of us sometimes have when we first wake up in the morning.

I am glad that I only purchased a single bottle of this one this time around. I don't know... maybe this bottle was from a bunch that wasn't stored properly for awhile before being refrigerated at the retailer. I am willing to come back to this one again after some time to give it another shot.

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light amber/ copper with a nice cream/ off-white head that leaves a consistent lacing on the edges.

The smell is predominately citrus and floral hops, with some accompanying belgian yeast staples. It ends up being pretty complex and intriguing. The taste comes off with citrusy hops, sweet malt and some spiciness from the yeast. A very flavorful combination. Has a thin - medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation.

A pretty good beer if you like IPAs and are in the mood for one with a nice twist to it. Definitely worth tasting if given the chance.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Big thumbs up for this tasty treat. Enjoyed the unique and very different passionfruit and mango flavors punching through the middle. Nice balanced finish too. A yummy gulper this one. And very good value at the checkout! Definitely worth trying.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

This is very good. I really liked the first whiff I got while pouring it. It's very thirst-quenching, and I can drink this gulp after gulp, despite its strength. Very liberal with the hops, but without that bonk you over the head hops taste that a lot of these strong American ales have. They seem to have taken that bonk you over the head taste and tucked it into the drink better, so props for that.

I drank this out of a Chimay goblet.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Picked up a single as a test, and quickly had a 6 within the week, so I guess that will tell you how this review will go.

Pour is a yellow to amber, slightly cloudy. Initial 2 finger head subsides quickly, with some nice lacing behind. Aroma is more malt then citrus/hops, but extremely unique.

Belgian IPA is a perfect description. Malty, taste of bread and some caramel, with some subtle bitterness from the hops to finish. As you continue the taste, you pick up notes of citrus and some gentle pine. Really nice.

Their 20th anniversary beer, and an absolute steal at the price my local specialty store is selling it for. I will definitely grab more before it's gone.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Purchased at Brusin' Ales in Asheville,NC 02.26.2012.
Poured and enjoyed 02.29.2012.

A: Light copper color that is extremely clear. Lots of bubbles. Resilient, lofty thick, vanilla/cream head. Little-to-no lacing.

S: Orange peel with a slight sweetness.

T: Very smooth and dry with orange peel/citrus emphasis. Medium hoppiness that does not overstay its welcome.

M: Lighter, medium-thin body with perfect carbonation.

O: An absolutely beautiful beer that is excellently drinkable. The body is thin enough to go down easy, but a wonderful dry and short lived hop taste keeps you tasting all the way down.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

I first tasted it in the bottle, but this review comes from the tap. first of all the bottle version i could taste the fruitiness of the yeast, but from the tap it seem like it was blended well, the yeast didn't tap me here and there.

the appearance was of a golden amber, was poured in a mug, nice half inch head good pour from the bartender.

the smell was invigorating with like some type of candied peach and floral notes

the taste was excellent, very smooth and the bitterness counteracting with the yeast gave a well balance flavor of sweet malts and calm bitterness. delicious,

the mouthfeel was nice not tart, smooth not overpowering of alcohol even at 8.3abv

the drinkability is about two mugs, if you want to respect the beer and to savor its taste.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a beautiful amber hue of dark copper. Moderate carbonation that makes a one finger cream-colored head.

S: I had a stuffy nose that day so I didn't smell much at all. Just a hint of malt. I rated the smell as the average of the other scores so as not to affect the overall rating.

T: I really overestimated how this would be. It wasn't truly anything special for the IPA style. Strong pine notes upfront but aren't too extreme. After come the mild floral characters and bit of sweet but vague malts. The alcohol is barely pronounced for how strong it is. Perhaps my nose is affecting the taste?

M: This was by far my favorite part of the taste. Excellent crisp and clean mouthfeel. Slightly fizzy and only slightly slick in the mouth. The body is balanced a tad on the light side of medium. Pretty satisfying.

O: I wasn't a fan of this one. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't great. However, if you are new to craft and want to try an IPA for the first time without having your palate be bombarded, check this one out. Raging Bitch is decent IPA, just not astounding. Would be good for the curious but not too crazy beer lover.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- deeper amber color. Pours very little head but nice lacing. S- citrus and caramel. Reminiscent of a Belgian ale. T- sweet with good malt backbone. Bitter aftertaste, almost tart. M- medium with hops lingering. Decent carbonation. O- with the intriguing yet almost repulsive artwork on the bottle this delivers for me. A good hop to malt ratio with Belgian yeast pleases my taste buds and is very drinkable to my standards.

3.59/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Used to be a bigger fan of this one when I was first getting into craft drinks but after trying a lot of new bottles this one has been knocked down a few pegs. Very crisp and clean, almost too much so as the bitterness is not really complimented by much else. Hoppy, strong and sharp overall but still a good choice in its style. Thin mouthfeel, with the word clean and crispy coming up again. A great beer to enjoy when feeling hot but hard to recommend having multiples in a session.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Interesting Belgian style IPA, kind of the best of both worlds. My 2 favorite types of beers rolled into one. At first I wasn't sure about this one but I find myself going back to it time and time again.
The appearance is a lovely golden copper with a good 2 fingers of foam. Nice even lacing along the sides of my Duvel tulip.
The smell is outstanding, very inviting somewhat pungeant floral and fermentation that you get with those awesome belgians, it has that.
The taste is very unique and enjoyable, sort of that belgian malt/yeast thing at the front end, then an instant bitter hoppiness as it washer down the back side. very nice!
Feels somewhat heavy, sweet but tasty.
One of my favorites, probably not a good summer beer but in this crappy Minnesota weather just a couple of these at over 8%abv and you become warm very quickly!

2.98/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured into Maudite tulip glass from bottle with freshness date 8/24/2010.

A: Orange amber, fairly clear with a tan head. Slight retention and little lacing.

S: Sharp hops and Belgian yeast. The alcohol content is evident in the aroma. Sweet flowers, such as honeysuckle, and leathery scents are also noticeable. Although it has a fairly complex aroma, not all of the smells are good. It possessed a certain burnt smell, almost the smell of burnt rubber. As it warmed, a bubblegum smell increased almost to the point of sickly sweet, particularly when the beer was agitated.

T: The initial taste was a mild Belgian spice with hints of floral and leather flavors. This beer didn't seem to hide its higher ABV very well, though. The aftertaste was uncommonly bitter. Although the label claims 60 IBU, it tasted far more bitter than beers with a significantly higher IBU content (such as Stone Ruination).

D: This beer was far too bitter for me to truly enjoy. The only enjoyable aspect was that it does possess a certain complexity, I just don't think its flavors worked that well together. It didn't seem to strike me as much of an IPA (and I am an IPA lover), other than being bittter.

This is the first beer I've tried from Flying Dog, and I must admit I'm turned off a bit. However, the Ralph Steadman artwork on their bottles is cool enough to make me willing to give some of their other beers a chance.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Appearance- HOLY HEAD BATMAN!! This beer starts off with a frothy three finger head with a retention of two fingers. Beautiful, clear amber pour. Great columns of visible carbonation. It has a decent, bubbly lace that clings to the top of the glass as you drink.
Smell- Scents of hops and a sweet, fruity smell tickle the nose as they erupt from this head.
Taste- The sweet, fruity taste that I cannot pinpoint compliments the bitterness of the hops nicely to create a balanced taste with quite a bite.
Mouthfeel- The light body pleasantly glides over the tongue with decent carbonation.
Drinkability- This beer is a fantastic drink. Its sweet, smooth flavor is complimented by the great feel of this beer to create a taste that I would love to purchase again.

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

...sorry but I just don't know why this beer is called a "Belgian"-Style IPA. The look is so great. Amber, yet like Bernstein. Good foam.... fruits on the nose. Smells like a sliced Mango, notes of tree gum...and a lot of tropical fruits.... I like that.
Taste is super-sweet, like honey, good body and a slight biterniss... the finish is a bit bubblegumish and not that bitter for a 8.3 ABV IPA-Style-beer..Whats the IBU? Anyway.... in my opinion the best finisht a beer could have. Very Good!

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Bought this at Total Wine and More in Raleigh, 12 ounce bottle service in a pint glass.

Appearance- Deep Orange with 1/2 inch tan head that's still there after five minutes. Nice lacing.

Aroma- very pleasant citrus aroma.

Taste- Lots of hops, grapefruit overtones. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel, Nice, not over carbonated.

Overall a very nice, hoppy, IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

The appearance is good, overall a tanish hue, that when poured in a glass left less than a 1 finger head. Not dark but not urine colored either (unless your really taking your vitamins or have some ailment lol)

Smell is sweet and tangy, and the all important taste - is a bitch, raging bitch. This is actually my sixth beer out of the a six pack over a week or two. First I didn't really care much for it, but overall it's grown on me. STill a little too hoppy for me to call good, but I'm not a fan of that flavor.

You can tell it's got a bit of higher AC around 8.3% I think, but not some of the other attributes that come with other beers.

Mouthfull is good, a little crisp and a little creamy if that makes any sense.

Overall, I'd buy more when I'm in the mood to drink a flavorful beer and one that may impede me pounding several more. You know when you've when on a date and you know she's going to be bitch, and you got to drink but are worried about the drive home.

3.62/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first Belgian IPA that I have tried.

A: One of the nicest colors in a beer that I have seen. A beautiful reddish, 24 carat gold color. Lacing is very low and head retention is average at best.

S: Fruity yeast smell dominates the aroma. Smells strongly of banana and orange.

T: Fruity yeast, sweet caramel malt, and citrusy hops. Strong ester and phenol presence. There is a lingering grapefruit-orange aftertaste from the hops. The bitterness asserts itself within the IPA style but is a bit cloying in the aftertaste. The alcoholic heat of this beer dries the palate.

M: Full bodied. What I'd expect for 8.3% abv. Borderline syrupy.

D: A bit too dry and cloying to be easily drinkable. Aftertaste doesn't leave me wanting to drink much more of this.

Having not tried a Belgian IPA before, I like the fusion of the fruity esters and the strong citrusy IPA qualities. The color is wonderful but the head retention and aftertaste could be improved.

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

When my brother-in-law (who knows his beers) suggested I try this Belgian/IPA (two styles I enjoy) I was intrigued at the idea of the combination. And I am more than satisfied with the results.

The light, bright orange flavor of the Belgian is in perfect balance with the intense hops of the IPA. The aroma and taste are consistent with each other. The persistent, smooth head accompanies the drinker from top to bottom. The color is compelling, a striking orange tint to the brown, that just calls out, "I am a significant beer."

This beer has a bit of heft to it, and the mouthfeel is unique, a slick texture.

Most evenings, when I have a Raging Bitch, I only have one or two, then shift to a lighter flavor. But this unique, robust brew would be an excellent first beer on most any evening.

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pale golden color, white head with good retention and a good lace.
S: Sweet yeast, tropical and floral scent.
T: Sweet yeast and grainy bread flavors upfront then a tropical, raisin, bubble gum flavor ending with a grassy hops flavor. The flavor changes a lot and bounces around like crazy. Very complexed.
MF: Medium body, low carbonation, waxy feel, a little warming and with a medium/heavy dry finish.
O: Pretty sweet and the hops in it bounces flavors around a lot. But I love the complexly and the bite at the end. I see where she gets her name from. This is my first Belgain-Style IPA so I don't really know how to compare it to others. And I think I could only drink one at a setting.

Took one look at this beer and as soon as i read that it was a Belgian style i was sold, let alone that it was an IPA, fuck ya!!

A: Very heavy amber color to it, looks like there is not much carbonation or life inside, yet unable to see through the glass so there must be allot of malty ingredients added to the batch.

S: Smell is slightly intense, heavy in the pine smell, can totally tell that is in IPA just based off the smell.

T: smooth, sweet and so easy to drink. Has a sharp entrance at first, but after goes down the throat all it leaves you with is such and IPA bitter flavor it will keep you begging for more.

M: After just taking sips of the beer tho, it kinda shows you the complete opposite of its taste. Allowing you to leave it in your mouth so smooth and subtle, until your ready to swallow it whole in which you encounter its full wrath and flavor.

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Huh, not sure what's up with this, but I'm not seeing this as hitting the mark as a "belgian style". Maybe its the fact that it has the ABV of a Triple, not sure. But, I still enjoyed it...so here's the details:

Look: Copper, burnt orange color with a fine, almost champagne like effervescence (maybe that's belgian). Poured into a not even sorta appropriate glass by the National Pastime bar in the Gaylord National Harbor it still managed to maintain a thin but substantial head that stuck to the glass and covered the top of the beer.

Smell: Just clean. Nothing of note. Nothing IPA hoppy, no belgian yeast or graininess. But clean and fresh.

Taste: Mid level american IPA. No noteable belgian yeast, on the dry side though, maybe just a little remeniscent of a saison. Nothing to indicate the high ABV either...sneaky.

Feel: Nice. Medium body. Little lactose creaminess going on.

Overall quite a pleasant drinkeable beer especially for the alcohol level. For a better example of the style, maybe a Clown Shoes Muffin Top or a Brewery Vivant Tree Bucket

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery