Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado) - Flying Dog Brewery

Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado)Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado)

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 03-04-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado) Alström Bros
Ratings: 229 | Reviews: 58
2.55/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours a straw/gold color with slight initial murkyness. A 1 inch foamy head develops and lingers. Looks very very carbonated, far more than one would expect to see in this style.

Smell is slightly sweet in the front then follows with sort of a stale hop smell and the slightest bit of citrus.

Taste is almost medicinal at first to me, almost a mouthwash type of taste (makes me think of the stone green tea IPA). It follows with what I guess we will call hop flavor (presumably this is from the el dorado hop... can't say i'm especially familiar with it). To it's credit it is at least not overly bitter and it's stringently alcoholic, despite a relatively high abv.

Mouthfeel is awful. Very over carbonated for the style, to the point where it essentially tastes foamy and ruins whatever potential might have existed for this beer.

This just feels like a beer that went wrong somewhere along the way, but they but they kept going forward with it anyway. The taste/smell profile is average at best but not overly offensive. The mouthfeel though just takes it all down a couple notches.

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A lot of single hop beers floating around these days, El Dorado would not be my first choice. Beer is a little orange, hazy, wispy head, served in a goblet.

Aroma is sweet and a little fruity.

This beer is sweet, then almost nothing, then it hits you in the back of the head with a frying pan made out of hops. Really bitter and dry finish, shockingly dry really. Harsh. Hard to drink. The separation of the sweet start and the harsh finish are shocking and palate wrecking. In a phrase, not a fan.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

On draft @ the Axe. Kinda dim in here to notice the color but I'd say it's a pretty clear copper color with a average sized white head. Aroma citrus hops and dried fruit. Flavor is a hops overload and I love it. Overwhelming Sweet fruity hops flavor with a sharp hop bite to finish. Medium body with a sticky texture and only a hint of the 10% it carries but I love this single hopped beer and I can't wait for flying dog to release the next one in the series.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Served from a cask at Rustico during my maiden voyage. Not the biggest fan of really any Flying Dog beer that does not have the word Gonzo in it, but I like DIPAs and I really like the idea of these single hop series that a select number of breweries have done in recent times.

Not sure if I have ever had a beer which contained El Dorado hops, but here we fucking go. Very interesting nose that has a lot of booze and some interesting citrus notes going on. Not my favorite smelling DIPA, but certainly unique and fruity and I do respect that. Tastes is also kind of boozy, especially as this thing warms. Again citrus dominates the palate and I appreciate that there really is not a huge malt presence at all. Mouthfeel is a touch thick, but carbonation is nice.

Can't say that I'm hating the motherfucker, as it does have some redeeming qualities, but this is kind of a one and done (she also said that) beer for me. Looking forward to trying more in the series to get a better grasp on what different hops bring to the table. I'm trying to think of a way to splice in a crude Cadillac El Dorado quip, but I would feel bad shitting any more upon this beer as wise man by the name Thorpe429 shared some insight painting the El Dorado hop to be one that does not really shine in the same beautiful way as many of its brethren.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On cask at Rustico - Alexandria. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a cloudy light apricot color with a really great white head and an incredible amount of lacing. The nose hits with quite a bit of hops and zero malt. It is a bit tropical with light citrus and herbal characteristics lingering in the background. I will say that after having a few El Dorado beers now, it's not a great hop. The character is there throughout, but I don't really enjoy what it brings to the brew. It's not too bad, but certainly not the hit that Citra is. The flavor is just about the same as the nose--the flavor is all hops, but the hop character isn't my favorite. This is a good effort, and I can't fault them for anything other than selecting this hop to make a beer with. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation for the style. A bit too hot as it warms, with the alcohol becoming a detraction.

4.27/5  rDev +10.6%

A-hazy golden color with white lacing throughout
S-nice hop smell that invites me in
T-great pine hop taste with nice citrus aftertaste.
M-medium bodied and crisp with a nice hop bite
D-there is no way this is 10%. Someone check this. No way. One of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. Very good.

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a murky yellow with maybe a hint of orange. A decent amount ofmhead that dissipates quickly. Smells lightly hoppy.. Definitely doesn't smell very imperial to me. A bit of yeasty aroma that is a bit off-putting. Tastes sweet and bitter. Lots of hops but not really up to snuff for a double ipa. Tick solid mouthfeel. Super super drinkable. I don't believe it's 10 percent

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a honey gold color with pretty good head retention and fair lacing. Really don't get too much on the nose, just some dank earth and light honey. The flavor profile is better, but this is still not a strong effort from Flying Dog. On the palate, I get considerable honey and vanilla, which is then pushed aside by an impressive wave of hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, with a fairly long, very bitter finish. Drinkability isn't too bad, but the combination of honey, noticeable alcohol and considerable bitterness on the finish is just not a great one.

While decent, this is just not one of the better beers I've had from flying dog. The simcoe version of this beer was much better.

Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado) from Flying Dog Brewery