Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

English Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: WMEugene on 11-16-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle was purchased at The Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA

Poured and sampled from a DFH Signature Glass

A - Beer pours a dark brown, almost black color. Totally opaque. A half-finger, tan colored head that faded within a minute to a wisp on top of the beer. Little to no lacing left on the glass.

S - A roasted malt aroma. Nothing that says "wow".

T - I wasn't sure what to expect since this was brewed with oysters. The initial taste is of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and a slight metallic/tangy aftertaste with a tad of bitterness. A slight saltiness that is probably from the brine of the oysters. Honestly, if you didn't know it was brewed with oysters, you'd probably wouldn't guess this was different from a normal stout. The alcohol is not noticeable.

M - A thin to medium consistency. Lots of tangy carbonation.

O - Well, this was a first for me. Oysters and beer? Now that is a combination that most people would turn their nose up to. But this is a decent stout that really doesn't exhibit any off tastes from the addition of the oysters. It's an easy drinking, good tasting stout. Not the best stout I've ever had but I do have bragging rights saying I drank a beer made with a shellfish!

Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I'm not gonna make the obvious joke here, but I do know a girl who's told me she always thought she'd look good with a pearl necklace, and it's hard to keep from laughing. Call me immature. Anyway, this stuff pours a deep black-brown topped by a finger of glowing wan-khaki foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, watered-down coffee, dark earthy greens, and mineral water. The taste brings in more of the same, but with more minerality (the oysters at work) and a stiffer coffee component. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, a nice stout, though one that could stand to have a bit more meat on its bones.

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a nice deep black color with a brown two fingers of head on it that holds great retention and lacing.

S= Smells big and roasty with a little bit of a sort of brownie type of sweetness to it. It has a sort of unique doughy sort of thing going on in the nose. It smells like brownie mix to me. I've never had oysters but tey may be my new thing.

T= The taste is a nice roastiness to it. The brownie sweetness is somewhat subsided with a little saltiness to it. There is a briney character to the finish but it isn't overpowering. The finish is nice and roasty.

M= The mouth is a little overcarbonated I think but the flavors are nice and lasting with a good weight.

O= This is a solid beer. I've never had an oyster stout but for only 5.5% this baby packs a lot of flavor in. Check this out. I've never had oysters but this is good.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, with a code on the label that was difficult to spot. No visible date of bottling anywhere else, other than the code.
Dark mahogany pour settles to a pitch black color in the glass with a very nice one finger dark tan colored head that dissipates very slowly.
Aroma is very malty with notes of roasted coffee and dark chocolate.
Taste is roasty and bitter upfront, but towards the finish there is a distinct salty taste. Dry finish with not a lot of after-taste, just a hint of the oysters. The oyster is definitely more in the taste.
Decent mouthfeel, a more on the thin side. A little more body would have made this an even better stout.
Drinkability on the other hand is good; goes down very easy.
Worth a try if you enjoy something different in your stouts.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep, black color. Has a medium-sized, frothy, tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells of roasted malts, coffee, and a bit of chocolate. Also has a strong, salty smell to it than I can only assume is the oysters.

Taste: Starts bitter with good roasted malt flavors. Finishes roasty, with chocolate and raw coffee flavors. Throughout the whole thing, there's a sort of earthy, salty taste which is probably from the oysters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and lightly carbonated.

Overall: A fairly decent stout. I'm not sure what the oysters really add here except a bit of saltiness. Still, it's a well put-together stout and something I wouldn't mind having again.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yields 1/2 finger of tan head with fair to good retention. Clear dark brown to black liquid. Nice looking stout that could benefit from some better head retention.
S: Roasty malt, some caramel sweetness, coffee, maybe the slightest salt air whiff. Maybe a tad of lactose. Pleasant slight candied black licorice.
T: Rich flavored. No noticeable oyster flavor, which I guess I'm a little disappointed by! I'm definitely thankful, but I was prepared and it was an anti-climax. What does the oyster add to it? Maybe a bit of saltiness to enhance the flavor? Some chocolate, no coffee, lots of cream. Some caramel.
M: Smooth, silky and full. Creamy. A tad thin and metallic or green in the finish.
O: Quite enjoyable. A very good stout that stands out in my mind. Where's the oyster though. Maybe it adds a certain Je ne sais quoi maybe?

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

I picked up a bottle of Flying Dog's Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. This beer just showed up in my area, the concept of an Oyster Stout peaks my interest so I just had to pick up a bottle to try out so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the label and the name of this beer it's pretty edgy and it really sticks out on the shelf and grabs my attention. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two and a half fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This is a very good looking beer, from the color to the head I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts of with some nice roasted malts aroma that have a lower amount of sweetness and impart some nice coffee aromas with a slight bit of chocolate and some nice slightly charred aromas. Towards the end I get a light an earthy hop aroma followed by a slight briny/ salty aroma that must be from the oysters. The aroma was nice, it had some nice roasted aromas with some slight briny aroma, I would say it a little above average.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts of with lots of roasted malts that have a lower amount of sweetness and impart lots of nice roasted flavors along with some chocolate and charred flavors followed by a slight bit of coffee. After that comes a slight salty/briny flavor followed by a light amount of earthy hops on the finish with a pretty roasted and charred aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, the stout flavors were nice and roasty and the oysters added a slight briny flavor that made for good complexity and didn't seem out of place, I like it.

M- Pretty smooth, slightly creamy, rich, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good, it worked well with this beer and it was true to style, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and a good example of an English Stout brewed with Oysters, I don't have much experience with English Stouts and I have never had a beer with oysters in it before, but it seemed to fit the style nicely and the oysters added a nice layer of complexity that didn't stick out too much. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it went down smooth and the flavors held my attention nicely, I could probably drink two of these before the charred flavor would be too much. What I like the most about this beer was the taste and appearance, it tasted pretty good with some nice roasted flavors and a slight briny flavor and the appearance was really good. What I liked the least about this beer was that aroma had a little too much char to it, I wouldn't mind the char being toned down a little with a little briny aromas. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good and drinkable English Stout and I would recommend this beer to just about anyone, don't let the oysters scare you this is a good stout. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, I have to admit that I was little intimated by the fact that they threw some oysters in this brew but it turned out that they didn't impart any fishy aspects to this beer, it just made it richer and added a slight briny flavor to it which I liked and I thought it worked well with this beer. Good job Flying Dog at first glance this is one crazy sounding beer, but once you get down to it and drink it it's really not all that crazy, it's just a good English Stout, nice work guys, I'll be interested to see what other crazy ideas you guys got.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

2.06/5  rDev -44%

Pours dark brown, almost black with a red tint when held in the light. Head is fine and fizzy, and dissipates entirely as you pour the beer. No lacing.

Smells weakly of coffee with not much else. Maybe a bit of dark fruit? Overall quite weak.

Taste is bitter, smoky, and a bit gritty. Easy, balanced flavor with the smokiness hitting the back of the throat. Aftertaste is pleasant balance of dry and sticky, if that makes any sense.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, but well bodied for an english stout I guess. I'm still looking for a real oyster taste, and other than the slight gritty, rock taste midway through, there isn't much. Fizzes a bit when swished, but more foamy than harsh. Drinkability is good balance of flavor and thin body, so it's a winner there at least. Overall a disappointment.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Black, opaque, tiny bubbled tan head

SMELL: Dark caramel, faint ocean, mineral, dark chocolate, soft charcoal, sweet

TASTE: Very smooth, medium bodied, burnt sugar, soft charcoal, mild salt, creamy, cocoa powder, restrained hopping, earthy, chicory, semi-sweet roasty finish

Great balance from start to finish, very subtle oyster shell flavor which works quite well. This beer lingers on the palate, wish I had a dozen Island Creek oysters right now ... on its own still a lot of fun.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%