Wildeman Farmhouse IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: CraftBeerTastic on 01-27-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wildeman Farmhouse IPA Alström Bros
2.26/5  rDev -40.1%

A: Pours out a cloudy golden color. Three fingers of white head with a good amount of lace left behind.

S: It smells mostly of clove and yeast. Some lemon and floral scents as well.

T: There are spices up front, particularly clove and some generic bitter hoppiness in back. There is a hint of lemon in there as well. It leaves a bitter aftertaste.

M: Strong carbonation. It is a light to medium body that is crisp and clean.

O: Unique, but a really weak offering that I wouldn't go to again. If I wanted a Belgian Ale, I would go with one that is less bitter. If I wanted an IPA, I would get one that had more diverse flavors than just "bitter". The spices are overpowering and it seems more like a bitter version of a Belgian Ale than anything else. (754 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Pours a nice golden orange…popped open and formed tons of just off-white head that did final settle down into normal, finger width thickness…beer legs all over the glass…(3.75/5)

Smell: Light, floral, and a bit citrusy…some yeast aroma…some clove aroma…(2.75/5)

Taste: Bready malt covered in floral, citrus and piney hops…tons of floral tones throughout and into the finish…there is a bit of flowery bitterness in the after taste…a bit alcoholly that does set the flavor off a bit and doesn’t balance well with the floral…(2/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, tons of carbonation…clean and crisp flavor with some floral bitterness in the after taste…(3.5/5)

Overall: This is my least favorite farmhouse ale that I’ve had…the floral hops don’t settle well with the higher ABV in this brew and for me produces a flowery antiseptic taste that lingers on my palette… it’s too bitter for a Belgian and not hoppy enough for an IPA…the spices are a bit overdone…it’s certainly drinkable, but nothing that is overwhelming or something I would get again...(2/5) (1,104 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -35%

I'm a fan of Flying Dogs beer, especially their Barley Wine and In Heat Hefe, so I was excited to try this "Saison" IPA.

I was quite disappointed. No saison-like qualities that I could detect. Unbalanced and overly bitter. It pretty much tasted like a bad take on an imperial IPA.

If you just want to get trashed and love bitter beer without much hop flavor than this one is for you, otherwise try some of Flying Dogs other offerings because they are much better.

I'm thrilled I only bought one! (501 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -30%

Pours a pretty clear gold with half a finger of a white head

Smell is grassy, banana, spice, a tiny bit of tropical fruit, clove

Taste is strange, really spicy, almost like rib rub spicy, banana, belgiany yeast, Dill Pickle, very bitter earth hops, strange bitter aftertaste, really not my bag

Mouthfeel is fine for the style, medium light with sharp carbonation

Maybe I am spoiled here in WI with IMO the best Belgian IPA that is avaliable in the world, but with that said I had a lot of them and this just is odd....

Smell is interesting in a good way, taste is interesting in a bad way... Tastes like a terrible saison mixed with a even worse IPA... Glad I only took one bottle from my brothers fridge... He has not even tried it yet, I hope he likes it more then me. I hate giving bad ratings but sometimes you just gotta. (831 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy pale orange with a one finger white head, with good retention and nice lacing. The aroma has pears, Belgian yeast, citrus, cloves, and pale malts.

The taste is more bitter than I would have expected and has citrus, citrus zest, pepper, phenols, Belgian yeast, pale malts, and cloves. The proportions of the ingredients do not seem to be ideal, and this beer kind of seems like it was just thrown together, without much thought be given as to how it would turn out. Each sip seems to start sweet, and finishes overly bitter, with a good deal of citrus zest.

Medium bodied with above average carbonation, and an overly bitter finish. A decent beer, but if falls short of the best Belgian IPAs. (707 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz. poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: Golden yellow with minimal head and decent lacing.

S: Smells like a farmhouse. Very nice floral champagne notes with fruity esters like very ripe apples, similar to a dry cider. It smells like an apple orchard that is actively juicing and making cider.

T: There are hops but they are all farmhouse flavors with wheaty pine, resinous grass. The aftertaste is all pine resin.

M: There is a mild carbonation that lends a slight bit of coarseness.

O: It is what it says it is, but I was expecting more of a saison-y IPA, with some decent carbonation and sweetness. Not to my liking, but I believe this is my first farmhouse IPA. (671 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%

$11.99/6'er. Specialty malts include Rye, Munich, and wheat. Femented with a saison yeast. Brewed with spices, not listed on bottle or website. Hops are a "secret blend". 75 IBU. 7.5% ABV.

Pours out to a faintly hazy pale golden, forming a tall peaking and growing bone white head. VERY brisk carbonation, ~3.5 carbs. Nice retention and lacing. Aroma of mango from the hops, as well as possible orange peel, pineapple and tropical fruit esters from the yeast with a little bit of saison sulfur. Mouthfeel is explosive like champagne with a deceptively light body. The taste opens nicely with the tropical fruits of mango and pineapple, but then is overwhelmed with a pronounced, very firm grapefruit pith bitterness. Way too bitter for my liking. Flourish of pepper in the finish.

I really like Flying Dogs brews, but this is way to bitter and overcarbonated for my liking. I would not buy it again, in contrast to their Red Sky saison which I really like. (958 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Looks good in a glass, nice pale color... robust head.

S: Pungent. Lots of spice and hops. Interesting and complex.

T: Not to my liking. Too overwhelmingly spicey. It may be a good example of this style, but not very drinkable for me (and especially not good at the price $11.00/6-pk).

M: Overwhelmingly foamy. Do not even attempt to drink it from a bottle, you'll only get a mouth of foam (I usually use a glass, but even then, the carbonation overwhelmed everything else). Not to my liking. On the one occasion I drank it from a bottle, it foamed over... this was the 5th or 6th drink from the bottle, and it was not set down hard (just a slight tap). I'm surprised the bottle can contain the forces of carbonation within.

O: Funky, spicy, and foamy. Not a terrible flavor, just not real good. Not what I expected from an IPA (I've yet to meet too many IPAs that I don't like) - Belgian style or otherwise. (917 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a brilliant lemonade clouded godlen color with a big white frothing head large bubbles but sturdy carbonation, pour soft the beer is pretty agitated off the bat when you pop the cap you will hear the carbonation release. Aroma, first off lemon/lime notes with hints of tropical fruit dare I say mango/pineapple combo. A bit of funky yeast similar to the same yeast they use in Ragin' Bitch, spicy and a bit funky. Flavor wise this hits with big time bitterness from both hop additions, spicy yeast notes, black pepper qualities and something I can't pin my finger on. The artwork and the beer are pretty crazy I like how the new sixpack holders proudly state that this stuff is being brewed in Frederick, MD something us beergeeks have been in tune with since they left Denver years ago. Serve it a bit cold it masks some of the bitterness that I found kind of offensive in my first couple sips fade a bit. The yeast is bitter, the hops are bitter, and there seems to be citrus pith that is bitter with minimal sweetness masked by the Belgian yeast strain this beer is a bit of a cluster. Mouthfeel is cloyingly dry and bitter with layers of hops, spice, alcohol, citrus peel just downright awful texture starts to make me want to gag...also you have to deal with the high level of carbonation I'm pawning the rest of these beers off on my cousin Joe, who pretty much loves any beer from Flying Dog. Overall I will not revisit or waste my time on such a harsh beer drinking experience. I like Belgians,saisons, IPAs, white ales, but not when they're all blended together. (1,577 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I keep telling myself I won't buy any more Belgian IPAs. Then I buy another Belgian IPA. Honestly, as far as the style goes, this isn't that bad. The hop profile works out fairly well with the sweet yeast, and there's a lingering hop that isn't that bad at all. I still don't think the specific combination of the sweet, banana-y yeast and American hops works out though. I've enjoyed a handful of Belgian IPAs, but they've all strayed away from the overly banana-y flavor profile. If you actually enjoy Belgian IPAs, you might like this. It's obvious that the style has done great for Flying Dog, since this is their second Belgian IPA to get bottled. But, much like Raging Bitch, I can't recommend it. (703 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a clear yellow with big three finger head that falls fast but laces well enough. Nice to see the bubbles rising to meet the whit cap.

Aroma is nice sweet mango trying to peak out under a big lemon and spice aroma . Hints of banana and cloves or the cloves are making thing of bananas, some light peppery hints.

Taste is like the aroma kind of some light sweet malt underneath but big citrusy lemon punch with lots of spice hits right away. Spice and lemon backed but bursting carbonation. Kind of over powering for me was wanting a hopped Saison not another Belgian IPA which I really am about tired of.

Mouthfeel is lighter side of medium with big carbonation to sock it to you. Sadly don't want to be socked right now.

Overall eh not really bad for the style think I am just burned out on it. (804 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Beer is a clear light gold with a thin head. Aroma is esters, sour banana, Taste is sour up front. Finishes with a mild wave of hops followed by a lot of spicy notes. Mouthfeel is ok. It's well carbonated and light on the palate. Overall, I'm not sure what to make of this. The beer doesn't do too much for me. It is sour without much depth or any interesting notes. (366 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from session notes.

Pours out a cloudy egg yolk color with a stable two finger sudsy head. Minimal amounts of lacing left behind on the glass. Smells mostly of mandarin oranges and finely ground white pepper. To a lesser extent I smell floral and pine resin hops, fruity esters and some phenolic subtext. The flavor is somewhat medicinal at first, but pulls back into a more standard pine-centric punch that lacks nearly all of the subtleties that the nose presented. I'm left with a simplistic dry malt and boiled hop bitterness that lingers for way too long on the palate. Medium body and carbonation levels.
If only the taste matched the nuances of the nose more, I'd enjoy this one a lot more than this. (717 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, pale blonde color with good bubbling. Bone white head with good retention and a little lacing.

Aroma is full on grapefruit, blood orange, tropical pineapple, and mango hop aroma. Add a little unmalted barley to the smell and your spot on. This smells like an American made "Belgian" IPA.

Bitter and astringent from start to finish. This tastes like there's very little "Belgium" inspiring this beer. This is maybe a hopheads IPA with some Belgian sensibility. Not that thius beer is bad per se, just not something I'll buy again. I love IPA's of all shapes and sizes, but this just cuts my palate in the wrong way. (625 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13%

Poured into a shaker: Mad 4-finger head that's loose but smooth & drops slowly, forming crags & craters. Body is a golden straw, transparent with just a few nucleation bubbles & bright highlights. Very nice, probably should've done a tulip for this one. Head settles at about 1&1/2 fingers & retains well. With the last pour, the beer turns cloudy.

Smells of apricot, peach, a little floral, a creamy kind of custard, some citrus, a little grassy. Definitely some farmhouse action going on here, more detectable than the IPA character.

Citrus is notable at first, but a smooth, round citrus, not bitter & jabbing. The peaches & apricots come through, but then halfway through things turn very bitter & dry. The bitterness is interesting, as it's not like most IPA bitterness I've had - it's almost more like bitter greens, a grassy, flattening kind of taste. The boozy, dry character gets very strong, too, & lasts way into the aftertaste. Not sure if what I'm tasting could be called "phenolic", but there's a kind of hot, plastic-like alcohol flavor to it (band-aid?). Mineral & stony, too, the way I sometimes liken Orval to licking a rock in my mind. A bit overpowering, really.

Full-bodied & effervescent, filling the way a lot of farmhouses are. That bitterness & dryness overwhelm my palate & paved over my tastebuds in a way I don't really care for.

I was really digging this going in - the look & smell were pretty admirable, but that steamroller of underbalanced bitterness & dryness were too much for me to really enjoy this. (1,540 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Semi hazy bright gold color with a frothy and sticky bright white head. Nose is reminiscent of raging bitch. Fruity sub banana and clove a bit yeasty touch of citric hops.

Taste slightly reminiscent of raging bitch as well. Thick creamy mouthfeel. Tart citric Apple and pear on the front of the tongue letting you know it is different then its Belgian ipa counter part. Some caramel on the mid palate. Syrup like thickness on the back end of the tongue. Faint banana and clove throughout. Finishes tart citric and piney.

Fans of raging bitch will love this. Similar enough yet different in its own way. A bit too tart for me but it was interesting to see how well the saison and ipa flavors worked together. (709 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a big frothy white head atop a golden body with some haze. The saison yeast provides some spice while papery hops give grassy citrus. Flavors of clean wheat, too peppery with an unbalancing bitterness. The hops are harsh citrus and grass, leaving an unpleasant aftertaste of steeped vegetables and metal. High carbonation - harsh - with a light body. (356 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

First had: Philly Beer Scene Tasting panel with Matt Falco at Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA

I was privileged enough to be on the tasting panel for PBS Magazine, along with Bill Covaleski of Victory and Greg Ramirez of Exton Beverage. This was one of 21 beers we sampled during the session.

Poured a clear golden yellow with a foamy white head; nice retention and lacing. Aroma of yeasty spice and notes of floral hops. Definitely drinks more like a saison than an IPA, the hops being subdued by the huge spice profile, which is right up in your face, as well as the alcohol which seemed unusually hot for a lighter beer. Light-medium body and fairly drinkable, but really off-balanced. Probably needs either a tweaking of the recipe, or more likely a little more time to mellow out. (795 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

A: amber colored, slight cloudy when first poured like a wheat beer although it cleared after a few minutes, slightly carbonated, very thin to no head, white color

S: floral, sweet honey notes, some mustiness

T: lightly hoppy, dominant resiny flavor - obvious and forward but not overpowering. Pleasant if you like IPAs. Other than the resiny hops though, other tastes are subtle and somewhat lost, hints of fruitiness. This beer doesn't have any distinctive flavors that jump forward and hit you, it's easy going, no real surprises.

M: slight carbonation, light bitterness, no long lasting aftertaste

Overall: very light, drinkable, nothing too distinctive, no dominant flavors overall. As an IPA it's very light and not agressive. (736 characters)

Flying Dog
Wildeman Farmhouse IPA

LOOK: From the tap it pours a hazed golden color, bone white soapy head. Plenty of lace.

SMELL: Solid aroma of citrus hops, Belgian yeast, slight funk, wet hay, mild tropical fruits.

TASTE: Upfront a very spicy, estery Belgian yeast which is dry and bitter. There is some alcohol presence, and a generous helping of hop bitterness. Everything is encompassed by a mild musty funk that is present the whole time, along with muted fruit notes. Finishes with a hop bite and must.

FEEL: medium bodied, crisp, medium carbonation.

OVERALL: a kind of funky beer, not tart, just musty and bitter. Not bad for a Belgian ipa, certainly drinkable. (674 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a golden orange color, almost clear, with a one finger tan head that lasts for a short while leaving average lacing.

Aroma is fruity/spicy. I get a citric pungent note, almost catpeeish from the hops as well as a herb/spice coriander and pepper from the yeast. Also some floral notes there.

Taste starts with malt and some candy sugar that soon move to citric, mainly grapefruit and lemmon notes. Also some spice like clove, and coriander come through in the middle. There is some kind of funky notes to this beer as well, not bretty at all, more like a leathery . Bitterness then ensues towards the end of the sip along with spicy peppery notes.

Body is medium with medium to high carbonation. Finish is really dry with a bitter aftertaste.

Overall a very unusual tasting beer. I guess it would be better to call it a hopped up Saison instead of a farmhouse IPA. I like the dryness but, as with belgian IPAs, I think it is better to leave belgian yeast and american hops separated. (992 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -10.6%

P- Thanks to my buddy Ray for thie brew.

A- A lot of head on the pour and it is white like the caps of ocean waves. pale wheat color. i had to wait to pour the other half. The peaks over flow the glas but are as stiff as..well you know.

S- clove aroma and citrus hop nose. Sour mash malt as well.

F- a spicey peppery flavor intially. On the backend the clove and citrus come out but not as well as i would like.

M- spice lingers in the mouth too long and leaves a poor aftertaste. Not very smooth and the complex tones confuse my tongue.

O- it is always hit miss with Belgian IPA's and this one was a miss. Not poor but just an average i would say. The appearance and nose saved this. (689 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -10.6%

12oz bottle not Duvel tulip

A - Hazy, cloudy yellow.  One finger of tiny, bubbled froth. Decent retention.

S - herbal spicy and zesty notes.  Straw and earthy aromas too. Not overpowering but very inviting.  Aroma is supposed to make you want to drink it and this one succeeds.

T - high carbonation is immediately noticeable. The spiciness quickly follows but struggles to stay prominent.  With each successive drink it's the same. Either too much carbonation or not enough body. The taste is nice, but too mild. Virtually no aftertaste and for this style thats unfortunate.

M - clean, too clean. I like more in this area from my farmhouse brews.

O - flying dog has been getting better and better lately and I've been enjoying their offerings. I think this beer falls pray to appealing to the masses. Perhaps an introduction to the style, but is lacking for those already familiar with it. Drinkable, enjoyable but doesn't hold a candle to the very high quality offerings available elsewhere. (1,009 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big white foam on the amber brew. Big foam, though coarse. Touch of fruit in the aroma, like green pears. Lots of carbonation on the tongue.

Lots of the scratchy bitter taste with a touch of butter. Funky Belgian flavors plus a hoppy bite. Quite assertive flavors . Browned biscuits with a splash of red wine and some green pepper. Finish is very dry, even a little woody. Dry fruit flavors, like a cider fermented all the way. Maybe over the top with all the yeasty weirdness and bitter hops, but it's interesting. More of a sipping beer.

I think this is one of the better brews from Flying Dog. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Olive Tree Market in San Diego. (663 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a big white head, good retention. Straw colored beer, somewhat cloudy.

Clove and pepper, and some more piney hop aroma. Citrus - maybe a tart orange. More farmhouse than IPA in aroma.

Short lived malt sweetness up front, then a tart and eventually hoppy flavor tends to dominate. A bit of a pepper flavor. Hop bitterness is assertive but not overpowering, and some of the tartness carries into the finish with the bitterness. Flavor is a bit thin for an IPA.

Medium body and moderately high carbonation. Body somewhat thin for an IPA. Alcohol warming is present but not overpowering.

Overall the flavors didn't meld nicely for me, with the tartness the most disagreeable element. (689 characters)

Wildeman Farmhouse IPA from Flying Dog Brewery