Wildeman Farmhouse IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: CraftBeerTastic on 01-27-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wildeman Farmhouse IPA Alström Bros
TeamAlphaDoG

dbl_delta

02-06-2013 13:51:22 | More by dbl_delta
mpedara429

2.18/5  rDev -41.1%

A: Pours out a cloudy golden color. Three fingers of white head with a good amount of lace left behind.

S: It smells mostly of clove and yeast. Some lemon and floral scents as well.

T: There are spices up front, particularly clove and some generic bitter hoppiness in back. There is a hint of lemon in there as well. It leaves a bitter aftertaste.

M: Strong carbonation. It is a light to medium body that is crisp and clean.

O: Unique, but a really weak offering that I wouldn't go to again. If I wanted a Belgian Ale, I would go with one that is less bitter. If I wanted an IPA, I would get one that had more diverse flavors than just "bitter". The spices are overpowering and it seems more like a bitter version of a Belgian Ale than anything else.

09-30-2012 06:46:15 | More by mpedara429

DeutschesBier

06-07-2013 20:17:37 | More by DeutschesBier
SerialHiker

2.39/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Pours a nice golden orange…popped open and formed tons of just off-white head that did final settle down into normal, finger width thickness…beer legs all over the glass…(3.75/5)

Smell: Light, floral, and a bit citrusy…some yeast aroma…some clove aroma…(2.75/5)

Taste: Bready malt covered in floral, citrus and piney hops…tons of floral tones throughout and into the finish…there is a bit of flowery bitterness in the after taste…a bit alcoholly that does set the flavor off a bit and doesn’t balance well with the floral…(2/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, tons of carbonation…clean and crisp flavor with some floral bitterness in the after taste…(3.5/5)

Overall: This is my least favorite farmhouse ale that I’ve had…the floral hops don’t settle well with the higher ABV in this brew and for me produces a flowery antiseptic taste that lingers on my palette… it’s too bitter for a Belgian and not hoppy enough for an IPA…the spices are a bit overdone…it’s certainly drinkable, but nothing that is overwhelming or something I would get again...(2/5)

01-15-2013 04:47:45 | More by SerialHiker
KevinNewHampshire

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

I'm a fan of Flying Dogs beer, especially their Barley Wine and In Heat Hefe, so I was excited to try this "Saison" IPA.

I was quite disappointed. No saison-like qualities that I could detect. Unbalanced and overly bitter. It pretty much tasted like a bad take on an imperial IPA.

If you just want to get trashed and love bitter beer without much hop flavor than this one is for you, otherwise try some of Flying Dogs other offerings because they are much better.

I'm thrilled I only bought one!

07-08-2012 21:23:14 | More by KevinNewHampshire

03-16-2014 03:13:04 | More by Fettpopps
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

2.54/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a pretty clear gold with half a finger of a white head

Smell is grassy, banana, spice, a tiny bit of tropical fruit, clove

Taste is strange, really spicy, almost like rib rub spicy, banana, belgiany yeast, Dill Pickle, very bitter earth hops, strange bitter aftertaste, really not my bag

Mouthfeel is fine for the style, medium light with sharp carbonation

Maybe I am spoiled here in WI with IMO the best Belgian IPA that is avaliable in the world, but with that said I had a lot of them and this just is odd....

Smell is interesting in a good way, taste is interesting in a bad way... Tastes like a terrible saison mixed with a even worse IPA... Glad I only took one bottle from my brothers fridge... He has not even tried it yet, I hope he likes it more then me. I hate giving bad ratings but sometimes you just gotta.

04-19-2013 21:01:10 | More by nickapalooza86
hardy008

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy pale orange with a one finger white head, with good retention and nice lacing. The aroma has pears, Belgian yeast, citrus, cloves, and pale malts.

The taste is more bitter than I would have expected and has citrus, citrus zest, pepper, phenols, Belgian yeast, pale malts, and cloves. The proportions of the ingredients do not seem to be ideal, and this beer kind of seems like it was just thrown together, without much thought be given as to how it would turn out. Each sip seems to start sweet, and finishes overly bitter, with a good deal of citrus zest.

Medium bodied with above average carbonation, and an overly bitter finish. A decent beer, but if falls short of the best Belgian IPAs.

12-24-2013 01:55:43 | More by hardy008
Mitchster

2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

$11.99/6'er. Specialty malts include Rye, Munich, and wheat. Femented with a saison yeast. Brewed with spices, not listed on bottle or website. Hops are a "secret blend". 75 IBU. 7.5% ABV.

Pours out to a faintly hazy pale golden, forming a tall peaking and growing bone white head. VERY brisk carbonation, ~3.5 carbs. Nice retention and lacing. Aroma of mango from the hops, as well as possible orange peel, pineapple and tropical fruit esters from the yeast with a little bit of saison sulfur. Mouthfeel is explosive like champagne with a deceptively light body. The taste opens nicely with the tropical fruits of mango and pineapple, but then is overwhelmed with a pronounced, very firm grapefruit pith bitterness. Way too bitter for my liking. Flourish of pepper in the finish.

I really like Flying Dogs brews, but this is way to bitter and overcarbonated for my liking. I would not buy it again, in contrast to their Red Sky saison which I really like.

06-04-2012 05:31:52 | More by Mitchster
gillagorilla

2.71/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz. poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: Golden yellow with minimal head and decent lacing.

S: Smells like a farmhouse. Very nice floral champagne notes with fruity esters like very ripe apples, similar to a dry cider. It smells like an apple orchard that is actively juicing and making cider.

T: There are hops but they are all farmhouse flavors with wheaty pine, resinous grass. The aftertaste is all pine resin.

M: There is a mild carbonation that lends a slight bit of coarseness.

O: It is what it says it is, but I was expecting more of a saison-y IPA, with some decent carbonation and sweetness. Not to my liking, but I believe this is my first farmhouse IPA.

05-17-2013 02:09:50 | More by gillagorilla
DubbelDown

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

A: Looks good in a glass, nice pale color... robust head.

S: Pungent. Lots of spice and hops. Interesting and complex.

T: Not to my liking. Too overwhelmingly spicey. It may be a good example of this style, but not very drinkable for me (and especially not good at the price $11.00/6-pk).

M: Overwhelmingly foamy. Do not even attempt to drink it from a bottle, you'll only get a mouth of foam (I usually use a glass, but even then, the carbonation overwhelmed everything else). Not to my liking. On the one occasion I drank it from a bottle, it foamed over... this was the 5th or 6th drink from the bottle, and it was not set down hard (just a slight tap). I'm surprised the bottle can contain the forces of carbonation within.

O: Funky, spicy, and foamy. Not a terrible flavor, just not real good. Not what I expected from an IPA (I've yet to meet too many IPAs that I don't like) - Belgian style or otherwise.

08-24-2012 19:33:01 | More by DubbelDown
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a brilliant lemonade clouded godlen color with a big white frothing head large bubbles but sturdy carbonation, pour soft the beer is pretty agitated off the bat when you pop the cap you will hear the carbonation release. Aroma, first off lemon/lime notes with hints of tropical fruit dare I say mango/pineapple combo. A bit of funky yeast similar to the same yeast they use in Ragin' Bitch, spicy and a bit funky. Flavor wise this hits with big time bitterness from both hop additions, spicy yeast notes, black pepper qualities and something I can't pin my finger on. The artwork and the beer are pretty crazy I like how the new sixpack holders proudly state that this stuff is being brewed in Frederick, MD something us beergeeks have been in tune with since they left Denver years ago. Serve it a bit cold it masks some of the bitterness that I found kind of offensive in my first couple sips fade a bit. The yeast is bitter, the hops are bitter, and there seems to be citrus pith that is bitter with minimal sweetness masked by the Belgian yeast strain this beer is a bit of a cluster. Mouthfeel is cloyingly dry and bitter with layers of hops, spice, alcohol, citrus peel just downright awful texture starts to make me want to gag...also you have to deal with the high level of carbonation I'm pawning the rest of these beers off on my cousin Joe, who pretty much loves any beer from Flying Dog. Overall I will not revisit or waste my time on such a harsh beer drinking experience. I like Belgians,saisons, IPAs, white ales, but not when they're all blended together.

04-25-2012 05:37:03 | More by WVbeergeek