Wildeman Farmhouse IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: CraftBeerTastic on 01-27-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wildeman Farmhouse IPA Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, best by 8/6/2012. Pours very hazy golden amber color with a very nice 2-3 finger dense white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice soapy lacing clings to the glass as well. Aromas of big lemon, apple, pear, pepper, orange zest, clove, bubblegum, grass, herbal, and yeast spiciness. Very nice and well balanced aromas with good complexity. Taste of lemon, apple, pear, pepper, clove, orange zest, bubblegum, grass, herbal, and yeast spices. Good amount of spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruits, citrus, pepper, herbal, grass, clove, and yeast spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance of yeast flavors with hop flavors; with a good sweetness/bitterness balance as well. No cloying flavors. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a fairly slick and foamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very nice Belgian IPA. Nice flavor balance and complexity; and very smooth to sip on. Really enjoyable stuff.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Amazingly huge head! About 5 fingers on a half pour. The head is white, fluffy and peaky. Top is like meringue. Color is a light caramel, foggy from the yeast. Gorgeous beer.

S: Awesome Belgian yeast aroma. Fruity with some farmhouse must. Some sweet caramel malts. Almost a strawlike aroma. I smell some spicy hops.

T: The flavor is great, nice, drinkable balance between musty, slightly funky hops with spiciness. Malts are sweet caramel and the finish is a little sweet. Wish it was a little more bitter.

M: Good mouthfeel, medium body with fluffy carbonation.

O: It's unfortunate that it's so sweet but still good because it's fairly interesting. Far from the best Belgian IPA I've had but very good.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

We pour a brew with a sunny golden-wheat coloring. It holds a one and a half finger whitish head. The bubbles are tight and active. This shows good retention, leaving patterned lacing all around the glass. Foam is easily reproducible with a light swirl. Carbonation also appears higher, and no haze or sediment is noted. The aroma is bright with wheat and crystal malts, spicy coriander, and orange and lemon rind. It is initially very reminiscent of your standard Wit. Grassy hops and metallic, bready yeast quickly mix in, along with a bitter phenolic clove, and slight booziness. Our first impression is that the flavoring is very soft and fresh, with nicely savory malts. The taste opens up with fresh orange flesh and citric hops. Soft wheat mixes, with vanilla bean that is light and sweet. The middle moves forward with souring grain, lactics, and a much more bitter hop bite. The bitterness enhances through the finish, with a more powerful citric character on the back. The malts, however, prevail here, with that continued strength from the robust wheaty start. The aftertaste breathes of citric hops, steady malts, bitter wheat, bitter booze, and general sourness. The body is medium, and there is huge bubbly carbonation. There is big froth, slurp and cream to each sip, but it becomes so frothy it is hard to keep in all in your mouth and still get some flavoring. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks relatively easily.

Overall, the best thing about this beer was the appearance and the nose. The coloring was gorgeous, with a solid head to boot. The nose filled with a cooling and inviting aroma. This was, however, a bit malt heavy for the style, and surprisingly very much like a Witbier. These vibes also poured over a bit too much into taste, and we found things to stray a little too far from the stylistic path. It was a refreshing beer, nonetheless.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

I picked up a bottle of Flying Dog's Wildeman Farmhouse IPA last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. In my experience Flying Dog can be pretty hit or miss, but a Farmhouse IPA peaks my interest, I am expecting something like a very hoppy Saison, so lets see how it goes. It has a best buy date of August 7th 2012 Batch A. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- I like the label it's a little dark and weird, it's what I have come to expect from this brewery and I like that. The cap came off with a loud hiss and it poured a nice golden straw color that took on more of an orange and slightly straw color that was pretty hazy. It had just about five fingers worth of very fluffy and a little rocky white head that left tons of nice lacing and died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end. This is one great looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off very Saison like with some nice sweet malts and wheat up front that impart some wheat and grain aromas along with some candied sugar aromas. Up next comes some straw, grassy, and barnyard aromas followed by a light amount of tart and and slightly funky aromas. Next comes the hops which blend well with the Farmhouse aromas and impart a mix of citrus and floral hops with the citrus hops seeming to stick out the most. I like the aroma of this beer, it was really good, different, and interesting, the Farmhouse aromas worked very well with the hoppy aromas.

T- The taste is a little different from the aroma, it starts off with a real light grainy and wheaty flavor that is a little tart and pretty sweet, but it's quickly overpowered by tons of pretty bitter hops that give this beer a higher amount of bitterness and is a little to overpowering and imparts some citrus and floral flavors. Next comes a light tart and funky flavor followed by a slight straw and barnyard flavor that carries on over to the aftertaste with a little more bitter hops. This tasted ok, but I thought the hops were overly bitter and overpowered some of those great Farmhouse flavors.

M- A little smooth, crisp, prickly, medium bodied, with a higher amount of carbonation that made this beer feel fizzy. The mouthfeel was pretty average and too carbonated for such a bitter beer.

Overall I thought that this was an OK beer and a slightly above average example of the style, it was going in the right direction but this beer needed much more balance to it. This beer didn't have the greatest drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the flavors have a hard time holding my attention, one is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the aroma, they were both pretty damn good with a nice complex aroma and tons of great head. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of balance, less overly bitter hops and more farmhouse flavors could makes this a great beer. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I would rather have a Raging Bitch, it's worth a try, but don't expect it to blow your mind. All in All this beer was solid, but the lack of balance prevented it from being something great, I like that Flying Dog is blurring the line between styles but I think it could have been executed just a little better. I may need to try a fresh bottle, I was pretty sure this beer was newly released and it just showed up at The Lager Mill, that's why I am surprised to see it was a week away from being out of date, I don't really understand that.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a shaker: Mad 4-finger head that's loose but smooth & drops slowly, forming crags & craters. Body is a golden straw, transparent with just a few nucleation bubbles & bright highlights. Very nice, probably should've done a tulip for this one. Head settles at about 1&1/2 fingers & retains well. With the last pour, the beer turns cloudy.

Smells of apricot, peach, a little floral, a creamy kind of custard, some citrus, a little grassy. Definitely some farmhouse action going on here, more detectable than the IPA character.

Citrus is notable at first, but a smooth, round citrus, not bitter & jabbing. The peaches & apricots come through, but then halfway through things turn very bitter & dry. The bitterness is interesting, as it's not like most IPA bitterness I've had - it's almost more like bitter greens, a grassy, flattening kind of taste. The boozy, dry character gets very strong, too, & lasts way into the aftertaste. Not sure if what I'm tasting could be called "phenolic", but there's a kind of hot, plastic-like alcohol flavor to it (band-aid?). Mineral & stony, too, the way I sometimes liken Orval to licking a rock in my mind. A bit overpowering, really.

Full-bodied & effervescent, filling the way a lot of farmhouses are. That bitterness & dryness overwhelm my palate & paved over my tastebuds in a way I don't really care for.

I was really digging this going in - the look & smell were pretty admirable, but that steamroller of underbalanced bitterness & dryness were too much for me to really enjoy this.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz poured into a snifter

A- Pours clearish yellow orange with a massive threee finger white head. Head stays around for a while. Impressive lacing.

S- Aroma is hopp, there is a lot of mid country hop aspects. Some citrus and a skunkyness. Pine, pineapple, mango and lime. A little bit of wheat and light malt.

T- The hop presence is the same but more toned down then I was expecting. There is a lot of wheat and lemon grass. A really nice and fruity presence here, good stuff.

M- High in carbonation, bitter and has a nice body size to it. A very dry aftertaste.

O- Pretty darn good Farmhouse IPA, A little bitter and dry but nice stuff.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

My first BA review! Please forgive me if it is a bit elementary.

Bought a six-pack of bottles at Bestway in Greensboro, NC. I love that place!

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. I wasn't expecting such an aggressive head, so my pour slowed way down at the end. Color was a pleasant citrus yellow-orange, with a frothy strong near-white 2-inch head that stayed with the beer nearly all the way down.

Smell was definitely more citrus and wheat than hoppy ipa. Smells like a hefeweizen.

Taste is something entirely new to me. I've never had this Farmhouse style before, and I think I was expecting it to be more hoppy. Bitter citrus upfront, with only slight hop presence, and a relatively strong alcohol aftertaste. Given the 7.5% ABV I would expect some alcohol, but it could hidden better if body wasn't medium-light.

Mouthfeel is acidic-alcohol dry.

Overall, not bad. I was kind of turned off at first, but it definitely grew on me by the end. I would definitely drink it again, but not several in one session. I want to try others in this style as it is new to me.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours out of the bottle a nice clear yellow color with hints of brown towards the center. Bubbles race up to a head that doesn't last forever, but is white a frothy.

S: The IPA doesn't seem to be the focus here. Sweet, Belgian yeasts, candied sugar, and some barnyard funk. Certainly more farmhouse than IPA, perhaps that's why it comes first in the name!

T: Perhaps I held onto this one for too long as only some slight hop bitterness rests on the backend with some citrus notes. The saison is certainly more of a focus, but the IPA is certainly there. I like the balance, but I wish the hop presence was a bit more strong. Very sweet and slightly funky.

MF: The carbonation is solid as is the drinkability. The body is light and crisp on the tongue.

O: This beer was a nice experiment. I think they did a really good job of it. I'd love to try it a little more fresh!

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours golden with a slight amber hue presumably from the hops. Starts with a robust head and leaves some nice lacing. Eventually settles into a film.

The aroma is slightly tart and has some yeast characteristics. Floral hop notes sneak through bringing pine and lemon forward. It's very appealing but a bit too light.

The taste is a bit imbalanced to begin, but once it warms up it starts to shine. It seems like a standard Belgian ipa, but it's somewhat brighter in flavor and has its share of funk.

The body is medium in fullness but the carbonation makes it feel bigger than it is. The finish is moderately dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this is an interesting brew if nothing else. I like what it has going for it, but I thought it could use a little bit of refining by perhaps turning the bitterness slightly down.

3.22/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from session notes.

Pours out a cloudy egg yolk color with a stable two finger sudsy head. Minimal amounts of lacing left behind on the glass. Smells mostly of mandarin oranges and finely ground white pepper. To a lesser extent I smell floral and pine resin hops, fruity esters and some phenolic subtext. The flavor is somewhat medicinal at first, but pulls back into a more standard pine-centric punch that lacks nearly all of the subtleties that the nose presented. I'm left with a simplistic dry malt and boiled hop bitterness that lingers for way too long on the palate. Medium body and carbonation levels.
If only the taste matched the nuances of the nose more, I'd enjoy this one a lot more than this.

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

A- Aggressive pour leads to a full two inch white fluffy head. Body is a lively straw color. Nice clumpy lacing and great head retention.

S- Very crisp hay/funk aroma.

T- Barny smell translates well into the taste. Perhaps some pear and apple aspects going on in there as well. Hops are very present but not overpowering. Yeast, mayne. Wouldn't guess at 7.5%abv, so it has the drinkability factor thing going on.

M- Nice mouthfeel and well carbonated.

D/O- I never thought I'd say this (sarcasm) but I would consider this this Flying Dog offering to be a good 'beginner beer" for its style. That said, it's not bad....no off flavors that I can detect, just doesn't have the wow factor that many other Belgian IPAs do.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

P:  A body of glistening gold and excited carbonation holding up a mountain of white meringue head.  Retention is great a collapses around the sides leaving behind thick and sticky lacing while maintaining a high throne of dense pillowy clouds in the middle.

S:  Fresh soaked wheat, crisp citrus hop notes, subtle farmhouse funk yeast, and spices. Smell is super crisp and powerfully fresh.  Delicate but pronounced. Once warmed the alcohol is much like a sting to the nose which is not great.

T/M:  Taste follows the nose but has a nice dose of floral hops to balance out the sweet and the spice. Earthy flavors of sun dried grains, summer flowers, orange rind bitterness complimented by clove and a timid peppery bite.  Light-medium body with gentle carbonation that creates a refreshing delight. Finish is dry with orange rind and very very mild pine oil.

O:  Refreshing and clean this is truly a great summer beer that is easy to drink and really enjoyable. The bitterness is pronounced but not too overpowering. This is a great mix of farmhouse and IPA I'm glad I grabbed this up and will probably purchase more soon.

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass, best by 303 of 12. Pours straw yellow, with a one inch fluffy white head, with lots of lace. Smell is powerful clove, banana, grass, citrus, and biscuit. Taste clove, banana, citrus, and grapefruit, but very balanced in a aggressive way. Body is medium large, lots of carbonation, a little dry, and drinkable. I love how Flying Dog takes styles that aren't my favorite Belgian and Farmhouse and hop them up so I enjoy. Did it better with Raging Bitch, but really enjoyed this also.

Wildeman Farmhouse IPA from Flying Dog Brewery