Single Hop Imperial IPA (Citra) - Flying Dog Brewery

Single Hop Imperial IPA (Citra)Single Hop Imperial IPA (Citra)

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-06-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single Hop Imperial IPA (Citra) Alström Bros
xk6m6m5x

10-18-2013 21:01:49 | More by Mattias
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.05/5  rDev -26%

12oz bottle, I think I paid $2.79 but I'm just glad I did not purchase an entire six pack. Bright orange yellow color, good head, looks good. Aroma is muted hops and alcohol. Flavor is a bit of hops, not much bitterness at all and while the alcohol didn't really burn for such a big beer it was definitely noticeable in the flavor. Overall this was a very average showing and while they still sell beer here in CO at least we don't have to claim them as a Colorado brewery anymore. Mediocre.

06-15-2013 16:25:55 | More by ArrogantB
John_M

Oregon

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

On cask at Max's the other day.

So, I guess this makes the forth and final version of the single hop DIPA's from flying dog. I wish I could say it was the best of the lot, but IMHO, it's just not.

The beer pours a slightly hazy, golden amber color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose I get considerable orange citrus, along a whole bunch of pine, light pepper and some light dank weed. This DIPA smells as if it will be fairly dry and quite boozy. Check on both counts, as I took my first sip. While there is a considerable amount of orange citrus in this beer, it's completely drowned out by the amount of pine I'm getting. Coupled with the nearly staggering amount of heat I'm getting on the finish from the alcohol in this beer, it was a chore just to choke down the sampe size glass I ordered at Max's. The finish is otherwise pretty dry, as the hoppy bitterness completely drowns out the initial sweet malt flavor sensation I got on my first sip. Mouthfeel is soft and fairly full, and the finish is long, but alcohol is so noticeable in this beer, it almost made me want to gag. In combination with the excessive pine flavor, this is just way too much of a good thing.

I don't know. Maybe this just isn't my style of DIPA, but normally I don't mind a goodly dollop of pine in my DIPA's. However, it just seemed overdone in this hoppy, bitter DIPA, and coupled with the noticeable alcohol, I just didn't like it.

07-06-2012 16:07:15 | More by John_M

dbc5

06-06-2013 02:56:49 | More by dbc5
kevanb

3.29/5  rDev -20.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet.

The beer pours a fairly clear golden, copper color with a nice 2 fingers of cloudy, white head that has decent retention and leaves a nice web of soapy lace behind. The aroma is of sweet caramel malt, light citrus and fruity hops, a touch of pine but not much else, this is a massively malt forward nose that really hinders the citra hops. The flavors are very similar, lots of sweet malt, sugary alcohol, light citrus and fruit with a bit of floral character and a bit of pine. The body is thick, a bit chewy, with moderate to low carbonation that has a bit of a creamy finish that is hardly dry.

Verdict: A bit of a miss from Flying Dog, heavily malt forward that really doesn't let the Citra hop shine. The sweet and almost cloying malt bill and alcohol is really unappealing and the lack of complexity, balance and pizzaz renders this to be a boring IPA.

06-18-2013 02:51:20 | More by kevanb
jeobstel

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

08-19-2014 19:44:15 | More by jeobstel
kojevergas

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

10% ABV confirmed. 248A13 bottle code. Reviewed live. Self-identifies as an Imperial IPA on the label; I'm reviewing it as such. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with good label art and standard branded silver pressure cap acquired locally and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are strangely high; I've not been big on Flying dog in the past but I'm craving a good IPA.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger pleasant white colour head of nice frothy complexion, nice to good cream, good thickness, okay lacing (thin and inconsistent), and very good (~5-6 minute) retention for the high ABV. Appears soft and inviting. Body colour is a clear vibrant copper with visible ascending carbonation bubbles. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show per se. I'm excited to try it. Inviting across the board and spot on for the style.

Sm: Marvelous floral hop character - diverse and deep and pleasant. Fresh evergreen pine - natural and inviting. Pale malts. Light grapefruit citrus ester hop character. Light zest. Some bready malts. Light candy. Confection. Mango. Watermelon after suggested. Aromatic and intriguing, if not ideal for the style. It ventures a bit too far into those sweet confectionery and atypical tropical fruit notes for my tastes, but I'm looking forward to trying it. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. The watermelon is very interesting; I'm curious if it'll actually manifest in the taste. A pretty strong, assertive aroma. Bold and gripping. It's got my attention.

T: Hm. It's got a luxurious fruity hop character replete with watermelon, mango, a bit of pineapple, a dash of citrus (mainly grapefruit), and assorted hints of other tropical fruits. It goes a bit south for me when the confection-y notes emerge, joined also by overly sweet distracting cotton candy (candy floss for ye Brits). Supportive foundation is comprised of pale malts, bready malts, and some graininess. Not big on the pineapple. Some floral character helps lend it further diversity. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. It's certainly a bold, flavorful build for the style; this one isn't timid. But not all the flavours work. I will say that in spite of my personal distaste for some of the flavours, it balances all of them well. Complex, but far from subtle. There's a lot of flavour packed in here. It's much more multidimensional than most IPAs I've had, and I like that.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and lightly oily. Clean. Not very creamy. Pleasant and approachable; not harsh or biting. Good carbonation. The oily character is a highlight, though it does seem to coax out the confection and cotton candy notes a bit more. Good thickness and body. It's not too filling. Complements the flavour profile nicely.

Dr: Quite drinkable for the high ABV, but the mounting sweetness of the notes I dislike would prevent me from wanting another. Still, I think there's a lot to like about this beer, and I appreciate what it does with the style. It's not chasing trends; it's trying its own thing. Hard not to respect that. Would I get it again? Sure. I'd love to try it on-draught. Probably the tastiest brew I've had from Flying Dog yet. Glad I picked this one up.

High B-