Bloodline Blood Orange IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Beer added by: cps98 on 04-04-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 384 | Reviews: 47
4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was worried but would be overly orangey but it was actually just a hint or orange flavor. Smooth and tasty. The smell is lovely with a mix or orange and hops.

12 oz bottle...w/o freshness info that I can see

Pours near clear. Lighter orangy amber.

Oranges and hops on the sniff

Flavorful IPA with orange leaning citrus flourishes..Quite dry in the finish with more oranges, some moderate smokiness and a solid malt undercoating. Worthy IPA

2.82/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The beer looks good, the only real positive

2.86/5  rDev -29%

Looks good, smells decent, tastes not so good. disappointed

2.37/5  rDev -41.2%

Personally I was very disappointed in this beer. The smell and the coloring looked great, the taste and after taste on the other hand was horrible. I tried 3 of these to make sure my impression was correct an it was

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

Smooth, maintains, hops mild tasting

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

So far the best Blood orange beer I have had. Pretty much like a smooth IPA with fruit. I would easily pay the 11.99 price tag for a sixer

3.91/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer is pretty damn good nice orange aroma good color, not too hoppy nice subtle blend of orange flavor, not a huge IPA fan but this beer is awesome well done.

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A nice beer but nothing like an IPA. There is very little to no bitterness and the aromatic hops are all but absent. It is a very nice drinking beer, but not what I would consider an IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Very tasty. Obviously citrusy but too much on the orange. Bitter, dry finish to remind you that it is still an IPA. Very balanced.

2.77/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

interesting IPA typical bitterness from hops but a unique tartness from the blood orange

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Subtle blood orange flavor. I get it a lot in the aroma but not as much in the taste. Still a very good beer

3.54/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3/10/15 - (Draft The Laughing Man DC) - Nice amber body, mild carbonation, light head. Nice citrus and hops mix. Light taste, smooth light texture. Nice pour, decent kick.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%

Review #3,000 and it's about to get Bloody! Stand by as I take corrective action on the hosed up mess that is RRTA. I am so pissed that I am not in York tonight that I could scream, so instead, I am attacking the backlog. In a particular order.

From the bottle: "What brings us together, as brethren of good beer, is a bitterness that runs through our veins. Cast way your fears, embrace the craft, and join our flock."

I Pop!ped the cap and let fly since this was a fresh bottle. Two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head resulted and they decided to stick around, especially on the sides of the glass as lacing. Nose smelled deeply of bitter citrus and I might have said "grapefruit" if I was unaware of the trap. Blood Orange? Oooh. A lightly perceptible sweetness, but mostly citrus. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, barely making it past watery. Sorry, kids. I was also disappointed by the taste since if it was supposed to be an AIPA, it was not hophead sustainable. I was starting to jones for some hops and I had not even finished half of the glass. The finish straddled the line between semi-sweet and semi-dry and I just hoped that they had not wasted too many hops in its production. I really felt disappointed by the promise of this one.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

I purchased this 12oz in a mix a six from Brass Rail Deli in Campbelltown.
Enjoyed chilled in an IPA glass.

The color is brilliant amber/golden hued with very good clarity and 3 fingers of off white head with carbonation visible and very fine bead with lace that sticks in a web-like pattern. The smell has a very citrus dominant aroma with orange which is fitting with a light sweet malt scent and no alcohol apparent. The feel has a very citrus tangy and mildly bitter texture with medium high carbonation level and bitterness building inot a spicy and dry but gently sweet finish.

the taste has a very gentle citrus flavor at first with mild hop astringency and citrus flavors focused well on the orange (centennial?) with a nice amount of spicy herbal hop complimentary taste with nice juicy flavor high carbonation level distracts slightly from the hop but as it relaxes a nice tangy juicy profile emerges. The blood orange is not really as apparent in the taste as expected but I like the orange/hop flavors in this. Overall a very good IPA not everything I expected since it explicity mentions blood orange but very drinkable for the style...I would certainly have this again.

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Light copper. The nose has an essence of orange but it is more like a candied orange than a fresh one. A more natural tasting orange can be found in the flavor profile. Beyond the orange there is a bitter citrus essence that is more like grapefruit. The finish is very dry.

This is a decent offering but it did not come close to living up my expectations.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a slight orange smell with hops and malt. Smells good.
Appearance- An orange-ish color with a small white head.
Taste- It is a good citrus based IPA, I get a well balanced blend of malt and hops with this.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with mild carbonation.
Overall- A real solid American IPA. If you like IPAs you should enjoy this.

3.91/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad beer but I expected more blood orange flavor.

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

Picked this up recently in Totowa, having never had this before. I was expecting this to be a bit too syrupy for me but as the ratings on here indicate, this turned out to be better than I anticipated and quite a nice surprise. The blood orange flavors and the hops combined for an interesting taste, even if it wasn't as light as other beers of this style, and combined with the pleasant appearance of this, led me to finish this off pretty quickly!

The pour to this was nice, as it had a rich copper hue, foaming head, and wonderful rings of lacing that were left behind once I worked my way through this. Not a strong aroma to this but there was enough of a hint of the taste to come in the blood orange citrus, earthy hops, and heavy pine that meshed well together. All of those were in the taste as well as the hint of citrus puree, a dry-hopped undertone, and some skunky week for good measure! This wasn't as wet or juicy as I would have been first guessed as it was just a tad too heavy from start to finish.

That wasn't the case with the booze as there was only a hint of it in the taste and added to the warming sensation that this beer gave me. IPA's are so common but to find one with an edge to it is always a good thing and that was the case here. This did not feel artificial and the citrus didn't overwhelm everything else. Fun stuff that stood out among Flying Dog's offerings and would be a great alternative to all the fruit and vegetable beers that will be hitting the shelves soon.

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

This is an amazing IPA. It has that orange smell, when you hold it in your mouth that taste follows through and just awesome. I will say it looks like any IPA. Honestly, I'd take this over Hopslam

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

Oddly my second blood orange beer of the evening. Pure coincidence and no plan there. Kind of an earthy character on this one, in sort of a "dirty" kind of way. Blood orange is definitely present in a somewhat one-dimensional aspect. Seems a bit too much of the fruit and not enough hops. Either blood orange is a very strong fruit, or they are just putting too much of it in these types of beers and it is overpowering all other aspects that could be showcasing more subtle character.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is really nice and floral good orange.
Flavor is more malt than orange. Just ok

2.79/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, cloudy, copper color, speckled with yellow and orange highlights and a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very hoppy up front, followed by some wheat and a touch of citrus, but a lot less than I was expecting from the name of the beer. The predominate aroma, overpowering really, is floral, piney, hops.

Taste: Disappointing actually. There’s hardly any malt flavor at all, nor is there any blood orange citrus flavor. All I get is hops, bitter, piney, hops, which is a shame. No balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty smooth as there is very little carbonation. With an ABV of 7.0%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: I’m very disappointed in this beer. I was really looking forward to tasting some citrus flavors from the blood orange and possibly some spice, but unfortunately, all I get/taste is hops. Hop heads should really like this beer, but alas, I do not. After looking this beer up on Beer Advocate I see that it is an IPA, but makes sense for all the hops that the beer has. Had I known it was an IPA, meaning had that been on the label, I would not have gotten it.

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Yard House in Springfield, VA. Rated from memory. Delicious and will buy when I see it near home.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my new favorite go-to IPA. Love the citrus aroma of this one.

to view more.