Bloodline Blood Orange IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 383 | Reviews: 47
Reviews by starrdogg:
2.37/5  rDev -41.2%

Personally I was very disappointed in this beer. The smell and the coloring looked great, the taste and after taste on the other hand was horrible. I tried 3 of these to make sure my impression was correct an it was

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

The smell is what should be expected from a good IPA, piney with notes of citrus. In this case, blood orange dominates. Great smell that leads you to believe you are about to taste great beer.

The taste exceeds expectation. You are first hit with a blast of blood orange flavor. Toward the back end of the sip the pine flavor really becomes apparent. However, the blood orange remains at center stage. The after taste is, you guessed it, orange. I am very impressed that the blood orange flavor remains consistent throughout. Perhaps the most impressive part is that this orange flavor somehow manages to not overpower the integrity of it being an IPA.

I rarely ever say this, but this beer has reached an almost perfect balance. In my experience, flavors can often overpower the style of beer and vice versa. The fact that the blood orange flavor is this apparent and consistent and yet does not take away from the style makes this beer a true gem. I would highly reccomend this Flying Dog brew.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Subtle blood orange flavor. I get it a lot in the aroma but not as much in the taste. Still a very good beer

12 oz bottle...w/o freshness info that I can see

Pours near clear. Lighter orangy amber.

Oranges and hops on the sniff

Flavorful IPA with orange leaning citrus flourishes..Quite dry in the finish with more oranges, some moderate smokiness and a solid malt undercoating. Worthy IPA

2.79/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, cloudy, copper color, speckled with yellow and orange highlights and a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very hoppy up front, followed by some wheat and a touch of citrus, but a lot less than I was expecting from the name of the beer. The predominate aroma, overpowering really, is floral, piney, hops.

Taste: Disappointing actually. There’s hardly any malt flavor at all, nor is there any blood orange citrus flavor. All I get is hops, bitter, piney, hops, which is a shame. No balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty smooth as there is very little carbonation. With an ABV of 7.0%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: I’m very disappointed in this beer. I was really looking forward to tasting some citrus flavors from the blood orange and possibly some spice, but unfortunately, all I get/taste is hops. Hop heads should really like this beer, but alas, I do not. After looking this beer up on Beer Advocate I see that it is an IPA, but makes sense for all the hops that the beer has. Had I known it was an IPA, meaning had that been on the label, I would not have gotten it.

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A nice beer but nothing like an IPA. There is very little to no bitterness and the aromatic hops are all but absent. It is a very nice drinking beer, but not what I would consider an IPA.

2.77/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

interesting IPA typical bitterness from hops but a unique tartness from the blood orange

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a slight orange smell with hops and malt. Smells good.
Appearance- An orange-ish color with a small white head.
Taste- It is a good citrus based IPA, I get a well balanced blend of malt and hops with this.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with mild carbonation.
Overall- A real solid American IPA. If you like IPAs you should enjoy this.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great Deep amber-orange, almost completely clear. Minimal head and lacing. Aroma is of Piney Hops and blood orange. Blood orange is very pronounced. I am a Chef and I know bllod orange flavor, they hit it on the head!!. Taste is nice and hoppy with a nice back of the blood orange, once again !,. Very nice clean finish with a hint of orange peel. The orange rind/blood orange aftertaste is fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!

A: Gold color with amber highlights, bubbly, good head
S: Grapefruit, hops, dank, overly ripe citrus
M: Medium body, good carbonation
T: Strong note of citrus peel, hints of fleshy fruits; sweet in the middle, bitter in the finish

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

A - pretty standard IPA appearance, though this one may be on the oranger side, appropriately. Nice creamy head and lacing.

S - The nose bursts with bright, fresh orange/tangerine/peach juiciness as soon as it hits the glass. The smell seems to mellow pretty substantially after that though.

T - A quick pop of piney hops and then a prickly orange/tangerine streak running through it, supported by light caramel. There's a constant interplay between pine and citrus juice that keeps things interesting. There are also some pink fruits on the finish, like guava and passion fruit.

M - mouthfeel is pretty standard-ish and pleasant. Both slick and creamy at times.

Overall, this beer is a really solid, refreshing summer IPA that still retains its punch.

3.54/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3/10/15 - (Draft The Laughing Man DC) - Nice amber body, mild carbonation, light head. Nice citrus and hops mix. Light taste, smooth light texture. Nice pour, decent kick.

4.07/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass, cause I am lazy.

What a great looker, deep bronze orange body and crystal clear. Some thin almost cola size but slightly smaller bubbles rising just a little. Head is creamy off white, a little tan perhaps four fingers tall but not too aggressive. Some clump side lacing and solid retention.

Real interesting nose. Juiced up orange. Lots of zest and pith bitterness it seems. Orange oil. Quite fun but not containing much else. It is quite enjoyable however.

Real interesting beer. Comes off more as a fruit beer, with a little hop touch. Slightly biscuity malt finish, with matching orange fruit and juiced quality. A big stinging quinine like tonic sense, not quite mineral like but close, very hard to describe. Palate is fruit punch wet a little slightly, and some hop peppery like nots just a tad.

This comes off more as just a real enjoyable fruit beer than a wowzer IPA which is fine by me.

2.86/5  rDev -29%

This is remarkably pleasant, for an IPA. Being in a minority of beer drinkers who aren't particularly fond of IPAs, I was offput that the label on the bottle simply says "ale". What I expected was something citrusy and pleasant on the palette, perhaps a -little- bitter and very refreshing. What I got was significantly hopped, overpowering the orange flavor involved more than a little, but still very refreshing. Labeling the packaging (box and bottle) to indicate an IPA derivative would have spared me purchasing this beer: the hops are simply too overpowering when compared to the citrus involved.

I will be finishing what I bought, but not buying again. Lesson learned: don't trust the writing on Flying Dog packages without verifying. Should you happen to love IPAs however, it will prove a slightly pricey but enjoyable experience.

3.91/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer is pretty damn good nice orange aroma good color, not too hoppy nice subtle blend of orange flavor, not a huge IPA fan but this beer is awesome well done.

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Yard House in Springfield, VA. Rated from memory. Delicious and will buy when I see it near home.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

So far the best Blood orange beer I have had. Pretty much like a smooth IPA with fruit. I would easily pay the 11.99 price tag for a sixer

3.69/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at the Roast House in Frederick Md. Beer had light hop scent. Taste was some citrus hop up front but then very bitter. Lingering bitterness as well. Somewhat out of balance. Very thin mouthfeel and watery. Overall this isn't one of flying dogs better IPAs. Don't really recommend this one.

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

This is an amazing IPA. It has that orange smell, when you hold it in your mouth that taste follows through and just awesome. I will say it looks like any IPA. Honestly, I'd take this over Hopslam

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%

Review #3,000 and it's about to get Bloody! Stand by as I take corrective action on the hosed up mess that is RRTA. I am so pissed that I am not in York tonight that I could scream, so instead, I am attacking the backlog. In a particular order.

From the bottle: "What brings us together, as brethren of good beer, is a bitterness that runs through our veins. Cast way your fears, embrace the craft, and join our flock."

I Pop!ped the cap and let fly since this was a fresh bottle. Two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head resulted and they decided to stick around, especially on the sides of the glass as lacing. Nose smelled deeply of bitter citrus and I might have said "grapefruit" if I was unaware of the trap. Blood Orange? Oooh. A lightly perceptible sweetness, but mostly citrus. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, barely making it past watery. Sorry, kids. I was also disappointed by the taste since if it was supposed to be an AIPA, it was not hophead sustainable. I was starting to jones for some hops and I had not even finished half of the glass. The finish straddled the line between semi-sweet and semi-dry and I just hoped that they had not wasted too many hops in its production. I really felt disappointed by the promise of this one.

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Light copper. The nose has an essence of orange but it is more like a candied orange than a fresh one. A more natural tasting orange can be found in the flavor profile. Beyond the orange there is a bitter citrus essence that is more like grapefruit. The finish is very dry.

This is a decent offering but it did not come close to living up my expectations.

3.91/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad beer but I expected more blood orange flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Very tasty. Obviously citrusy but too much on the orange. Bitter, dry finish to remind you that it is still an IPA. Very balanced.

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 FL. OZ. bottle into a pint glass. Best before day 281 (October 8) of 2014.

Appearance: Pours a clear light orange/amber. Soft carbonation and a billowy white head.

Smell: Citrus and tropical fruits come rocking out of the bottle. Smells very good. I love the aroma from the Citra and Galaxy hops.

Taste: Not a ton of strong flavor except for being very bitter. The Citra/Galaxy hops are not as evident in the flavor unfortunately. I don't taste the blood orange puree nor the "natural flavorings" either.

Mouthfeel: Nice and light, aforementioned strong bitterness, slight alcohol.

Overall: Great aroma, a little lacking in the flavor department.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I had this last year on tap, and was under the impression that it would be a one and done. Last years Bloodline was probably the best beer to ever come out of flying dog. This years bloodline was just not nearly as exciting. They definitely dialed it down on this one, my guess is for marketing purposes. So needless to say going from a delicious palate wrecking citrusy IPA, to a basic pale ale with a hint of citrus was quite a disappointment! Still a decent brew, but sad that they went from what myself and everyone else that I talked to about last years bloodline thought was a world class IPA, to a middle of the road pale ale. Weak shit brophy.

to view more.