Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale - Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple ImpérialeBrasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-14-2004)
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Blood orange with ripe orange peel edges. A massive amount of carbonation can be seen leaping off the bottom of the glass and slamming into the underside of a fluffy, airy head of pale gold that is still massive several minutes after the pour. Unfortunately, the foam isn't tacky in the least and leaves almost no lace.

I'm much more impressed with the nose. It's dark fruity and spicy and is everything that I like about BSDAs. I smell whiskey and dark rum-soaked figs, caramel, brown sugar and clove intensive yeast. I'd almost believe that the beer was aged in charred oak barrels that had previously held bourbon, but that doesn't sound very monkish to me.

Triple Imperiale is good beer. Still though, I'm not sure that it belongs in the top-100. At least not in my top-100. I'm pretty sure the brewery has quality control issues; especially since my first two bottles (that were still more than a year away from their 'best by' dates) were drain pours due to a huge amount of coagulated protein.

The flavor profile follows the nasal profile. It's sweet and fruity (cherries now come to mind) and spicy, all at once. The most amazing thing is that there's no trace of alcohol, something that's almost unheard of in a 10%'er. Actually, the beer tastes aged rather than fresh. The 'best by' date (end 2008) would suggest that it's the latter.

The reason that I'm not gobsmacked by Triple Imperiale is that it lacks depth and complexity. It doesn't have that dizzying array of flavors that expand in all directions when beer hits mouth, as the truly world-class versions have. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the 11.2 ounce bottle though. I never said that it isn't good, just that it isn't great.

The mouthfeel may be the biggest reason why I think 'aged' every time I drink. It's infinitely smooth, but lacks that expansiveness and silky creaminess that I look for in Belgian beer. In addition, it isn't as viscous as I'd expect for the amount of sweetness. It looks like all those frenetic bubbles burned themselves out way too soon.

Given that others have been floored by this Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs offering, I'm prepared to believe that I got a less than perfect bottle. The problem is, there are any number of great BSDAs out there that are stunning each and every time I pop the cap. I'll try another bottle or two, but I'm not interested in playing Belgian roulette too many more times.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 05, 2007

aszatk01, Mar 22, 2014

Maillard, Feb 10, 2014

Zekenyce, Jan 30, 2014
3.54/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice. Best before 10/05/14 (10 May?).

A: Light burnished copper. Light white head with good lacing.

S: Caramel sugar. Apples and pears. Hint of phenol and spice.

T/M: Thinnish and odd. Vanilla. Pear. Can't taste the strength at all. The taste is so brief as to be ephemeral. Aftertaste is lightly sour.

O: It's good, but too strange to great. Maybe I got a strange bottle. Would try again, if not soon.

AgentMunky, Jan 09, 2014

apasternak, Dec 17, 2013

steamboatbrewer, Dec 02, 2013

bobv, Nov 16, 2013

dcmchew, Oct 31, 2013
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a snifter

A: Light brown with a tan one-finger head that dissipates into tiny bubbles. Frothy lacing.

S: Bourbon, nutty, earthy, rum, sugar, caramel. Bring it on.

T: Follows nose. Smooth as hell. Nutty, dark fruits, malts and caramel. Love it. The 10% kicks in with gusto.

M: Medium with frothy carbonation.

O: A great celebration drink. I would say it's my favorite of the 3 des Rocs I've tried, but I love them all equally. Highly recommended for Belgian brew fans.

brewskifan55, Oct 30, 2013

Beersnake1, Oct 20, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

mrjbrown27, Oct 02, 2013

Luiz0930, Sep 16, 2013
Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.