Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale - Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple ImpérialeBrasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-14-2004

1.96/5  rDev -53.1%

Poured into a La Trappe chalice on 10/8/12

Best before: 05/08/2013

Ok, this ain't right. Early on into the pour, large chunks and clumps of stuff start dumping into the glass. This crud leaves small, large and in-between sized floaties throughout the glass. That, coupled with a murky, muddy brown, makes this look like high liquid content vomit. The head is the most sinister foam I've ever seen. A thin layer is fed by bubbles rising consistently. Lace starts to form at the thicker collar and there is a festering eye in the center of the beer; seriously, the foam is multi-colored in such a way it looks like a gray pupil and a parchment yellow retina. The eye pulses, like it's being eaten by maggots from the inside. Several small brown specks have made their way to the top and are suspended in the foam.

The aroma, on the other hand, is pretty good. Heavy on malts and moderate on fruits. Loads of dark bread, brown sugar, butter toffee, banana, cinnamon, figs, molasses and maybe a faint suggestion of cocoa. Overall, the aromatics can be summed up as largely that of banana nut bread. Notions of caramel squares. Apples, as it warms.

Whatever is left in the bottles smells like burned cinnamon raisin bread.

Ooh, something is amiss indeed. The taste is vapidly dry. Burnt cocoa dust comes to mind. It also has dead fruits; apple, pear and banana are dulled beyond all hope. Paper, cardboard, oxidation. Moving past these unpleasantries are notes of bread and toasted sugars, but hardly enough to salvage this beer.

There's so much shit floating around in the glass that I can't bring myself to take more than a tiny sip at a time; even tiny sips bring forth fizzy, effervescent carbonation.

Whatever bubbled up and caused that eye to form has continued to do. Now that part of the head has peeled back, I can see a steady stream of flakes and such being pushed out from the middle. This is starting to look like fish food in a filthy tank being flushed about by a water pump.

What the hell is going on with this beer? Please, oh please, let this be a bad bottle. The aroma makes me think this beer had promise somewhere along the way. As is, it's down right bad. The appearance alone has me close to squeamish.

2.38/5  rDev -43.1%

From a 1 pint, 9.4 fl. oz bottle with elegant black foil, I must say that I really expected more from this... Upon opening the cap, I was greeted with a huge whiff of alcohol which permeated from the bottle... Aroma is similar to a dark, spiked apple cider, which was quite surprising... nothing really appealing about the appearnce... pours a watery, brown color, perhaps slightly ruby-red with minimal lacing and head... Aroma wasn't very enticing - strong alcohol with perhaps some plum notes... taste was more of a disappointment than anything else... the bottle logo reads "Belgian Special Dark Ale" - but the flavor was a negative shock... strong alchol and raisin flavor with slight figs, prunes, and plum taste... very watery with a strong alcohol presence... expected much more from this brew and was really let down with this one... I'm not sure what they were thinking but this does not taste like any true Belgian that I have ever sampled... Did not enjoy this one at all, and for the money that I shelled out for this one, was pretty upset that I didn't even end up finishing the bottle... Don't bother...

2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

Never again. I've had some nasty "What's this in my beer" experiences, but this takes the cake. Talk all you will about the alcohol notes, the brown sugar aroma, or the figgy pudding taste. It does little to negate the fact that it looks like someone splooged in my beer.

I've had floaties and sediment in my beer, and that's ok. This is beyond that though. Off-putting in the worst possible way. Drain Pour.

2.42/5  rDev -42.1%

Appearance: Poured from a foiled/capped 750ml bottle. Nice presentation. The beer itself is a slightly cloudy dark amber with a huge layer of foam on top.

Smell: Sickly sweet dried fruit, brown sugar and a touch of alcohol. I found this somewhat gag-inducing in its sweetness.

Taste: The taste is just as sweet as the smell; figs, raisins, dried tropical fruits, prune juice, molasses... Absolutely no balance, it's excessively rich and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and perhaps a touch overcarbonated.

Drinkability: I can't see myself ever wanting to drink this again, it's entirely too sweet for me.

2.61/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours a nice ruby red with lots of brown infused throughout. A good tan head with rather large bubbles on it. Not the color of your average triple.
Smell is malt and hops. Expected more but couldn't find it.
Taste is malty, with dark fruit all over and a light hop presence.
Mouthfeel is quite watery, not at all what I expected, but smooth. No indication that this is a 10% ABV brew anywher from smell through the last sip.
Drinkability is just all right. The flavor is good and slightly rich but with little for the nose and the watery feel I don't think that is enough to carry it into the ranks of the good triples.

2.61/5  rDev -37.6%

A serious dissapointment. I had a 750 of this stuff and was really looking forward to it.

First aroma: Alcohol. Second aroma: Alcohol. First taste: Alcohol. Tasted like a nice imperial stout with a dash of Everclear in it. I didn’t feel the 10% ABV either, which was ironic.

Lots of floaties in the bottle. I tried really hard to keep them in the bottle, but they were not flocculating out like yeast, so I don’t know (or want to know) what they were.

It was a job to finish the bottle. Perhaps it would have been better in another 6-12 months.

I might try it again but this bottle was not worth the try.

2.79/5  rDev -33.3%

Bottle from Beertopia in Omaha, NE
Best by 2013-05-08
Poured into a New Belgium globe glass

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale is a Belgian strong dark ale that arrives from a brewery fairly notorious for the large amounts of sediment floating in the beer. I found this beer to be mildly complex in aroma and flavor, but in unpleasant ways. Fruit esters and sweetness were overabundant, and the other flavors did not add much of interest and may have contributed to the unpleasant overall experience. I did not feel that this beer was delicate or particularly nuanced, which may not have been an issue if it were desirably good in flavor and aroma. The abundance of positive reviews suggest that I either obtained an oxidized bottle (or some other flaw), which is of course a possibility, but it remains that I wouldn't seek this out again except if I were, by some lucky chance, visiting the brewery.

Pours a voluminous, >3cm head of large bubbles, fairly dark tan in color. Yeast addition to the beer is unintentional, but impossible not to do (even tried using a strainer, but that failed to keep the yeast back). Head has solid retention, lasting several minutes before reducing to a ring around the glass with a few islands of spotty foam atop the body. Lacing is fairly substantial and includes a good bit of yeast. Body is expectedly cloudy, a brown-amber color, with suspended sediment and carbonation visible.

Aroma is of deep toffee-like malts and yeast, lots of yeast, with noticeable ethanol warmth, a bit of brown sugar, old wine, and dark cherry-like fruit esters. Despite this sounding quite nice, I was not particularly pleased with the aroma; there was something off about the combination and intensities of certain scents within the mix.

Taste is similar to smell, with yeast, dark cherry fruit esters, old wine, sweet toffee-like malts, ethanol, old leather, and a bit of stale cola flavor. Again, flavors are not particularly compelling, desirable, or tasty. Aftertaste is cloyingly sweet, like a bad doppelbock.

Beer is medium-bodied with carbonation that is initially a bit too high, but calms down over time. The result is a fairly smooth beer, perhaps a bit watery around the edges, and with noticeable ethanol warming on the tongue, throat, and in the nostrils.

2.86/5  rDev -31.6%

A: Pours a murky brown with barely any khaki head that quickly vanishes with no lacing.

S: Belgian spice notes up front followed by a lot of sweet bread aromas. Sweet fruit and caramel notes come through with a slightly boozy finish.

T: Spices here as well before a big kick of caramely, fruity, and bready sweetness. The finish has a decent alcohol presence.

M: Medium-thick body with low carbonation, this beer is definitely underattenuated and could use a lot more carbonation and a lighter body.

O: A pretty unimpressive beer overall. Too sweet and boozy and lacking depth and finesse found in the best examples of the style. Not undrinkable, but nowhere near good.

2.92/5  rDev -30.1%

750 ml champagne style bottle. Capped, Corked and foiled. Tons of huge floaties in the body made this unattractive. Normally I wouldn't mind but this was chalk full of it. Copper body is topped by a swiss coffee firm head.

I'm greeted with a tin like metallic twinge. Eeeeek. The sweetness is overpowering and cloying and syrupy. Ughhh. Nice mix between lighter fruits and heavier fruit depth. Caramel is a huge factor and carries the workload. Very similar to the grand cru if I remember correctly. I remember having one of these a couple months ago thinking I wasn't a big fan but I'd give it another shot when I was home to give it a fair shake. Well, I'm at home and this is still the same overly sweet caramel bomb I remember.

Notes: Its not for me. I know this carries an excellent reputation but I've never been able to grasp its goodness. Its in there I"m sure but I can't find it. Give this one some time to settle.

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

12oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours lighter than expected: a caramel & breadcrust shade of brown. It looks like a brown ale in many respects. A lovely butterscotch head of 1.25 fingers forms, leaving walls of lacing around the entirety of the glass. It's too bad that this beer has, as BA member FernMaster once wrote about another Brasserie des Rocs beer, more floating particles than the first level of Vectorman. Nasty protein clumps fill the glass from the first second of the pour. They make a pretty beer ugly, like Ron Paul tshirts do to girls. It's gross.

Thankfully, this beer has a pretty solid aroma. Candied apples, fruitcake, butterscotch, distant rum, cherry-vanilla, a distant herbal component. No surprises, but everything works well together.

Attempting to drink this beer around the island-sized clumps of protein is difficult. Seriously, I think that Oceanic flight 815 crashed over one of these things. I eventually spooned out the giant ones. The beer itself, well, it's alright. Some warming alcohol notes, lots of fruitcake flavors. A bit of a cola taste on the midpalate, before fading to a pretty meh, sickly-sweet malt finish. This is average stuff. I'd be having a better time drinking it though if I could take normal human sized sips.

The mouthfeel is hard to gauge. I mean, let enough liquid into your mouth and the beer feels like you're drinking cottage cheese. That's not good. If you can somehow strain the beer, then it's ultimately sort of watery for the style. It lacks the proper attenuation that I expect from a BSDA that is on the lighter side of the style.

Overall, I'm going to say that this is an average beer for the style. Because, if you mostly ignore the yeast islands, it is. If you heavily consider the yeast islands though, ugh.

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

Best before 2007. So excited to try this. Off comes the cap and foam starts oozing out. Whaaa?

APPEARANCE: Man, this is 2 Brasserie des Rocs beers out of 2 that have the massive yeasty chunkiness going on in it. Other than that, it's a nice brown color with vague ruby highlights. The head is big and strong and will not go anyplace.

SMELL: Very sweet aroma of cherries and dark fruits. It's the faintest bit spicy and a bit of brown sugar is detectable.

TASTE: Sweet and fruity with the same cherry as in the aroma. Yeastiness is present but somewhat subdued. It becomes a bit tart and finishes a little spicy and even a bit bitter. A pungent yeast flavor remains in your mouth after swallowing.

MOUTHFEEL: A nice sharp carbonation, but I have to dock points for the chunks. No matter how much I tried to decant this or strain it through my teeth, the chunks are there.

DRINKABILITY: It seems such a shame. I refuse to drain pour this, but it's going to be rough going trying to drink this. I will enjoy it the best I can.

I so wish I could try a Brasserie des Rocs beer that was 100% liquid. It'll take a lot of convincing to get me to buy another bottle though. It's too bad.

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

Reviewed 10/6/2007:

Pours a dark brown red color, slight tannish head, somewhat lasting. Dark grape aroma, very strong & wine-y. Very strong aroma. Strong dark fruit taste. Sour aftertaste. Malty grapey taste. Odd but not really my style. Some dark Belgians I like, some I don't. This one falls in the don't category for me.

Best before end: 2010.

Pours from a 330ml brown bottle into a globe.

It has a murky redish brown color and I have to stop mid pour to avoid the massive chucks floating in the bottle. I expect some of these sediments in a bottle conditioned beer but there is way too much of it here. The head it has at first dwindles to nothing in a flash. There is barely even a ring of white around the edge and no lacing.

Aroma is sweet and reeks of sour cherries, brown bread, and rotten apples. Not off to a good start...

Flavor is sweet and sour with more of those cherries and apples from the aroma. Add to that some banana and strawberry and you have one funky fruity beer. Far too sweet and not enough depth or complexity for a Belgian strong dark ale.

Mouthfeel is fine for the style with full body and strong carbonation. Drinkability is unsurprisingly poor given that it's so sweet and so strong.

One little bottle is more than enough.

3.05/5  rDev -27%

A: This one was a gusher. Pours a chestnut brown hue with an insane head. Tons of floaters and some lace.

S: As big and dark as they come. Tons of dark fruit, figs,raisins, and plums literally ooze from the nose on this one. Hints of yeast can be detected along with a touch of spice.

T: Matches nose. Tons of dark fruit as much as I have ever tasted in a beer. The yeast comes out real nice. Hints of caramel, brown sugar, spice and alcohol as well.

M: Medium to full bodied, very rich.

D: Not the most drinkable. Too rich in dark fruit for me.

3.21/5  rDev -23.2%

Sampled on 5-24-08

Pours a clear amber-red, with big chunks of yeasty floaters and a sizable off-white head (I tried to pour it well, but failed.)

Smell is super sweet and boozy, with an odd, pungent sour aroma. Very interesting.

Taste is very, very odd. Fruity at first, followed by a vegetable quality that I can't quite place. The finish is slightly sour, with a tiny alcohol edge. Not particularly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is good, maybe a little thin, but with pleasant carbonation.

Drinkability is not very good, the strange flavors make it hard to finish.

Overall, a disappointment. Different, but not good.

3.22/5  rDev -23%

A- Dark resiny brown in color with minimal head. Pours semitransparent and leaves minimal lacing. Lots of huge floating chunks. I did not pour it; maybe the pourer should have left more in the bottom of the bottle.

S- Raisins, plums, figs and brown sugar.

T- Close to the nose with the dark fruits and brown sugar. Honey and molasses are other similar tastes present.

M- Mid to thick and carbonation was low.

D- Sweet and sugary. Not very drinkable to me.

Overall- I had never heard of this one before I had it at my friends house. After seeing the high score, I am a little confused. To me, it was way too sweet and the appearance was pretty gross. I would not seek it out, but I guess it would be worth another shot someday.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a super cloudy reddish brown with a medium tan head. Smells strongly of phenols and rusty metals. Taste is toffee sweet up front, a bubblegum and wierd soapy flavor with a surprisingly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is quite good though, nice and creamy with a nice low carbonation. Drinkability is Average, overall this is an OK beer, but for the money, there are much better options.

EDIT: The expiration date was over a year away, so it was not a beer that was too old.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Looks great. Chunky, deep red/brown, and hazy. Has a tan head with good lacing. A mean lookin' brew. Nose is sweet fruits and alcohol, with something heavier but hard to identify coming through. So far so good. The taste is lacking- the alcohol hits hard and lingers, and you get just a mild bit of sugary sweetness and a bitter finish. Not very impressive. It's also thin, which is surprising considering how intense it looks. Drinkability... well you judge based on the ABV.

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

This is gonna go down as one of my bigger disappointment beers ever. Poured a garnet brown in color with hardly any head. Light could penetrate when held up to a light source, but it would have difficulty piercing through. Nose was sickly sweet malty with some rpunes and figs. Flavor was not nearly as yeasty as I was expecting. It was kind of flat and dull. The malts came across as a bit too sweet and the fruit I picked up in the aroma came through as overripe. Picked up some cherries too which kind of saved this beer for me. Alcohol was also very nicely hidden. Mouthfeel was surprisingly lighter than I thought. However, my taste buds were kind of soured on this beer and I did not feel like order another.

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

This is a 750 mL bottle of Triple Imperial served in a Chimay goblet. The ale is cool.

A: The ale is a tawny port color with a thick (and explosive) head.

S: The nose is spicy with some curacao aromas.

T: Taste is fruity with an odd edge. I find the following flavors in a sip: smokiness, lemony tartness and chocolate.

M: The mixture of flavors is somewhat uninspiring, not my favorite from Brasserie des Rocs.

D: I'll stick with the Brune, as this one wants to do too much but doesn't quite make it there.

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Dark brown and mahogany brew with a small head and a ton of floating particles. Smells of bready malts. Tastes are bready malt, candied sugar, raspberries and a bit of citrus hop. Very rich sweetness. Medium body with low carbonation. A good sipper, but I don't think I'd buy it again.

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

The Triple Imperiale poured a dark brown color with a strong 3-4 finger foam head that started foaming as soon as I un-capped it. On the top of the head it looked like fine brown sugar in between the white head.

Aroma was brown sugar and yeasty. The taste was sweet and malty. Dates, figs and fairies jumped around in my head. The abv was well hidden as the 10 percent didn't make much of a mark. In the mouth this one was nicely carbonated but just too much yeast or protein flowing around in large chunks. Overall I had to give this one a lower score on the final as it became hard to drink because of the excess chunks. Other than that is was good.

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

No head to speak of. It's not really that old, a good 5-6 months in the cellar shouldn't affect that. Otherwise, a nice dark ruby tone.

Smell is immediately tart and fruity. A little malt.

Taste is definitely fruit forward, there is a tart... no, sour quality I cannot put my finger on.. but it lingers more than anything. It has a wild yeast character that is more likable as it warms. Definitely a woody character. A hint of cherries and spice. As it warms the flavors become more inviting.

Carbonation seems low for a Belgian. It lacks a crisp dry finish. Medium-Full bodied.

Definitely let it warm up before trying it. It is so much better as it warms. Complex... a bit fruity for me, but enjoyable nonetheless.

3.42/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

The sight of this beer is not pretty the floaters of sediment are pretty off putting. I understand that sediment is normal in beers like this. But this sediment stayed in suspension in does not settle. The mouth feel is similar to that of that weird chicken fat skin that forms on chicken soup. So you feel the chunks. I suppose if it was strained it would be better even if it were to sacrafice the carbonation.
Smell is boozy and raisny, when it really warmed up it smelled of wet dog.
Taste is syrup sweet but not cloying. Malt driven and big taste raisins and dried fruit. It paired awesome with a aged white cheddar.
Overall I paid 4 bucks for a 750ml bottle so it was worth it. Next time I would strain it through a metal tea strainer.

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 1 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a snifter, best before 05/08/2013

A: Pours a hazy light amber with a finger of off white head. The head quickly recedes to a ring. The first pour brought a beer full of flakey sediment. It was a bit odd and really gross. The flakes originally dispersed through the bee from a slight gusher, but a couple of hours recapped with a carb saver let the sediment settle.

S: Quite musty with orange zest, figs, and a bit of anise.

T: Similar to the aroma, except a bit more spicy and sweet. I get nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, and figs. A tad astringent.

M: Medium thickness for the style with creamy carbonation.

O: This was the ugliest beer I've ever seen on the first pour, and every pour dispersed the sediment. That alone brought the score down a lot. Other than that, there is a decent balance between fruity sweetness and spices.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.