Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale - Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple ImpérialeBrasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-14-2004)
View: Beers (8) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
cswhitehorse

Oregon

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

The Triple Imperiale poured a dark brown color with a strong 3-4 finger foam head that started foaming as soon as I un-capped it. On the top of the head it looked like fine brown sugar in between the white head.

Aroma was brown sugar and yeasty. The taste was sweet and malty. Dates, figs and fairies jumped around in my head. The abv was well hidden as the 10 percent didn't make much of a mark. In the mouth this one was nicely carbonated but just too much yeast or protein flowing around in large chunks. Overall I had to give this one a lower score on the final as it became hard to drink because of the excess chunks. Other than that is was good.

09-19-2008 05:03:08 | More by cswhitehorse
washburnkid

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Dark brown and mahogany brew with a small head and a ton of floating particles. Smells of bready malts. Tastes are bready malt, candied sugar, raspberries and a bit of citrus hop. Very rich sweetness. Medium body with low carbonation. A good sipper, but I don't think I'd buy it again.

05-31-2009 01:00:26 | More by washburnkid
TMoney2591

3.44/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Yeah, that's right, this is the Emperor's tripel, boy! Anyway, this stuff pours a mostly clear sunset bronze-amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. Some floaties show up, but nothing much to speak of. The nose comprises plenty of dark fruits (primarily figs, though some dates shine through as well), Belgian yeast, clove, light cinnamon, candied orange peel, and good amount of sweet biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, leading with the spices, then into a sweeter version of the fruits, then a strong wave of caramel, biscuit, and booze. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, a nice tripel, but the booze is a touch off-putting, and it comes across more like a spicy BSDA than a tripel, but it still ain't bad.

03-18-2012 19:47:31 | More by TMoney2591
tanarm

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

No head to speak of. It's not really that old, a good 5-6 months in the cellar shouldn't affect that. Otherwise, a nice dark ruby tone.

Smell is immediately tart and fruity. A little malt.

Taste is definitely fruit forward, there is a tart... no, sour quality I cannot put my finger on.. but it lingers more than anything. It has a wild yeast character that is more likable as it warms. Definitely a woody character. A hint of cherries and spice. As it warms the flavors become more inviting.

Carbonation seems low for a Belgian. It lacks a crisp dry finish. Medium-Full bodied.

Definitely let it warm up before trying it. It is so much better as it warms. Complex... a bit fruity for me, but enjoyable nonetheless.

07-23-2008 22:08:46 | More by tanarm
htomsirveaux

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

750 mL bottle tried 19 Jan 2008.

Very tight large rosy white head. Well carbonated, effervescent. Cloudy with lots of particulates, deep brown with hints of garnet. Smells of tart cherries, oranges, mineraly. Starts sweet and resiny, some rum and raisin that is not present in aroma. Aftertaste is of bittersweet chocolate. Medium heavy body.

Decent but expected a bit more.

02-22-2009 23:39:28 | More by htomsirveaux
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

3.49/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 1 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a snifter, best before 05/08/2013

A: Pours a hazy light amber with a finger of off white head. The head quickly recedes to a ring. The first pour brought a beer full of flakey sediment. It was a bit odd and really gross. The flakes originally dispersed through the bee from a slight gusher, but a couple of hours recapped with a carb saver let the sediment settle.

S: Quite musty with orange zest, figs, and a bit of anise.

T: Similar to the aroma, except a bit more spicy and sweet. I get nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, and figs. A tad astringent.

M: Medium thickness for the style with creamy carbonation.

O: This was the ugliest beer I've ever seen on the first pour, and every pour dispersed the sediment. That alone brought the score down a lot. Other than that, there is a decent balance between fruity sweetness and spices.

03-14-2013 01:27:28 | More by coreyfmcdonald
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Served from tap into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky light brown with tons of sediment with a two finger khaki colored head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, bread, dark fruit, and raisins. The flavor was of sweet malt, bread, dark fruit, raisins, and cream. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation which reminded me of a thin milkshake. Overall this was a decent brew. At first this one was a little off-putting due to all of the sediment present in it. Even with all of the sediment present in this glass the flavor and aroma on this one was still quite nice. There was a ton of dark fruit going on here, specifically raisin. This was definitely the factor that made this brew enjoyable. Definitely worth trying with or without the sediment.

05-15-2012 11:45:55 | More by thagr81us
apasternak

District of Columbia

12-17-2013 01:00:08 | More by apasternak
bonbini26

01-10-2012 17:41:56 | More by bonbini26
FtownThrowDown

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a nice dark brown with a reddish hue. A nice quarter inch of head that's still there as I'm drinking it. When held to the light you can see a red hue throughout. Oh my, there are some chunks in this! This beer reminds me of a tv screen while playing asteroids!
Smell is a very fruity, high in alcohol beer. There is a subtle yeasty smell. But the raisiny fruit flavor really comes through. Reminds me more of a wine smell.
I don't know if I picked up an older bottle, but the mouthfeel and taste is more subdued than I expected. Hardly no carbonation at all, matter of fact, it's taking on a old english ale taste. Reminds me of a JW Lees Harvest Ale. Not the sharp, carbonated belgian I was expecting. Interesting.
I bought this from a very reliable store that I very often frequent. Not sure if this is a bad bottle. Will have to revisit.

10-27-2006 00:44:20 | More by FtownThrowDown
PatrickJR

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Reddish amber. While clear, there are large and numerous chunks of sediment floating around. A finger of off white head rises with moderate retention before falling to a thin cap. Minimal lacing.

S - Dark, sweet, rich bread. Faint notes of caramel and chocolate, along with a good deal of berries and other dark fruit. Briney, almost vegetal aroma mingles with noticable alcohol and phenols. The combined result of the salty aromas approaches something like rubber and cheese. Really interesting.

T - Strangely and disappointingly flavorless. Not sure what happened here. Modest sweetness starts off with some flat and subdued notes of bread crust and caramel. A little bit of alcohol pops up with faint phenols and some of the briney flavor from the nose. Finishes with a mild bitterness.

M - Decent medium body with a moderate to soft carbonation. Seems a little watery on the back end at times.

D - Fairly drinkable. Not really bad from a flavor perspective, just extremely lacking. A pass overall with all the other great examples out there.

06-09-2009 04:26:18 | More by PatrickJR

gr0g

01-27-2013 20:02:09 | More by gr0g
BeerBelcher

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

I really thought the bartendress brought me the wrong beer when I took a whiff and then a sip of this beer. It is not like a Triple in any way, but I guess it's "imperial," so you can do what you want with it. This beer is cerealy and sweet, which is a flavor I tend to avoid/dislike, but in this case it is carried off reasonably well. Still, mixed feelings on this one and I wouldn't call it a favorite of mine.

It poured a muddy brown with a medium head. Aroma is very malted-milk-ball-like, with a lot of grainy sweet cereal smell to it backed with some fruitiness. Taste was similar, with some additional complexity in the malt flavor becoming clear after a few sips and after it warmed a bit. There was no spice flavor that I usually associate with triples, and the fruitiness that was present was pretty minimal and confined to the finish of this beer. The beer in no way tasted alcohol-y, particularly for a beer with 10% ABV. Mouthfeel was smooth and good.

I'm a bit conflicted; this beer was not true to style (as I understand the style), exhibited a flavor that I usually dislike, but managed to pull it off in a way I thought was kind of pleasant. So I will recommend this beer.

I had a bottle of this at The Room in Miami Beach, FL.

02-24-2008 14:32:38 | More by BeerBelcher
jfcaa193

Connecticut

02-19-2012 22:47:51 | More by jfcaa193
baos

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle into barilla jar

A: Dirty dark blonde body with a one finger head that quickly disappears. Lots of debris in there. Yeastiness galore! Little lacing.

S: Dried dates and figs. Raisins and dark funky jams.

T: Cant believe its 10% Booziness is hidden well beneath a rich dark fruit flavor.

M: Not bad

D: Watch all that gunk in there. Bread pudding!

11-19-2008 02:42:40 | More by baos
AgentMunky

3.54/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice. Best before 10/05/14 (10 May?).

A: Light burnished copper. Light white head with good lacing.

S: Caramel sugar. Apples and pears. Hint of phenol and spice.

T/M: Thinnish and odd. Vanilla. Pear. Can't taste the strength at all. The taste is so brief as to be ephemeral. Aftertaste is lightly sour.

O: It's good, but too strange to great. Maybe I got a strange bottle. Would try again, if not soon.

01-09-2014 05:54:47 | More by AgentMunky
Overlord

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for the trade!

Poured a reddish brown, with a ton of sediment. At this point, I'm guessing that's par for the course for this brewery, as everything I've had from them is laden with literal fruit chunks. The head is light tan and gigantic. And long lasting. I don't think I've ever seen a head like this on a beer with this high of an ABV. Very unusual.

The smell is ... strange. There's definitely cherries and other light fruits, but there's a gigantic brandy or rum aroma. Also some yeast and molasses/brown sugar. The rum/brandy is really odor is very unexpected.

The taste is also brutally strange. It's incredibly sweet, and definitely on the cloying side as you work your way through a large bottle. The brandy/rum flavoring is predominant, and mixed with figs, prunes, and/or plums: it's so overpowering I'm not sure what the base might be. There's definitely some cherries, yeast notes, and some random spices (coriander?) but this brew is just so damn sweet. The mouthfeel is super-syrupy.

Kind of a hard beer to review. It's overpowering in both aroma and taste; this is hard on both the palette and the drinking stamine. It's just ... strange. The Grand Cru and Special Brown are two very, very underrated beers, so I expected to enjoy this more.

04-13-2008 09:11:19 | More by Overlord
morebeergood

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Ordered a bottle of this last night at the Sunset Grille, and was poured into a tulip stemmed glass. I wanted to try an Tripel Imperiale, but the bottle also said it was a Strong Dark Ale. A confusing but new style to me (why not just call it a strong dark ale?), but honestly I thought it would look more like a tripel then a dubbel. That said, it had a nice brown color to it, and a lingering head. It tasted like any good Belgian dubbel or strong dark ale that I've had. I liked it, but wasn't blown away. For $7.99 a bottle, it was worth trying once but there are so many other Belgians out there that I haven't had yet...

07-19-2007 19:50:45 | More by morebeergood
OStrungT

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a slightly cloudy redish brown color with a massive light tan head. The head fades so slowly that I am begining to wonder if it will ever be gone. It leaves an impressive lacing.

This beer has a strong earthy yeast aroma. It also smells of alcohol. It has a pleasent spicy aroma also. Some citrus hop aroma is also present. Also, some dark fruit aroma is noticable.

This beer has a slightly grainy flavor. It tastes spicy. The alcohol in well hidden in the flavor. Some fruity notes are present. It also has a strong earthy yeast flavor.

This beer goes down surprisingly smooth, leaving a spicy aftertaste. This beer is well carbonated, good for the style.

I doubt this beer would make the best session beer. It tastes good, but it is high in alcohol.

Overall: This beer is decent. It is not the best, but far from the worst. What more can I say?

10-26-2006 00:14:07 | More by OStrungT
neonbrown82

Nebraska

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

This is a tripel? Well I'll be damned... doesn't seem to have any defining characteristics of a tripel.

The appearance is a dark nutty brown color that shines ruby to the light, accompanied by a thick and fine bubbled off-white head. No noticable carbonation, though I suspect the cork may not have had an adequate seal as there was a drop of liquid under the cap and foil (this beer has a cap with an underlying cork under it).

The smell is good, though it was not at all what I'd hoped to find in a tripel, as many of my friends recently decided they liked the style and I'm trying to find some shining examples. Has a bit of an english barleywine/old ale aroma to it. Has a big whiff of candi sugar as well as raisins, figs, etc.

The taste is good, reflecting quite faithfully the elements of the nose I already described. Has a thin malty backbone accompanied by some candi sugar and figs. The finish has the slightest bit of roastiness to it, as well as some huge yeasty esters. It tastes more like a red wine than a beer... I'm not a wine lover at all, but I can at least go so far as to say that the aroma and taste are "good" even though I don't personally like them.

The mouthfeel is unexpectedly light and watery, but smooth as velvet. Has a sharp metallic taste to the foam. Overall I found this to be very unimpressive for a tripel, regardless of what my number rating comes out to be. I'll have to try a smaller (non-corked) bottle to see if maybe the seal on my cork was not airtight, affecting my decision. Either way, I was expecting much more from this beer, as I loved the Grand Cru, and this is very highly rated on BA. I might even go so far as to recommend staying away from this one if you're looking for a good tripel.

07-31-2005 05:43:43 | More by neonbrown82
willjschmidt

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice. Bottle marked drink by 2008.

A: There was something seriously wrong with the yeast in this beer. A careful pour resulted in huge chunks of what I guess is yeast coming out of the bottle and into the glass. The resulting mess looked like a murky brown snow globe. It was absolutely full of white chunks. I don't know if it was supposed to be like this but I doubt it.

S: Sweet, brown sugar, dark ripe fruits. A lot of alcohol at the end.

T: Brown sugar up front followed by some dark cherries and figs. The alcohol is hardly evident at all. This beer was seriously lacking in complexity. I didn't get the many layers and directions of flavors that I like to see in an excellent Belgian dark beer.

M: The mouthfeel was pretty good, slightly creamy, medium bodied.

D: A very easy drinking beer. In fact, it was too easy. The alcohol was barely there, in taste and also in how it affected me. I drank the entire bottle of supposedly 10% ABV and I was barely even buzzed. This never happens. I've read several other reviews suggesting that this brewery has quality control problems and based on my small sample size I'd have to agree. I'd like to give this beer another shot at some point since I was very disappointed to buy a top 100 beer and have a poor tasting experience. I'd like to see what it tastes like without the glass being packed full of white chunks.

05-28-2007 15:24:15 | More by willjschmidt
watchnerd

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle. Caramel color with modest head settling down to a small ring and almost no lace. Aromas are primarily of prune juice, yeast, and alcohol. Taste: also primarily of prune juice, yeast, and alcohol. Mouthfeel leans a tad towards the syrupy. The 10% ABV isn't particularly well hidden, reducing drinkability.

Net: Not my favorite BSDA, and, sorry guys, I can't uphold the A rating from my point of view. Maybe with more cellaring, it would improve.

01-27-2008 07:58:48 | More by watchnerd
HalfFull

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 750 ml. capped bottle into a large wine glass. The Triple Impériale has been resting in my cellar for some time, Alas, a bit of age seems in order for this non-tripel Triple, it being a BSDA in disguise.

Pours a medium brown with some ruby highlights and offers half an inch of off white cap. A bit of yeast chunk floats around even after some sensitive handling and storage. Best before June 2012 fyi. Holds a thin surface film throughout.

Pleasant nose of Belgian yeast notes muddled with brown sugar. Not a whole lot of variety here and with some alcohol esters playing a notable role. Bit of muddled fig as well. Seems a bit stale however, though Belgian notes reveal themselves more with exposure.

Taste follows with sweet and fruity notes. Chewy yet without being sweet per se. Finishes with some brown sugar barleywine notes and a return of dried fig and prune. Smooth and pleasant yet the brown sugar is a bit too dominant here as well.

Quite enjoyable and with a great level of carbonation. Nose improves through the bottle. A fresher bottle would likely be more enjoyable as well as for the flavor. A bit too oriented towards a brown sugar flavor. A fresher brew may or may not offer such character. In the mean time filter this one for the yeast/protein chunk is out of control in the end.

02-18-2011 07:32:40 | More by HalfFull
Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.