Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale - Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple ImpérialeBrasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-14-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 436 | Reviews: 336
4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearence: Pours an absolutely stunning ruby red with tons of suspended floaties. Strange because it's been sitting upright, nd perfectly stll, for almost a month now. Oh well, still looks attractive as hell, with a huge, bubby beige head.

Smell: Apricots. Peaches. Sugar. Alcohol. Coriander. Oranges. Apples. Yeast. Oak. You get the point, phenomenally complex and lucious smelling. Every sip opens up more nuances. Easily one of the better smelling Belgian Darks I've ever had.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Unbelievale. An assload of flavorsexplode in your mouth (fruitiness, oak, coriander, orange peel, sweet sticky malts, just to name a few), and are in absolutely perfect, harmonious balance with each other. The flavors dance and play across your taste buds, as the beer flows down your throat. The flavors stay forever after you swlow, and the aftertaste is dam near a good as the beer itself. Complex as all hell. The mouthfeel is smooth, rich, creamy, and thick.

Drinkality ad Overall: Ok smack me in the face and call me your bitch. This is the shit I've been looking for. I recieved this during BIF17 from a very generous BA in Florida. Whatan absolutely breath taking beer. One of the better beers that has ever come across my lips. Bings back memories of Westy 12 and Rochefort 10, and is damn near as good. This beer proves the word trappist doesn't mean shit. This is real beer.

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

This is a tripel? Well I'll be damned... doesn't seem to have any defining characteristics of a tripel.

The appearance is a dark nutty brown color that shines ruby to the light, accompanied by a thick and fine bubbled off-white head. No noticable carbonation, though I suspect the cork may not have had an adequate seal as there was a drop of liquid under the cap and foil (this beer has a cap with an underlying cork under it).

The smell is good, though it was not at all what I'd hoped to find in a tripel, as many of my friends recently decided they liked the style and I'm trying to find some shining examples. Has a bit of an english barleywine/old ale aroma to it. Has a big whiff of candi sugar as well as raisins, figs, etc.

The taste is good, reflecting quite faithfully the elements of the nose I already described. Has a thin malty backbone accompanied by some candi sugar and figs. The finish has the slightest bit of roastiness to it, as well as some huge yeasty esters. It tastes more like a red wine than a beer... I'm not a wine lover at all, but I can at least go so far as to say that the aroma and taste are "good" even though I don't personally like them.

The mouthfeel is unexpectedly light and watery, but smooth as velvet. Has a sharp metallic taste to the foam. Overall I found this to be very unimpressive for a tripel, regardless of what my number rating comes out to be. I'll have to try a smaller (non-corked) bottle to see if maybe the seal on my cork was not airtight, affecting my decision. Either way, I was expecting much more from this beer, as I loved the Grand Cru, and this is very highly rated on BA. I might even go so far as to recommend staying away from this one if you're looking for a good tripel.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

4 months after my first review from an 11.2 oz. bottle, and a couple hours after my review from a keg, let's see what's so different from a 750 ml bottle...

Deep, dark tawny brown color, utterly opaque, lush head, thick and large, creamy tan...

Aroma: ahhh!!! there's that ethereal Belgian yeast/malt smell, just gorgeous! light fruit, blended just-so with this unheard-of yeasty flavor...ah!!!
cookie dough meets cherries and berries...a nutty, bready slice of nirvana...

Taste: Mmmm! Spicy sweet, wityh dark fruits a factor, yeast at play, but kicky spice riding over it all...this is a full force flavor treat!
The flavor lays large on the tastebuds, and resonates richly throughout the senses...

...as this is my third review of this very new beer, I don't really know how much there is left to say, except that the differences between small and large bottles have been exaggerated!
It's an amazing beer, no matter how you sample it.

Someone coyly asked me tonight if this brew, which I serve on draft at my bar, for the time being, was brewed by monks. No, sorry, it's brewed by guys who are free to do with their peters what they may. Let the demystification of Belgian-style beer commence, and let the burning of boundaries begin in earnest...this dark "triple" already gets it going in that direction!

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich mahogany color with a big fluffy tan head that falls slowly. A good supply of rising bubbles feeding the head that enetually falls to ringed foam scum.

Aroma is rich malt fruity, brown sugar coated figs almost fig newton like smell dominates. Aroma is good but taste much more complex and good.

Taste is sweet rich and malty lots fruity notes molasses soaked figs, plums and raisins. Some light alcohol notes rise with the fruity ester and blend into a linger light hops finish. Sweet molasses/brown suger is felt and lingers thru out the whole experience but it is not overly sweet at any point. One fine Belgian Strong Dark Ale, can see what the fuss was with Des Rocs now, this is much better then the Grande Cru in my book.

Mouthfeel is good lots of malt aided by creamy carbonation very nice feel to it.

Drinkability is good a triple I can enjoy not light and fruity but a dark Belgian ah life is good . For $7.00 a 750ml hard to beat this one a steal that eveyone needs to hunt down.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Dark purple beauty...big off-white head...sticky lace. Smell is dark fruits and alcohol as I would expect from the style. The malty Belgian nose is brought to full fruition in the taste. Chewy malts over a Belgian candi base, but it seemed "young"...there is a raw attitude with the alcohol that I haven't tasted in other dark ales. Mouthfeel is medium to full...the chewiness aiding this. Easy to drink and reasonably priced. Certainly recommended.

2.61/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours a nice ruby red with lots of brown infused throughout. A good tan head with rather large bubbles on it. Not the color of your average triple.
Smell is malt and hops. Expected more but couldn't find it.
Taste is malty, with dark fruit all over and a light hop presence.
Mouthfeel is quite watery, not at all what I expected, but smooth. No indication that this is a 10% ABV brew anywher from smell through the last sip.
Drinkability is just all right. The flavor is good and slightly rich but with little for the nose and the watery feel I don't think that is enough to carry it into the ranks of the good triples.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

This Belgian Special Dark Ale was purchased in a 330 ml brown bottle with a best by date of 2007. The beer poured cloudy reddish amber with a three finger tall foamy head that refused to die. The nose was subtly spicy (pepper, saffron), and fruity (apples, pears) with a tinge of earthy yeast, which was hard to keep in the little bottle. The taste was a revelation of lightly sweet and sour fruit flavors with a good deal of spiciness and some woody and herbal bitterness. The body felt oh-so-light and airy, and there was no hint at all of the 10% ABV. In the blink of an eye the glass was empty. Next time I am definitely going to buy the big bottle.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Gloomy maroon copper, mostly clear, but spotted with a few scattered flakes, and boasting a proud buttery beige head.
Touting a dark fruit punch aroma, spiked, of course. The nose hums with figs and dates and pineapples, and mango, and pears, slathered generously with caramel, pricked with pepper and anise, rum, granite, and farm.
Sweeter than either the "regular" or the Grand Cru, this is a plumy, raisiny, datey, figgy, grapey, jammy, fruit explosion. While dark-leaning upfront, it grows increasingly lighter and tropical as it breathes. Pears, and apples, and plantains, and mangos, and kiwis, all caramelized, seared on the grill with hearty gobs of brown sugar and honey and maple syrup. Yeast contributes dough, orange peel, white pepper, chalk dust and horse hair. The alcohol content, while deftly masked, still wiggles out tenticles of spiced rum heat. The conclusion is a gelatin of lingering fruit sugar, braced with a bittering floral notion of pressed roses and lavender. For all practical purposes, this is a Belgian barleywine.
Yes, this is nearly mouth-bindingly sweet. But the pillowed heft, grace, and levity of the bubbles belies a grabby thick liquid. It is, in essence, a sipper, but it begs, dares, and ultimately forces a person to slobberingly gulp larger amounts.
This should cloy up, but it never does. Kudos on that. Can you hear me clapping? "Sweet" comes up a lot (and not merely because of my sophomoric cries of adoration, though it does there too)...this is a ticket to insulin dependence. But damn worth it.
Better than the Grand Cru, but not quite at the beer apex that is the Regular/Brune....but it takes that at least 3 years for that to reach its summit. Give this that sort of time---if not a twice that, or more---and this may be, should be, will be:
Untouchable.
Consider this younger stuff a mere preview of Elysia.

Edit 6/21/11:
One of my last "best before 2007" bottles. It ages well as expected, though it suffers from the Des Rocs yeast coagulation and requires a careful hand with the pour. Sherry and brown sugar surge upward, and the brighter tropical notes are suppressed. Figs and molasses, with drier walnut nuttiness. This is a malt bath that hasn't radically changed since it was fresh and could easily go another 5-10 yeast. The foil was blown on my bottle, prompting an unfounded fear that the cork had failed.

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

My third of these great green bottles, capped and corked (they are a little tougher to get into, but well worth it). Dark maroon body, with a light haziness, head is huge and foamy. Toffee, fig, raisin, light alcohol, dark fruits, belgian yeast, and even more toffee are present in the nose. Taste is sweet and smooth, complex with many flavors that cross over from the smell. Alcohol is extremely well hidden under a pile of shifting flavors, gives this a wine/rum flavor that is very enjoyable. A smooth drinker , for sure. These beer is fantastic. I can only find a flaw in the barely noticable suspended particles in the beer.

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

750 ml bottle. Dark reddish brown with suspended chunks of white and gray. The head is big and creamy looking. Complex aroma of caramel, toffee, figs, and raisins. Starts out very sweet with caramel and dark, rotting fruit. Finished with spices, especially black pepper. Mouthfeel is amazing, so smooth and creamy. Drinkability is also incredible. How could this be 10% abv? There is almost no noticable alcohol at all. I could have gone for another 750 ml bottle. Great beer.

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

I sampled a 11.2 chilled bottle in a tulip/snifter glass. Felonious and BIF 20 sent this to me.
THe beer pours a hazy chestnut color with some ruby highlights. There is considerable white chunky sediment towards the end of the pour, which I cut off once I see the chunks.
A large fluffy beige head foams up 3 cm easily.
Aroma is toffee and dark fruit with red grapes biscuity yeast some musty scents and cloves and a general sweetness.
First sip reveals a silky smooth texture and average body with fine fizzy carbonation.
Flavor is lite and sweet with fruity notes of raisin and red grape mixing with caramel. ENds with a dry vinous finish that is also a little musty.
A nice beer that hides the 10% abv very well. A tasty brew that I enjoy and drink rather quickly. Worth buying
I have heard tale that the 750s are much better, will have to try one of those for the comparison

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

750ml, capped and corked.

Pours out deep burnt amber and sits chocolate amber in the glass, murky, with a massive light tan head. Fades to a solid layer of skim, throwing lacings all around the glass.

Aromas of apricots, figs, rasins and plums ooze into the nose. Pistachios and applesauce push in from the sides. Hints of oak lie alongside pears and peaches with just the lightest hint of flowery hops in the back of the nose to compliment the rich fruity aromas that stand up from every corner.

If the nose was not enough, the flavors that come out are equally impressive. Golden rasins and prunes come out and are followed by a smooth flavor of steaming oak. Deep, browning apples press down with dousings of caramel and rich, dark brown sugar. Finishes incredibly clean with only the slightest hint of alcohol, glowing from the back of the throat with minor notes of black pepper and a light, grassy bitterness.

Incredibly smooth and creamy with soft and giving carbonation rolling around the mouth. Medium-full in body and a dream to hold around.

Gee wilikers Batman! This must be on of the best values out there. For $8 a bottle, this is a steal. Complexities are found deep within, giving an endless array of flavors for you mind to contemplate. Sip, enjoy, go comatose, wake up, and repeat...always repeat.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

A rich desesrt with enough body to fill you up like a full dinner course. The color is this unfiltered golden, copper-brown mixture that has to be seen. The head is nice and consist with a big Belgian ale. The taste is a sweet fruity concoction with a hint of carmel sugar and milk choclate. The notice of hops is faint in the back of the mouth. The aroma is candy sweet; much like a french choclate dessert. The alcohol is hidden away so far that it never dawns on you how strong the brew is until its gone and your smiling. I suggest to anyone to buy a 4-pack and enjoy separately.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Having been blown away by the ADR GC, I was itching to try this one. However, I resisted buying the 750. Until a visit to Half Time put things right. Heeeeyyy... 33cl size. I bought a mixed four pack of the GC and this one. The confusing thing, though, is the designation. Triple? Impériale? But it says Belgian Specialty Dark Ale on the label?

Pours a dark amber color that is quite dark for a beer that you can see through, with a pillowy thick head that even I can sleep on. The aroma is... well, I smell peaches! Also, that fruity scent you get with Belgian Ales...Maybe a hint of orange spice.

Oh dear, I could barely manage to type as I was taking my first sip as I wrote 'spice.' The yeast they use must be something else, because I think I'm going to buy a mixed case of ADR. Even better than St. B. No! That would be blasphemy, but... but... This has this very subtle orange peel flavor that has hints of pit fruit, peaches, some apricot, and a lingering nectarine taste without being medicinal. Well, maybe at the end, but you also get this nice grassy/orange ending that just makes my legs wobbly. YUM YUM YUM!!!

Mouthfeel is funny because the ale is carbonated lightly. The carbonation is almost like that of a cask ale. The thing is that it greatly enhances the flavor profile. Who knew? The lingering taste of sweetness and ever so slight bitterness only adds to it.

Drinkability? It hides the alcohol really well. I had to double check the bottle 10%? No Way. I could spend an entire evening just sipping from a snifter of this. Way to go A/BdR!

*daniel

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

06/22/05- Purchased at Plumpjack Wines in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Undated 750ml bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Dark, maybe dark amber mohaganey pour with a fat creamy head and nice sticky lacing on the sides.

Smell- Fat amounts of dark ripe fruits. Plums, dates, figs, prunes, raisins, you name it.

Taste- More figs than anything. Maybe some fermented prunes and dates. Smooth and leaves a big time raisin aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium to light carbonation. Super smooth and creamy. Just floats down your throat.

Drinkability- I think I will need to re-try St. Bernadrus tripel. This one may take the cake. I haven't had Westy 8 yet, but I have a feeling that it may resemble or possibly be better than this. Although, this was pretty damn incredible. Will be one of my "12" beers I take on my honeymoon in September.

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a dark crimsonish brown color. Really frothy tans head appears as it is poured into my chalice. Smells very yeasty. Yeasty, dark sweet fruit, spices. A wonderful smelling dark belgian ale. Flavors are wonderful. Sweet brown sugarish taste, plums and raisins among other fruits, spices, maybe yeasty or otherwise. Really one of the best tasting belgian brews I have had. Slight alcohol aftertaste, but not in a bad way at all. This is a top notch belgian that I could drink many of. A+ for this one.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From notes. The beer poured a dark rubied brown color with a 3 finger head that fell slowly and stuck around well. The nose was very extreme and intense. I got notes of vinous grapes, brown sugar, apple rinds, spiceyness and puffs of alcohol. The flavor was brown sugar coated raisins, but not overly sweet...just enough. This fades to a slightly rapey fruityness with a very nice spiceyness. The feel was thick with a moderate carbonation and slightly coating in my mouth. Overall, I found this brew to be divine. The great flavors melded well together, the feel was great, and just all out dangerous at 10%. I will be gettng another bottle of this.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

From notes from a bottle shared with kmpitz2 on 4-30-05. Deep brownish red pour with a big, airy, bubbly three finger head that lasts. Some awesome sticky lacing decorates the side of the glass. Bright red tones emerge when it's held up to the light. First sniff brings an interesting aroma of brown sugar, caramel and a mix of light fruit tones. A background spiciness of clove and a hint of pepper. Earthy, slightly funky yeast....maybe even some leather in there.

First sip brings a big brown sugar / caramel maltiness with a healthy dose of fruit (grape, apple), even a hint of sour fruit. A mellow spiciness is there along with a wonderful Belgian earthy yeast tone. A slight hint of alcohol peeks through on the way down and I get a hint of leather in the flavor as well. Simply an awesome brew..so tasty and complex. Sweet...but not at all overpowering.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a good mellow carbonation. So easy to drink and quite a treat. I will be waiting patiently for the next time I'll be able to sample this brew. Definetly recommended. Go. Buy. Drink.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

$8.49 for a capped and corked 750ml bottle.

Pours out to a very sediment rich dark brown, forming a creamy light tan head. The sediment looks like fish food flakes, similar to the other Abbaye des Rocs I've had recently. Retention is awesome, and lacing is very nice. Carbonation is brisk, forming spiral streamers. The aroma is wonderful...dank basement, horse stables, dirty sneakers, red apples, pineapple, strawberry, a touch of acetic acid...very nice. The taste begins with dark fruits, full of figs, dates, raisins, and prunes. Phenols are there but tamed down. The sweet middle is permeated by tobacco and leather and rotting cherries. The finish is filled with pipe tobacco, creating a sensation in my mouth akin to having just taken a puff on a cigar. Bitterness is mild and herbaceous. The mouthfeel is smooth in the finish and leaves a nice coating in the mouth. Medium bodied but deceptive. Alcohol is completely imperceptable at 10% ABV.

This is a real treat. Due to it's sweetness, it's an excellent dessert beer, but one bottle is probably enough. I'm not to hip on the things floating around in it, so just close your eyes. There is a pervasive saccharin sweetness that is a bit off-putting and challenges me to finish the bottle, but otherwise, it's a damn fine brew. Recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a deep brown/maroon with faint golden tinge. Soft fluffy, pillow of light ecru head. Lots of sticky, spotty lace on the glass.
Aroma of caramel, plums, cherries, dates and others. Some chocolate appears as beer warms in the glass.
Flavor of caramel, chocolate, grains, dark citrus and a spicy, powerful yeast bomb. Some phenol alcohol on the backside.
Mouthfeel is full and palate coating. Lush and spicy, sweet and dry. Highly complex that really grows as you finish the glass. Softly carbonated to really accentuate the flavors that emerge.
Drinkability is very high. Real Belgian treat. This brewery continues to amaze. Seek this out and try. Let it warm a bit, no nearly as good when at all cold.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a medium murky brown with a big fluffy headthat settles quite fast not leaving much lace behind,awesome aromas of almond,cinnamon,and juicy orange really woke up the sences.Alot of dark fruit going on flavor wise some plum and raisin are very prevelant along with some cinnamon and maybe a touch of nutmeg with a nice lingering yeasty finish.Glad to have the opportunity to try this very complex and enjoyable will seek out again for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a medium dark brown with a gorgeous head. Beautiful.

Aroma- just one thing- Oh, my god. This is incredible. Slight sweetness, malt pleasantness, and a gentle spiciness that offsets it all so gorgeous. Dates. Date bread. Oh, it's good.

Flavor is really something too. It's more complex than the flavor, much heavier, and a lot tougher to characterize. Good. Bready. Heavy, Quadrupel like in its complexity. Bready and lots of full rich alcohol-laden fruits. Watch out, because this is a scary wonder.

Mouthfeel is rich and full- an end of night enjoyment. I was really sad when the glass was empty.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Plummy dark brown with big yeasties dropping to the bottom like fish food. Cap is dense, growing with a firm foamyness colored of yellowed taupe with a dusted cinnamon brown center. Intricate lacing coats in tiny dots and other bigger cobweb webbings.

Aroma comes across pretty thick with big fruits and light spices. Lush and booming, yet soft and delicate as bread. Spicy dates and figs coated in oily earthy seeds of black licorice, poppy, pepper, ginger, and corriander. Small inticingly little tid bits of orange and raisin oil along with some touches of tobacco bring more complexities as it sits.

Flavors are big too; thick, lush, full body, favorable breadyness about its weight. Dark fruits decorate most of the tastes with rich and oily dates, figs, and raisins. Some dark orange touches the finishing qualities. Nicely handled and mild toned spices decorate the areas where the fruits leave off. So very well placed and a perfect compliment to the fruits. Cracked pepper, black licorice, ginger root, smokey vanilla, and tobacco are all put lightly in there place as not to distract from the fruit cake thickness.

Big full body, lush, rich, tender, fruity and spicy, oily in some respects closer to the leftover finishing characteristics. Very actively full from start to finish. Boisterously so. A truly enjoyable sipper. Take your time with this one, its worth it. Extravagantly fantastic stuff!

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance: Dark clear burgandy. A big ol fucking crop of light beige head sits on top and has the staying power of Peter North. Streams of CO2 surface rapidly. Lace is bountiful.

Aroma: One of the easiest 5's I've ever given. Simply amazing. A perfect blend of sweet and spice. Sweet orange. Ginger. Yeasty doughiness. Fruit sugars. Caramel. Raisin. And on...

Taste: While a 5 is not QUITE as easy to give away in this category, it is deserved here as well. Very flavorful. Full of fruit nuances like grape skin, pear, apple and plum. Raisin comes into play as well. Sourdough yeastiness. Bread pudding. Cracked pepper, corriander and mint leaves. This is a dandy.

Mouthfeel: Dissolves without effort in the mouth. Body is light-medium. Very appropriate and easy to drink.

Drinkability: 10%? You gotta be kidding. No signs whatsoever of EtOH. Not only does this beer pack a punch, but it's undetectable and very flavorful as well. A dangerous combo. This one is a marvel.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It has been a while since I’ve had a wine cork and this one let out a nice pop. Dark and luscious, this beer looked and smelled great. It tasted just like it smelled and looked – rich, thick sweet and boozy. Rich honey wine maltiness with hints of coriander and orange peel. The taste just lingers on your tongue and palate as the alcohol warms your chest. The sweetness is bordering on being too much but the high gravity and silkiness make it ok. This may need some aging or some food to balance the sweetness. God bless the Belgians.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.