Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special Brown - Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special BrownAbbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special Brown

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: rosebud on 07-30-2002

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

I'm lookin for love in all the Grand Cru's and they seem to be lovin me back. This Cru finished # 2 in my tasting of 4 (of which all were incrediblly tasty).

This one was dark brown with a huge candy sugar aroma mixed with a sourish, spicy yeast. Smooth was the key word here, medium bodied with sweet dark fruit flavors (plums and cherries) with nice bubbly carbonation and a long fruity finish drying with cinnamon,vanilla and oak, and so very slightly acidic in a nice way. A very complex brew and very satisfying. (520 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

First thing I am struck by is a sweet berry noise....strawberries....also some sweet cherries....sweet overripe watermelon....with a small hint of spicy leather....

Pours a burnt orange...nice fluffy tan head...very sweet enjoyable flavors...big on the fruits I mentioned but also some cinamin or ginger coated coffee cake....just a hint of leathery spiciness...finishes with a dash of the ABV....slides down very easy though for the ABV and the alcohol hit on the finish actually compliments the sweeter flavors nicely..

This is a hell of a Grand Cru and a great beer....what I wouldn't do to be a millionaire with a cellar full of about 100 of these on hand at all times... (681 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%

This came in a green 750ml bottle. The body was a deep brown with reddish highlights and a giant fluffy off white head peaking over the top of the glass. As this was consumed sticky rings of lacing were left hung around the glass. Very good head retention as even the last sips had a nice covering of the fluffy head still floating. The smell was sweet with a slight spice to it as well as strong fruit notes. The taste started off with a fruity caramel sweetness that mingled with a bit of spice and yeast flavors. Not overly sweet but just right, the aftertaste is a bit tart as well. Very good taste with a lot of things going on that I will have to have this again to pick up on more of them. This almost has a full body but just falls short not that it hurts it in any way, and it’s very rich and creamy on the tongue. This stuff was way too drinkable to be 10%, no real hints of the alcohol anywhere. I will have to pick up a few more bottles of this to keep around. (973 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

After finishing up some spring cleaning, I figured I would give myself a treat by continuing the process in my beer fridge. I couldn't have asked for a better beer in the fresh spring time (although I could maybe ask for a little bit more sun and less chilly wind, perhaps). This would make the perfect "special occasion" beer for any occasion.

It pours to a rich caramel amber color with a massive off-white sticky lacey foam. The smell is very similar to wine, but the taste brings the beer back into the picture. The alcohol is well hidden, the mouthfeel is not fizzy at all, more similar to a wine, but the flavors are distinctly beer as opposed to grape. More specifically, I can taste sweet belgian malts along with candi sugars, perhaps lightly hopped with saaz. This is definitely a new favorite. It is far too complex for me to provide deeper analysis, but my tongue tells me that I like it far too much than is healthy.

---
Reviewed 03-23-05, but realized I reviewed the Brune instead. Thanks for the delete function. (1,034 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer poured a very dark brown amber color and formed a huge bubbly off white head that left laticed lace as it subsided. A large amount of carbonation and some sediment is present. It has a wonderful aroma of malt, caramel, raisins and other fruit with a touch of pepper. A heavy flavor of malt, caramel, raisins and a warming touch of the alcohol. The finish is of a medium body and slightly sweet and creamy with a warm aspect of the alcohol present. Another one I wish we could see in Ohio with our new laws and I think I picked a winner for my 500th review. (566 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

App: Burnt brown with a ton of sediment. Poured a little to aggressively and I had a ton of yeast in my chalice. Very thick white head with some lacing. Cola colored.

Smell: Very Belgian to me. Pehonlic and piney with some malt and slight frutiness.

Taste: Devine taste. Very crisp. Fruity yet deep. Slight alcohol perception upfront which was different, but very quick. Finishes dry with nutty aftertaste and quite peppery. Some cherry in there as well.

Mouth: Nice rich and slightly chewy.

Drink: Little perception of alcohol and crispness of brew leads to phenominal drinkibility. Downgraded slightly because the very peppery finish can get a bit much after a while.

Overall: Amazing, amazing beer. Grand Cru alright. This is probably the most crisp 10% abv beer I've ever had. Defintely a step up from the normal Abbaye which is a great brew in its own right. (878 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours an amber color with a nice head and nice retention. Leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is malty and fruity. Orange mostly, some yeast, and some alcohol. Very nice aroma. The flavor was malty and sweet but very well balance with a subtle hop character. The mouthfeel and drinkability for this beer are great. (321 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

The one poured a nice amber red color with one finger of head. The nose is both sweet and spicey, with some cherries coming through most prominently. The taste is great, a nice peppery spice, sweet caramel, sweet cherry. A treat to be consumed. The mouthfeel was moderate to thick. Drnkability is huge on this. I will be getting a few more of these next time I see them. (370 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

Looks very strange. I have had many of these an most have floaties. Scratch that, chunks swirling in your glass. They look like the chunks that form when milk starts to curtle. I don't mind a bit. Smells fantastic, like molasses and apples. Tastes better, like sublte burnt sugar, or caramel corn (without the corn...). Scary that there is 9.5% alcohol. So subtle there isn't even a warming sensation. One of the best from our friends in Belgium! In fact, I can't think of a better strong dark! (494 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

First rate pour of light brownish leather settling as a dark caramel brown with a slender reddish tone, dusky thick and opaque with tons of yeasties suspended within the murk. Head grows tall and fast of tannish fluff to a fine velvety smoothness becoming rocky and crusty as it begins to melt down which takes a good amount of time before finally a full haze on top and thickly fluffed collar sticks around the edge. Lacing is in sparitic globbuels.

Aroma is appetizing and soft with spices; delicate and easeful with a sufficient showing of lemon tea cookies and lemon and orange zest with small notes of giniger and cinnamon. Has some notions of dark caramel surfacing from underneath on big wiffs plus some yeast, phenolic, and warm alcoholic notes. More of the yeast and phenols come through as it warms, big time.

Taste is very complex and incerdibly inticing. Whew, what a mouthfull of things going on here. Simply amazing and fine with nothing to overpowering really other then the alcohol hitting fast as it goes down very nicely with a smooth zesty fullness that begins to make your head swoon just after half a glass and there's yet a whole nother serving in that 750ml bottle yet to come, oh boy...a long night ahead. Flavors are quick to enter with sharpening tones of citrus zest from lemon and orange with some light pineapple, white grapes, dulled grapefruit, and sweet mango inscribed within the mix along with small added notes of yeasty spicyness with kinda of a peppery, clove, nutmeg, citrus peel zest thing. Lots of zest! Lots of softened spicyness. And what makes it even more remarkable is there seems to be a very nice dark malty sweetness of toffee/caramel that kinda keeps those spices from getting out of control and too strong. Beautiful medley of flavors that intermingle and dance with each other in perfect harmony. Full bodied feel with a bit of sharpness and yeastyness that takes away just a nudge for me, but not by much. So goes the feel so goes the drinkability, in most cases anyways, and it does with me with this, by just another nudge mainly due to the untraceable alcoholic effect this has and smallish sharp tone of zest and yeast. But damn this is some very good stuff! Thank you very much ManekiNeko!! (2,254 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a creamy brown with exception head and great retention.

Smell was a semi sweet mixture of sweet fruits mixing in with some toffee and caramel overtones with a touch of pepper mixing in as well.

Taste is a very good complex blend, roasted malts, sweet dark fruits, and a great peppery spicyness.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full with a nice dry finish.

Drinkability is fantastic on this great beer, has quickly become one of my favorites. (452 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Clear chestnut and ruby blend with abundant carbonation. Creamy, fluffy, rocky off-white head that clings to the glass like meringue. Sheets of lacing.

Smell: Amazing. Exceptionally sweet with a rich, deep maltiness. Slightly smoky with dark dried fruits, tea leaves, and bittersweet chocolate. Incredibly deep with spiciness. Alcohol present and obvious but nowhere near distracting.

Taste: Very spritzy initially, with slight alcohol burn. Sweet initially, but dries out quickly after the swallow. Oaky, with vanilla notes accentuated by the strong presence of alcohol bite, which also seems to accentuate the spice matrix. Caramel and toffee nose through in the finish. After-finish is dry, crisp, and known to induce a desire for another sip. (764 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

330 cl bottle. Pours out a dark, brownish red color with a dense head. There are a lot of small chunks suspended in the beer. The aroma is rich and malty with toffee and tropical fruit. Big malt flavor with lots of toffee at first. Becomes fruity in the middle, especially plums. The finish is nice and spicy, like a winter warmer. Alcohol is noticable, but doesn't get in the way of the flavor at all. The mouthfeel is incredible. This beer coats the mouth, and the flavor lingers. Much more drinkable than any beer should be at 9.5% abv. This is an amazing beer. (564 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

750ml cellared for about a year.

Very spicey aroma with lots of yeast esters. Some citrus-like yeast character and licorice. Malt aromas are complex cofee and honey and maybe a little biscuit. There's also a dessert wine effect with a little acidity in the smell but mostly sweeter aromas.

Light brown colored, pretty hazy but with a solid 1/2 inch layer of lasting tan head.

Flavor is first off malty sweet a caramel. Then lots of fruit flavors, cherry and baked apples and other things that whatever yeast they're using probably produced. None of the fruit is strong enough to indicate it was brewed with fruit. Very spicey too. Not sure how much of that is the yeast again and what was added. I taste cinamon and coriander and licorice again. All very subtle and hard to pick out for sure. Complexity here is pretty outstanding. All the flavors balance out really nicely. On the back end there's acidity and a light hop bite so it isn't overly sweet but on malty-to-hoppy scale this is definitely far on the malty side.

Very full bodied but not heavy. Carbonation level is pretty light and creamy. Just a hint of alcohol there so you can tell it's a big beer.

Very enjoyable complex sipper. Delicious beer but not for everyday drinking. (1,254 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

This is the beer that sparked my beeradvocate.com membership. I just had to post a review to profess my love for my new favorite beer.

I purchased a single bottle of this brew from my local bottle shop and poured it into my snifter. Tight, dark tan head with lingering foam. As I raised the glass to my nose and took my first whiff, I knew I was in for a real treat. A veritable cornucopia of spicy fragrances burst into my nostrils and I had to take my first sip.

Wow.

Smooth, spicy, sweet, with no lingering bitterness or alcohol aftertaste. The only lingering attribute was the world-class flavor.

I promised myself that I would save any 5-star ratings for only world-class characteristics, but this beer gets just about everything right. Unforgettable... (771 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

11.2 oz. bottle. Since I read such good reviews, and I thought the bottles were fairly cheap (around $3.50), I decided to go ahead and purchase three of them. Now is the time to finally try one.

Appearance: I still don't have the proper glassware I know, but I already have some ordered, as this is still, I think, sufficient in a wine glass. Started with a huge and beautiful sounding pop as I removed the cap. And what an amazing appearance. Beautiful white head, lacing that keeps sticking thickly to the glass, and an amber red with hints of brown. Not only that, but is there yeast floating in it? Not only bubbles, but something solid. Reminds me of how the Smuttynose IPA looks, as it's gorgeous and whatever is inside the glass shimmers. Superb.

Smell: Once again superb and complex. Fruits, tons from the malt. Both dark, tart, sweet, and light all together. Grape aromas, but almost like a natural grape spread or grape preserves, nothing artificial and not quite like wine. Slight bit of strawberry or cherry, some tart apple and slight cranberry. Tons of yeast, but it only enhances the complexity of the malt characters. Some notes of prune and raisin. Some acidity, but once again only to enhance -- now I taste some orange zest. This is insanely and beautifully complex. My nose doesn't want to come out of it.

Taste: Close to a 5, very close, but not quite there. I think possibly because the aroma is fantastic. However, it's on par but not beyond, and I wanted that from the aroma (though it's damn close to almost perfectly representing it). Acidity up front, opening up to complex fruity sweetness, and ending with a slight hint of hop bitterness, and ending almost perfectly in a mixture of both. Absolutely delightful.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth. Carbonation is perfect, as you can almost tell from the slow, slow decline in the bubbles from appearance. After all, this is only a wine glass, and from what I hear this beer is making my glass seem like a chalice. A key for me is the swish, as it remains silky in the mouth.

Drinkability: Way too amazing to drink all the time, unless you're a celebrity who has a lot of money and somehow can afford cases and cases of good beer. But if you're a celebrity I imagine you'd know nothing about beer, even if you said you did. Regardless, this is a fantastic example of the style, and I think it may be bad that I tried this Grand Cru when I have so many others sitting to try. However, the fact that I have 2 bottles left makes me a happy man. They will be a cause for celebration, and I'd suggest you try this beer immediately and also buy at least one more, just in case you think it's as good as I do. (2,689 characters)

Large capped bottle.

This is one delicious beer, but hard to rate given all the floaters.
After I filter the floaters out, it is a beautiful murky reddish brown brew, with a long lasting creamy tan head. Before I filtered it, the floaters just give it a horrible appearance.
Aroma is delicious, dark fruits, caramel, bread, a mild grassy hoppiness.
Full bodied and creamy, with a nice mouthfeel without the floaters; the feeling of swallowing one was just the reason to filter it.
Taste is excellent, sweet and caramelized, but with a mild hoppy bite, alcoholic spiciness among the yeastiness before it finishes dry.
Very well balanced, and when filtered, an exceptional beer. The floaters, on the other hands, are hard to explain. I heard a lot of people talking about the floaters, and a few people that did not see it. This is my sixth different Abbaye Des Rocs bought in the sixth different place, this one kept in the cellar for a month, served without agitation. I imagine these are not supposed to be here, but the beer is clearly prone to develop it. A significant blemish in an otherwise fantastic beer. (1,118 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with an amber colour and with a nice off-white head. Aroma of floweris, green, earthy hops and caramel. Citrus and caramel flavour with lot of hops. Honey texture. Full bodied. The strong alcohol is just present. Long nice finish. Very enjoyable. (252 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When poured in a pint tulip glass, the color was a medium bark amber reddish brown. Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru has rich flavors reminiscent of cherries dipped in caramel, finishing with notes of dried chocolate, roasted almonds, and a hint of molasses. (251 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked and capped 750ml bottle. I’ve had this one before but let’s just say my palate wasn’t very acute after a full day of beer festing. Do yourself a favor, don’t try to get the cork out of this one without the proper implement, it’s a rugged one. When poured out into my La Trappe goblet the body of this beer is ruby brown and hazy, topped with a meringue like head of off-white foam. Flecks of sediment can be seen sinking to the bottom. This is one delicious smelling beer, lot of vinous notes with hints of brandy soaked fruit. Sweet malt, toffee, and spicy, musty, delicious yeast. The flavor is candy sweet without being cloying. There is a pear-like fruitiness across the front of my palate, combined with suprising sweet coffee like notes. Then that flavor that I often Belgian Strong Darks that I refer to as dates rolled in attic dust, I love it really. The finish is musty, nutty and delicious, with a robust spicy alcohol punch. What a really great frickin’ beer…one that I will definitely be picking up again. (1,032 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into Atlas Mason jar.

A: Looks like iced tea. Huge head goes right away with a nice halo and really nice lacing on the tip-to-drink.

S: Deep floral smell cross between butterfly bush and wild roses. Honey wheat and maltiness and moldering apples under Grandmama's apple tree.

T: Wow there's a lot going on here. Fig Newtons, strong cider (if strong cider was awesome). You get a nice wheatiness and hoppiness too. Nice booziness too, not too much , but just enough to add to the overall taste. This brewer doesn't fuck around. This stuff is pretty fucking awesome and he more it warms in your jar the more it warms on your pallet.

M: Big and bubbly. It it were just one smidgen fuller this beer would be a perfect score.

D: This is a strong beer.
Real men drink strong beer.
Therefore, drinkability is a one. Try one on it fits rather nicely! (855 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bouttle poured into a St Bernardus goblet.

A - Pours a deep, deep brown with a little reddish tint in there and what must be a metric TON of yeast floating around. I'm pretty sure I poured it well, guess it's just the way it comes out of the bottle. Huge off white head that stays like crazy. Big chucks of lacing all over the glass. A very nice look overall

S - I smell a lot of yeast. A nice big smell for a Belgian dark. A little more of a fruity appearance than most Belgian darks in the smell but not overdone. A nice alcohol kick in there and some spiciness.

T - A taste that's extremely subdued, especially after that extreme smell, but delicious. A bit of a dark bready taste with some sweetness. A tiny bit of hops kicks around toward the end. Overall a great taste that's perfectly balanced.

M - Amazing. Goes down exremely smooth, no bite whatsoever. Medium bodied and a great "clean" feeling going down.

D - You drink a sip, you want another one. I'm sure when I drink this bottle I'l want another one. I'm almost glad I can't get beer at this time on Sunday since I have work tommorrow. That's how drinkable this beer is.

Notes: Try it, regardles of the price. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever had, in all aspects. (1,262 characters)

330ml bottle
9.5% ABV (as written on the bottle)
I tried this beer on December 15, 2010 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a translucent reddish-brown (when held to the light) with a huge genrous foamy light brown head that lasted long after the beer did. The aroma was dark caramel malt, candy sugar, plums, and yeast. The mouthfeel was full-bodied with ample carbonation. The flavour was sweet malt, candy sugar, yeast, dark fruit...and a nice bitter finish. An excellent beer. (510 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a delightful red-amber from the bottle producing a fluffy tan head that filled half the glass. I had not read the reviews prior to picking up this brew, so much to my surprise there were quite a few floaters. Ahh the joys of unfiltered beer!

Smell is very pleasant, encompassing cherry, caramel and maybe a little bit of honey in the background.

Taste proceeds from the smell. It's very fruity with the predominant fruit being cherry, with some melon, brown sugar and maltiness backing it up. Of course you can't avoid some yeastiness in the aftertaste on this one.

Mouthfeel is light with a moderate amount of carbonation. Really complements the flavor nicely

Overall a very drinkable beer, I'll be picking another one of these up the next time I make a stop by the market. (785 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.4%

Well, this is an interesting drinking experience. Been wanting to try this for awhile and finally scored a bottle last week.

A: Looks good, but those chunks are a bit disconcerning. Golden brown with 1 inch head that becomes just a nice foamy layer.

S: Apples, dark fruits, hints of alcohol and sugar. Smells great.

T: Couldnt be better in my book, smooth, dark fruits, silky smooth aside from the chunks. Just amazing.

M: Smooth, clean, Couldnt be improved short of losing the chunks. And I wont mark off for those because they gave it something unique.

D: I could drink alot of this in a night, and I would be 1 buzzed happy BA then. Great beer all around and I want to try the rest from this brewery. (718 characters)

Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special Brown from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.