Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special Brown - Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special BrownAbbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special Brown

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: rosebud on 07-30-2002

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

App: Burnt brown with a ton of sediment. Poured a little to aggressively and I had a ton of yeast in my chalice. Very thick white head with some lacing. Cola colored.

Smell: Very Belgian to me. Pehonlic and piney with some malt and slight frutiness.

Taste: Devine taste. Very crisp. Fruity yet deep. Slight alcohol perception upfront which was different, but very quick. Finishes dry with nutty aftertaste and quite peppery. Some cherry in there as well.

Mouth: Nice rich and slightly chewy.

Drink: Little perception of alcohol and crispness of brew leads to phenominal drinkibility. Downgraded slightly because the very peppery finish can get a bit much after a while.

Overall: Amazing, amazing beer. Grand Cru alright. This is probably the most crisp 10% abv beer I've ever had. Defintely a step up from the normal Abbaye which is a great brew in its own right.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

750 purchased at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo NY. Best by date is 2007. Drank on a dreary, rainy night in June.

This one poured into my St. Bernardus chalice a reddish brown with a two finger tan colored head. Small bits of yeast slowly settle to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: dark malt along with some medicinal aromas and toffee.

Taste: Major malt backbone here provides sweet flavors of toffee and a little bit of caramel. Dark fruits like figs and prunes supplement that the taste along with some belgian dark candy sugar. Some black pepper on the finish, very rich and complex!

Mouthfeel: is medium bodied,with a awesome creamy feel despite modest carbonation.

Drinkability: well at 10% ABV (though the alcohol is more subtle) and being packaged in a 750, you've got your work cut out for you, much more enjoyable with dinner. That, or get a buddy and split this monster masterpiece.

Overall: I really enjoyed this Grand Cru it's a top notch dark strong ale for sure. I look forward trying more from the brewery, the Imperial Triple is next.

3.62/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What's all the hubub? I was really pumped to try this and honestly I was a bit let down. Sure, it's a good beer, but not particularly amazing, not even within its style. Appears a ruddy light brown, bubbly with a decent head. Smell is sweet and spicy, with pepper and a whif of orange or some fruit. Taste is much the same. This is a complex beer, certainly, but something about it just doesn't get me going. It really just reminds me of a beered-up tea or something, with some nutrasweet. Really I'm being a little harsh, it's a good beer, but judging by the scores here and reading the top reviewers takes on this one I was surprised when I found it to be a pretty typical Belgian Ale.

Pours a dark amber brown with a mountainous head, more than 2/3rd of the glass. Nose is spicy, malty, elements of cinnamon and coriander with a slightly sweet fruity character. To call it a "nose" is disparaging -- this beer has a bouquet.

Initial taste has a bit of a tang to it, not quite sour but soon yielding to a soft malty sweetness. Flavors of candy sugar, some mild spices, some yeasty tangy elements again covered with caramel and tea flavors. Very, very light cinnamon and lemon rind, very light buttered toast. A symphony of flavors with a lingering spicy-sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is soft and fluffy, carbonation keeps a bite to it. Smooth and dangerously easy to drink, no hint of a suggestion of a trace of alcohol, regardless of its ABV. Outstanding, a beer without a flaw. There simply is no way I can score it any less.

Label says "Brasserie des Rocs," Belgian special brown ale, 9.5% ABV.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

After finishing up some spring cleaning, I figured I would give myself a treat by continuing the process in my beer fridge. I couldn't have asked for a better beer in the fresh spring time (although I could maybe ask for a little bit more sun and less chilly wind, perhaps). This would make the perfect "special occasion" beer for any occasion.

It pours to a rich caramel amber color with a massive off-white sticky lacey foam. The smell is very similar to wine, but the taste brings the beer back into the picture. The alcohol is well hidden, the mouthfeel is not fizzy at all, more similar to a wine, but the flavors are distinctly beer as opposed to grape. More specifically, I can taste sweet belgian malts along with candi sugars, perhaps lightly hopped with saaz. This is definitely a new favorite. It is far too complex for me to provide deeper analysis, but my tongue tells me that I like it far too much than is healthy.

Reviewed 03-23-05, but realized I reviewed the Brune instead. Thanks for the delete function.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

11.2 oz. bottle. Since I read such good reviews, and I thought the bottles were fairly cheap (around $3.50), I decided to go ahead and purchase three of them. Now is the time to finally try one.

Appearance: I still don't have the proper glassware I know, but I already have some ordered, as this is still, I think, sufficient in a wine glass. Started with a huge and beautiful sounding pop as I removed the cap. And what an amazing appearance. Beautiful white head, lacing that keeps sticking thickly to the glass, and an amber red with hints of brown. Not only that, but is there yeast floating in it? Not only bubbles, but something solid. Reminds me of how the Smuttynose IPA looks, as it's gorgeous and whatever is inside the glass shimmers. Superb.

Smell: Once again superb and complex. Fruits, tons from the malt. Both dark, tart, sweet, and light all together. Grape aromas, but almost like a natural grape spread or grape preserves, nothing artificial and not quite like wine. Slight bit of strawberry or cherry, some tart apple and slight cranberry. Tons of yeast, but it only enhances the complexity of the malt characters. Some notes of prune and raisin. Some acidity, but once again only to enhance -- now I taste some orange zest. This is insanely and beautifully complex. My nose doesn't want to come out of it.

Taste: Close to a 5, very close, but not quite there. I think possibly because the aroma is fantastic. However, it's on par but not beyond, and I wanted that from the aroma (though it's damn close to almost perfectly representing it). Acidity up front, opening up to complex fruity sweetness, and ending with a slight hint of hop bitterness, and ending almost perfectly in a mixture of both. Absolutely delightful.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth. Carbonation is perfect, as you can almost tell from the slow, slow decline in the bubbles from appearance. After all, this is only a wine glass, and from what I hear this beer is making my glass seem like a chalice. A key for me is the swish, as it remains silky in the mouth.

Drinkability: Way too amazing to drink all the time, unless you're a celebrity who has a lot of money and somehow can afford cases and cases of good beer. But if you're a celebrity I imagine you'd know nothing about beer, even if you said you did. Regardless, this is a fantastic example of the style, and I think it may be bad that I tried this Grand Cru when I have so many others sitting to try. However, the fact that I have 2 bottles left makes me a happy man. They will be a cause for celebration, and I'd suggest you try this beer immediately and also buy at least one more, just in case you think it's as good as I do.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

delaney's new haven, 4/17/05

appearance: murky dark orange reddish mess. tight head, one more suited to a nitrous pour. active and busy to the eye. foam is resilient and keeps the beer covered for the life of my drink. tough lace which coats the glass like regurgitated toothpaste spittle.

aroma: apricots come through here, backed up with even more sweetness and a yeast note. no bitterness or sourness in the nose.. strawberry pokes its head out and says hello. much more defined on tap than in the bottle, where it is a fruity conglomeration.

taste: pretty much the same as in the bottle. smoother perhaps with a denser carbonation and more life. all the characters in the aroma come out in full saccharin force, leaving no bitterness, hops, malt aftertaste or anything other than ambrosian sweetness. drinkable when you're talking 8oz sample, 750mls would be a tough feat at this point for me.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a copper color with an inch and a half fluffy merainge-like cream head. The bubbles in the head and lacing are very, very small. I don't know if I'm picking up on it because geologist in me, but the diameters of the bubbles resemble an igneous rock that has been cooled extremely rapidly to where the crystals didn't have time to form. Very interesting. The only downside to the appearance is that most of the lacing will disappear over time but its still great to look at.

The smell is amazing. Very complex. Sweet, fruity - (figs, plums, raisins, oranges), bread, rum, nuts, spices, herbs, mint...everytime you bring it to your nose you get something new.

The taste is the same. Many of the same flavors of the aroma. Extremely well balanced while being very complex. A very versatile beer. You could pair this with many food items and have it complement them extremely well.

This beer hides the 10% ABV very well. Maybe a slight too carbonated but it feels great otherwise. Very drinkable. So much so that you need to be careful with it given the 10% ABV.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearence: Pours a wonderfl copper with creamy, perfectly sized beige head.

Smell: Oh my God. What a sensational smell! It's so complex yet it's incredible humble. Caramel and nuts are the obvious focus, but there is so much going on the background.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is a glorious mix of bread, but, sweet, chocolate, caramel, and even bitter notes. It's a wonderful combination, filled without enough complexity to bring anyone to their knees. The only thing that keeps me from giving the flavor a 5 is the yeast presence at the end. A tiny bit too strong. The mouthfeel is rich and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Thanks to GCLarkage for the fabulous brew. It's one of the better beers I've tried in a long time. So full of complexity, so balanced, yet so fun to drink. This one is a must try, and could quite possibly be one of the kings of Belgian beers.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

A glowing maple with a head that is sizzly at first with quick-rising bubbles keeping it afloat. It settles and fades a bit early, but leaves a little lace behind. The aroma is very strong. In fact, my friend walked into the room just after I popped the cork, and could smell it from five feet away. I really do not want to list all of the things I found to be in the aroma or flavor, because it would be long and do it little justice. Suffice it to say that there is a little bit of everything in this brew, and it is blended perfectly - the sweetness, the spiciness, the fruitiness, the alcohol, the body, the feel, and a very impressive drinkability for such a strong beer. Divine.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

A dingy opaque orange occasionally clears enough to reveal thick chunks of yeast scattered throughout the glass. Thick carbonation and rocky foam settles into a noticeable head roughly 1/2" thick.

Aroma is sweet, a little musty and somewhat reminiscent of green apples. Alcohol takes-over the nose a little too much for me.

Flavor has strong elements of cider, layered over raisins and something that reminds me of carrot cake. This was extremely odd and needed several sips, but that's what I noticed. Somewhat tart at the finish. But wait, there's more....new flavors arrive on subsequent sips this time oranges, lemons and a grassy finish somewhat bitter from the hops. Occasionally it reminds me of dandelions. When the hops arrive they arrive by themselves, noble, subtle and distinct.

Full and fluffy, it coats extremely well. No complaints here.

This improved exponentially as it warmed to the recommended serving temp. It's my own fault for initially serving it 10 degrees cooler, but I guess I'll have to live and learn. It didn't affect the above review. At 52 degrees, it was wonderfully complex with wave after wave of different flavors surprising me at each sip. A first class beer and well worth the price. Like many Belgian ales, flavors become even more complex and interesting if paired with the right food.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Yum Yum YUM!

The beer is a deep dark candy apple red with hints of brown and a large head upon pouring. Of course, the head dissipates, but leaves a layer of foam resting above the glass.

The nose... Plums, raisins, sugar, a faint hint of orange, wrapped up in a fresh field.

The taste is a slight grassiness with fruits in the background an a lingering fermented sweetness that is kind of like wine but without the grapes. I think it may have to do with the alcohol pushing through the malty goodness, and mixing with the barley and the yeast, and, and, and...

This beer is goood. Haven't had something like this in quite a while, and this one doesn't disappoint. Melts like sugar in one's mouth and coats the tongue with a lingering grassiness.

Give me more! Give me more! Drinkability is high only because I'm saying screw the alcohol level. Let's drink this all night until we fall asleep in our glasses...

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer immediately gave off a great nose of candi sugar and spices - -esp. coriander and poured beautifully. Brown yet radiant, the look and smell made my mouth water. The mouthfeel was wonderful – silky smooth with great flavors of coriander, raisins and
Candy apples all in an easy to drink package. It’s been a while since I had this beer and it is much smoother than I remembered. The aftertaste lingers pleasantly. Its good they make the 12oz since it would be too easy to drink a whole 750 ml. Got it at Plumpjack for 4 bucks.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a very pretty burgundy brown with a cream colored head and multitudes of yeast floaters. Aroma is dominated by a sugary sweetness, subtle fruity esters and alcoholic undertones. Big rich malt flavor, lightly hopped. There is a soft lingering vinous quality that I love. The alcohol is well blended, noticeable but not overwhelming. Thick and full bodied.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

This is what only the Belgians can do. Of all the world's beers, Abbaye de Rocs Grand Cru is perhaps the most arrogant name, but it lives up to its image as wine. Vinous as hell without being particularly grapey (like many strong, dark Belgian beers are), the Grand Cru is closest to an old vintage port. Spicy alcohol and sweet red berry fruit flavors are well balanced with a dry finish of cocoa powder and the slightest but most welcome Starburst-like tartness. The alcohol and yeast lend flavor and creamy, supple texture without ever being heady, astringent, or offensive in any way. The carbonation is soft, but present enough to resemble some acidty.

Relax, relax.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: On-tap at Monk's. This came in a small tulip and had a nice orange-brown body. The beer itself was quite cloudy, with tannish yellow yeast giving the body a lighter apperance. A fine head of tan lace soon faded to a thin veil.

Smell: This had a very rich nose of sugary fruit like plum, fig and cherry. Some candied sugars and a syrupy sweetness also hint the nose.

Taste: This is intracite. There are so many flavors going on in this beer, that it's difficult to single them out. More of the dark fruit, sweet and also slightly sour, with some help from the spiciness of phenols. A neat burst of tropical esters like pineapple and mango mix into the taste. There are even some faintly bitter hops in the finish. It's unmistakably Belgian with the taste of residual yeast, creamy and satisfying.

Mouthfeel: Good balance for a beer of this much flavor. Never cloying, not overly heavy. Nice amount of carbonation given the body.

Drinkability: Very nicely put together, this beer is satisfying and complex. It's certainly one worth seeking out.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a dark burnt orange and hazy with a nice tan head that falls to a cap of foam that leaves behind some lace.
Aroma is floral sweet and fruity raisins, grapes, apples, prunes some melon mixed with light spice inviting and tastey.
Taste is like aroma its sweet, floral almost, mix with toffee and caramel candy like sweetness and fruity goodness raisin, apple mix then some carbonation appears front stage as it leaves their is a linger spice cinnamon and pepper mix with some hops that are also spicey in nature.
Mouthfeel is smooth carbonation about perfect but seems a little light for some reason.
Drinkability is good alcohol well hidden just a warming sensation is all that is felt a nice Belgian Strong Dark Ale but hard for me to see why its rated as high as it is good no doubt but not the best by anymeans.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours out a nice orange-brown and sits a deep, burnt, reddish-brown in the glass with a massive light tan head. Fades slowly to a thick, creamy glob of head that doesn't budge on bit. Sticks to the side of the glass like paparazzi to the side of a limosine.

Smells enormously fruity, packed with rhubarb, apples, green grapes, oranges, mangoes, pineapple and passion fruit. Caramel drips from every corner and is dusted with cinnamon. Potently floral aroms brings daffodils, tulips and roses to the nose. Mild peppery spiciness as well. Sha-boom.

Tastes full and malty up front, boasting a dominate caramel presence with hints of toffee. Fruits are more subdued, golden raisins, dates, canned peaches and apples flow freely, but are well well mixed within the malts. A bright hop spiciness provides a nice grassy pepperiness to balacne everything off. Some wooden flavors reside, giving off a touch of maple and just a bit of nuttiness as well, mainly almonds and walnut. Finish is nicely bittered yet mild, with hints of tropical fruits poking out, but fading quickly.

Absolutely orgasmic in the mouth. Smooth, creamy....so soft. Carbonation rolls around like nerf balls. Nice, full body, putting out every ounce of flavora and aroma this beer has to offer.

I have been thoroughly impressed by this beer. Words would fail to express my love of this beer, so I will simply express it in an array of symbols that may or may not mean anything:  ₫   ◦ ▬  ▒ ≡  ☼

25.4 ounces of green glass bottle, very fancy looking, all capped and corked. Very loud pop when the cork is pulled. Pours a dark but crystal clear and brilliant cranberry/scarlet color. Very light tan head is massive, even after a conservative pour. Smell is rich and earthy, spicy and sweet. Light alcohol in the nose. Taste is full and satisfying. Bitter and slightly musty, so much going on throughtout the beer which ends mucgh drier than it starts. Very warming on a cold February day. Excellent beer, demolishes many others in the style.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

This is the beer that sparked my beeradvocate.com membership. I just had to post a review to profess my love for my new favorite beer.

I purchased a single bottle of this brew from my local bottle shop and poured it into my snifter. Tight, dark tan head with lingering foam. As I raised the glass to my nose and took my first whiff, I knew I was in for a real treat. A veritable cornucopia of spicy fragrances burst into my nostrils and I had to take my first sip.

Smooth, spicy, sweet, with no lingering bitterness or alcohol aftertaste. The only lingering attribute was the world-class flavor.

I promised myself that I would save any 5-star ratings for only world-class characteristics, but this beer gets just about everything right. Unforgettable...

3.81/5  rDev -9.5%

It pours pretty after the crown cap and cork are removed. I like the care of the "belt and suspenders" approach. The 750 ml bottle conditioned presentation allows the choice of several tastes of the same beer (with and without the yeast) I chose the yeast at the end but for starts I poured the clear version. That is what I called "pretty". The head is tight and very slightly green. I read the cork to say 065/759976. If anyone reads this review (and I have no reason to believe that anyone really does) and you know what these numbers mean....let me know.

The beer.... she looks good (nice tight head). The nose has a little anise in it. The taste is bitter then sweet but mostly bitter. I say it tries to taste like a dubbel ( which is one of my favorite tastes) but with all this bitterness I look to some food to pair this extremely noticable taste with. It's too bitter alone and makes me think this is a food beer. I expected a drink by itself beer but not so.

I like this beer but am dissappointed by the bitterness. It is too present. The Abbaye des Rocs Belgian Burgundy is much better alone and I assume with food. Whoo Hoo to the dubbel once again. The dubbel trumps the Grand Cru.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked and capped 750ml bottle. I’ve had this one before but let’s just say my palate wasn’t very acute after a full day of beer festing. Do yourself a favor, don’t try to get the cork out of this one without the proper implement, it’s a rugged one. When poured out into my La Trappe goblet the body of this beer is ruby brown and hazy, topped with a meringue like head of off-white foam. Flecks of sediment can be seen sinking to the bottom. This is one delicious smelling beer, lot of vinous notes with hints of brandy soaked fruit. Sweet malt, toffee, and spicy, musty, delicious yeast. The flavor is candy sweet without being cloying. There is a pear-like fruitiness across the front of my palate, combined with suprising sweet coffee like notes. Then that flavor that I often Belgian Strong Darks that I refer to as dates rolled in attic dust, I love it really. The finish is musty, nutty and delicious, with a robust spicy alcohol punch. What a really great frickin’ beer…one that I will definitely be picking up again.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thank you Half Time for carrying this beer. Pours a moderately clear brown with a super thick beige head. Retention and lacing are as good as it gets. Just a beautiful beer. Smells lightly orangey with a bit of ginger. Perhaps a bit of bread but not overly yeasty. Inviting. Mildly fruity in it's malt. Almost like a light bock, but different. Hints of milk chocolate pop in and out. Peppery, fuity, funky. Finishes mildly tart and a hint of yeast twang dryness. Everything about this is understated. It's sublime.

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

Very impressive head. Massive. After a minute it breaks up into huge rocky chunks but still manages to maintain its mass. Really impressive. Beautiful garnet red color. The yeast is a bring down though. Big huge chunks of yeast even after 2 weeks in the fridge and a careful pour.

Very impressive nose. Definately some Belgian spiceyness but mingles nicely with big fruity esters and a light candi sweetness. Get just a touch of ethanol in the nose too. Very nice.

Very nice flavor. Earthy and peppery and just enough sweetness to mellow everything out. This is the real Dr.Pepper!! Very nice. Just a touch harsh in the finish. Just a touch. The alcohol is well concealed. You feel it on your breath rather than taste it. Not 'hot' at all. Definately feel it in your mouth after a while though too. But still very nice. Actually, maybe that's some of the harshness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is right on for the style. Fairly light with high carbonation.

Dangerously drinkalbe for such a big beer!

Really stood up nicely against the lamb shanks my roomate made for dinner. And its hard to stand up to the meatiest of meats.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Sampled at From The Vine beer tasting Jan 14th, 2005: Hazy amber with a thick and foamy beige head. Decent lacing. The aroma is sweet with malt, yeast and melon. Full-bodied, creamy and satisfying with a complex array of flavors from ginger, caramel and malt to fruit and even chocolate. I was blown away by how flavorful even a small glass of this was. The finish is sweet and lingering with roasted malt and spices (cinnamon, figs). Outstanding Belgian!

Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special Brown from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.