That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout Rolled Oat Stout - Pearl Street Brewery

That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout Rolled Oat StoutThat's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout Rolled Oat Stout

Pearl Street Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 03-01-2005)

whartontallboy, Jan 02, 2012

I2uss, Nov 18, 2011
1.55/5  rDev -46.2%

I am reviewing the Rolled Oat Stout, but the bottle says nothing about it being organic. It's says "That's What I'm Talkin 'Bout Rolled Oat Stout." Different beer? Pours a thick dark brown color with a small chocolate milk colored head upon a hard pour, but fell quickly leaving no lacing. There almost no aroma in this beer. It smells plastic-like, slightly metallic. Nothing in the way of roasted malt or anything remotely stout like. Worst aroma of a beer I've come across. Taste is very light coffee, metallic again, slightly astringent, just overall not good. No sweetness to be found for a sweet stout. This is watered down beyond belief, which is surprising considering how thick it looked upon the pour. Mouthfeel is light and watery. No redeeming qualities in this beer. I'm having trouble finishing it. This might be a darinpour in the next few seconds.

KeefD, Dec 23, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -43.4%

Pours very dark, velvety brown with a creamy tan head.

Aroma is charred dark grain with a residual oatmeal sweetness.

Taste is extremely muddy and off putting. There is an initial smokey charred dark grain bitterness. However, it immediately turns into a flat cola-like flavor. Shockingly bad; especially when compared to the nose.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

What the hell? looks good. Smells good. Tastes unbelievably terrible. I can't believe it.

Blakaeris, May 03, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -39.2%

jreindl, Apr 20, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -35.8%

This stout leaves almost everything to be desired.

Really awful is almost everyway.
The pour and the aroma was standard, allowing you to expect something from the flavor and moutfeel.
Nice frothy head with a nut brown color.
Where this beer goes astray is in the tartness that comes through from beginning to end.
Almost wondering if they soured their oats before mashing in.

Sorry Pearl Street.

BasementBer, Jan 18, 2012
1.98/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a dark brown with some light mahogany highlights. Very thin light head.

The smell is nice with a sweet cereal quality blending in with some nice black and smoked notes.

The flavor is very substandard, flat with a one dimensional light black smoked flavor, lacking all of the promise that the nose held.

The mouthfeel is very thin and watery for a stout, way to thin for a stout.

Poor poor stout, after Pearl Street Beers I hope to never suffer through another, they need to go back to the drawing board.

bashiba, May 03, 2011

tourdot, Mar 09, 2012

On-tap at Del's Bar.

Served to the very top of a pint glass with zero head. Solid black, but thin looking.

Smells roasty with some coffee malt notes.

The taste is so watered down. The main flavor component is of musty old grains. Really hard to drink this.

This has to be the furthest thing from an oatmeal stout. So watery and thin, I think they forgot to put the oats in.

I dare call this a beer that falls into either the oatmeal or stout categories. I had about three sips and set the rest down. I recommend staying away from this beer unless you try it at the brewery. The other beers at the brewery seem to be good, so maybe it's the bar to blame?

jera1350, Apr 30, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -27.1%

This one pours black with a faint wispy head that fades to nothing. A pretty lifeless looking pour. Aroma is bitter cocoa, light coffee and nutty. The first sip was quite a sour and funky malt flavor. Day old coffee. I did detect some faint hops as well. Overall it is not very good.

brewbucker, Feb 20, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

Pours black in color with a bit of red highlighting along the edges of the glass. A one inch tan head forms on top which leaves

Aroma is full of diacetyl, it basically smells like butterscotch candy. I don't get anything else but that.

Taste is basically like a mocha iced coffee in which all the ice has melted. Very watered down taste and that butter taste, while not as bad as the aroma, does not help things.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, though it does have a decent smoothness to it, but it just doesn't save it.

Really quite an offensive beer, I would not drink it again. The only way I can get it down is to hold my breath while I drink. That butter is my most hated characteristic in beers and there is way too much of it here. I will probably just chug it down so I don't have to drain pour it. Avoid this one.

roadhouse, May 22, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -24.7%

Pours a black to dark brown color, growing a 1/4" watery, brown colored head that disappears quickly.

Aroma has some malt characteristics, slightly chocolatey and a touch of roastiness. Strangely enough, I pick up something that really reminds me of a freshly opened jar of green olives. Bleh.

The flavor has some typical oatmeal stout flavors, slightly chocolatey and roasty, but there is an acrid sort of pickled vegetable flavor that pretty much ruins everything.

Wow, this was almost drain pour for me. I did manage to choke it down, but the whole Olivey character is pretty nasty. I can honestly say I've never had a beer that smells and tastes like olives. Nor do I ever want to experience that again. >.<

Soneast, Jun 19, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -21.9%

nickapalooza86, Jan 24, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -19.1%

I'm always in conflict about reviewing old or flawed beers. Of course I didn't know it when I bought it and there is no way to identify the age on this one without markings on the bottle.
Too bad as the initial presentation is respectable. Dark roast with strong coffee overtones. Just a hint of oxidation, but not enough to distract.
Smallish head is really only mark on this. Black as night. Tan thin head, but persistent.
Flavor just doesn't have it and I'm not sure it ever did. Some staleness, but the good flavors are lacking. It doesn't resemble the aroma in any form. Too bad. There is an annoying sourness/tartness that just doesn't fly here.
Body is very thin too and lacks the softness expected for style.
Really hard to finish this glass.
I'm going with this review since others have not found this beer up to snuff either.

garymuchow, Nov 07, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -18.4%

This poured out with a deep black color with a brown fizzy head on top. No retention or lacing at all here. The smell of the beer is roasted, maybe a little bit of a smokiness in there too. The taste of the beer is roasted also but really not good right out of the fridge. I gave it time to warm up and it got a little better but still not that impressive. Very one dimensional brew. The mouthfeel is thin and not really thick like an Oatmeal Stout should be. Overall it's not that great sadly. I would still look into other brews from this brewery but not this one.

Knapp85, Oct 02, 2012
2.43/5  rDev -15.6%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured out the typical black color with a tan foamy two finger head that lasts for only about two minutes and doesn't really leave behind much by the way of lacing. The body was very watery and thin for a stout, making me wonder just how much oats were actually used in this beer.

Smells of faint bitter chocolate and some coffee, but tastes very extract-forward and strangely sour in the finish. Not a big fan of this one.

WastingFreetime, Oct 30, 2012

sgttibbs, Jul 08, 2014

Sconi_tom, May 23, 2014

assman79, Jul 26, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -10.4%

I had this one on special a little while ago, and I can see why they were trying to get rid of it.

It looked fine when it came out to me. A nice deep dark beer with a light tan head.

Smell was not so bad either. Some chocolate, roasted malts, a hint of coffee.

Taste was not bad, but not great either. Chocolate was a lot less prominent than I was expecting, I think the flavor in general was lacking.

Perhaps that is because the beer is so watery! This is by far the wateriest stout I've had. Even if the flavor was better, the mouthfeel would turn me away from this one.

ekmoody, May 14, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -8.7%

A-Dark Sienna colored...small whisp of scarlet highlighted tan head on top.

S-I am digging this. Smells like some Imperial Stouts do. Richly malty...dark chocolate...cream...some dark fruitiness (plums)..

T-WTF??? My goodness this is much worse than the nose led me to believe...the watery body is tough to ignore even as I am focusing on the taste....it has some cold, watered down coffee notes...maybe a little dark chocolate...not a strong point.

M-This is horrible for the style...no smoothness...no creamy texture...no body...just watered down...

D-What a rollercoaster this one was....the aroma is very enticing but then the beer is way below average once you drink it...not recommended...

ZAP, Feb 27, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours black with a 1” foamy head the color of a cocoa powder brown which dissipated quickly, leaving a ring of tiny bubbles.

Smell: Lightly roasted, reminiscent of a dark roast coffee. I also can faintly pick up the smell of oats/grain.

Taste: The taste leaves the palate wanting for the smell, as the dark coffee is missing and more of sweet nutty notes come through followed by a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light (almost to the extent of being watery) and smooth with medium carbonation. The carbonation lingers, leaving a effervescence feel on the palate. This beer has a slightly bitter finish.

Overall: The nostalgia of La Crosse and good times at the Pearl Street Brewery make up for what this beer was lacking. However, with that factored out, this oatmeal stout’s appearance and smell cannot make up for the taste and watery mouthfeel. I may pick up this one again in the future, but for now there are many more beers to review and my Pearl Street Brewery reminiscing is complete.

Big_Twofifty, Feb 23, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -4.5%

AmandaSchaefer, May 18, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -4.5%

wiscokid920, Dec 03, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Black bodied beer. Dark brown creamy head. No lace. Big dose of cherry chocolate on the nose. Roasted malts and cocoa too. First word that comes to mind when tasting this beer is astringent. (Too much black patent maybe?) There's some chocolate flavors and also some burnt malt char like flavors. Tobacco juice. And a residual chalky feel on the aftertaste. Medium bodied and a little lifeless in the mouthfeel department. This one's really not that good.

Bighuge, Feb 23, 2010