That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout Rolled Oat Stout - Pearl Street Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Pearl Street Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: cokes on 03-01-2005)

3.6/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle brought back from WI recently. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep pitch black. Thin beige head on top. The nose is really rich and bursting with sweet chocolate notes, syrup, a little booze. Really nice aroma. The mouth is moderately full. Carbonation is decent. It's not as thin as others have noted. The edges could be smoothed out a bit, as there is a bit of a bite of carb at the back end. This is a roasted malt-forward beer for sure. A bit of char in the mouth, some smoke, and mild semi-sweet cocoa. This was a decent drink, and one I would revisit.

I was surprised to see such low ratings from all the recent reviews, which makes me wonder if there's a bit of "follow-the-crowd" mentality. Is this the best Oatmeal Stout out there? By no means. But nor do I think it deserves the low ratings across the board. Good beer. Try it for yourself.

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

On-tap at Del's Bar.

Served to the very top of a pint glass with zero head. Solid black, but thin looking.

Smells roasty with some coffee malt notes.

The taste is so watered down. The main flavor component is of musty old grains. Really hard to drink this.

This has to be the furthest thing from an oatmeal stout. So watery and thin, I think they forgot to put the oats in.

I dare call this a beer that falls into either the oatmeal or stout categories. I had about three sips and set the rest down. I recommend staying away from this beer unless you try it at the brewery. The other beers at the brewery seem to be good, so maybe it's the bar to blame?

1.85/5  rDev -36.4%

This stout leaves almost everything to be desired.

Really awful is almost everyway.
The pour and the aroma was standard, allowing you to expect something from the flavor and moutfeel.
Nice frothy head with a nut brown color.
Where this beer goes astray is in the tartness that comes through from beginning to end.
Almost wondering if they soured their oats before mashing in.

Sorry Pearl Street.

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

2.75/5  rDev -5.5%

3.75/5  rDev +28.9%

1.63/5  rDev -44%

Pours very dark, velvety brown with a creamy tan head.

Aroma is charred dark grain with a residual oatmeal sweetness.

Taste is extremely muddy and off putting. There is an initial smokey charred dark grain bitterness. However, it immediately turns into a flat cola-like flavor. Shockingly bad; especially when compared to the nose.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

What the hell? looks good. Smells good. Tastes unbelievably terrible. I can't believe it.

1.98/5  rDev -32%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a dark brown with some light mahogany highlights. Very thin light head.

The smell is nice with a sweet cereal quality blending in with some nice black and smoked notes.

The flavor is very substandard, flat with a one dimensional light black smoked flavor, lacking all of the promise that the nose held.

The mouthfeel is very thin and watery for a stout, way to thin for a stout.

Poor poor stout, after Pearl Street Beers I hope to never suffer through another, they need to go back to the drawing board.

2.33/5  rDev -19.9%

I'm always in conflict about reviewing old or flawed beers. Of course I didn't know it when I bought it and there is no way to identify the age on this one without markings on the bottle.
Too bad as the initial presentation is respectable. Dark roast with strong coffee overtones. Just a hint of oxidation, but not enough to distract.
Smallish head is really only mark on this. Black as night. Tan thin head, but persistent.
Flavor just doesn't have it and I'm not sure it ever did. Some staleness, but the good flavors are lacking. It doesn't resemble the aroma in any form. Too bad. There is an annoying sourness/tartness that just doesn't fly here.
Body is very thin too and lacks the softness expected for style.
Really hard to finish this glass.
I'm going with this review since others have not found this beer up to snuff either.

2.17/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a black to dark brown color, growing a 1/4" watery, brown colored head that disappears quickly.

Aroma has some malt characteristics, slightly chocolatey and a touch of roastiness. Strangely enough, I pick up something that really reminds me of a freshly opened jar of green olives. Bleh.

The flavor has some typical oatmeal stout flavors, slightly chocolatey and roasty, but there is an acrid sort of pickled vegetable flavor that pretty much ruins everything.

Wow, this was almost drain pour for me. I did manage to choke it down, but the whole Olivey character is pretty nasty. I can honestly say I've never had a beer that smells and tastes like olives. Nor do I ever want to experience that again. >.<

2.58/5  rDev -11.3%

I had this one on special a little while ago, and I can see why they were trying to get rid of it.

It looked fine when it came out to me. A nice deep dark beer with a light tan head.

Smell was not so bad either. Some chocolate, roasted malts, a hint of coffee.

Taste was not bad, but not great either. Chocolate was a lot less prominent than I was expecting, I think the flavor in general was lacking.

Perhaps that is because the beer is so watery! This is by far the wateriest stout I've had. Even if the flavor was better, the mouthfeel would turn me away from this one.

2.85/5  rDev -2.1%

12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A - After letting this beer warm up for some time, I steadily poured it into a pint glass. A thick, dark black body rolled out of the bottle and into the glass. A frothy dark tan head about a finger thick settled nicely on the top of the beer before fading to a bubbly ring around the glass with spotty portions of bubbles in between.

S - Lots of dark roasted notes that give me the inclination that this beer is going to be somewhat bitter, but I will reserve my judgement until the time comes. As of right now though, the roasted smell, which is very coffee like, has me thinking this is Pearl's version of a coffee stout. Sweet and creamy aspects that one would expect in the style are either faint or non-existent. The roasted malt smell keeps this beer somewhat respectable in this category.

T - Taste is missing just what my nose was. There is plenty of roasted malts here that are pretty solid and ride the fine line of bitterness pretty well. However, there is nothing else to note beyond that. Slight, and by slight, I mean hardly existent, toffee and cream notes are present but are much too weak in this beer.

M - Medium to full bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. This beer has plenty of roasted malts entering the mouth. Carbonation arrives and seems to carry the roasted malt flavor throughout the beer. Faint toffee and cream notes are present at the very end, but are hardly noticeable and what you are left with a slightly bitter and dry finish.

D - It's hard to give this beer a respectable score in the drinkability portion with how backwards this stout seems to be. A stout with a severe lacking of creamy sweetness or chocolate flavors like this one makes it unlikely that I would buy more. Aside from a nice looking beer, this one doesn't do much for me.

2.63/5  rDev -9.6%

A-Dark Sienna colored...small whisp of scarlet highlighted tan head on top.

S-I am digging this. Smells like some Imperial Stouts do. Richly malty...dark chocolate...cream...some dark fruitiness (plums)..

T-WTF??? My goodness this is much worse than the nose led me to believe...the watery body is tough to ignore even as I am focusing on the taste....it has some cold, watered down coffee notes...maybe a little dark chocolate...not a strong point.

M-This is horrible for the style...no smoothness...no creamy texture...no body...just watered down...

D-What a rollercoaster this one was....the aroma is very enticing but then the beer is way below average once you drink it...not recommended...

2.83/5  rDev -2.7%

Poored for stubby bottle black and thick looking. Smells like a standard stout. Taste kinda dark chockolaty kinda almost an odd fruity. Feel is a little thiner than I was hoping for. Could see drinking this again but nothing worth going out of my way for.

2.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Black bodied beer. Dark brown creamy head. No lace. Big dose of cherry chocolate on the nose. Roasted malts and cocoa too. First word that comes to mind when tasting this beer is astringent. (Too much black patent maybe?) There's some chocolate flavors and also some burnt malt char like flavors. Tobacco juice. And a residual chalky feel on the aftertaste. Medium bodied and a little lifeless in the mouthfeel department. This one's really not that good.

2.93/5  rDev +0.7%

Pour is very dark brown - to style. Tan head - gone quickly.

Nose is simple roast malt - not much more. Nothing off - just roast.

Simple taste, a bit a watery. Roast malt, an astringency, a hint of vanilla, simple and unrefined. Not much of a mouthfeel here.

Nothing overly flawed, but nothing that distinguishes.

A lower level stout in my book.

That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout Rolled Oat Stout from Pearl Street Brewery