2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dankenstein IIPA - Pearl Street Brewery

Dankenstein IIPADankenstein IIPA

Pearl Street Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: rockwell on 12-28-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 58 | Reviews: 30 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by DrDoitchbig:
DrDoitchbig

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Poured a hazy color caught somewhere between amber and brown. With any kind of light source behind it slices of orange show themselves. The khaki head start off at about one and a half fingers, but vanished to a cap within minutes. Lacing was pretty much nonexistent, but there were a few dimples here and there.

Smell: It's apparent with the first whiff that this brew was aptly named. Resiny, dank, pine infused hops are on the forefront and they come on strong. After the hop bum rush the alcohol rears it's head, generally the hops in this style do a better job covering it up. I'm also picking up on some sweet malt and perhaps some citrus based hops as well. I have no real problem with any of these smells on there own, but for some strange reason the combination keeps reminding me of some kind of industrial solvent. Very strange.

Taste: Thankfully I'm not reminded of solvent in this category. However following the smell the resiny, floral hops are firmly in control. There's a touch of earthiness to them, with a nice dash of grapefruit to boot. Somewhere in the middle there is some of caramel malt, which is whisked away by the lingering bitter finish. I have a couple complaints here. First off I'm all for the dank, resiny hops, but I feel they work much better when they complimented by other hop flavors. This is just one-sided with it's resiny onslaught. It sort of reminds me of weed, honestly. Secondly, while this brew is completely hop centric, the flavors really aren't that strong. The level of bitterness and hop flavor is closer to standard IPA levels. It's like they forgot to add some extra aromatic hops to this batch.

Mouthfeel: The body is a solid medium and the carbonation is spot on. But there is an astringent aspect here that I am not feeling.

Drinkability: This really isn't a terrible beer. But I've had some of the pinnacles (in my mind) of this category and this just doesn't stand up. I've had many that were absolutely teeming with every kind of manifestation of hop flavor you can think of. This was just too one dimensional for me and as mentioned a bit on the weak side. I'm tired of drinking it after one serving.

From the amount of reviews this beer seems to be new to bottles. I'm not familiar with Pearl Street, but it's possible they could be new to bottling as a whole. If I only lived in Wisconsin I'd give this one another chance straight from the brewery. In it's current state though I just can't give it high marks.

03-11-2010 06:26:37 | More by DrDoitchbig

Sconi_tom

03-14-2014 16:34:13 | More by Sconi_tom
Endeavor11

2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

Weird strong immediate aftertaste that's not pleasant. I'm up to three drinks now seeing if the taste improves. I'm at the forth and no improvement. I can't keep it in my mouth long enough to determine what the aftertaste is. Just not a beer to my liking.

03-14-2014 00:11:58 | More by Endeavor11
TastyIsBeer

02-16-2014 15:16:04 | More by TastyIsBeer
derkfromwi

3.75/5  rDev +14%

12-25-2013 23:34:03 | More by derkfromwi
Powderhornphil

2.59/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pretty much feel this less than OK in every catagory.

For attempting to claim to be a dank IIPA the nose is pretty lifeless. Perhaps a little butter.

Taste is buttered popcorn and malty dark fruits. A hint of hop bitterness kicks in at the end but it's not nearly enough to redeem this. Almost more of a barleywine on the palate.

Proceed with caution.

09-08-2013 01:22:16 | More by Powderhornphil
superfriend

08-01-2013 04:26:04 | More by superfriend
Pellinore1

07-29-2013 02:21:57 | More by Pellinore1
Ri0

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

poured 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A - looks like a dark rusty brown color with almost no head at all. I poured this very aggressively into my tulip. A few spots of lacing.

S - Malt bomb with syrup. I detect only the slightest amount of hops.

T - Malt bomb with butter and syrup. Hops almost non existent. WTF. Hint of bitterness on the finish and alcohol.

M - Medium bodied with very low carbonation. Syrupy and buttery.

O - So far this is the worst IIPA I have ever had. Not sure if it was old or this is standard. Reviews for this are all over the place. May as well be a barleywine, at least it was free. Based on this I may never try another PSB beer again.

07-28-2013 16:48:10 | More by Ri0

05-29-2013 01:53:02 | More by Nachos4two
parejkoj

3.36/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 4 pack of 12 ounce bottles from Casanova in Hudson, WI.

Appearance: Dark amber, almost mahogany, very clear. Decent head that lingers. Good carbonation.

Smell: Nothing remarkable. Was expecting more hop aroma, the caramel/amber malts overpower any possible hop aroma. A little 'dankiness' can be found though. Almost smells oaky. Can smell a little toffee (oxidation?).

Taste: I like it. As other reviewers have mentioned, it's clearly a barleywine hidden behind a IIPA facade. Perceptible alcohol up front, but lots of caramel malt come through quickly. Noticeable bitterness toward the end, but I wouldn't describe it as 'dank'. Although, I'll admit I haven't had that many dank IPAs. It's not bad, but not what one would expect as an IIPA.

Mouthfeel: Fairly smooth, although the noticeable alcohol is upfront at first.

Overall: I don't think it's too bad. I think it could be a lot better if they eased off on some of the caramel/amber malt and bumped up the late-addition aroma hops, if they want to stick with IIPA. Otherwise, it could be a solid barleywine. I enjoyed their other beers while in undergrad at La Crosse often (Downtown Brown and El Hefe) so I'd really like to see Pearl Street Brewery do well. La Crosse deserves a good brewery.

05-13-2013 02:43:45 | More by parejkoj

BellsFan

03-30-2013 00:30:25 | More by BellsFan
nickapalooza86

4.64/5  rDev +41%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very murky amber color with a 1/4th finger of a tan head.

smells like a hop forward barleywine, pine, caramel, plums, toffee and earthy hops.

taste is piney hops, caramel an toffee malt flavors, grapefruit dankness, earthy bitterness on the finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel is rather silky, very low and I mean low carbonation but it works very well.

Well I see some of the reviews of this are not so hot.... I may be lucky living in La Crosse so I can get it a lot fresher, They seem to date all of their beers except this one, which makes no sense obviously. I think people would like it more if they tried to fresh, really decent stuff at a steal of a price!

03-24-2013 17:41:26 | More by nickapalooza86
OliverBlaze

1.88/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

First of all this doesn't taste like an IPA at all, but more like a dark beer. You can taste a hop presence, but it is quite weak. I don't know what it is, but this IPA just tastes watery to me. Pearl Street does an awful job of masking the hefty alcohol content in this brew as I struggled to choke down this beer and anxiously awaited the end of it. I am a fan of Pearl Street's Pale Ale, but this attempt at a double IPA was an utter failure. I wont be trying this again.

03-13-2013 00:42:20 | More by OliverBlaze