Dankenstein IIPA - Pearl Street Brewery

Dankenstein IIPADankenstein IIPA

Pearl Street Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: rockwell on 12-28-2009)
3.52/5  rDev +6.7%

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

This double IPA should only be enjoyed from a tap. This beer is funky and unique and can offer the drinker a pleasant experience. Just avoid the bottles and go get your growler filled at the brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +36.4%

2.05/5  rDev -37.9%

Weird strong immediate aftertaste that's not pleasant. I'm up to three drinks now seeing if the taste improves. I'm at the forth and no improvement. I can't keep it in my mouth long enough to determine what the aftertaste is. Just not a beer to my liking.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

2.59/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pretty much feel this less than OK in every catagory.

For attempting to claim to be a dank IIPA the nose is pretty lifeless. Perhaps a little butter.

Taste is buttered popcorn and malty dark fruits. A hint of hop bitterness kicks in at the end but it's not nearly enough to redeem this. Almost more of a barleywine on the palate.

Proceed with caution.

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

poured 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A - looks like a dark rusty brown color with almost no head at all. I poured this very aggressively into my tulip. A few spots of lacing.

S - Malt bomb with syrup. I detect only the slightest amount of hops.

T - Malt bomb with butter and syrup. Hops almost non existent. WTF. Hint of bitterness on the finish and alcohol.

M - Medium bodied with very low carbonation. Syrupy and buttery.

O - So far this is the worst IIPA I have ever had. Not sure if it was old or this is standard. Reviews for this are all over the place. May as well be a barleywine, at least it was free. Based on this I may never try another PSB beer again.

3.36/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 4 pack of 12 ounce bottles from Casanova in Hudson, WI.

Appearance: Dark amber, almost mahogany, very clear. Decent head that lingers. Good carbonation.

Smell: Nothing remarkable. Was expecting more hop aroma, the caramel/amber malts overpower any possible hop aroma. A little 'dankiness' can be found though. Almost smells oaky. Can smell a little toffee (oxidation?).

Taste: I like it. As other reviewers have mentioned, it's clearly a barleywine hidden behind a IIPA facade. Perceptible alcohol up front, but lots of caramel malt come through quickly. Noticeable bitterness toward the end, but I wouldn't describe it as 'dank'. Although, I'll admit I haven't had that many dank IPAs. It's not bad, but not what one would expect as an IIPA.

Mouthfeel: Fairly smooth, although the noticeable alcohol is upfront at first.

Overall: I don't think it's too bad. I think it could be a lot better if they eased off on some of the caramel/amber malt and bumped up the late-addition aroma hops, if they want to stick with IIPA. Otherwise, it could be a solid barleywine. I enjoyed their other beers while in undergrad at La Crosse often (Downtown Brown and El Hefe) so I'd really like to see Pearl Street Brewery do well. La Crosse deserves a good brewery.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

4.64/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very murky amber color with a 1/4th finger of a tan head.

smells like a hop forward barleywine, pine, caramel, plums, toffee and earthy hops.

taste is piney hops, caramel an toffee malt flavors, grapefruit dankness, earthy bitterness on the finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel is rather silky, very low and I mean low carbonation but it works very well.

Well I see some of the reviews of this are not so hot.... I may be lucky living in La Crosse so I can get it a lot fresher, They seem to date all of their beers except this one, which makes no sense obviously. I think people would like it more if they tried to fresh, really decent stuff at a steal of a price!

1.88/5  rDev -43%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

First of all this doesn't taste like an IPA at all, but more like a dark beer. You can taste a hop presence, but it is quite weak. I don't know what it is, but this IPA just tastes watery to me. Pearl Street does an awful job of masking the hefty alcohol content in this brew as I struggled to choke down this beer and anxiously awaited the end of it. I am a fan of Pearl Street's Pale Ale, but this attempt at a double IPA was an utter failure. I wont be trying this again.

Dankenstein IIPA from Pearl Street Brewery