Dankenstein IIPA - Pearl Street Brewery

Dankenstein IIPADankenstein IIPA

Pearl Street Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: rockwell on 12-28-2009)
2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

Gotti311, Mar 04, 2013

MIA4IPA, Dec 18, 2012

pabney, Nov 06, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

Just showed up in Hudson across the river for the first time (that I've seen anyways) & I was feeling froggy, so in the back-seat it goes. 12 oz. stub-nose.

Pour is red. Red, like, man, dark red, almost turning to brown out of a direct light source. Looks zilcho like the picture on the brewery website. llljhszAESDCVBNM,. Sorry, that was me wiping Dankenstein off my keyboard after being confused by the nose...all malt, all the time, with a caramel pick. Hops? Nope. Huh. This is a rather odd start.

Dankenstein, I'm not sure what you're meant to be. Quadruple hopped? One hundred percent sure that someone's been swiping those hops before they hits the kettle. As the nose suggests, this is a malt nuke. Earthy, caramel, with a Gabriel Sledgehammer of sweetness & sugar. Hops? Present only in a limp handshake of an aftertaste, bit floral, more earthy, maybe citrus if I squint hard enough. Hugely sticky. Weirdly appealing to drink, though I blame that on my sweet tooth.

Good thing I don't score to style, or this beer would be in negative numbers. Amber Ale? Barleywine? It's closer to either of those than an IPA or IIPA. Even the advertised dankness is missing. Decent enough, but a true mystery of a beer.

maximum12, Sep 22, 2012

Murky orange pour pour with lots of little bubbles when held to the light

Smells, if possible, sticky. Very earthy hops.

Taste reveals s sticky, earthy, smack in the jaw. Far more strong ale than DIPA. Malts punch through with a vengeance while a big orange hop and pine cone finish that grips at the molars.

Mouthfeel is thick and well carbonated.

Drinkabilty is difficult to judge based on a style that is tough to match to the label. She's a rough, abrasive powerhouse.

WoodBrew, Aug 26, 2012

soccerfancooch, Jun 19, 2012

Kunstman, Jun 10, 2012

wakajawaka76, May 30, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -3%

Pours into my tulip with a decent sized (two-fingered) head, a nice, even khaki color, rocky and not goin' anywhere for a while. This impression is a good one. Color is darker brown with highlights of copper, and the clarity is hazey as this one wasn't filtered; plenty of gunk left on the base of the bottle and I'm leaving it there ; )

On the nose there's nothing really goin' on that would lead me to think this was a D-IPA. A whiff of bittering hops, a load of yeast, and some lighter phenols, but I'm smelling a classic strong ale/barleywine, more of the British tradition than anything else -- it's not as if that's a bad thing of course, just not what I'd expected. Reminds me of "Old Man Winter.." from up in Duluth (that's a *good* thing.) Lightly metallic, lighter plum and cherry...

First sip is sweet, pungent, and a little boozy! Notes of ripe fruit (red-skinned apples, sharp plum) and more of that yeast that I just don't ever really get in some takes on the classic American Double IPA style. Mouthfeel is full and creamy (again, owing to the yeast) and this is a bigger-bodied beer. Frankly I like it for what it is, but it will leave some people confused, others disappointed (but for $7.50 a 4-pack I consider it a nice buy.)

Lasting impression is of a sweet, big, sippin' beer, but it's not one that will totally wreck your palate if you're going to be indulging in a hoppier beer sometime after this one: anything with enough hops in it will wipe this flavor off yer tongue! The bitterness is there, but only just: judging by all the placements I saw in town on my recent visit, this is a fresh batch, and I'd expect a greater degree of bitterness in addition to a LOT more floral and aromatic hops on the nose.

Not bad altogether -even though it falls short as a IIPA- and it's one worth trying again sometime. I might cellar a bottle, just in case (it does have the legs for it...)

Chaz, May 15, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Deep caramel brown, but with transparency. The head is a very thin layer of tan foam, but it is of tiny bubbles and has a velvety appearance. Decent lacing.

Huge malty sweet nose. Think Double Crooked Tree here. Getting nary a hop here however.

Very malt heavy with lots of sweetness. Caramel and toffee with burnt sugars. Moderate alcohol presence with a hop bite at the back end. Lingering hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Very barleywine like flavor.

A bit light in the body. A problem that seems to be a theme with this brewery. The carbonation is a bit low also.

Not too shabby a beer, but it does have some kinks to be worked out. This absolutely fits the barleywine category, not the DIPA as listed. Definitely one of the better brews I've sampled from this brewery.

jera1350, May 01, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

A big thanks to TheDudeRules for this extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a very dark brown color into a tulip with about a half finger of tan head that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Heavy malts, slight hops, resin, that’s about it.

Taste – Heavy malt, alcohol, and just a bit of hops. I’m not sure if this is an old IIPA but this sure as hell tastes like a barleywine.

Mouthfeel – Medium to heavy bodied, syrupy, chewy, lower carbonation.

Overall – An odd tasting DIPA and if you even try to consider it a barleywine, it is not all that good.

SpdKilz, Apr 21, 2012

EvanEngelstad, Apr 14, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours no head at all. My glass seemed clean so i'm confused.

Dark for an IIPA. Kind of walnut colored.

Smell is a heavy malt perfume. Resinous.

Taste is a blast of malt followed quickly by hops. Something is slightly out of whack here, not balanced.

Mouthfeel is very big and bold. Alcohol blast is noticeable.

Overall I'd have to say a good effort by a good brewery, but it falls short mainly because of balance. It seems like the hops can't quite match the heavy malt. Ten years ago I would have killed for this beer but now I'm another spoiled beer brat!

joefeidt, Mar 23, 2012

12 oz. bottle tried 18 Oct 2011. Bottle courtesy of R&S, thanks! Served in the 0.4 L Sonnen Gold-Ex becker.

Small tight tan head. Well carbonated. Very dark walnut leather in color. Slightly hazy. Fragrant, like hop syrup, resin, and orange, some ethanol noticeable. Starts malty sweet, quickly becoming quite bitter. Orange and grapefruit pithiness. Medium sticky body, ethanol is warming. Finish and aftertaste are fairly bitter. Becomes more of an aspirin bitterness as it warms.

Nice aroma but a slightly unpleasant bitterness in the flavor.

htomsirveaux, Feb 04, 2012

jakea, Jan 28, 2012

Localdrinklax, Jan 05, 2012

whartontallboy, Jan 02, 2012
3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

A - A vigorous pour into a pint glass resulted in a small white cap of head. Very hazy due to its bottle conditioning. A darker amber colored IPA, on the dark side for the style. Lacked any lacing down the glass.

S - Quite a "stinky" IPA. Some pear/apple like citrus hops. Many dry hop scents given off. A noticeable amount of an alcohol spice to it.

T - Big caramel malts, overall reminiscent of a scotch ale. Lacking a distinct hop flavor but a bit of bitterness. Finishes with a little to much sweetness and doesn't dry out like most IPAs.

M - A rather large body to this beer but lacking on carbonation. Not sure this 4pk has been on shelves.

O - Overall it had great hop smell, the maltiness of the beer threw me for a loop, again it reminds me of some scotch ales. Not my favorite IPA but again not overly familiar with double IPAs.

Jparker37, Dec 05, 2011

wiscokid920, Dec 03, 2011

gio540, Dec 02, 2011

bpfrush, Nov 15, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Tried this one at The Roman Candle on Willy Street in Madison, WI.

Pours a cloudy amber color with quite a bit of head on it.

Smell was nice and hoppy, but I didn't get a lot else coming through.

Taste was good but not great. Caramel flavor upfont with a decent bitter hop finish but not as big as I was expecting/hoping for.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Went down very smooth.

This is a good drinking beer. I wasn't amazed by it but I would drink it again if I saw it.

richkrull, May 09, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to my brother (wonderhinterland) for two bottles.

Bottle #1 was drunk about a month & a half ago and most memorable by the playful name, but I wish I had reviewed it then as I seemed more enjoyable at that time.

#2 was consumed tonight while watching, Good Hair, a documentary by Chris Rock about the black hair industry.

My first impression is that this refrigerated bottle #2 appeared a bit murkier, or shall I say danker, than #1.

Smells of heavy malts and over-steeped tea.

Tastes of burnt sugar, grapefruit rind, resin and oddly a licorice note that seemed to momentarily numb the tip of my tongue.

Perhaps it was in pairing with a documentary that spent ample time on the subject of sodium hydroxide, but i just couldn't get this beer to "relax" me. I gave up before I could see the bottom of my glass and long before the movie had ended.

burnheartsMKE, Dec 29, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured this into a snifter glass

Did a glug glug pour and got no head. Dark chestnut clear body.

Nose at first contained some bourbon but later was not much.

Taste is citrus, hops, malt with a rind finish.

Mouth feel: Well... No head, no bubbles, bad mouth feel

It's too bad, I think they have a good recipe here. The taste is pretty good, but I must discount it due to the lack of carbonation. Gotta pay attention to quality control folks.

daledeee, Nov 12, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +7%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
Thanks to my friend Tom for this one.

Well, it says that it's alive, because it's naturally carbonated in the bottle. Upon popping the cap, I had to get my glass under it, quickly, because it did indeed try to foam over the top of the bottle. All is well though and I managed to catch it all.
This liquid is a medium shade of golden amber. The two-fingers worth of beige foam that make the head recede to a solid, surface covering, film about 1/16" thick. The lacing is in assorted strands and spots which are nicely sticky.

I expected to get hit in the face with an all-out hops assault, with a name like 'Dankenstein'. This is not the case. This really doesn't smell too much like an IIPA. It's more like an American Strong Ale or an English Barleywine, even. Tons of caramel and malt notes fill my senses. Lots of earthy-nutty notes. There is a decent amount of hops presence, piney and citrus-like, but it's definitely below the surface.

Okay, I found the 'dank' characteristic, but it's not the quality that I was looking for. This has a slightly musty (dank) quality to it. Very earthy with slight hints of dirt. This dirtiness is rubbed all over some nice caramel and toffee notes that are almost 'chewy'. This is then covering some good hop presence, which is so far down and buried, that I question calling this one an IIPA, once again.

Just barely full-bodied with a light-to-medium level of carbonation. Mostly smooth, yet it has a touch of sharpness around the edges. A nice hint at some good creaminess.

The 9.50%abv is not completely hidden, but it is sufficiently masked, so as not to be brutal to the palate. It is a touch warming, though. That, combined with the fact that I believe this beer to be mis-categorized, knocks it's score down.
Perhaps Pearl Street needs to adjust this recipe. Better yet, they should just call it an American Strong Ale and it's already a winner.

coldmeat23, Sep 03, 2010