Barrel Aged Scotch Ale - Pearl Street Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Pearl Street Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Scottish Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: levifunk on 04-19-2010)
Reviews by hu5om:
4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

Biked to the brewery and got a free pint for "bike to work week." A finger of cream colored head smelled like brown sugar. Served a bit cold but as it warmed up the flavors came alive. It was a bit sweet but also mellow. My first aged scotch ale, but I really enjoyed it. My friend Pete and I got the last 2 growlers of it until next winter and I am waiting for an epic occasion to open it. U.S. winning the World Cup? I wish...

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

Got a growler of the BA Scotch Ale and drank it the following night.

Poured much more transparent than I expected. This trend carried through to smell and taste. This is by far the lightest Scotch Ale I've ever had. A very lackluster beer. I don't think the Aging went well either as the woody flavor was not appealing.

It was nice to try the beer, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. I am hoping for PS's sake that it was somehow oxidized, but I doubt thats the case.

4.15/5  rDev +14%

Sampled the Barrel Aged Scotch Ale next to the regular (non barrel aged) Scotch ale in 6 ounce glasses.

I really liked their Barrel Aged Scotch much better then the version that was not aged in the barrel.

The Barrel aged Scotch Ale was much more clear and less sweet then the non-barrel aged one. The Oak was prominent in the flavor but not over powering at all. Many barrel aged beers seem to be aged too long in the barrel and take on way too much oak flavor. Pearl Streets version of the Scotch ale was just enough to know it's there, but never overpowers the beer, very balanced. You can tell that the brewers had this in mind when aging!

Barrel Aged gets a A- and the regular Scotch gets a B.

Barrel Aged Scotch Ale from Pearl Street Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.