Hot Chocolate - Valkyrie Brewing

Hot ChocolateHot Chocolate

Valkyrie Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Chile Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-10-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.75/5  rDev +20.6%

richkrull, Jun 10, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

First off, this beer does not deserve the drain-pour attitude of the review by Deebo.

That said, it is an odd bird. I can understand if Deebo took one sip and quit. My first sip had me squinting hard at my glass. Did I want to take a second sip?

Thank goodness I did. This is a very interesting brew.

It offers many excellent features: a handsome pour, a dessert-worthy aroma, a chewy mouthfeel, and a chile pepper burn that increases with each sip.

The one drawback is the somewhat off aftertaste. Don't quite know how to describe it.

I'm gonna stop there, as my first draft got eaten by the gremlins of the digital universe (accidentally closed my browser), and I've had to retype this whole thing. Aargh!

martyl1000, Jun 02, 2014

brandoman63, Nov 18, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

bpfrush, Nov 15, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -61.4%

Tastes like someone put a cigarette in my beer-seriously! I think it's the only beer I've ever had that I couldn't finish. Avoid!

At least it has a nice appearance. Everything else about it is terrible.

Back to the drawing board for this one!!!

deebo, Oct 13, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -31.5%

As I start to pour the beer I get about one inch of beer in my pint glass and it foams up like a volcano and blasts out of my pint onto the floor. Luckily I was standing next to the sink so most of the geiser went down the drain. I give it a minute and try again. FUCK! Same thing. So after some serious care I have about six ounces of beer left. It's black as night with no head or lace.

The aroma is rather nice. I wasn't anticipating something good after the pour. Rich coffee and smoked malt. Hints of chocolate and the cayanne is definitely lurking in there.

The flavor is a solid amount of coffee and hints of dark chocolate. A touch of camp fire and then the pepper. Damn the pepper. This beer is has the second most heat I've ever tasted. The heat title goes to Cave Creek. The pepper just over powers everything.

The body is a total dissapointment as well. Not that I'm surprised after the pour. Thin and way over carbonated. It's more like coke than beer.

Overall except for the aroma this beer is a complete FAIL. I'm hoping it was a bad bottle. I will have to talk to the guys at Viking about this one.

beerwolf77, Jun 26, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +27%

This is a very interesting specialty brew. Murky black/brown, not much head, no lacing, but a heavy porter like body. Silky in the mouth.

Good roasty chocolate malt nose. The depth of flavor is interupted by the spicy notes of peppers, with a nice heat and twang, very well done. The brew finishes dry and invites you to have more. I prize it as a unique dessert beer, specialty occations for sure, a cold winter eve watching hockey say?

Well worth a try for those who enjoy spicy brews.

robbyc1, Apr 15, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

Murky dark brown with no head save for some tan patches in the middle.
Smell is chocolate malts and cocoa up front, with some chocolate syrup and very faint cayenne presence.
Taste is dark chocolate and malts, up front, with some cocoa tones accompanying. The cayenne peppers follow, coming in strong and bringing a lot of heat. The malts carry a bit, with more spicey chocolate. The finish is quite hot.
Mouthfeel is fairly flat, with very little carbonation. Medium-light body.
Decent on drinkability. Probably the hottest beer I've had, as the cayenne presence is impressive. But still, this one is a bit messy and unbalanced.

Parrotbeak, Apr 02, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -26.7%

A- After a very aggressive pour I get 1 finger of tan head which recedes completely in 1 minute. The body is dark black with large yeast chunks hiding out at the bottom.

S- Big creamy chocolate nose, much like a porter, not much else.

T- Starts off with a tiny bit of dark chocolate, then transitions to dry chili notes. Pretty boring, it's just boring chocolate then chili.

M- No carbonation, bad mouthfeel

D- This was not enjoyable to me, it was pretty much a drain pour.

Greggy, Jan 26, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

Picked this up while I was traveling through WI. I had never heard of Viking before, but I love chocolate stouts, and I love hot peppers... so I was very excited to try this.

A: Pours a lifeless murky brown with zero head. There appears to be floaties... pretty much looks like muddy water

S: yikes... the front is all diacetyl, some tootsie roll chocolate quality and a little bit of zing from the cayenne

T: again, lots of off flavors in the front. Diacetyl, artificial chocolate, and a very unpleasant burn from the pepper that leaves tingling on the throat. Needless to say... this one is not living up to my expectations. Nearly a drain pour.

MF: low carbonation, medium body

D: not good... at all.. I thought perhaps I got a bad bottle, but given the other poor reviews, I don't think that is the case. This may be one of the worst beers I have ever had. I guess there is a reason why this brewery stays below the radar here on BA. Let's just hope the Swedish imperial stout is a little better.

homebrew311, Dec 31, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a "dirty-brown" colour with close to no head, even after a vigorous pour. Floaties can be seen throughout the liquid.

S: Roasted malt and sweet milk chocolate as the name suggests. A little bittersweet works its way in as well, with a nice spicy backing.

T:Woah! Temporarily forgot the description--holy peppers in the finish! Sweet malt, chocolate and roasted malt, then the peppers come in smoothly and dial up in intensity. Very nice peppery finish. Bittersweet chocolate works pretty well with the spicy pepper.

M: Light and a bit watery. It would be nice to have a bit more here.

D: Very interesting beer from Viking. If they toned down the spice a little and dialed up the mouthfeel and chocolate/malty flavours, I think they would have something special on their hands.

darklordlager, Dec 24, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Black in color with light chocolate colored head. The nose is malty and dull. I know about what is coming due to the "brewed with cocoa and cayenne pepper" statement on the label. I am bracing myself for an all or nothing type of experience. The attack is smooth with a chocolate and malt forward presentation. The cayenne presents late and gains heat as it finishes in the mouth. It is like a runner sprinting for the finish line the way the intensity grows. The beer is very different, but very good. Back to my statement of it being "all or nothing." This beer is a lot more "all" than "nothing."

Ragingbull, Jul 23, 2009

Pours black with a dark brown head. Aroma consists of cocoa powder, chocolate malt, caramel, toffee and some vinous notes. Medium in body. Dark chocolate malt dominates the flavor profile. It's not bitter though. Rich chocolate midway almost reminds me of Devil's Food cake, but not as sweet. Pepper heat really hits you in the back of the throat and lingers into the finish for a few seconds. As such, it warms the back and roof of your mouth. I really like this as a winter offering.

Winter, Jun 23, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

Smells like hot chocolate. Poured with a porter like look and held some porter aroma's of malt.
Little to no head upon pour and anything there left immediately. Quite a bit of sediment on bottom of bottle that floated in the glass.
Porter chocolate flavor up front that is really quite nice (little sweetness, little chocolate). In a bit the hot pepper kick in, but maybe cuz' this bottle is a bit old it's not too intense, in fact it's not bad. Rather long hotness from pepper in the end, but it blends with the malt. A slight touch of oxidation (from age I assume).
Moderate feel and carbonated mildly.
Drinks fine as long as the pepper isn't too sharp.
This is better than I expected. Not great, but decent and interesting. It went just fine with my taco salad.

garymuchow, Mar 20, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +8.7%

12 ounce bottle from a Viking sampler pack

A- dark brown color which pours a thin tan head. The head dissapates rahter quickly.

S- little to no chocolate or pepper smell to me, but rather s the smell of a coffee stout.

T- again littel chocolate or pepper taste, but a definite but mild spicy aftertaste on the back of the throut / back roof of the mouth.

D- just ok, could drink several more but the combo of beer and spicy aftertaste is generally not for me

Fartknocker, Mar 02, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -1.9%

I usually always give good scores for appearance so this is the exception. It looks piss poor, no head, particulate-laden brown swamp. It smells like chocolate and chile powder. The taste is cocoa powder and pepper. Its not gross but I don't really care for the pairing of chocolate and pepper.

ArrogantB, Jan 28, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +27%

A finger of mocha foam tops off this chile beer. Black body, head doesn't stick around forever, similar to Viking's other stouty beers. Rich chocolate aroma, slightly lactic, some funky chile aroma.

Sweet and dense chocolate flavors, with a building peppery cayenne spice in the finish. Well integrated, the chile isn't too intense, more akin to adding a pinch of pepper to liven up a dish. The mouthfeel is slightly thin, slightly dunkel-ish, but this can be overlooked due to the tasty flavor. Overall I like this, and would drink a couple at a time. This is great stuff if you like a little chile heat in your cocoa. Points for creativity...chiles and chocolate isn't that big of a stretch really.

emerge077, Dec 15, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +24.8%

Thanks to fellow BA Roger for sharing this bottle with me,poured deep and dark but not quite opaque with a thinner mocha colored head.A bit of pepper spice and bitter chocolate in the nose but the aromas are on the lighter side,I like the flavors of this beer alot more than most I think it starts out roasted with bitter chocolate tones melding into a big spicey finish and I mean its pretty spicey.Hey I liked it it delivered a good combination of flavors and packed a kick,I would drink again.

oberon, May 05, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +22.2%

Nice black pour with a nice tan head that sticks around for a little while.
Aroma is of roasted malts, but there is a touch of floral and spicy hops. Somewhat faint, but it is there.
Taste is nice, Chocolate comes through mostly, but not candy bar like chocolate, just a nice touch of it to go with a roasted flavor and the cayenne doesn't taste like much, but you can feel it...
...which is part of the reason I raised my feel a little, I like the cayenne tinge to the toungue, but this one is just a little thin for a stout.

I like Viking, I think they take some chances, hit or miss.

mnstorm99, Apr 17, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -1%

This beer pours with a stout-like appearance, litte head retention. Aromas of malt hit the nose, no peppery aromas. The taste is exactly the name of the beer...hot chocolate. Somewhat smooth taste with a finish of peppery spicniness (the cayenne pepper perhaps?). A unique beer that could pass as a digestif. Definitely not a beer for sports events and the "light" beer crowd. The more i drank this beer the more spicy heat from the cayenne pepper coated (and remained) in my throat. A little too much...

SiphonKing, Mar 17, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +31.2%

I like this beer! There's a smoothness to it that is nicely contrasted with the peppery hottness of the cayenne. Also the maltiness. Really, I like the way this turned out. A bit of a problem with head retention and lace, but wth. Nice n dark, very chocolatey, silky. Nice finish.

drpimento, Feb 18, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +26.4%

Pours a deep black color with almost no head. Nose is coffee with some slight chocolate notes. Flavor is mocha, a tad bitter, with a very nice heated finish from the cayenne. Kept on drinking this as I was enjoying the heat in the back. I also detected some cherry mixed in with the chocolate which was very nice. I thought this was pretty good, maybe be a bit thin for some, but for me it was a medium to get some chile pepper heat which I am quite fond of. Thanks to JeffKrenner for this bottle

thaichile, Apr 15, 2007