2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hot Chocolate - Valkyrie Brewing

Hot ChocolateHot Chocolate

Valkyrie Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Chile Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-10-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 43 | Reviews: 39 | Show All Ratings:
deebo

1.2/5  rDev -60.9%

Tastes like someone put a cigarette in my beer-seriously! I think it's the only beer I've ever had that I couldn't finish. Avoid!

At least it has a nice appearance. Everything else about it is terrible.

Back to the drawing board for this one!!!

10-13-2010 01:50:47 | More by deebo
beerwolf77

2.13/5  rDev -30.6%

As I start to pour the beer I get about one inch of beer in my pint glass and it foams up like a volcano and blasts out of my pint onto the floor. Luckily I was standing next to the sink so most of the geiser went down the drain. I give it a minute and try again. FUCK! Same thing. So after some serious care I have about six ounces of beer left. It's black as night with no head or lace.

The aroma is rather nice. I wasn't anticipating something good after the pour. Rich coffee and smoked malt. Hints of chocolate and the cayanne is definitely lurking in there.

The flavor is a solid amount of coffee and hints of dark chocolate. A touch of camp fire and then the pepper. Damn the pepper. This beer is has the second most heat I've ever tasted. The heat title goes to Cave Creek. The pepper just over powers everything.

The body is a total dissapointment as well. Not that I'm surprised after the pour. Thin and way over carbonated. It's more like coke than beer.

Overall except for the aroma this beer is a complete FAIL. I'm hoping it was a bad bottle. I will have to talk to the guys at Viking about this one.

06-26-2010 00:57:46 | More by beerwolf77
robbyc1

3.95/5  rDev +28.7%

This is a very interesting specialty brew. Murky black/brown, not much head, no lacing, but a heavy porter like body. Silky in the mouth.

Good roasty chocolate malt nose. The depth of flavor is interupted by the spicy notes of peppers, with a nice heat and twang, very well done. The brew finishes dry and invites you to have more. I prize it as a unique dessert beer, specialty occations for sure, a cold winter eve watching hockey say?

Well worth a try for those who enjoy spicy brews.

04-15-2010 00:51:58 | More by robbyc1
Parrotbeak

3.63/5  rDev +18.2%

Murky dark brown with no head save for some tan patches in the middle.
Smell is chocolate malts and cocoa up front, with some chocolate syrup and very faint cayenne presence.
Taste is dark chocolate and malts, up front, with some cocoa tones accompanying. The cayenne peppers follow, coming in strong and bringing a lot of heat. The malts carry a bit, with more spicey chocolate. The finish is quite hot.
Mouthfeel is fairly flat, with very little carbonation. Medium-light body.
Decent on drinkability. Probably the hottest beer I've had, as the cayenne presence is impressive. But still, this one is a bit messy and unbalanced.

04-02-2010 03:58:25 | More by Parrotbeak
Greggy

2.28/5  rDev -25.7%

A- After a very aggressive pour I get 1 finger of tan head which recedes completely in 1 minute. The body is dark black with large yeast chunks hiding out at the bottom.

S- Big creamy chocolate nose, much like a porter, not much else.

T- Starts off with a tiny bit of dark chocolate, then transitions to dry chili notes. Pretty boring, it's just boring chocolate then chili.

M- No carbonation, bad mouthfeel

D- This was not enjoyable to me, it was pretty much a drain pour.

01-26-2010 22:28:42 | More by Greggy
homebrew311

1.75/5  rDev -43%

Picked this up while I was traveling through WI. I had never heard of Viking before, but I love chocolate stouts, and I love hot peppers... so I was very excited to try this.

A: Pours a lifeless murky brown with zero head. There appears to be floaties... pretty much looks like muddy water

S: yikes... the front is all diacetyl, some tootsie roll chocolate quality and a little bit of zing from the cayenne

T: again, lots of off flavors in the front. Diacetyl, artificial chocolate, and a very unpleasant burn from the pepper that leaves tingling on the throat. Needless to say... this one is not living up to my expectations. Nearly a drain pour.

MF: low carbonation, medium body

D: not good... at all.. I thought perhaps I got a bad bottle, but given the other poor reviews, I don't think that is the case. This may be one of the worst beers I have ever had. I guess there is a reason why this brewery stays below the radar here on BA. Let's just hope the Swedish imperial stout is a little better.

12-31-2009 02:56:13 | More by homebrew311
darklordlager

3.53/5  rDev +15%

Pours a "dirty-brown" colour with close to no head, even after a vigorous pour. Floaties can be seen throughout the liquid.

S: Roasted malt and sweet milk chocolate as the name suggests. A little bittersweet works its way in as well, with a nice spicy backing.

T:Woah! Temporarily forgot the description--holy peppers in the finish! Sweet malt, chocolate and roasted malt, then the peppers come in smoothly and dial up in intensity. Very nice peppery finish. Bittersweet chocolate works pretty well with the spicy pepper.

M: Light and a bit watery. It would be nice to have a bit more here.

D: Very interesting beer from Viking. If they toned down the spice a little and dialed up the mouthfeel and chocolate/malty flavours, I think they would have something special on their hands.

12-24-2009 01:28:53 | More by darklordlager
Ragingbull

3.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Black in color with light chocolate colored head. The nose is malty and dull. I know about what is coming due to the "brewed with cocoa and cayenne pepper" statement on the label. I am bracing myself for an all or nothing type of experience. The attack is smooth with a chocolate and malt forward presentation. The cayenne presents late and gains heat as it finishes in the mouth. It is like a runner sprinting for the finish line the way the intensity grows. The beer is very different, but very good. Back to my statement of it being "all or nothing." This beer is a lot more "all" than "nothing."

07-23-2009 14:42:29 | More by Ragingbull
Winter

Wisconsin

Pours black with a dark brown head. Aroma consists of cocoa powder, chocolate malt, caramel, toffee and some vinous notes. Medium in body. Dark chocolate malt dominates the flavor profile. It's not bitter though. Rich chocolate midway almost reminds me of Devil's Food cake, but not as sweet. Pepper heat really hits you in the back of the throat and lingers into the finish for a few seconds. As such, it warms the back and roof of your mouth. I really like this as a winter offering.

06-23-2009 20:15:32 | More by Winter
garymuchow

3.63/5  rDev +18.2%

Smells like hot chocolate. Poured with a porter like look and held some porter aroma's of malt.
Little to no head upon pour and anything there left immediately. Quite a bit of sediment on bottom of bottle that floated in the glass.
Porter chocolate flavor up front that is really quite nice (little sweetness, little chocolate). In a bit the hot pepper kick in, but maybe cuz' this bottle is a bit old it's not too intense, in fact it's not bad. Rather long hotness from pepper in the end, but it blends with the malt. A slight touch of oxidation (from age I assume).
Moderate feel and carbonated mildly.
Drinks fine as long as the pepper isn't too sharp.
This is better than I expected. Not great, but decent and interesting. It went just fine with my taco salad.

03-20-2009 17:34:06 | More by garymuchow
Fartknocker

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%

12 ounce bottle from a Viking sampler pack

A- dark brown color which pours a thin tan head. The head dissapates rahter quickly.

S- little to no chocolate or pepper smell to me, but rather s the smell of a coffee stout.

T- again littel chocolate or pepper taste, but a definite but mild spicy aftertaste on the back of the throut / back roof of the mouth.

D- just ok, could drink several more but the combo of beer and spicy aftertaste is generally not for me

03-02-2009 00:55:33 | More by Fartknocker
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

I usually always give good scores for appearance so this is the exception. It looks piss poor, no head, particulate-laden brown swamp. It smells like chocolate and chile powder. The taste is cocoa powder and pepper. Its not gross but I don't really care for the pairing of chocolate and pepper.

01-28-2009 03:01:26 | More by ArrogantB
emerge077

3.95/5  rDev +28.7%

A finger of mocha foam tops off this chile beer. Black body, head doesn't stick around forever, similar to Viking's other stouty beers. Rich chocolate aroma, slightly lactic, some funky chile aroma.

Sweet and dense chocolate flavors, with a building peppery cayenne spice in the finish. Well integrated, the chile isn't too intense, more akin to adding a pinch of pepper to liven up a dish. The mouthfeel is slightly thin, slightly dunkel-ish, but this can be overlooked due to the tasty flavor. Overall I like this, and would drink a couple at a time. This is great stuff if you like a little chile heat in your cocoa. Points for creativity...chiles and chocolate isn't that big of a stretch really.

12-15-2008 02:24:10 | More by emerge077
oberon

3.88/5  rDev +26.4%

Thanks to fellow BA Roger for sharing this bottle with me,poured deep and dark but not quite opaque with a thinner mocha colored head.A bit of pepper spice and bitter chocolate in the nose but the aromas are on the lighter side,I like the flavors of this beer alot more than most I think it starts out roasted with bitter chocolate tones melding into a big spicey finish and I mean its pretty spicey.Hey I liked it it delivered a good combination of flavors and packed a kick,I would drink again.

05-05-2008 21:32:33 | More by oberon
mnstorm99

3.8/5  rDev +23.8%

Nice black pour with a nice tan head that sticks around for a little while.
Aroma is of roasted malts, but there is a touch of floral and spicy hops. Somewhat faint, but it is there.
Taste is nice, Chocolate comes through mostly, but not candy bar like chocolate, just a nice touch of it to go with a roasted flavor and the cayenne doesn't taste like much, but you can feel it...
...which is part of the reason I raised my feel a little, I like the cayenne tinge to the toungue, but this one is just a little thin for a stout.

I like Viking, I think they take some chances, hit or miss.

04-17-2008 13:52:42 | More by mnstorm99
SiphonKing

3.08/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer pours with a stout-like appearance, litte head retention. Aromas of malt hit the nose, no peppery aromas. The taste is exactly the name of the beer...hot chocolate. Somewhat smooth taste with a finish of peppery spicniness (the cayenne pepper perhaps?). A unique beer that could pass as a digestif. Definitely not a beer for sports events and the "light" beer crowd. The more i drank this beer the more spicy heat from the cayenne pepper coated (and remained) in my throat. A little too much...

03-17-2008 00:46:58 | More by SiphonKing
drpimento

4.08/5  rDev +32.9%

I like this beer! There's a smoothness to it that is nicely contrasted with the peppery hottness of the cayenne. Also the maltiness. Really, I like the way this turned out. A bit of a problem with head retention and lace, but wth. Nice n dark, very chocolatey, silky. Nice finish.

02-18-2008 04:14:00 | More by drpimento
thaichile

3.93/5  rDev +28%

Pours a deep black color with almost no head. Nose is coffee with some slight chocolate notes. Flavor is mocha, a tad bitter, with a very nice heated finish from the cayenne. Kept on drinking this as I was enjoying the heat in the back. I also detected some cherry mixed in with the chocolate which was very nice. I thought this was pretty good, maybe be a bit thin for some, but for me it was a medium to get some chile pepper heat which I am quite fond of. Thanks to JeffKrenner for this bottle

04-15-2007 17:36:44 | More by thaichile
umustdrink

3.63/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Completely opaque black color. Head is a dark brown that recedes quickly to nothing. Lacing is very thin. Looks like black water after all is said and done.

S - Hot pepper scent with some roasted chocolate malts and some soggy bread notes.

T - A nice dark milk chocolaty taste with a spicy chile finish.

M - Very thin consistency, carbonation provides a nice bite that works well with the flavor.

D - A very interesting beer. Spiciness is really cool, reminds me a lot of a habanero mango ice cream I had recently.

02-21-2007 03:46:26 | More by umustdrink
demcorhip

Ontario (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance
Poured a muddy brownish black, with a very thin tan coloured head. Very scantly and finely laced, and mildly and finely carbonated.

Aroma
Roasted malts with prominent aromas of coffee and chocolate. Cocoa powder and a pleasant muddy earthiness also present. Spicy cayenne pepper aroma also present, thankfully not dominating.

Taste
Interesting flavour, somewhat similar to Kahlua and milk, with a hot red pepper finish. I really like how this one starts out with its slightly muddied flavours of coffee, milk chocolate, and cocoa powder. The heat is there, but easy to get used to, but im having trouble deciding if i like this or not. Theres a pronounced bitterness with the cayenne pepper that just seems out of place. It almost really fits, but just doesnt do it for me.

Mouthfeel
A muddy medium bodied brew with the Viking trademark of almost no carbonation. Can feel the mild pepper heat in my throat. Almost balanced, but theres something off with the cayenne pepper preventing this one from pulling it all off.

Drinkability
Not very drinkable, but my limited experience with chili beers hasnt led me to one that was. This one has potential, perhaps their cayenne pepper wasnt at its best. Will take some decent reviews of a new batch to pique my interest in this brew again.

02-03-2007 15:59:35 | More by demcorhip
CH3CH2OH

3.18/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a black/brown with almost no head. The aroma is chocolate cake batter, with a faint hint of chile powder. The taste is much more powerful than the aroma, with a straight balance of malt and hops, with chocolate that seems to cling to the roof of my mouth. The chile outlasts everything else, leaving a satisfying finish. It's a bit thinner than I would like, which is unusual for Viking. I let it warm up quite a bit; I'd shoot for about 55 deg. It's a great concept, matching chile with chocolate, and Viking pulls it off.

11-16-2006 01:29:48 | More by CH3CH2OH
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.33/5  rDev -24.1%

Opaque dark chocolate with a thin rim of lighter brown along the bottom edge of the glass. The cap is on the small side, even after an increasingly elevated pour, and is way too brittle to last or to leave much glass coverage. In fact, within minutes there's very little of either one. I'm betting that the cayenne pepper is playing havoc with head retention and lace formation.

The nose is a big improvement on the appearance. Hot Chocolate smells like roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate and vanilla. There's a faint whiff of something unusual, but there's no way that I could have identified it as cayenne pepper without reading the label. It definitely doesn't ruin things.

Oh boy, not good. I was hoping that the spice addition would be on the 'just a dash' side of things like the brewery claims so that the beer would be a lightly peppery, lightly warming stout. Way too much was added though and the resulting heat ruins everything. I'm not having flashbacks to Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer, but I'm not happy either.

The shame of it is, there's a pretty good American stout in there somewhere. I don't mind chili pepper, cayenne pepper and the like in those pale summertime brews, but it seems way out of place in a stout. I'll have to give Viking points for originality and for truth in advertising (it is hot and it does taste like chocolate), but this beer is a miserable failure in every other way.

The body/mouthfeel is better than decent. It's easily medium for the style and perhaps even a wee bit more full. It's also supremely smooth and makes a more toward lush. I'll have to knock the score back at least a half point though due to the mucous membrane burn. The heat isn't making my mouth feel very good right now.

Hot Chocolate kinda, sorta sounds like a good idea, but it has to be done just right. Viking has added way too much cayenne pepper and has ruined things as a result. Frankly, this beer is a mess and is a new low point for a brewery that struggles to provide high points on any given day.

10-07-2006 19:47:35 | More by BuckeyeNation
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

2.48/5  rDev -19.2%

Originally reviewed April 9, 2005. Bottle at the Gitchee Gumee Brewfest 2005. This beer pours a peculiar milky brown, almost like molten caramel. The aroma is stingy and heavily tannic, but a little sweet and floral. The flavor starts off somewhat rounded and chocolately, but then I get blasted by this bland hot spice, that speaks slightly of roasted pepper. I’m not pleased. I don’t like hot things in my beer. Nobody has executed a hot pepper beer that shows balance or melds with beer's other characteristics, and this is not that.

08-07-2006 14:26:20 | More by CharlesDarwin
orbitalr0x

2.55/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this one up on a trip to Madison. Pours from the stubby 12oz bottle into my tulip glass a deep black color with a small tan head that quickly falls to a ring. Lots of scrod chunkers on the bottom of the glass. Aromas are really quite odd. Burnt chocolate with a powdery lactic twang. Some vanilla, caramel and a hint of peppery spiciness. Can't say I enjoy smelling this one myself.

First sip brings a mild burnt cocoa maltiness that follows with some heat tingling in the mouth from the cayenne peppers. Lactic twang is there again with only a hint of vanilla. Halfway through the glass it begins to burn the back of the throat a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love hot peppers and food, but this combination is really just not good. The rest of the glass with meet its demise in the sink.

Mouthfeel is quite light with really mellow carbonation. Almost seems still in the glass halfway through. This is not a chile beer that I'll be picking up again. This one didn't do it for me at all...maybe you'll have a different opinion!

07-06-2006 02:44:10 | More by orbitalr0x
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.68/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a two finger dark brown head that fades instantly leaving no lace. Black color. Faint carbonation and heavy bodied. Chocolate nose. Roasted chocolate flavor, smooth with some bite but no noticeable cayenne pepper - broken down by the yeast?? $1.59 for a 12oz bottle from Blue Max Liquor Burnsville, Mn.

07-03-2006 22:20:25 | More by jdhilt