Honey Moon - Valkyrie Brewing

good

Valkyrie Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Braggot |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002)
3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Served in a Lexington Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

Ha: Honey Moon. Get it? Yeah... Anyway, it pours a clear pale golden straw topped by a bit less than a finger of white foam. The nose comprises toffee, buttery biscuits (the butter is just dripping from these biscuits, baby), and a touch of flowery honey. The taste holds notes of lemon zest, honey, flowers, orange peel, and some light sour malts. It's kinda like a citrus blend was covered in honey. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and an oily feel. Overall, a pretty good braggot, not the best on Earth, but enjoyable nonetheless.

TMoney2591, Mar 14, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Bright, transparent pear color, thin head that disappears with a quickness.
Aroma: sharp, then sweet, and continuing so, big honey, but mixed with topical fruit, banana, pineapple, pear, tangy and treacly...probably just right for a braggot, but I'm no expert, just a stranger to these waters, and a curious traveller.
Taste? Syrupy, sleek, and slightly sickening...starts bad, then honey creeps in, thickly, fruit speaks up, apple and pear,...thin mouthfeel, light body, with a softly lingering fruity finish. Not unpleasant, but ...eh, I'm just not a mead/braggot fan, so I'll have to rate on the side of caution. Though it isn't my cuppa, it's a groovy thing for those in the mood...
my initial resistance was due, perhaps, to my infamiliarity with the style...wish I knew the ABV, for it feels on the strong side.
the other honey ale I had from this brewery was more in the atrocious column, and I'm glad this is more palatable.

feloniousmonk, Nov 08, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours with almost no head. Pale, pale, pale in color. Almost clear with a faint yellow tint. Looks like white grape juice. Smells sweet. Like apple juice. Sweet taste, like fruit juice. Soft and mellow. To me, this doesn't taste like beer. this is the first braggot I've tasted. I'm probably not the best judge of this style. While it doesn't taste like beer, this is an agreeable beverage. Oddly, I didn't taste much honey.

Bighuge, Mar 19, 2002
3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Color is a light pale goldish white, looks much like a white wine with a deeper body, mish mash white head thats very uneven and limpy in places, very odd top to this stuff and the lace sticks in small spotty blotches. Smell is so much like a white wine I swear it was with a whole lotta white grape notions with some appley undertones, sharp and semi-sparkley aroma. Taste is also much like white white but with a mellowed down tone, softer then a wine but nearly carbonated like one. Has a large amount of white grape tones, solid sweetness and very subdued sour with some appley backing thats a bit musty or old-like, faint fruity spices and honey subside in some of the finishing dryness that has an airy grape skin crispness. A wonderful little treat, not as much character as some braggots I've tried, but a definate must try if you'd like to get to know them.

Two samples at Autumn Brew Review poured from the bottle.

tavernjef, Sep 07, 2003
3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

My first braggot or mead...very light straw coler...looks like champagne or apple juice..very little head...smells cidery and sourish..smells spoiled with no honey evident..taste was sweet..like drinking apple juice...smooth and slick...no bitterness...mouthfeel was that of juice or wine...my first mead..worth a try...not more than one of these a year for me...tastes more like wine than beer...still, based on what I had read about this style, this one wasn't bad based on what it was supposed to be..

ZAP, Mar 18, 2002
2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

If only someone would make a dry sprarkling mead like a few buds have made. But - this poured a nice slight head that stayed and a bit of lace. Pleasant pale amber with a slight haze. Aroma is distinctly honey. Flavor is juicy pears with apple and green grapes,not so big in the honey. Way sweet though. Too sweet. In fact sweetness dominates. It's not bad, but I just wish someone would do a dry sparking mead. "nuff said.

drpimento, Jan 07, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

First off...this is a braggot...not an "ale brewed with honey" as the label states. Viking certainly has a creative marketing team (see the Swedish style Imperial Stout).

Anyway,
Pours very pale golden. Looks like white wine..
Smell is also of white wine...boat load of grape, some apple too.

Grape and apple up front in the taste dept. Also getting a good bit of pear. Vanilla and faint other spices here as well.
Faint honey too...not as much as expected.

White wine like body...with just the slightest touch of carbonation.
This is my first braggot...it is somewhat hard to rank next to beer.
But I do find this enjoyable....and will seek it again for a change of pace.

cokes, May 29, 2002
3.68/5  rDev 0%

This brew pours a clear golden color with no head. The aroma is of alcohol, honey and malt. The taste is thankfully less alcoholic than the aroma. Honey and malt. The mouthfeel is full bodied with low carbonation. Overall, this is alright, but I have had tastier meads.

KarlHungus, Mar 01, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to FooFaa for sharing this bomber on 4/15/10.

A - Poured a transparent and delicate light golden body with virtually no head at all. What little lacing was produced simply slid back down the sides of the glass.

S - Pleasant waft of green apple, grape skins, honey and alcohol, which reminds me a bit of a sweet white table wine.

T - Initial flavor is akin to a sweet white wine and suggests fruity grape notes with a slight tart apple quality. However, the honey character really dominates the flavor overall and keeps the alcohol somewhat restrained throughout.

M - Medium bodied with a fairly slick, syrupy texture. Finishes quite sweet with a hint of alcohol warmth.

D - I don't seem to recall having this style before. Overall, this was a very wine-like brew with a prevalent sweet fruit and honey character. Tasty indeed, but only in small doses. I couldn't imaging getting through entire bomber on my own.

ffejherb, May 04, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

15th Anniversary 22oz bottle.

Pours a clear yellow color with no head. Just a ring of bubbles that cling to the glass. A little carbonation rises up from the bottom. Just a little more activity than a mead or white wine. The honey is the first and most dominant aroma. Some forest aromas that may have been imparted by the type of honey used. Has some vinous qualities as well. I did not find the flavor overly sweet as other reviewers have noted. Maybe a different blend was used in this edition. More like mead than beer in flavor. The flavor of honey dominates throughout. The 10% ABV is completely masked which is surprisingly considering the one dimensional flavor and light body. The body is very similar to wine. There is just a little carbonation that tickles the tongue that informs me that I am not drinking wine. A nice beer to sip on as I did not find it too sweet and no hint of alcohol. I just think there probably are better Braggots out there, or should be out there. I think it is a style that could be popular and crossover beverage for wine drinkers.

morimech, Nov 26, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

Lightly greenish yellow clear appearance with some upwelling bubbles. No real head generation, but a couple of plimsoul line rings mark the sips. Astringent cidery aroma, some sense of tanin-like pops. Pretty much what you smell is what you get, plenty of white grape, maybe a touch of a crab apple jelly sweetness and an overall wine-like impression. Slightly dryish finish, not a lot of honey-influence as I was expecting. Not my style to be sure, though some of the thicker mead-like beers like Dogfish Head Midas Touch are sometimes more up my alley.

ADR, Aug 04, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours out a bright clear gold color, very effervescent, the head fades very quickly into nothing. Smell is very, very sweet, honeyed apples, and other fruit. Taste is also very sweet, deep with honey and other fruity flavors, a nice malty background, this is much better then their mead. Nice apple essence in this, also. Pretty good, I like it much better than the mjod.

TastyTaste, Jul 21, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

22 oz 15th Anniversary bomber.

Pours a clear effervescent champagne-like gold. It is crystal clear, i wonder if the only malt here was honey. The head is non existent , it looks super fizzy.

It smells like straight up mead. Tons of honey, oxidized apple, sharp alcohol, and some light vinegar.

It tastes very meady too. It has a huge honey and apple prescence, a bit of apple juice tang, alcohol, and tons of sugar. Im not getting any hops here.

The mouthfeel is slightly cloying, really carbonated, and ultra ultra dry.

This beer is over the top, it is a sipper, I dk how anyone could possibly finish a whole bomber of this alone, whew heavy duty.

crossovert, May 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

pours out pale straw yellow colour. no head, little carbonation and no lace. looks like a glass of chardonnay. big time apple juice aroma. some musty pear, too. tastes mostly of the tart apples and other white fruits such and pears and peaches. i pick up no honey flavours anywhere. this is actually kind of good. for everyone's information, this is my first braggot or mead...and if they are as pleasing as this, i might have to start sampling more. hard to believe this is a beer. anyway...finishes sweet and a bit musty. extremely drinkable and refreshing. oh yeah, and the women of the house LOVED it...so thanks to her for bringing this back from wisconsin.

budgood1, Dec 18, 2003
3.4/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into a couple of tall pilsner flute glasses (I split this with my wife). This was our first braggot.

A= This braggot poured a very bright and clear yellow-gold color with a thin 1/4" white head that disappeared instantly. No lacing to speak of but a constant, small carbnonation release kept things visually interesting.

S= This smelled like a middle of the road (not too sweet, not too dry) reisling wine and dominant notes of honey and melon. Not really any detectable malt presence at all.

T= Much the same as the smell, with a big white wine character. The most prominent flavors were melon, peach, green apple, and pear. The honey flavor sort of danced around all of those other notes and though sweet, was not cloying at all. Finish was fairly dry.

MF= Thin bodied and though carbonated, it was sparingly carbonated giving it a watery feel.

D= I have no base for comparison as this was my first braggot, but I would call this one decent and fairly drinkable. Definitely a white wine drinkers beer.

spointon, Jun 26, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Leaning toward the mead end of the Braggot spectrum, and the sweet end of meads at that. I love it. Like a cross between a Sauvignon Blanc and a buttery Chardonnay, this braggot delivers more than just honey. Ever so apparent in its aromas and flavours are citrus notes, pear, butter, peach, and oak. This is a wine drinker’s beer to be sure. Very drinkable once you get past the bizarre cat piss like after taste of the first sip. After that it’s smooth sailing. Boatloads of honey, sweet, tasty, and delicious. This would make a fine desert wine or would be welcomed by enthusiasts of sweet Rieslings, Liebfraumilsch, gewürztraminers, and other sweet white wines. Simply delectable and complex enough to be interesting.

DaPeculierDane, Nov 28, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Thanks to Santa justn for sending this my way. Poured into some challises it produced a extremely short lived white head that disappeared to nothing. The brew was a clear golden yellow with small bubbles of carbonation coming up quite regularly. It reminded me a little of a sparkling cider.

The aromas were quite nice I got some sweet fruits (apples, pears) and honey. The flavor was nice and fruity as well with a splash of honey sweetness. it was light and bubbly on the tongue it really was refreshing to drink.

I split the bomber but I could have easily finished it myself. I would have one of these in the fridge at all time if the brewery was closer

joepais, Jan 17, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Served in a snifter

This beer pours a clear golden color. There is no head to be found on this beer in the slightest. Coarse bubble are the only thing this beer has going for it. The aromatics are rather nice. They smell of honey, lemon and white grapes. Almost a chamomile aroma overall. The flavor pretty much follows suit with the aroma. The flavor is essentially a honey champagne. I'm not complaining it's still a very tasty brew. The mouthfeel is a touch syrupy, but I would assume that to be acceptable for the style. This is a rather enjoyable beer. A bit of honey can go a long way in flavoring.

Vdubb86, Mar 13, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

22 oz bomber.

Pours out a frightfully pale and crystaline golden yellow and sits a gleaming peach-tinted pale gold in the glass with virtually no head to speak of. Some minor lacings here and there, but slide back down into the glass.

Aroma is musty with big soppy fruit notes offering hints of pineapple, pears, canned peaches, starfuit and cantelope rinds. Moderate alcoholic presence pushes from beneath. Dusty clouds of hay-strewn barny floors offer a little character.

Tastes nice and fruity up front dishing out big loads of cantelope, apples, oranges, pears, peaches, pineapple, mango...it just keeps dumping them out. All around sweetness is entirely fruity, but not overly so. Well controlled, and paired with a nice, easy dryness on the finish. Some percieved bitterness, but I can't really say there is any to speak of.

Medium-light body, softly carbonated. Very refreshing. I can't find many things about this beer that I don't like. It's charming, tasty and more importantly fantastically easy to drink. In it's style (sparkling braggot), it's definately semi-sweet, or medium and absolutely brilliant.

So, screw Reislings and dessert wines, grab one of these bad boys and enjoy it with light seafood, chowder, some aged cheddar or have it with or as dessert. I have to give thumbs up to Viking for this marvelous braggot.

Skidz, Feb 27, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a 22oz bomber at Riley's here in Madison. My first braggot, not saying it's my last, but this style doesn't seem to fit my palate very well.

Pours a crystal clear light golden/amber in color with absolutely no head. Smells of apple peel, grape skins and caramel. Tastes like a funky sparkling apple cider with white grape juice and some cloying tropical fruit syrup. No hop presence to be found. Mouthfeel is light and dry. I could drink a small glass of this stuff alright, but don't think I'll be able to finish the whole bomber. Interesting I suppose, but this doesn't resemble beer at all, more like a cross between Woodchuck cider and lame duck. Maybe another time.

Golden2wenty1, Oct 03, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Whew! This braggot is cloyingly sweet. Since this is my first Braggot, I can't review to style, but, wow, I'm not sure I'll be having another.
At first, I just couldn't get past the sweetness, it tastes like a very sweet mead with maybe a pinch of malta thrown in. However, as I drank it the warmth started to spread through me. This beverage has some potency to it! As I continued to drink it and it warmed up, the flavour improved and I started to feel like an ancient viking. Imagining the small alcove in the library where I was secretly drinking this beer to be a mead hall, I was pleased with the taste and just felt good. Hey, my Bundeswehrjacke kinda looks like it's lined with dead animal fur . . . .
Definately worth a try, but methinks braggots aren't for me.

shbobdb, Nov 27, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +6%

A 22 ounce bottle directly from the brewery with a nice golden yellow foil over the top and a stick commemorating the breweries 15th anniversary.

A - A relatively strong pours draws up a clear, translucent yellow body. Little to head whatsoever after the initial pour and a minute or two later, the beer is very hard to tell apart from a glass of apple juice. Trace amounts of carbonation are rising up, but aside from that, I would have a hard time telling the difference.

S - Things start to liven up here. Lots of apples, pears and other sweet smelling fruit notes hit your nose right away. A deep whiff brings about a slightly boozy with some faint amounts of malts present. I am not getting much honey but there is plenty sweet wine like smells that are terrific.

T - The taste is much like the smell in regards to the strong fruity notes up front. Initially there was a strong boozy portion of this beer after the fruity notes left but that has tempered down as this beer has warmed. Much like the Mjod, this beer has lots of fruit notes that make the beer.

M - Light bodied with a poor amount of carbonation. The lack of carbonation is noticeable and it needs to be improved in this beer and quite a few of the other Viking beers I have tried. As the beer enters your mouth there is a nice blast of pears, apples and grapes, but there is nothing beyond that and my tongue is left disappointed. This beer does improve as it warms, but the lack of carbonation just leaves the beer trailing off the minute the fruit notes fade. Slightly boozy, but nothing awful considering the amount of alcohol. It would be nice to see an improve malts profile in this beer.

D - This beer is easy to drink considering the amount of alcohol. While the lack of carbonation is somewhat problematic, the fruit notes in this beer are very good and if Viking can fix the carbonation issues they seem to have with many of their beers, this would be a great beer. As it stands now, this is a decent session beer.

Wisconsin, Feb 15, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

Got this 22 from a friend. It was brewed in 2004 so it’s been sitting a while. When poured it had a Golden color with very little head which dissipated really fast. It had a sweet smell. I also could smell the alcohol. I could taste the honey right away, and thankfully the alcohol was pretty masked by it. Even with the carbonation this tasted quite a bit like a white wine. I would love to try a version of this mead with no carbonation.

On a separate note make sure when reviewing Viking products that they have been kept cool. They are not pasteurized and I know some places have them sitting out on the shelf.

CFbeermaker, Apr 09, 2007