Rauch - Valkyrie Brewing

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-29-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.15/5  rDev +13.3%

22 ounce bomber into a pint glass

This one has been tucked away in my refrigerator for over a year now. I should also note this is my first review and taste of a rauchbier.

A - Pours a quarter inch head that fades a lace within five minutes. The beer is a reddish, brown color that is quite hazy. In the instance of my beer, there are flakes of malts and grains floating around, but that is probably because it has been sitting for so long.

S - Smokey malts and grains first hit my nose. A stronger whiff brings about sweet, spiced apples comparable to hot apple cider with a stick of cinnamon.

T - Smoked malts and grains are present along with a bit of a wood taste. There is also a decent blend of apples and cinnamon in this beer. Light on carbonation and a medium body.

M - Smokey, wood taste along with the malts and grains up front. Weak amount of carbonation transitions okay, not great to an cinnamon spiced apple finish.

D - This is an interesting style of brew, something that I would like to try more of, but I feel I could only have a few of these in a sitting.

Overall I think the beer lacked the necessary carbonation and fullness of the cinnamon spiced apple to make this a good beer. If those two elements were improved I think this could be a much better beer.

1.83/5  rDev -34.2%

Tasted on Nov 7, 2007. A pretty clear yellow gold with a faint head. Aroma and flavor was not good. Seemed sour and burnt plastic. Body was thin and it seemed as though they put a couple drops of liquid smoke in it and called it a day. Time to have a Big Swede.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last