Leavenworth Whistling Pig Wheat Ale - Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub

Leavenworth Whistling Pig Wheat AleLeavenworth Whistling Pig Wheat Ale

Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub visit their website
Washington, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: PorterPounder on 12-23-2003)
turnerr79

3.38/5  rDev +5.6%

12 oz bottles, WA State.

Light wheat nose, definitely taking a stole down the yellow wheat road. First sip was surprisingly sweet and citrusy. Mild wheat tone rolled in the flavor. Not quite as yeasty as I might want in a hef.

Crisp and easy to drink, but overall falls a bit flat.

11-14-2010 05:02:52 | More by turnerr79
Halcyondays

3.45/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a very cloudy burnt orange with solid white head, nice lace.

S: Very bready, notes of winter spice - cinnamon/nutmeg which I liked, no esters per the style.

T: Very wheaty, some dark malt flavours in there. Lemony hops, various citrus zest. This is not a hefe. I really wish American breweries would stop labeling beers hefes that clear aren't. For an APWA a good flavour, in that style a 4, but as a hefe I can only give it a 3.

M: Light-bodied and crisp, good biting carbonation, very solid.

D: After picking up the very tasty (and true to style) Leavenworth Alt, I was let down a bit by this offering. When I expect a hefe, I want a hefe. Take this as an APWA and you won't be disappointed, it's one of the better ones of that generic style that I've had.

07-24-2010 23:03:20 | More by Halcyondays
philbertk

2.42/5  rDev -24.4%

Leavenworth Biers--Fish Brewing Company--Whistling Pig Hefeweizen--Alpine-Style Wheat Ale--2009 12 oz. Bottle. 5.40% ABV. 26 IBU's. (3.25 / 5.0) NW Hefeweizen. Flat white lace line head. Light tight dark sediment. Clear bright pretty gold color hazes ugly orange brown. Mild wheat hop hint front. Thin mild sweet light wheat fruit ester body. Refreshing mild clean thin bland weak wheat end. 4%ABV? Sampled 7/20/2010. 6-Pack $8.99.

07-21-2010 05:42:28 | More by philbertk
JohnGalt1

Idaho

2.85/5  rDev -10.9%

12oz bottle picked up this evening at Brewforia... Call me Grumpy.. but Damn... I'm getting a tad bit pissed off... I wanted a Hefe.. and just like the Dunkelweizen.... I am very disappointed.

Pours very clear deep golden... descent head with little retention and only descent lacing... why is this not cloudy? Throw me a bone.

Nose is pale malts.. toasted malts.. light floral hops.. ZERO phenols and esters.. no banana.. no clove.. no bubblegum.. this is a pile of malts fermented with a clean American yeast.. nothing close to Germany...

Do not call this a Hefe.. fucking nonsense. Steven calls it "crap in a bottle", I won't go that far, but seriously... this needs some sort of influence from Europe.

2.5/2.5/2.5/3/4

07-02-2010 09:42:32 | More by JohnGalt1
unHipHopHead

3.35/5  rDev +4.7%

1st off the label shows a mountain biker which I don't understand how that relates to a whistling pig... 6 pack bottles poured into a tulip

A: Pours a cloudy amber-orange with minimal head, not much lacing and a soft island of foam in the middle.

S: wheat, wheat and more wheat. a little bit of citrus.

T: lots of wheat up front, some lemon rind in the middle followed by sour. almost like the taste of the very end of a lemon.

M: a little heavy and oily. not expecting that from a hef.

D: fairly drinkable, could be a good average daily brew but not really if you are craving a hef. a good mix between a hef and a lager.

Notes: I expected a much lighter and more refreshing drink, this was an amber-orange brew that was pretty heavy feeling.

05-11-2010 08:22:10 | More by unHipHopHead
froghop

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%

pours a very cloudy orange with lots of sediment, a small off-white head that dissipates rapidly, and good lacing.

smell is of wheat, apricot, and a touch of citrus.

taste is a somewhat watery, wheat, a nice citrus bite of lemon, and a touch of spice, ends a little tangy.

05-04-2010 04:02:58 | More by froghop
barleywinefiend

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a lightly clouded deep yellow with a small white head.Nose is clove, wheat and citrus. taste is wheat, cits, like emon, clove and more booze than I expected from such a low ABV beer. Mouthfeel is heavier, maltier, and pretty deep. Pretty good overall and worth shot.

03-14-2010 03:55:10 | More by barleywinefiend
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.65/5  rDev -17.2%

Hardly hazy pumpkin orange with a darker cloud of yeastiness oozing down through the beer as all 12 oz were added with one smooth pour. The beige colored crown is on the small side, but looks pretty good all the same. Decent lace too.

The aroma confirms what the appearance suggested. Namely, that there's a considerable amount of toasted malt present, which is unusual in a beer of this style. WP smells like an amber ale because the banana and clove esters that are typically found in a hefeweizen are nowhere to be found.

I'm not sure what Whistling Pig is (the brewery calls it an 'Alpine-Style Wheat Ale'), but it isn't a hefeweizen. No way, no how. No brewer in his right mind would use this much mid-range malt (probably Munich) and would use such a bland yeast strain.

Specifics include well-toasted bread, orange peel, tea leaves, a sandalwood-like spiciness and a small handful of roasted peanuts. Like I said... amber ale. Since it's a decent amber ale, the flavor score won't fall too far. Sweet, bitter and tangy are roughly equivalent.

A few notes. My label reads Whistling Pig Hefeweizen and the ABV is listed as 5.4%. It looks like all but one review is from the tap, so maybe Fish changed things a little when they bottled. The mouthfeel isn't the least bit porky and is lacklusterly bubbled.

Whistling pigs are actually marmots that live in the vicinity of the Fish Brewing Company. They're most plentiful in a place called Whistling Pig Meadow. I thought those few facts were much more interesting than the beer.

11-27-2009 13:28:11 | More by BuckeyeNation
Floydster

3.28/5  rDev +2.5%

Sampled at Bailey's Taproom on 5/28/09, reviewed from notes, color is a cloudy yellow with some mild orange tint, ½ inch creamy white head, not much retention or lacing, aroma had wheat, lemons, mild cloves, grains, cereal, sweet malt, and bread, this stuff starts off with toasted bread, even more chewiness in the middle with other malts and grains, finishes with a big wheat flavor that fades a bit into light citrus, overall flavor is weak and feels like I am chewing on something rather than drinking a beer at times, even though it is light overall, too much chewy texture in the mouthfeel, thin to medium bodied, highly carbonated, almost a bit watered down, could drink a lot of this stuff but not much going on, almost too light, flavor stays the same and is pretty boring to begin with, would not drink again, might be worth trying

07-03-2009 19:21:16 | More by Floydster
RJLarse

3.35/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at the Elk Public House, served in a pint glass, lemon offered and declined.

Pours a cloudy bright orange/gold color with frothy white head. Moderate lacing from sticky foam.

Smell is a faint bread aroma. Not remarkable.

Taste is a weak biscuit flavor with a dry mildly bitter citrus, lemon and orange, finish.

Mouthfeel is wet and clean. A good thirst quencher

Good drinkability on this one. It's no hefe, but it is a refreshing American wheat ale. I'd have it again, especially on a hot day.

07-19-2008 18:12:27 | More by RJLarse
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -2.2%

This is a hoppy Hefe that really lacks the banana and cloves side and so borders more on the American Wheat style. I found it very drinkable but a little simple to maintain any longterm interest. There are better beers on tap at the Fishbowl. They need to kick this one up a notch.

07-19-2008 03:44:59 | More by canucklehead
RedDiamond

Oregon

Though the flat, doughy aroma immediately informs me this is not a Bavarian-style hefeweizen (my preference, or at the very least, my assumption upon hearing the German name), I am quickly sold on the smooth flowing body that folds across the palate like flannel. And the adorning lace is regal.

Have I bitched yet today about how I wish breweries would stop calling American wheat beers hefeweizens? I suppose I have. That said, this Whistling Pig is a very agreeable ale. It is densely translucent in a shade of blonde honey and comes served in a svelte weizen glass with the obligatory wedge of lemon. The name references the marmots common to the Cascade Mountains surrounding Leavenworth.

If you can taste nutrition (and certainly you can), it's likely to be noted in a clouded wheat beer whose suspended yeasts add protein and B-vitamins, and whose wheat adjunct adds a dry zest. And while I can't speculate as to what nutrient value dry zest may have, I'm willing to take my chances with the likes of this liquid bread. Whistling Pig has a relatively subdued flavor, but is a clean and drinkable beer tonic with good body and refreshment value. Recommended.

02-01-2008 03:52:48 | More by RedDiamond
Dubbercody

3.03/5  rDev -5.3%

On tap at Echo in Portland Oregon.Served with an orange wedge I put on a plate.

Light cloudy straw color with a medium white head. Smells sweet, with wheat and citrus flavor. Very easy to drink and is mild and mighty tasty.

Tasty brew that I was pleased to see on tap here in PDX.

03-12-2007 22:55:05 | More by Dubbercody
bodybyadam

2.4/5  rDev -25%

I had smpled this ale at the Hops on Equinox 06 in a 6oz pilsner sampler. This may not have given it justice, however this is what I got.

A: Poured a murky light-citrus color.

S: Almost a citrus aroma lingering.

T: Initial taste was bland and reminded me of watered-down orange juice.

M: this tap could've been near the end.

D: I plan to drive up there and try there others during Octoberfest.

Elbows Up,
Adam

07-02-2006 06:19:48 | More by bodybyadam
RoyalT

2.9/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance – Cloudy orange in color with good carbonation. I had this on-tap and couldn’t gauge the head because the glass was filled to the top (a sin in Germany). The carbonation was classic for the style but the color was a little off.

Smell – The aroma was more of a sweet malt than the traditional wheat or yeast. The orange scent dominated and seemed to have a little spicing to it.

Taste – I ordered this without a lemon but got one in the glass anyway. I like lemon in my hefe weizen but not when I’m trying to review the bier’s flavor.

The yeast flavor did (thankfully) come out a little more at the taste. The orange flavor though stuck out like a sore thumb.

Mouthfeel – This was well-carbonated and smooth, but lacked the traditional fluffiness of a good hefeweizen.

Drinkability – I can’t say that I’d order this one again, although I’d be interested in trying a bottled version to rule out operator error with the keg.

12-23-2003 16:35:07 | More by RoyalT
Leavenworth Whistling Pig Wheat Ale from Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub