Mud Shark Porter - Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub

No picture uploaded.

Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub visit their website
Washington, United States

American Porter |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

I've had this on-tap numerous times at the Viking in Spokane. I've also drank this at the Fishbowl on the only occasion (so far) that I've been there. While it's probably been given it's name due to the overall nautical theme of Fish Brewing Company, I can't help but think of the legendarily infamous Led Zeppelin mudshark incident (if you know what I'm talking about you should be ashamed of yourself;).

This is a deep, dark brown with a good sized tan head. The head takes a couple of minutes to drop. Moderate amount of lace left behind, along with a very modest foan cap sitting atop the beer.

The smell is of roasted malt and coffee, with a nice dark chocolate cloak thrown around it. Bitter, but slightly sweet as well.

The taste of this is nicely balanced between the bitter, roasted apsects of this and a mild sweetness that keeps the bitterness from being too dominant. I think this edges Black Butte in the repeatably drinkable department.

I think I'd prefer this to be a little thicker in the mouthfeel department. It's a little bit too fizzy for a porter. This is pretty much my only gripe about this beer (besides the fact that it's not bottled anymore).

Why this is no longer bottled, I have no idea. I asked the barmaid on duty at the Fishbowl, she replied, "Yeah we don't like to bottle that one," and left for the kitchen. I was never given an opportunity to ask why that was the case. This makes an excellent session porter. I prefer it to the usual Pacific Northwest porter standby, Deschutes Black Butte (though I like it as well). If only I could find it more often on the east side of Washington, I'd be a happy man.

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

I had an imperial pint served to me at the Fishbowl. It was too firkin cold but I was able to make the most of the circumstance. Mudshark starts with a compact head that holds itself well enough to retain elevation contours -- an elegant distinction. The individual bubbles are actually too small to see with the naked eye. The net result is heavy concentric lace rings that descend along the glass, making for a visually pleasing experience.

Mudshark is opaque black with a faint aroma only perceptible upon agitation. Within this faint aroma lies a broad greenness reminiscent of an active conservatory. The taste harkens to chicory and also somehow to walnut. The mouthfeel also suggests a glint of walnut, as it is a bit dusty to the tongue.

This is not a bad porter but neither is it an especially charismatic brew, certainly not by the standards Fish Tale has set with its other products. The body is thin and the flavor stunted. I’m a big fan of Fish Tale and I’ve lived in Olympia for years. But I’d like to see Fish revisit their recipe for this one.

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance – Dark with a slight reddish hue and a pure white head that looked really cool.

Smell – The light chocolate and dark yeast aroma was very pleasing to the nose. I could also pick up a little coffee.

Taste – The scents from the nose found their way into the taste. The roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate were pretty evenly matched, with the coca powder winning out in the end There was also a slight sour tang though that threw things off a bit.

Mouthfeel – This was the Porter’s weak point, IMO. The light carbonation was cheap and fizzy, and the body was so thin I wouldn’t even call it medium.

Drinkability – This went down OK, but the sub-par mouthfeel and that sour tang ruined the effort.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Black color, medium tan foamy head. Aroma is chocolate and coffee and a touch sweet. A medium bodied porter. Deeply roasted malts, nicely hopped. Nice mellow roasted malt flavor, very smooth. Finish is smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, toasted malts.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

This porter has a ncie thick body and good head to go along with its nice dark brown color. Chocolate and some roasted character to the flavor with a nice, non-harsh bittering. A must try if you are on the west coast.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »