Fish Tale India Pale Ale - Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub

good

good

Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub visit their website
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 11-20-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fish Tale India Pale Ale Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

Naamandroid, Jan 08, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -39.1%

Deep gold to light copper. Small white head.

Weak (for an IPA) grapefruit, some blackcurrant, caramel underneath it all.

Orange, currants, a little bit of malt. IPA bitterness, but not hop flavor or aroma, might be an older bottle. No date that I can see, though, so it's gonna cost it points. A touch of alcohol in the back.

Standard IPA mouthfeel.

It's like SNPA with more bitterness and alcohol. I'd probably like it a lot more with more hoppiness.

MrOH, May 03, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -39.1%

$2.50 single from Abe's.

Hazy dark orange body, topped by one finger-plus of level off-white foam.

Almost no aroma whatsoever. A faint echo of caramel and biscuit.

Sweet caramel start. Nondescript fruit middle. Minor bitterness at the swallow and through the finish.

Ok mouthfeel.

A disappointing lackluster IPA from the west coast. Pass unless the organic status is your interest.

RonfromJersey, Jun 27, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

stefanberg, Jun 29, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

Clear amber with small head that fades to thin ring rather quickly.

Smells slightly sweet and caramalty with some astringent hoppiness.

Some sweet caramel and slightly roasty malt flavors with fruity bitterness that leaves an aspirin-like aftertaste.

Pretty astringent and thin tasting overall, wouldn't buy again.

BeerZack, Mar 23, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -34%

Very Cool Label....certified organic. The head comes on strong but leaves in a hurry. The aroma has a pretty nice hop smell but is followed by a strong manure type aroma. The taste is not that much better. Bitter but not in a good way. Very one sided and uneventful. Ok shot at an IPA, but not very alluring!

ALESwhatCURESya, Aug 25, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -29.7%

Reviewed 5/29/2006 (Bottle - Tall hefe glass):

Pours an amber brown-yellow @ bottom in colored body, cloudy, with a smallish white head. Has a hoppy aroma, but light aroma. A hoppy taste, malty, dry bitter slightly acidic aftertaste, not much flavor. Light tasting.

jujubeast6000, Jan 15, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

neckbeered, May 12, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

Jsmercer, Aug 16, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -28.3%

A: deep honey gold; some head but dissipates quickly
S: some buiscuit but little hops; plain, even stale, with little character in any way
T: where's the taste? Some bitterness on the finish but I'm not getting much focus. Like a casserole tossed together rather than a dish with a few fine fresh ingredients.
M: good mouthfeel
O: forgettable. A plain IPA that isn't offensive but certainly not memorable.

EspressoGuy, Mar 17, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -24.9%

On tap at Capone's, 8/4.

A-Pours a clear golden amber with a very thin white head.

S-Sweet malt, light hops. Nothing special.

T-Malty with some earthy bitterness. The finish has a lipstick character that is rather unpleasant.

M-Light to medium bodied, undercarbonated.

O-I was not really a fan of this one.

HV

sholland119, Aug 25, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

I had this back in college and didn't think much of it. Someone left some in my fridge, so now's my chance to review it.

The body is somewhat hazy and a deep straw in color, but lacks any head. The fizzing at the immediate pouring seemed a bad omen.

The aroma is predominantly of malt and maybe a little of metal silo. Its quite and off-putting aroma for an IPA.

The taste is rather dull - heavy on the rough hewn malt flavor, hops are really kind of an afterthought, flavor-wise. Its more of a british hop profile, so nothing really stands out. I think that maybe there were more hops on the label an in the beer.

The mouth is left drier that it ought to, and I recognize the sensation from early homebrews. I'd be inclined to say it was a bad bottle, but its exactly as I remember it. Needs more hops. Much more.

freed, Oct 03, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -23.5%

First time trying this varietal Fish brew and first certified organic brew I've had as well. Only a few, simple ingredients in beer, could only be made better being organic right? Dissapointingly, no. Appearance is nice - dark-golden/light amber color, lively off-white, 2-finger head which receeds to a silky skim leaving light lace on the glass.

Smell is light on the hops (even for a Pale Ale in my opinion), malty, biscuit-like notes as well, with only the slightly suggestion of citrus or pine.

Taste is dissapointing. Perhaps it's because of the refined punch of the Connaught Ranger IPA (Far West Ireland Brewing) I have on-tap at home, but the Fish was flat, lifeless and musty (bread mold or wet cardboard comes to mind). Really, such a strange and unexpected taste, that it feels strange to type it. No rich hop oils to coat the mouth, though it is smooth. No sweet/bitter balance, no vanilla, caramel, or pineapple to be found, just a light Pale Ale without much character.

"Spawned-on" date of bottle is January '05 like charlatan's, so perhaps this was just from a sub-par batch. With the wet-carboard element it could be an oxidized or light-stuck beer, but I'm not sure the simple use of organic ingredients is the cause for such lack of flavour. I will not look for it again.

GimmeAles, Apr 10, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

A somewhat plain and basic beer lacking hops in what we'd expect of an IPA. Slightly reminds me of the 'tea' you make during a brew then carbonated. Floral on the front decent mouth feel with an overwhelming barley that lasts all the way through.

Perhaps weak or light hops with a flavor that lingers a little longer than desired.

A very drinkable beer that would be great on the river or in the summer, but not one I'd buy off the tap or out of the rack unless I was limited on options or wanted to drink in the sun. Someone could pound this in seconds and not even realize it.

BabaYagaRIS, Sep 01, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

TTripp725, Jul 13, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

Certified Organic IPA. It's good to know that no hops were harmed in the making of this beer. Pours a cloudy dark gold, with sunny yellow highlights able to shine thru. An intially thick foamy head shrinks down into glass coating lace. Just a little citrusy hop scent tucked amongst the malty sweetness of the nose. Nothing too special in the taste department. The hops are suitably bitter, but there is a unpleasant metallic harshness as the bitterness fades. The malts that are present in the aroma never really make themselves known in the taste. There's too many better, easier to find options out there for me to drink this again.

germaniac, Nov 30, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -20.7%

Light copper in colour. Some mild grapefruit and light malt aromatic notes. The smell reminds me of Anchor Liberty Ale, only slightly less pungent. Watery body, with some caramel notes. There’s a citrus hop flavor in there too, but there is also a tannic "spent hops" flavor which is not so good. It lacks some bitterness too.

fisherman34, Oct 11, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -19.3%

A - Pours a hazy orange copper color with a thin white head (1/2") that leaves some lacing.

S - Piny and bready with some malt sweetness. Smells like an English IPA. Smells pretty good. Hops aroma takes a back seat on this one imo for an AIPA.

T - Hmm.... I once brewed an Irish Red which fermented too high and had a strong taste of fusel alcohol. That's the first thing I thought of when I took my first sip. The taste is not much like the smell. Almost medicinal in a way but it's covered by the sweet maltiness. Subdued hop flavor and more of an alcohol malt bite to it. I was expecting much better.

M - Slick with moderate carbonation.

D - I probably wouldn't buy this again. Although the born on month shows Jan and it's now March, it still tastes decent leaning towards bad. I've been drinking some hoppy IPA's so that may have tainted my palette so I won't score less because of it but I wasn't really impressed with this one.

Rezzin, Mar 23, 2006

color- golden honey

appearance- very little carbonation, little to no lace

mouthfeel- crisp on the palate that rolls on the tongue to the back of the mouth

taste- malty with bitter hops, not sweet

aroma- sweet toasted malt, no real hop notes coming through

notes- looks flat

overall impression- disappointing, reminds me how i wasn't impressed with their regular six-pack offerings

NorCalYeti, Sep 15, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a regular glass.

A: Pours a dark copper colored body. The head is a one finger tall off white color with average retention and excellent lacing.

S: Typical grapefruit aroma and a bit of sweet malt, but also a little grassiness. Not terribly unique, but quite well executed.

T: Very mild for an IPA, in fact it's too mild. There's a very small 'ping' of hops on the finish to remind you, yes, this is in IPA, but really, the hoppiness would be weak even for a regular pale ale. Decent malt profile and drinkability, though.

M: The finish is overly chalky and has a weird bitterness to it (not really from hops; I can't put my finger on it), but it features spot on carbonation and body fullness. Like the flavor, it neither offends nor impresses.

O: Though this beer is very, very average (apart from the great smell), I do have to give props for the organic aspect of this beer. It won't make me extra generous with the rating, but it's good to see breweries realizing how fragile this mortal coil is. Now that I'm done kissing our planet's ass, I can sum the quality of this beer in one word: ehhh...

ThisWangsChung, Feb 04, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours with honey colour and a head which doesn't stick around. Smells of grapefruit with a hint of yeast. The malt and some yeast flavour take away from the decent citrus hops, turning this into more of a pale ale than a northwest IPA. I am not impressed with this brew. It seems a little stale, yet the bottle indicates it is only two months old ("spawned" in January). Definitely not on a par with other Fish Tale ales I have sampled.

charlatan, Mar 22, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -17%

Pours a light amber, thin head. Aroma is citrus like and bright, hops scents as well, but sweeter than usual for an IPA. Taste is distinctive, spices (hard to identify, like cinnamon) are very up front, citrus, and hops profile is lower than a typical west coast IPA. Mouthfeel is very light, aftertaste is slightly offputting and lacks bitterness. Drinkability is fair.

appenzeller, Jul 16, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Bottled in January. Reviewed live.

A- One-finger white head. Large bubbles and very thin lacing. Extremely long retention. 10 minutes in and it is still strong. Honey color with particulate. Medium clarity.

S- Floral hops, some earthiness as well. Dank and wet smelling.

T- Bitter and surprisingly boozy. Metallic. Strange, sour and yeasty.

M- Heavier feel for the style. Meh.

O- This is a strangely dank IPA. I'm not really a fan of it.

Murrhey, Feb 17, 2013
2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Another surprise offering from Fish Tale found at the main location of Willow Park Liquors. Came in a 6 pack, the same amount of organic proclamations as the other two I've sampled so far. What surprises me most is this is a PNW IPA that doesn't contain cascade hops.

It pours out a slightly hazed orange-tinged golden hue, a thin splash of loose sticky head that leaves small traces of lacing. While at first I get a sharp whiff of grapefruit and tangerine rinds on the nose, the underlying earthy and musty leather smell that turned me off of their pale ale emanates from the depths and takes over. It also permeates the flavour, in fact it overwhelms it, relieved shortly only on the thankful hop finish, only to boomerang back for an encore on the aftertaste. I do enjoy the hop presence this beer has to offer, but the balance that the malt tries to maintain totally throws me off, far too earthy for my tastes in relation to this style. The mouthfeel is mildly creamy, but takes a watery turn on the finish. When the hops wear off I am still left with the taste in my mouth that makes me think I've been chewing on old leather, which is not very appealing. It's not a bad IPA, and I still find it drinkable above that one flaw (or personal bias), but it's not something that I'd reach for as a session ale, or even really crave more than one in a sitting. Their pale ale styles haven't really impressed me thus far, but I'd still go back for more of their Amber ale.

IronDjinn, Jun 27, 2005