Fish Tale India Pale Ale - Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub

good

good

Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub visit their website
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 11-20-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fish Tale India Pale Ale Alström Bros
bjohnson

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a golden copper color with a half finger off white head that doesn't leave any lace.

S: Aromas of strong piney hops and less so citric fruit with an undertone of malt.

T: Not at all the taste I was expecting. It kind of fizzled on the tip of my tongue for awhile. Has a nice smooth unassuming hop taste that blends well with a bready malt to leave a nice bitter taste with an overall feeling that you just ate a grapefruit. Maybe because its organic, I dunno. After about ten seconds an almost candylike taste hit my tastebuds at the back of my mouth.

M & D: Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, although I was hoping for more of a piney hop blast. Carbonation at first is fizzy, but dwindles a few seconds after you swallow a gulp. Definately a smooth tasting ipa, but I'm still confused a bit by this one. Also a bit dry. I can't seem to place everything thats going on with it--again, maybe because its organic...
I would like to try this on-tap.

03-15-2006 02:13:13 | More by bjohnson
carln26

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

This is one of those beers that is just soooo much better on tap, than from the bottle. I was at the Fishbowl Thursday night and had this fresh. It was mind blowing. Wonderful Centennial hop aroma and flavor. The bottled version is just not as good.

It pours a light copper with a fluffy tan colored head. The beer shows wonderful carbonation with loads of champagne bubbles streaming to the head. The aroma is still nice. Grassy, floral hops with a light touch of citrus. The taste has a pronounced bitterness up front with lots of citrus, and just a touch of the grassy character I found on the tap version. The malt sweetness is almost undetectable. Finish is all bright citrus hops. The mouth feel is slick, slightly acidic. This is a very drinkable beer. Overall, nit bad. I just wish I could have it again on tap.

03-05-2006 21:05:52 | More by carln26
beveragecaptain

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

12 ounce bottle. Fish Tale IPA pours out a slightly hazy amber copper color with a small head and nice lacing. The aroma is citrus hops and biscuity malt. Occasional whiffs of alcohol in the nose. The flavor is not as hoppy as it smells. Pretty malty for an ipa. The finish is bitter and earthy. Not much ale fruitiness. Medium to full mouthfeel. Good drinkability. This is a pretty decent IPA. It's the best of the Fish Tale regular lineup that I've tried so far.

02-13-2006 01:21:02 | More by beveragecaptain
rebel1771

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a pale copper color with a huge head. I've noticed that most of the brews from Fish Tale have huge heads, interesting. The nose of this IPA is Piney and hoppy. This brew has great flavor consisting mainly of hops (duh) with stong citrus and pine flavors. An all around good brew, well worth a second round.

12-06-2005 03:02:58 | More by rebel1771
germaniac

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Certified Organic IPA. It's good to know that no hops were harmed in the making of this beer. Pours a cloudy dark gold, with sunny yellow highlights able to shine thru. An intially thick foamy head shrinks down into glass coating lace. Just a little citrusy hop scent tucked amongst the malty sweetness of the nose. Nothing too special in the taste department. The hops are suitably bitter, but there is a unpleasant metallic harshness as the bitterness fades. The malts that are present in the aroma never really make themselves known in the taste. There's too many better, easier to find options out there for me to drink this again.

11-30-2005 02:58:39 | More by germaniac
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -7.1%

330 ml bottle bought at the MLCC in osborne village..

nice copper colouring, an initial rush of carbonation, but looks a bit flat quite quickly. The head is wonderfully frothy, but subsides quickly. Nice looking lace though...

The initial smell is the wonderful West Coast IPA smell I've been craving more and more, and now that some are appearing on the shelves in MB, I'm becoming more appeased. Hoppy and Citrusy, just how I like it, a nice bite to it....

Wow, this is a bitter IPA.... I expect bitterness, of course, but alcohol and grapefruit bitterness overpower the floral sweetness I've enjoyed in other IPA's. There's a slight metallic taste in the background that's a bit off-putting... This one has kick to it, but isn't as fairly balanced as I'd like.

Mouthfeel has bite, good carbonation, not soft in any case. Sticks to the throat on the way down.... decent bitterness on the the aftertaste. I don'e think I'd make this a big session ale, It just dosen't have all the things I look for in an IPA.

11-21-2005 22:26:15 | More by trevorwideman
lostbearbrew

Georgia

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

This was the cask conditioned ale when we visited last week. So, being a cask-nut, thought I better start here.

Orange tones with some burnt sienna in the mix. Slightly cloudy haze in the beer, and decent head.

More like an English IPA in the nose - not much aroma at all overall, especially lacking in the hops. However, I did notice a little spicy hops buried into a rich malty profile.

Well, sort of wierd in the taste and mouthfeel. Taste had notes of respectable noble hops, and some malt, with an acidic or metallic taste underlying.

One was enough for now, and I'm taking home a bottle or two to try and see if the issues I had were cask related or if it is simply the brew - more soon.

One other note - wasn't bad when paired with the hummus app my wife and I shared.

Serving type: cask

10-24-2005 21:38:55 | More by lostbearbrew
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%

Light copper in colour. Some mild grapefruit and light malt aromatic notes. The smell reminds me of Anchor Liberty Ale, only slightly less pungent. Watery body, with some caramel notes. There’s a citrus hop flavor in there too, but there is also a tannic "spent hops" flavor which is not so good. It lacks some bitterness too.

10-11-2005 15:55:35 | More by fisherman34
BigBry

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Certified Organic India Pale Ale, with the "spawned on" date on the label edge. Brightly colored label, the background is a number of goldfish swimming through hop cones.
Got to taste a few samples from Fish Brewing at the last Beerfest, but now have a full 6 pack.
Color is a mix of orange and dark gold, with a slight haze. Big white bubbles make a large head then shrinks. Leaves a thin line of lacing. The first smell is typical IPA, grapefruit and citrus with some pine needles thrown in. Lots of hop flavour throughout, and finishes with a nice bitter hoppy end. Has an earthy smell and taste, acentuating the hops. Creamy, with a cleansing bite on the palate. I thought this is a very good example of an IPA, can't wait to try some of their other styles.

10-09-2005 23:58:46 | More by BigBry
GClarkage

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

10/03/05- Purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle, WA.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dating on label. Poured into my Red Tail Ale pint glass.

Appearance- Orange with a slight amber hue. A bit of cloudy character. Larger one inch head with medium lace.

Smell- Not really much hops to speak off. Some wandering pine scent, but mostly some darker malt. Has an odd grassy scent. Maybe even like a vegatable garden.

Taste- Even has some vegatable taste to it. Has a big metallic taste to it with just a bit of hops lingering. Even the malt isn't as big as the scent.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated.

Drinkability- Don't know what I would classify this beer as. Lacking hops to be an IPA and lacking the malt to be a Pale Ale. Odd beer with an odd flavor.

10-05-2005 16:42:56 | More by GClarkage
ZAP

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

One word....WEED!

Hop nose is very herbal..I swear I just smelled the end of a one-hitter..this has a huge weed aroma ...earthy...leafy....and also sweet...flavor is herbal (and doobie-ish as well) with a smack of piney hops on the finish...body is slightly lacking....I guess you could sum this one up as "interesting"...

If you like smoking dope you'll probably love the smell and taste of this beer...every single time I bring the glass to my lip I swear there is an end of a doobie in there (or so I've heard that's what it smells like)..

07-28-2005 05:07:12 | More by ZAP
IronDjinn

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Another surprise offering from Fish Tale found at the main location of Willow Park Liquors. Came in a 6 pack, the same amount of organic proclamations as the other two I've sampled so far. What surprises me most is this is a PNW IPA that doesn't contain cascade hops.

It pours out a slightly hazed orange-tinged golden hue, a thin splash of loose sticky head that leaves small traces of lacing. While at first I get a sharp whiff of grapefruit and tangerine rinds on the nose, the underlying earthy and musty leather smell that turned me off of their pale ale emanates from the depths and takes over. It also permeates the flavour, in fact it overwhelms it, relieved shortly only on the thankful hop finish, only to boomerang back for an encore on the aftertaste. I do enjoy the hop presence this beer has to offer, but the balance that the malt tries to maintain totally throws me off, far too earthy for my tastes in relation to this style. The mouthfeel is mildly creamy, but takes a watery turn on the finish. When the hops wear off I am still left with the taste in my mouth that makes me think I've been chewing on old leather, which is not very appealing. It's not a bad IPA, and I still find it drinkable above that one flaw (or personal bias), but it's not something that I'd reach for as a session ale, or even really crave more than one in a sitting. Their pale ale styles haven't really impressed me thus far, but I'd still go back for more of their Amber ale.

06-27-2005 03:04:39 | More by IronDjinn
Cwrw

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Fish Tale's IPA poured with a light-white head, with large bubbles on the bottom and finer ones on top. Pouring gently into the glass gives this beer just enough head. It seems to leave rings of sticky lacing. The thin layer remained for the whole drink, small but creamy. The beer is a rusty water colour, with hints of honey and red. The aroma is a wallop of peppery orange, soapy floweriness, numbing clove that tickles the nose, astringent phenol chemicals, dark leather, and a very slight hint of pale malt. There is a good deal of complexity from the hops. I detect a little wateriness even before I sip the beer--perhaps some hard water aroma. Pumpkin pie and spices play out in the front of the tongue, followed by peppery tang in the middle, and finishing with a dryness that I find a little unpleasant. The hops are pretty astringent in this beer's taste, almost harsh on the tongue. Decent mouth-puckering dryness in the finish, and always, throughout the whole experience, that peppered feeling in the mouth. Besides this there are flavours of stewed beef, dryish green leaf, the bitterness of baker's chocolate, oak or pine needles, and some slightly off-putting taste I cannot really describe, but I think it is a mixture of the spicy hops and the alcohol that makes this beer's otherwise tasty experience a little hard to drink. The mouthfeel, whilst warming, is a little too dry for the style. Too, the lack of significant malt body makes the spices a little too overpowering for exceptional drinkability. The soapy, fatty hop presence simply makes it a little hard to consume. My verdict: beautiful appetising organic hops in the aroma, and a very tasty beer overall, but it does not lend itself to drinkability or balance. Nevertheless, this is worth trying at least once.

05-14-2005 02:32:25 | More by Cwrw
gbontrag

Colorado

52F
Pretty dusty golden, clear. Nice lofty froth collapses and holds long enough to cling to my whiskers. Quite aromatic. Smells of fresh cut kale, chard and collard greens, a little citrusy.
That's tasty. The hops jump out of the glass and french kiss with a resinous fresh oregano, sage smooch. The more I lick the more stems of alfalfa and grass I get. A bit of dandelion and spinach. Smooth malt character is just barely sweet enough to temper the hops. There's a puffed rice chewiness to this, which isn't really chewy at all. It's good. This would make a great sauce for wild salmon. Great quality burps.

04-29-2005 06:43:46 | More by gbontrag
GimmeAles

Washington

2.7/5  rDev -23.5%

First time trying this varietal Fish brew and first certified organic brew I've had as well. Only a few, simple ingredients in beer, could only be made better being organic right? Dissapointingly, no. Appearance is nice - dark-golden/light amber color, lively off-white, 2-finger head which receeds to a silky skim leaving light lace on the glass.

Smell is light on the hops (even for a Pale Ale in my opinion), malty, biscuit-like notes as well, with only the slightly suggestion of citrus or pine.

Taste is dissapointing. Perhaps it's because of the refined punch of the Connaught Ranger IPA (Far West Ireland Brewing) I have on-tap at home, but the Fish was flat, lifeless and musty (bread mold or wet cardboard comes to mind). Really, such a strange and unexpected taste, that it feels strange to type it. No rich hop oils to coat the mouth, though it is smooth. No sweet/bitter balance, no vanilla, caramel, or pineapple to be found, just a light Pale Ale without much character.

"Spawned-on" date of bottle is January '05 like charlatan's, so perhaps this was just from a sub-par batch. With the wet-carboard element it could be an oxidized or light-stuck beer, but I'm not sure the simple use of organic ingredients is the cause for such lack of flavour. I will not look for it again.

04-10-2005 06:16:14 | More by GimmeAles
charlatan

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours with honey colour and a head which doesn't stick around. Smells of grapefruit with a hint of yeast. The malt and some yeast flavour take away from the decent citrus hops, turning this into more of a pale ale than a northwest IPA. I am not impressed with this brew. It seems a little stale, yet the bottle indicates it is only two months old ("spawned" in January). Definitely not on a par with other Fish Tale ales I have sampled.

03-22-2005 09:29:56 | More by charlatan
WesWes

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a mild malt scent that boasts of pale, carapils, and bisquit malts. It has a mild citrus hop aroma as well. It's well balanced, but not hopped enough for my tastes. The taste is decent also. It has a nice bitter hop flavor, but the malts seem a bit too sweet. It goes down easy and finishes refreshingly bitter and earthy. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking beer, although it has a few flaws. It's nothing I'd go out of my way to find, but it'll do in a pinch.

03-11-2005 22:42:01 | More by WesWes
cokes

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Fuzzy amber with a pocked head of khaki.
Fragrant of sugared oranges and pine sap.
Enters with bready canvas, that turns vaguely toasty, and moreso sweet with caramel maltiness that tends towards fruit as it warms. Ventures into peach, blood oranges, and pineapple. The hops carry a grassy, metallic, mild bitterness, with softer eruptions of grapefruit and pine.
Medium in build, softly carbonated. Lacks oomph and I'm not sure about the "India" part, but it remains a nice, if standard, session Indialmost Pale Ale.

12-03-2004 07:48:17 | More by cokes
Skidz

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours out light gold and sits a hazy amber brown in the glass with a creamy off-white head with nice, fine lacings.

Smells of caramel and malts with a hint of fruity esters; canned peaches and pears. Hops offer a mild and bland grassy, green aroma.

Tastes lightly sweet and malty up front with upcoming hop spiciness. Faint toasty flavors, like it was left over from last christmas. Hop bitterness is medium and lends a bit of oily, lime rind-like flavors on the finish.

Clean and crisp in the mouth with a fair amount of small, tingling carbonation. Medium bodied.

I doubt this would make it to the Indies, and I kind of wish it didn't make it to my fridge. Hopping was less than adequate and lacks the attidute of a true American IPA. If I'm at a party and there's no hops, I'm like, "Hey Goober! Where's the hops?!"

11-17-2004 04:56:18 | More by Skidz
freed

Oregon

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

I had this back in college and didn't think much of it. Someone left some in my fridge, so now's my chance to review it.

The body is somewhat hazy and a deep straw in color, but lacks any head. The fizzing at the immediate pouring seemed a bad omen.

The aroma is predominantly of malt and maybe a little of metal silo. Its quite and off-putting aroma for an IPA.

The taste is rather dull - heavy on the rough hewn malt flavor, hops are really kind of an afterthought, flavor-wise. Its more of a british hop profile, so nothing really stands out. I think that maybe there were more hops on the label an in the beer.

The mouth is left drier that it ought to, and I recognize the sensation from early homebrews. I'd be inclined to say it was a bad bottle, but its exactly as I remember it. Needs more hops. Much more.

10-03-2004 02:27:03 | More by freed
woemad

Washington

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

OK, a little background as to why I bought an entire 6-pack of this very average IPA. I had to go to the Olympia area for my brother's wedding. I had gone from Spokane to Kennewick (where my parents live) to pick up a much larger car of theirs in order to haul some supplies for the wedding. I left for the west side around 6AM, and got into Olympia around 10 or so. As I wasn't meeting my brother until 1PM in Montesano, I decided I could visit the Fishbowl - then discovered I'd forgotten to print out directions from beerfly the night before! I stopped at a Thriftway down by the waterfront to get the address out of a phonebook at an adjacent payphone - and discovered the phonebook had been stolen. So, I walked into the store, looked for a Fish 6-pk, bought one of the ipa ('cause I'd never seen it in Spokane), took the bottles out and used the map on the bottom to find the brewpub! So- on with the beer...

Poured an orangey gold color. Great big creamy off-white head. Moderate amount of lace.

Smell was a little bit weak. There was a citrusy hoppy aroma, and some weak malt odor in the background. Sadly, that was it. This was an IPA? From the Northwest?!

Taste was very similar to the smell. Yes, the hops were prominent, but they were so one-dimensional. The maltyness in the background seemed very half-hearted as well. There is a pleasing, almost piney dry aspect, but it's just not enough to redeem this to any level beyond acceptable. Just like Fish's organic pale ale, I'm left with the impression organic must mean bland, yet this is the same brewery that makes Mudshark, Poseidon, Detonator, Monkfish and Leviathan, not to mention the tasty Leavenworth beers. Go figure.

Mouthfeel was average. This is a medium bodied ale. No surprises here.

This is drinkable in the sense that it's better than a typical macro beer. However, I was looking forward to a good IPA with some bite. The fact that Fish is crafting an IPA of organic components is admirable, but that bit of labeling shouldn't be the best thing about the beer, dammit!

08-30-2004 19:43:41 | More by woemad
ALESwhatCURESya

2.33/5  rDev -34%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very Cool Label....certified organic. The head comes on strong but leaves in a hurry. The aroma has a pretty nice hop smell but is followed by a strong manure type aroma. The taste is not that much better. Bitter but not in a good way. Very one sided and uneventful. Ok shot at an IPA, but not very alluring!

08-25-2004 23:50:12 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured a highly carbonated light amber-gold that is brilliantly clear (when served at 50 degrees). This beer has some major head retention qualities as the white head jumps um fast and stays there leaving thick lace as the beer is drank. Aroma is a little subtle for an IPA although there is a nice hop aroma that is a bit citrussy with some earthy tones. The flavor is exquisite as the clean hop bitterness is balanced with malt just enough to present a perfect segue into the hop flavors. The bitterness dosen't detract from the pure hop flavor and the comes back in the finish to let you know that you are drinking an IPA. There is also a slight hint of fruitiness that i can't quite place my finger on as well. The finish is very clean with not much lingering hop bitterness making this beer have a nice smooth quality. The hop balance is one of the most notable qualities of this ale as the flavors blend very well. The carbonation level was just enough send up tiny streams of bubbles and this contributed to a very nice smoothness. Very drinkable.

07-29-2004 05:05:31 | More by RenoZymurgist
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Lightly hazed orange-amber topped by a large, moderately firm head of cream-colored foam. A soft mesa appears as the cap slowly melts to a one-finger cap. A better than average amount of glass coverage seals the deal on a very nice appearance. Pleasant nose, but a bit too subdued. Citrusy hops (Centennial) that are more orangey than anything else supercede pale malt. Again, not a lot happening.

I'm not impressed with the flavor at all. IPAs should be all about the hops, but they aren't overly abundant in this beer. There is a sharp bitterness, but not a whole lot of hop flavor. C'mon guys, Centennial is a kick-butt hop, take off the reins. There's too much malt on board that, unfortunately, gets in the way of the hop love. I also think that I can appreciate alcohol on the palate; almost inconceivable in a beer with an ABV barely above 5%.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by some recently sampled, incredible IPAs and this beer simply suffers in comparison. I don't think that's it though. I think it's just that Fish Tale India Pale Ale isn't very good. Don't go out of your way to grab this fish by the tail.

06-04-2004 21:45:46 | More by BuckeyeNation
BeerAngel

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours a very pale copper color with a nice frothy cream-colored head. The aroma consists of a sweet baked bread aroma with a nice sweet fruit and citrus hop that is blended nicely. The taste is a pungent citrusy hop with a light floral slide into the biscuity malt background making a complex mix of nice flavors. This is a smooth medium bodied beer that finishes with a dry bitter end.

Notes: This is one underrated beer imho! It is complex and very well balanced for the style. It's drinkability is exceptional for a hoppy beer like this. Very nice! Cheers!

04-18-2004 03:34:03 | More by BeerAngel