Leavenworth Blackbird Island Hopfenweizen - Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub

Leavenworth Blackbird Island HopfenweizenLeavenworth Blackbird Island Hopfenweizen

Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub visit their website
Washington, United States

Weizenbock |  6.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: rab53 on 08-28-2013)
3.18/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Big foam on the first few attempts at a pour, but it settled down eventually. Handsome amber color. Quite sharply carbonated. Kind of a pulpy, cardboard aroma.

I guess the idea is a hoppier sort of dark wheat bock. It's not very strong tasting and the body is on the watery side. Spritzy mouthfeel. Somewhat sweet but that seems to be knocked down by the club soda intensity. This reminds me of bran muffins. The hops are rather herbal and not as aromatic as you'd hope. Slight bitter aftertaste.

Interesting but rather peculiar brew. Worth experimenting with, but this seems coarse and diluted in flavor. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at the Fish Tale brewpub in Everett.

mactrail, May 11, 2014
3.15/5  rDev 0%

New beer. New (to me) brewery. 'Alpine-style wheat ale' per the label.

Overcarbonated. Took me 4-5 pours to finish the bomber. Head finally settled to a 1/4" white foam. Slightly cloudy golden color.
Smells of weak grassy and spicy hops.
Similar spicy elements follow through in the flavor. Tastes almost like some 'white IPAs' that I have had. There is just something lacking, maybe more wheat presence?
Fairly flat, but not detrimental to mouthfeel.
Wouldn't return to this beer, though it could just be me.

rab53, Aug 28, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Boone757, Aug 29, 2014
3.09/5  rDev -1.9%

I bought a bottle of Hopfenweizen in a bottle store, poured in to a pub glass.

Pours a dirty gold color, cloudy, with a huge foamy head.

Smell is a faint stale grain aroma.

Taste is a hoppy wheat flavor. Kind of like an over hopped American wheat ale.

Mouthfeel is medium, perhaps just a little chewy.

Oveall and average beer and an off-beat style. I'm not really looking for hops in my wheat ale, so I would probably not have this again.

RJLarse, Jul 27, 2014
3.04/5  rDev -3.5%

fishguyac, Aug 22, 2014

brpendergast85, Aug 25, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

mlklein27, Jul 25, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

Interesting beer. By the name Hopfenweizen, I expected a hopped up wheat. I guess that is what it was, I guess. Hard to pour, The head is huge and foamy. Aroma is mild and almost non-existent. The flavor definately has hop flavor and I get a hint of the wheat presence. The carbonation is JUST TOO MUCH to enjoy this beer properly. If the CARBONATION WAS LESS, I might be able to rate better and enjoy more !!

hophugger, Sep 07, 2014
Leavenworth Blackbird Island Hopfenweizen from Fish Brewing Company / Fishbowl Brewpub
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.