Detroit Beer Co. The Detroit Dwarf - Detroit Beer Co.

Detroit Beer Co. The Detroit DwarfDetroit Beer Co. The Detroit Dwarf

good

Detroit Beer Co. visit their website

Altbier |  6.80% ABV

"This beer has won a bronze, silver and gold as an Alt at the Great american beer festival, and now a silver at the world beer cup as an Alt."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2005)
Reviews by divineaudio:
divineaudio

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

from notes.

pitcher into a pint glass.

color is a gorgeous transparent copper. forms a dense, rocky, off white head that lasts forever and leaves thick sticky lace behind.

nose of grapefruit and orange with something darker like raisin or grape. taste does not follow but instead offers up toffee malts with notes of black tea and piney hop bitterness. finish is very dry and cleans up nicely.

light in body with a smooth, creamy feel.

highly drinkable and almost sessionable certainly one of the more unique beers i have had. seems to be to style. maybe not something i would have a lot of, but i'd definitely have it again.

05-23-2010 01:28:17 | More by divineaudio
oberon

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Heard I had to go and get a dwarf after the Tigers game Thursday so headed on over,the beer poured a hazed light brownish almost rust color with a perfect one finger head that stuck for the duration of the whole pint.Pleasant aromas but nothing earth shattering toasted grain and some herbal/grassy hop notes with a hint of lemon oil.Grainy notes with a lighter toastiness up front with a nice sharp hop bite and lemon note in the finish.At 6.8%alc it goes down very easy and is tasty not overbearing in any sense,a solid beer.

05-07-2006 21:31:40 | More by oberon

11-21-2011 00:02:37 | More by cgrz
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. No date or info.

A - Dwarf pours with a cream head that levels out to a small stature. Low patchy lace clings above the bronzy amber beer that's hazy from floating particles.

S - Interesting fruity hints of apricot and white grape blend interestingly with a low scent of toffee and nuts. The malt smells very dry and dusty and compliments the earthy, low-level hops nicely.

T - This overarching fruitiness isn't bad in flavor but seems out of place in this beer. It changes quickly into a grass-clipping filled, dusty and dry, lightly nutty garbled mess though. The rustic flavor seems to bounce all over the place haphazardly.

M - Medium-bodied with a dry and dirty texture, the Dwarf is lacking. It is smooth going down but it could use a crisper feel to it.

D - It progressed to a drain pour slowly. It's not a beer I'm keen on finishing as the texture and flavor don't appeal to me in the least.

07-12-2010 00:14:01 | More by BeerFMAndy
DaveMiddlewood

05-21-2013 12:48:18 | More by DaveMiddlewood
tommy5

08-07-2014 23:33:25 | More by tommy5
Proteus93

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

A: This doesn't appear to be a keller bier at all, but rather an amber/red ale. It doesn't appear to be unfiltered, as it's a crisp and clear pour - plenty of bubbling going on, and a nice rolling head. Looks great.

S: Sweet malts, fruity aromas - particularly apple. Hints of bubblegum, and a light, leafy hop balance.

T: Sugary malt, a slightly tart fruitiness, some notes of bubblegum again, and a hoppy bitterness that slips out of the initial tart flavours.

M: Surprisingly full bodied, with an almost chewy creaminess. While a fuller bodied beer, it still manages to be quite refreshing.

D: A pretty quality brew, and easy drinker. Alcohol is hidden beautifully, but the content is a little higher than ideal for something like this. That said, one that I'd find to be a bit underrated... this is good drinking.

09-08-2008 21:39:00 | More by Proteus93
ballertim

03-08-2012 03:51:55 | More by ballertim
mikediesel124

02-05-2012 02:59:42 | More by mikediesel124
DiverDan88

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Schooner on tap.

A- Darker brown, plenty of visibility throughout.

S- Nothing overpowering, actually didn't get much of an aroma at all off of it.

T- Good, pleasant at first with slightly sweeter tones. More malt than I expected from an amber lager.

M- Thin, very like a lager.

D- Ehh, not anything I would care to session. By the time I got down to the end of the schooner I was basically done with it and ready for a different beer. But all in all, can be pounded if you can get past the flavor issues.

04-27-2010 19:39:07 | More by DiverDan88
HardyA

04-01-2014 00:55:38 | More by HardyA
StoutHunter

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

I picked up a bottle of Detroit Beer Co's The Detroit Dwarf today for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I was trying to get some styles that I don't drink too often and I thought I would give this beer a shot, I have been seeing a lot of this brewery's beer around up lately and I am interested to see if it's any good, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it isn't too eye catching but it has very Detroit like look to it, I can dig it. It poured a very nice looking ruby red copper color with three fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This is one good looking beer.

S- The aroma is pretty simple and straightforward. It starts off with loads of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness to them and impart a caramel and brown bread like aroma. Next comes a slight fruity and nutty aroma then some spicy and earthy hops. The aroma is what I would expect from an Altbier.

T- The taste is pretty damn similar to the aroma. It starts off with loads of malts that impart some nice caramel, brown bread and grainy flavors. There is a good amount nuttiness that shows up towards the middle. After that is a light amount of spicy and earthy hops. The finish has a low amount of bitterness and a bready and nutty aftertaste. The flavor is nice but I wish there were some more hop flavors to balance out all those malts and the additional nutty flavor was a nice addition.

M- Really smooth, slightly creamy, medium bodied and it had a high amount of medium carbonation. No complaints here the mouthfeel is spot on.

Overall I thought this was a good Altbier and nice easy drinking beer. This beer didn't have a ton of flavor but what was there was good and true to style but the balance could be worked on a little. This beer had great drinkability, it went down really smooth and makes for a good malt forward beer that went perfect with a steak and it wasn't too heavy, I could drink three or four of these in a sitting. What I liked most about this beer was the drinkability, mouthfeel, and appearance, all three of those were on the above average end for the style. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of balance in the aroma and taste, the aroma was more balanced then the taste but it still needed some more hops to balance out all those malts. I would for sure buy this beer again when looking for a smooth easy drinking beer, this would make a good choice for taking to party's, it's sessionable while still having some good flavors. I recommend giving this beer a try, if you are a fan of the style you should find it as a pretty good representation of the style. This is the second beer I have had from The Detroit Beer Co. and so far they have both been pretty solid, they haven't wowed me but they are all solid for their style, so this brewery may have potential for greater things, I will be on the look out. So far this has been the best Altbier I have had to date and the best beer I have had from this brewery, good job guys, keep making solid beers in The D.

01-01-2012 04:27:49 | More by StoutHunter
Zaphog

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

03-27-2012 16:29:41 | More by Zaphog
BelgianAleSlut

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Recommended to me by a local beverage warehouse clerk.
I told him that I didn't like red beers, but he said this one is a little different. I attempted to rate the beer on style vs personal preferences.

Pours a nice reddish-rootbeer color with nice head that lingers throughout. Smells sweet, akin to candy apple coating or redpop, with a hint of hop aroma.

Taste is similar to a red ale, sweet with its candy-like quality. Bitterness is present which helps to keep the sweetness from making me stick my tongue out.

I am able to drink through this even with my dislike of red beers.

Not too bad even though I will never get it again. May try on draught next time I go down for a Tigers game.

06-29-2008 14:51:49 | More by BelgianAleSlut
CMUbrew

01-31-2012 05:50:16 | More by CMUbrew
h00dak

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

I saved my palette all night for this brew and when it finally arrived and I got to take a sip, I was heavily underwhelmed. The taste is sweet, one dimensional, but with a pleasant alcohol burn. Bahama Breeze brews something they call "Aruba Red" and it tastes exactly like this one, only Aruba Red has much more subtlety to it.

This won over a few people at the table so I'm not going to say this is a bad beer. Too much sweetness for me though.

02-15-2010 04:58:46 | More by h00dak

07-02-2013 22:28:09 | More by marcb105
uno99

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Reviewed from a bottle but had on tap at the brewery a few times. served a cold from my beerfridge about 40º

A: poured aggressively into my clean glass leaving a good one inch head that dissipated fairly quickly. A nice amber color with a hint of red.

S: Not getting much on the nose here; very sweet malt dominates.

T: Very balanced; very sweet malt up front and a decent hop bitterness to make you want to tilt the glass again.

M: good carbonation, dosent foam up too much in the mouth

D: I could drink ALOT of these, and at almost 7% ABV that's quite somthing.

This is DBC's signature brew and it deserves the good rating it has here.

12-28-2008 00:08:44 | More by uno99
styleisking

07-28-2014 14:00:58 | More by styleisking
rjcoy06

01-31-2013 22:58:05 | More by rjcoy06
Detroit Beer Co. The Detroit Dwarf from Detroit Beer Co.