Follow our progress ...

People Mover Porter | Detroit Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Detroit Beer Co.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Added by buschbeer on 06-24-2009

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 16
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Being a transit geek, I had to Have this beer. Detroit has very little transit for a large city because, well, they make cars... or had in the past. But in the 1980s, Uncle Sam was giving out money for People Movers which are designed for airports. But Detroit only had busses, so this was a starter kit to see if they could handle rails.

Anyway, Detroit Beer Company's brew-pub is right next to the elevated People Mover. So, I drank it at an outside table and listened to the People Mover go by.

It actually is a flavorful porter, using roasted malts and a few hops in balance as the style suits me.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

growler into a weizen glass.

pours dark brown with some ruby red highlights. had to force a bit of head from it with a hard pour and even still only got about a thin cap of tan foam. some leggy lacing.

smell is pretty standard. roasty with a slight herbal hop character.

taste is similar, but with burnt malt instead of roasted and some coffee or espresso notes. a little hop bitterness comes in at the end but fades away quick. really one dimensional.

medium bodied with not enough carbonation. even though this growler is less than 5 hours old, it already feels like it's going flat.

could easily drink a few of these and barely notice it. i must say i'm a little disappointed in this offering from dbc, most of their beer is pretty good. maybe they are still tinkering with the recipe as the previous reviewer noted. oh well, there are more porters in the world.

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

I poured into a pint glass from my growler to little head (in the fridge for two days). I wish I had done a fresh review but work got in the way. At the brewery it had a small brown head. It is black. It smells of coffee and roasted malts. It is supposed to have some chocolate flavor but the bartender told me the brew master is tinkering with the recipe. It tastes of toffee, coffee and roasted malts. I thought it was the best that I sampled at the brewpub, so that's why I got the growler. I was very impressed with the flavor. It is one of the better porters that I have sampled from a brewpub. Overall, very good, I would definitely get it again the next time that I am in Detroit.

People Mover Porter from Detroit Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.